Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what role do u love playing in a dungeon?

evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

As for me, i love healing, i do get blamed alot for wipes but the need to pay attention to everyone's health bar, status, surrounding  and the constant pressure makes me choose this role over others.

I like tanking but  i felt that tanking has way too much responsibility like threat management, knowing how to pull and also how to go about doing the dungeon. 

Im curious about the preference of you guys, pls participate in the poll and discuss your reasons ^^

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Tankings my favorite.

But i don't mind switching to any role..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I enjoy healing and once I get used to a game and how the different healing classes work I can be badass at it - I am always nervous about it though and don't want to cause a wipe ^^ I hate it when people blame the healer, even if it wasn't their fault...

I also enjoy dps (ranged and melee) I tend to play hunters/rangers in all my MMO's, as well as a few melee dps.  Never been the tank, so not sure if I would enjoy it or not!

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I prefer healing or tanking, but due to a lack of tanks in just about every MMO I tend to spend just about all my time tanking. I loved playing my Enchanter in EQ, but very few games actually require crowd control anymore so it seems to be an abandoned role.

As long as I have something useful to do in the group besides being the lolDPS I'm happy.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I play casters in a DPS or CC role, although its hard to find a MMO that makes a good crowd controller.  My fav CC classes were the sorc from DAoC and the illy/coercer from EQ2.  Right now I'm toying with GW2's Mesmer and it seems to be working for me.  DPS-wise I love the necro, although I've been known to play wizards.  DAoC's Animist and Theurgist were pretty good as well.

I also like the battle cleric role, but for solo or small groups.  While I really love playing healers, the way they are generally treated makes me loathe grouping with them.  Too many people like to finger point rather than accept responsibility for their own mistakes, or simply realize that sometimes shit happens.  There are too many jerks that like to dump on the healer, so I prefer to play the more melee oriented ones and head out on my own.  RIFT allows for a good battle cleric build, as does Vanguard and EQ2.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i enjoy support roles but really loathe raid bar healing...  Mystic healing in Tera is actually pretty fun as was Mage chloro healing in Rift.. but games with a support role class which is heavy on the CC is my kind of class.. looking forward to trying the control wizard in neverwinter

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

MDPS and off-tank.  Chasing down adds or runners so DPS can finish them.

Even better if I can off-heal in a pinch.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Healer alot of the time but if the MMO has a good support class then I often try to play that.  In WoW, I loved the Paladin and Druid playstyles before Blizzard removed 'Hybrids'.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Originally posted by Robokapp

... there's a female player in the back who spends her entire time making sure I'm healthy, and my welbeing makes her happy.

Shhh...  just don't tell him that the "female" happy to keep him alive is actually a guy in New Jersey eating burritos while playing healer *grin*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Quesa
    Healer alot of the time but if the MMO has a good support class then I often try to play that.  In WoW, I loved the Paladin and Druid playstyles before Blizzard removed 'Hybrids'.

I miss my Druid.  *sniff*  He was great fun.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Personally I like to tank, but if I had to choose I'd like a tank/DPS hybrid. So far my favorite class of all MMOs I've played was WoW's feral druid around TBC. I loved switching between bear and cat depending on the situation.

Heck, I haven't played WoW in years... and sometimes while tanking in other games (like in TSW), I still feel naked when going in to tank without turning into a bear.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Tank.

I like being in control of the pace of pulling and ensuring the group has a good time.  Being a good tank makes plenty of dps and healer friends for future dungeon runs.  Nothing worse than a tank that can't hold aggro or pulls too much/ too little.

I usually play all the roles (alt-o-holic), so I know what to expect from the other players.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Rdps.

Hunter/Ranger was my favorite toons in PnP D&D.

that made no sense did it ?

It made fine sense.  I enjoy taking on the role of my character and acting it out based on the characters personality.  For me it helps them come alive.  It's like I'm (IRL) the puppeteer directing my character as its own person in a fictional environment.  I feel it contributes a sense of additional content beyond that provided by the developers.

