Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

11 Pieces of Day One DLC and Microtransactions

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

You want to know what is ruining the entire gaming industry? One word: Greed. That and EA.

So Dead Space 3 has 11 pieces of day one DLC and microtransations. Don't you dare defend this crap. Do not say it's optional and they need to make money. They do not care about making a good game only getting your money.

This needs to stop.

Is this the future of gaming? Do we have DLC and microtransactions to look forward to as the driving forces for new games?

You can only milk a cow so much before it kicks you.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by nilden

You want to know what is ruining the entire gaming industry? One word: Greed. That and EA.

So Dead Space 3 has 11 pieces of day one DLC and microtransations. Don't you dare defend this crap. Do not say it's optional and they need to make money. They do not care about making a good game only getting your money.

This needs to stop.

Is this the future of gaming? Do we have DLC and microtransactions to look forward to as the driving forces for new games?

While I tend to agree that this is an absurd level of "nickel and diming,"  telling people "don't you dare defend this crap" is essentially saying "only post if you agree with me!"  Which defeats the point of discussion boards, key word being discussion.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Don't buy it then its not like the first 2 were good games anyway.

I refuse to buy any ea products

If more people did the same, they would go bust and we would have a healthier gaming industry.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

This needs to stop.

While I tend to agree that this is an absurd level of "nickel and diming,"  telling people "don't you dare defend this crap" is essentially saying "only post if you agree with me!"  Which defeats the point of discussion boards, key word being discussion.

On the contrary we can still discuss how wrong and greedy it is while all agreeing it is crap.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Don't you dare defend this crap. Do not say it's optional and they need to make money. They do not care about making a good game only getting your money.

It's optional and as long as people continue to pay for it, they'll continue putting it out.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

This needs to stop.

On the contrary we can still discuss how wrong and greedy it is while all agreeing it is crap.

But can we discuss how wonderful and business savy it is while agreeing its the best thing since sliced bread?

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

It's EA... Did you really expect anything different? They have been doing this for a while now. Pay for the game, get Origin shoved down your throat and then get nickled and dimed for a bunch of content that should have just came with the game. This is EA's modus operandi now. Get used to it if you want to play any EA game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

This needs to stop.

I agree that to a certain extent it's nickel and diming as another indicated.

can you show that it's not optional? Because it looks optional.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i dont join in

i just buy a game  for £15  if i  really really want it   

but  any other game  i normaly only pay   £5-£10

you will be  suprised at how quickly you can pick up  a game from release  till  it drops to  a price i am willing to pay

a couple of years ago my son wanted need for speed  on the xbox for xmas as it was somthing he really wanted i paid £35  

when the game came  it had a faulty disk  we had to send it  back pay an extra £10 

just to get the  game  which he hadnt  played for one second 

while i was waiting  to   get it returned  i saw the same game on the net for £10  delivered

and  it would have  been delivered  probably a week  before  he eventualy  recicved  the disk since then  ive  had my £15 rule in place 

other than GW2 ive pretty much stuck to that rule

dead space 3 within a month  of release  will be £10  on  the net 

its a single player game  why  pay so much  extra just to play it 30 days  sooner at the moment you can get dead space 3 for £26.28    no doubt it will be £10 within a month

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    This isn't as bad as some of EA's releases. All the DLCs look like weapon and armor skins which even if they give you an "edge" doesn't make a difference to me. Most games are too easy, why do I want to pay for something that's going to make it easier? It doesn't add anything to my experience.

If that's the worst EA has in store for Dead Space 3, I think you're overreacting.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Speak with your wallet. Don't buy the game.
  • CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Remember the times where you'd just buy a game without having to worry about day 1 dlc and all that crap?

God and the people saying "uhh it's optional" LOL, no, it's not, if i don't buy all those day 1 dlc i miss content that should have been included in the game, wake up, thanks to people like you this crap will only get worse.

But i don't care, i will play this game and i won't pay a dime, hope EA dies soon.

Remember a time before the internet when pirating wasn't such a big deal, or when developing a video game wasn't a multi million dollar ordeal, or when AAA games could easily cost $80?

The industry has moved toward DLCs for a lot of reasons, don't think you're not part of the "problem".
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

All the "DLC" sounds like a bunch of vanity items and buffs for bots. Is that what people call "DLC" now?

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by zimboy69

i dont join in

i just buy a game  for £15  if i  really really want it   

but  any other game  i normaly only pay   £5-£10

you will be  suprised at how quickly you can pick up  a game from release  till  it drops to  a price i am willing to pay

a couple of years ago my son wanted need for speed  on the xbox for xmas as it was somthing he really wanted i paid £35  

when the game came  it had a faulty disk  we had to send it  back pay an extra £10 

just to get the  game  which he hadnt  played for one second 

while i was waiting  to   get it returned  i saw the same game on the net for £10  delivered

and  it would have  been delivered  probably a week  before  he eventualy  recicved  the disk since then  ive  had my £15 rule in place 

other than GW2 ive pretty much stuck to that rule

dead space 3 within a month  of release  will be £10  on  the net 

its a single player game  why  pay so much  extra just to play it 30 days  sooner at the moment you can get dead space 3 for £26.28    no doubt it will be £10 within a month

i wish i knew where you were getting games.

