Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions, balancing, 3 MMOs in 1, TESO will be a PRO game.

Comments

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

Bethesda does not make broken products.  They have a longstanding history of quality games and storylines, better in fact than Blizzard.

Firstly Bethesda aren't even making this but even if they were their games are ALWAYS buggy. You realise the PC modding community for both Oblivion and Skyrim release unofficial patches to fix things that Bethesda are actually incapable of right?

Every game released by Bethesda has been followed by mods, updates, patches, additional content.  Each game has seen changes adapting it to make it better.  Never has a Bethesda seen an update that 'ruined' it like many other games you've seen.

You can't release anything that 'ruins' a single player game since the player can choose not to buy it if they don't like it. I think many people would agree that Oblivion 'ruined' the series to some extent though as it trivialised so much of the depth that originally made Morrowind so great.

I'm only making the above points to say that for once I think the players should go along and trust the company to make big-boy decisions without second guessing everything they do.  They aren't Aventurine or SOE or NC, they are Bethesda; a bigger more successful and professional company.

Weren't these exact arguments made of Bioware before SWTOR? We all know where that went...

3 MMOs in 1.  Yes, if a company can possibly do it, Bethesda is that company.

It's one MMO split into three parts... I dunno where you're spouting all the DAOC stuff from since no one has any idea how the PvE looks compared to that. Judging by the modern trend of making MMOs smaller and smaller though I think it's VERY unlikely that ESO will have such a large game world unless they have a lot of barren empty space...

Full voice acting for 3 MMOs in 1. Yes, if a company can possibly do it, Bethesda is that company.

You know if Bioware hadn't blown so much of their budget on expensive voice acting they might have had enough spare to make a game that was actually half decent. Just saying...

Faction zoning and locking, be it permanent or temporary, there is no way Bethesda would allow it to be an Achilles heel in their game. 

Yeah because they're so infallible...

Everybody is sick of WoW, thinks GW is a failure, hates Aventurine, and thinks SOE is a greedy scam artist.  Yet, people scream and kick and moan when a company makes a game that doesn't follow the same model.

ESO isn't following a different model though... it's following the same model and restricting content based on faction. People don't like restrictions, hence people don't like the sound of the game.

Just to break it down point by point to make it clear. :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Alberel

It's one MMO split into three parts... I dunno where you're spouting all the DAOC stuff from since no one has any idea how the PvE looks compared to that. Judging by the modern trend of making MMOs smaller and smaller though I think it's VERY unlikely that ESO will have such a large game world unless they have a lot of barren empty space...

Just to break it down point by point to make it clear. :)

devs never said its "3 mmos in 1" -- only ESO fans are making that claim

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Bethesda does not make broken products.  They have a longstanding history of quality games and storylines, better in fact than Blizzard. 

Every game released by Bethesda has been followed by mods, updates, patches, additional content.  Each game has seen changes adapting it to make it better.  Never has a Bethesda seen an update that 'ruined' it like many other games you've seen.

I'm only making the above points to say that for once I think the players should go along and trust the company to make big-boy decisions without second guessing everything they do.  They aren't Aventurine or SOE or NC, they are Bethesda; a bigger more successful and professional company.

Full voice acting for 3 MMOs in 1. Yes, if a company can possibly do it, Bethesda is that company.

Faction zoning and locking, be it permanent or temporary, there is no way Bethesda would allow it to be an Achilles heel in their game. 

Everybody is sick of WoW, thinks GW is a failure, hates Aventurine, and thinks SOE is a greedy scam artist.  Yet, people scream and kick and moan when a company makes a game that doesn't follow the same model.

Since your entire premise is wrong and everyone already pointed out your misconception... Zenimax is making the game, not Bethesda.

So no, don't trust the company.

In fact, do the opposite.  Name 1 game Zenimax has made.  NONE.  ESO will be their first one....

I swear their are some seriously IQ deprived people on here.  THES iZ THA INTERNETZ.  Atleast fact check yourself before you post.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    How many MMOs have Bethesda made OP, your view is like cheerleading Ford for announcing an Aeroplane, although bugs in an MMO are less terminal.