I've played sluts, pervs, lesbians, muscle bound body builder types with huge egos and inferiority complexes, gay-ish male mages, and plenty more.

This aspect of gaming is one reason I find it very difficult to engage in developer provided personal storyline.  Often they contradict how I see the character and spoil that side of the fun.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

What happened to CC/Support? :P

I am all for adding more roles (some maybe not "needed" but helpful). I don't believe in the "Holy Trinity" in that I mean I don't want only 3 obvious roles. There's room for more.

My favorite roles in an adventurous party is:

1. Tanking

2. Healer

3. Support/CC

4. Pulling + DPS

5. Pure DPSing

6. Buffing/Debuffing

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by XAPGames

... there's a female player in the back who spends her entire time making sure I'm healthy, and my welbeing makes her happy.

Shhh...  just don't tell him that the "female" happy to keep him alive is actually a guy in New Jersey eating burritos while playing healer *grin*

Or a Transvestite/Transgender from New Jersey eating Burritos :P

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Tanking. You can say in what direction the group is going (well unless the group is clueless) and you dont have to stand back.

Healing and dps are OK too though. Healing means I can do something if people are in danger - more than a tank, anyway. Dps means I can relax and start slowly until I can be sure the tank got aggro.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I don't care for trinity combat or anything based on threat manipulation but I play whatever is needed. I'm a team player.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I have played tanks and healers, and both can be fun.

My favorite thing though, is to cast spells. I like to blow things up, from a distance.

I almost always play a wizard of some type. This goes back 30 years to my pen and paper days.

I just love being a wizard I guess.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

missed a role - Utility

something that the Evequest classes Bard and Enchanter would be categorized as

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Gimp, let someone else make all the decisions.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I prefer versatile roles. In a sandbox I tend to make well rounded characters as do most. I like to DD with the option of tanking and support/utility. 

In Age of Conan it was Bear Shaman because of the versatility. 

In FFXI it was Monk and then Blue Mage because of the versatility. 

It would be nice to see more versatile classes in games. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Nadia

missed a role - Utility

something that the Evequest classes Bard and Enchanter would be categorized as

Yeah, I agree, Utility classes which would do CC or Off heal with occasional DPS were always my favorite role, and  largely absent from modern MMOs these days.

I used to like to do main healing when the combat pacing was slower, but in today's titles the rush, rush, rush mentatlity is a bit too much for my blood pressure, so I can't really perform in that role any more.

So RDPS is probably where I'm going to focus my time going forward, especially if any involve CC/Support.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Healer
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by XAPGames

it does not matter...healer's real life gender is irrelevant. in my fantasy its a female.

since we'll never have irl interactions, the irl gender plays no role...only the in-game role is relevant. it's a RPG afterall. Any interaction with that person will strictly involve interracting with its online persona anyway.

without going into a long essay...what character you play will affect how you interact with others. your level of confidence, positioning, calling things out, aggressiveness etc. eventually combined with your irl personality, a pseudo-persona develops that is a function of yourself as well a how you see the game world thru your character's eyes. aka how confident you are in your ability to play your character.

it's that pseudo-persona that I care about interacting with not your irl one. I interact with people irl for their irl personalities.

that made no sense did it ? basically you + your character A differs from you + your character B. substracting YOU, what remains if a personality entirely driven by your character. and that one...will be that of a female healer most often in the case of a female healer played by any gender. :D. BECAUE I IMAGINE IT AS SO.

It was still enlightening that you fantasized that the player behind the character was female no matter what.  Are you just roleplaying characters with your admittedly sub-par RP skills? (My first reaction to that statement was that it wasn't even RP at all, until you clarified in  your next sentence, because no RP ever brings "players" into the conversation.)  Or are you actually projecting your fantasies to the people behind the computers?  

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Where is the dmg dealer with so much survivability so he could also tank choice? :(