Originally posted by Crynswind

Remember the times where you'd just buy a game without having to worry about day 1 dlc and all that crap?

God and the people saying "uhh it's optional" LOL, no, it's not, if i don't buy all those day 1 dlc i miss content that should have been included in the game, wake up, thanks to people like you this crap will only get worse.

But i don't care, i will play this game and i won't pay a dime, hope EA dies soon.

You see, that's the problem there and it seems like "gamer logic".

"A game releases and additional content is available, but separate, therefore it must be released with the game."

What actually happens is that the game is developed as a whole and once it's finished a group is then tasked to create the DLC if the game is designed to have DLC.

Problem is that it is a lot faster to create DLC once the game is done. That DLC is figured into the revenue for the game.

so they finish the DLC and what should they do? Wait an obligatory time  period until they can release it? that's just silly.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Don't buy it then its not like the first 2 were good games anyway.

I refuse to buy any ea products

If more people did the same, they would go bust and we would have a healthier gaming industry.

Basphemy! The first game was excellent, especially played in the dark :)

The second was only ok and i imagine this one will be worse.

The first game was excellent. I miss the silent protagonist.
  • KatzukiKatzuki Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I'm sad that i bought the game last year, because i didn't know about this game only being a cow to be over milked, and on top of that, the pc version has been ignored completly, and just a straight copy from console edition? what crap is this?
    Originally posted by Sovrath

"A game releases and additional content is available, but separate, therefore it must be released with the game."

What actually happens is that the game is developed as a whole and once it's finished a group is then tasked to create the DLC if the game is designed to have DLC.

Problem is that it is a lot faster to create DLC once the game is done. That DLC is figured into the revenue for the game.

so they finish the DLC and what should they do? Wait an obligatory time  period until they can release it? that's just silly.

yeah that makes sense (lol no)

They develop the game, cut content and sell it as day 1 dlc, don't be naive.

And this isn't even content, they are selling WEAPONS, come on, WEAPONS.

I hate to say it but you're being naive. No one is talking about "cutting content'. reread what I wrote. that's how it works. Sorry to pull back that veil.

They decide on how much DLC they are going to make and make projections on how much revenue that "should" bring. This is all decide on a business level.

edit: ans as far as "weapons" well, I don't necessarily like that idea but I'm more interested in the " this should be part of the game" part.

If one can accept that part of their projected revenue is creating add-ons, expansions, and download content then it makes sense that they are going to have a variety of types of dlc for players to choose from. It's possible that they have "small" items in order to get quick "at the register" sales. Or maybe for some players they might not spend a lot on larger dlc but might drop a few bucks for the smaller things.

And of course there are the players who will buy everything. As long as the game can bre played without any of this stuff it's "extra".

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Omali

Don't you dare defend this crap. Do not say it's optional and they need to make money. They do not care about making a good game only getting your money.

It's optional and as long as people continue to pay for it, they'll continue putting it out.

Exactly. If the game tanks because people reject the business model, they'll change it. If it sells well, then I guess it's crap to us, but not to a lot of others, which means we can expect more Day 1 DLC in the future.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I hate to say it but you're being naive. No one is talking about "cutting content'. reread what I wrote. that's how it works. Sorry to pull back that veil.

They decide on how much DLC they are going to make and make projections on how much revenue that "should" bring. This is all decide on a business level.

edit: ans as far as "weapons" well, I don't necessarily like that idea but I'm more interested in the " this should be part of the game" part.

If one can accept that part of their projected revenue is creating add-ons, expansions, and download content then it makes sense that they are going to have a variety of types of dlc for players to choose from. It's possible that they have "small" items in order to get quick "at the register" sales. Or maybe for some players they might not spend a lot on larger dlc but might drop a few bucks for the smaller things.

And of course there are the players who will buy everything. As long as the game can bre played without any of this stuff it's "extra".

Projections, right... day 1 dlc is BS, if you are ok with it and want to bend over, fine, but not everyone thinks the same.

lol, selling "extra" content DAY 1 as DLC is a load of BS, it should be included in the game.

Sell DLC after a couple of months, but not on day 1.

"Projections" lol, come on, wake up.

I thought I made that clear in my previous posts?

Do you not know that companies make financial projections based upon previous growth as well as what is in their upcoming Product pipeline?

They then look at what they are offering and figure out ways to add services and monetize as much as they can, based upon what they think it will be worth in the current market as well as what the market will handle?

They finish the game and then work on DLC (though this DLC is probably discussed as they are working on the game) which was already figured into how much profit they will make, and then they make it available at a launch because they want to maximize the profit in that quarter?

None of this even resonates with you? interesting.

*edited for snarkiness image

Projections, right... day 1 dlc is BS, if you are ok with it and want to bend over, fine, but not everyone thinks the same.

Are you going to discuss or are you going to rant? Because I see ranting.

Are you saying that none of what I wrote happens? that companies don't plan out their products and services and just say at the last minute "hey, let's carve out 11 things and charge for them?"

Because that's what your saying.

As far as what I'm ok with, at no point did I say what I was ok with. But then again, your argument seems to be more couched in emotion than anything else.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

But the simple thing is don't be ok with it and bend over.  If you don't buy it, then you aren't bending over.  So don't buy it.  I know I'm not.