Ford did make airplanes.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout_Metal_Airplane

BMW started with Airplanes :-)  It COULD happen.  The likelihood of it happening is another arguement.

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

Currently mmo-companies are struggling to generate enough content for a single game. Why should i believe that zenimax can manage to create content for the 3 mmo's you're talking about? Its very unlikely for releasse and even more unbelievable for future development as zenimax won't get 3x the money from subs or cash-shop compared to other companies. In a few cases we already see that we don't get 3 good mmo's. Just look at races. We don't get 3 mmo's with a decent amount of races. We get only 3 per faction wich is a lousy number.

..and about Bathesda. They don't develop this game and in my opinion they are not as great as you want them to be. The vanilla ES-games had a lot of issues and the modders were the ones that made the games great. Something ESO does not have.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Lol, if you read the entry for
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout_Metal_Airplane
    You will see Ford planes were buggy messes, kind of emphasizes the point about Bethesda and MMOs
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Lol, if you read the entry for
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout_Metal_Airplane
    You will see Ford planes were buggy messes, kind of emphasizes the point about Bethesda and MMOs

I did, and I found it funny.  But the point was is they DID make them.  More to the fact BMW made really GOOD planes and then switched to cars.  :-)  But yea... the entire response was ONLY because Ford made airplanes, not necessary because I disagree :-P

P.S.  It's always fun quoting wiki's in forums because I learn tons of stuff that I'd never have found otherwise.  I knew they made planes at one point but all the other information was like a cherry on top.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

I dont get the complaints about how a Breton cant go to Skyrim, etc. No, they cant, but when playing Skyrim, could you go to Morrowind or Cyrodil?? No, the only race that could visit their homeland in Skyrim was Nords. Did you feel restricted in Skyrim, just because you knew of the other regions' existence but couldnt go there?

Each alliance's PvE region will be (much) larger than an ES region. Plus you have a huge PvP region. If you want to visit another alliance region, you can re-roll. Just like in in ES, if you want to visit Skyrim, play Skyrim, and if you want to visit Morrowind, play that game.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Eol-

I dont get the complaints about how a Breton cant go to Skyrim, etc. No, they cant, but when playing Skyrim, could you go to Morrowind or Cyrodil?? No, the only race that could visit their homeland in Skyrim was Nords. Did you feel restricted in Skyrim, just because you knew of the other regions' existence but couldnt go there?

My Breton could visit Skyrim. Every race could visit Skyrim and if you did a small modification of the game you could visit all of Tamriel. No ES-game prevented certain races from visiting existent content, ESO does. In addition a lot players felt restricted in ES-games. There is a reason for projects like the one that expands Morrowind from just Vvardenfell to the whole province.

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I think this game is going to be great, and I can't wait to play it.

If the game is not great, I'm going to stop playing it and find something else to play.

The entire point of my topic is that people spend so much time speculating about what a game is going to be and what they want it to be that they stop realizing that the game is made by the game developers and not by their opinions.

Every post I see on this forum is people cheerleading their favorite game or detracting every aspect of a game that the developers didn't interview them for.  I know in the United States the schools obsess with Self-Esteem, but quit esteeming yourself so high that you think your opinion actually has any chance of changing the outcome of a mmo game, especially if it's a rude negative opinion that isn't invited.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Bethesda does not make broken products.  

Er, actually, Bethesda has a reputation for releasing broken products. Daggerfall, Oblivion, New Vegas, FO3, Skyrim...

Bethesda barely releases any patches or content post launch. And mods will not be in an MMO. And why trust the company that is making it clear that they're just copying WoW and ruining RvR with this mega server BS? And a company that has been dumbing down its products ever year... and 3 MMOs in one? Having 3 factions does not equal 3 MMOs... 

And, on top of that, they aren't making this game. 

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Bethesda does not make broken products.  

Er, actually, Bethesda has a reputation for releasing broken products. Daggerfall, Oblivion, New Vegas, FO3, Skyrim...

Bethesda barely releases any patches or content post launch. And mods will not be in an MMO. And why trust the company that is making it clear that they're just copying WoW and ruining RvR with this mega server BS? And a company that has been dumbing down its products ever year... and 3 MMOs in one? Having 3 factions does not equal 3 MMOs... 

And, on top of that, they aren't making this game. 

How are they copying wow? And how are mega servers spoiling RvR when campaigns act the same as servers do?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Because you can swap campaign a lot easier than you can go reroll on another server.

Because you can join a friends campaign as a guest.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Because you can swap campaign a lot easier than you can go reroll on another server.

And, it really hurts the suspension of disbelief. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    You don't know how big the world is Mael.

If the world is as big as daoc the various "waagh I can't go everywhere" whines are moot. If the world is as big as daoc you will get at least double the pve content in your "locked faction" as you do in the entire game with recent mmos like tsw, swtor, vanilla rift and gw2.

People forget just how big the world was in daoc. It is like 3 separate pve mmos with a shared pvp mmo. It is 4 games in one compared to modern mmos.

But is it fun?  If it isn't, it's just going to be 4 times the disappointment, a huge world of boredom.  That's a possiblity.

Also try not to defend the weak idea of faction locks, it's beneath you.

I wont comment on the guesting thing because besides the word "guesting" we have no idea how it works

We do know that changing campaigns will "cost" and be limited (for the exact reason your scared of the mega server), so until we know how steep the cost is and what limits there are you cant say its any easier/harder than paying a small fee to transfer server

More fun than press space bar while leveling then sit in a city queueing to go an instance "lobby endgame" style mmos yeah.

HUGE open world raids anyone can join in with. Open dungeons you just rock up and take part in. Outdoor content you need to group up to progress.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if you think having 3 factions locked to their own maps and unable to go out of their map its considered 3 games in one then you dont know what you are talking about... That only means every faction is limited to explore only a fraction of the entire game world.... that is bullcrap. The elder scrolls has always been about exploration... if they plan to keep factions locked like that for pve, then they better change the name of the mmo to something else.

Eir

No I think HARD faction locks are a necessity for good rvr style pvp. It's the reason planetside 2 is considerably more balanced than gw2, tsw and swtor.

However what they need in my opinion is different servers with different rulesets.

Those that favour rvr first play on a rvr server with rules as is (except this stupid guesting idea)

Those that favour going anywhere and pve, play on a pve server where there are no locks and you can group / guild with anyone, but the cyrodil pvp is just for fun.

Those that favour go anywhere and pvp, play on ffa pvp servers where guilds control territory in cyrodil and players can enter enemy territory.
    Deakon
    No matter how many alliance points it costs to change campaign, its still a heck of a lot less to loose than having to reroll on another server.
    Originally posted by rojo6934

if you think having 3 factions locked to their own maps and unable to go out of their map its considered 3 games in one then you dont know what you are talking about... That only means every faction is limited to explore only a fraction of the entire game world.... that is bullcrap. The elder scrolls has always been about exploration... if they plan to keep factions locked like that for pve, then they better change the name of the mmo to something else.

If you roll 3 toons each on a different faction you will get 100% new content is what I think he is getting at

Less repetition means more replayability and locking faction areas gives players a reason to replay.

Deakon
    No matter how many alliance points it costs to change campaign, its still a heck of a lot less to loose than having to reroll on another server.

Unless you just switch server which is a service available in nearly all mmos

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Hey SWTOR was 8 MMO's in 1 you know. So 3 is nothing , it will last us like 2 weeks ( PVE wise ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    Either way I think they could pull it off. Bethesda is still publishing it. I look forward to trying it out. If you take the game for what it is it will still be great. 
    Most new mmos, they give you some sort of separate racial starter zone, then they funnel you into the same mid game zones, end game zones and dungeons as all the other factions. If youre lucky you might get a choice of a couple of zone paths mid game.
    Originally posted by BadOrb

Hey SWTOR was 8 MMO's in 1 you know. So 3 is nothing , it will last us like 2 weeks ( PVE wise ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Not the same thing at all, swtor had 8 class stories but the content was 95% the same on the same faction and about 75% the same if you rolled the oposite faction, and guess why? because the areas available where the same no matter what