Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which mmo has the best story?

Comments

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Star Trek Online has one of the best lore, it's just not in the game.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Read?probably mud,real voice?swtor easily.my favorite?gw2 ,wow story is awesome also but to get the whole story you need to read all optional book.(very hard to keep track)
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

GW2! There is no doubt.

It starts of with a quiet announcement that the developers will no longer be making any more of the original series, as they want to work towards what they really want out of the Guild Wars series.  The murmurs of what might be dance thier way through the minds of the players. The mere mention of the title drew the hopes of many, as well as sneers of derision whispered with rumours of vapourware. 

Murmurs, like any vehicle of motion, require fuel and many of them had fallen silent.  The idle minds had moved on to different worlds, and even though many had stayed dedicated to the original, there wasn't much talk. The world slept. 

Then on a cold dreary night, the world first laid eyes on The Elementalist!  Men, women and children cheered in unison as the Elementalist showed off her talents, churning the earth with a wave of her hand, spraying forth a trident of water that damaged her foes whilst healing her allies.  She released a mighty pheonix into the air and we gazed in amazement as the fiery beast circled round. The world cheered as she raised her arms up into the air,  bringing showers of meteors smashing into the ground in a spectacle of sight and sound.

One by one the new heroes were marched out in front of the world. One by one, new eyes were opened. One by one, new fans and followers were added to the ranks of those eagerly anticipating GW2.  The world echoes in fervor of the anticipation of the title. Every cheer, every praise, every hope adding to the cacophony of anticipation.  The stars themselves seems to shimmer more brightly when one heard the name of GW2 on the wind.

The announcement came, and beta weekends were starting. It was spring, and the world finally seemed right. Children and adults alike were dancing and laughing. Birds were singing their songs, and the sun warmed the smiles of everyone.

Everyone except the mean old troll Poopypants. He didn't like it when the sun shone so brightly. He liked the quiet when the world slept.  He didn't want all the happiness and singing. So he brewed up a concoction of lies and discord, and spread it around, hoping to taint the world back into a slumber.

The world was not so easily fooled however, and beta weekends went off with glee and happiness.  Good tidings went out, and the world's excitement grew and grew.  The coming of GW2 was coming closer and closer, and it looked like it would hit with the force of a locomotive!

Finally, the game is released and the world rejoices.  The servers are hammered hard and appear that they are going to falter, but they hold strong. Wave after wave of rave reveiws come in, the world has finally found the game that will move the genre forward.  The sun has never shone so bright!

Poopypants the troll, is not happy. Not. happy. at. all.  When the sun shines so bright, it's easy to see his sickly spots of lies and deceit.  He covers himself with a disquise, pretending to be another player. He starts to spread his sickening filth around the community. 

One by one, the people start to realize how enamoured they had become with the game. How overwhelmed they had been. Poopypants sneered with glee at every comment, and every sign of disappointment.  The moment that someone mentioned the slightest dissatisfaction, Poopypants rushed to their side, to defend their right to be unhappy. Little did they know that his taint was affecting them too. Suddenly they seen the sickly spots of lies and deceit covering them, and they too wanted to hide from the light. 

Then one bitterly cold day in November, catastophe struck, and the devs released a new patch, that was supposed to brighten the day of all, but not all were so receiving to it's warmth. Many rejected the new patch and joined the side of Poopypants. Gradually, the world began to darken once again, and Poopypants sighed with happiness, as the darkness hid how ugly he had become.

All was not lost however, there were still many who fought the dying of the light.  They battled day and night, through gloom and dreary. They knew the light still shone brightly, even though many had averted their eyes, and found dark places to dwell. Through the next couple months, they tirelessly fought.

Until one bright day in January, a new patch had arrived. And people began to listen once again. One by one people threw off their distrust, and looked once again towards the light. GW2, had not been diminished, but stood strong. Ready to lead the way into a new generation of mmorpgs.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Lord of the Rings
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

TSW ofc. Set a new bar of storytelling in MMO genre.

And there isnt much competition for second place either. Maybe LoTRO and SWToR. I didnt like the story in GW: Factions, though I havent finished it

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    I would say WoW, SWTOR and LOTRO.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

GW1 by far. The story about the White Mantle was just awesome.

Sadly, the story in GW2 is not as good.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Kiras story in Swotor was brilliant shame not enough in game to hold me
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

TSW ofc. Set a new bar of storytelling in MMO genre.

And there isnt much competition for second place either. Maybe LoTRO and SWToR. I didnt like the story in GW: Factions, though I havent finished it

This.

If you've actually played TSW from start to finish and pick another MMO for best story, you should never procreate.  I might be able to give you a pass if your a completely Star Wars nerd, but that's about it.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

SWTOR for me.

Every class story was awesome but liked the IA the most.

Planet quests were really well done and the companion quests were stellar.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve
    You make your own story rather than have it told at you.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

The only stories that count in an MMORPG are the stories YOU created with other people.

Be that WOW or EVE, the talk between people and their mutual dreams in a world is the only thing that counts in the long run.

Actually I would be embarassed if an NPC talking to me would be the ulitmate in video gaming.

That's why I NEVER play things like Skyrim.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Asheron's Call is still the best story and lore by far.  It is an original IP and not a rehash of elves/orcs/dragons et al.  The original writer for the game was amazing.

To answer one of the older posts, there is a great difference between having just lore and background vs a story line. 

With lore and background, you can take your own view on the history.  You can evaluate the various actors and actions from your own unique perspective and playstyle.  You can choose whether to follow up on the guidance of the lore or go do your own thing.  Your gaming experience is yours, not someone elses.

With a storyline, you are just reading from a script.  You are getting someone elses views, emotions, analysis, etc. imposed on you.  The script defines you.  All you get to do is change clothes.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Shorun

GW1 by far. The story about the White Mantle was just awesome.

agree - White Mantle was my favorite "canned" story

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

I really like the Guild Wars story, and the Lord of the Rings story.

On a sidenote though, I wish they'd drop individual stories in MMOs. I despise them.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

In terms of overarching story - GW1.

In terms of individual stories - TSW.

TSW has some great dialogue, unfortunately the overarching story is pure pants. GW1 is more of an epic tale, albiet conventional. The Eye of the North storyline was fantastic.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Pedrob

Well Ultima had an amazing story line until it hit the MMO.

Have to agree with a lot and say LOTRO for the best Storyline in a MMO.

AoC and WAR could have had great storyline due to their IP but they didn't focus on that at all.

Totally agree on WAR. Here was an IP that could have made for an epic story line to rival LOTRO but instead the focus was simply not there. Awesome example of awesome IP done wrong. WoW on the other hand has okish IP (mostly ripped off/borrowed) but implemented it really well in the game. 

• WagrumWagrum Member Posts: 56

Final Fantasy XI for me.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online is pretty unique in this regard; there is an epic backstory, written by the lead developer, spanning over two millennia in the form of future history. This creates a healthy trove of lore to draw from. Combine this with the Player Contribution Corps: a subset of players that are dedicated to being as involved with the ongoing progression of the game as possible. In the mix you have an epic tale that is expressed in a variety of ways, whether in mission trees that build from historical events, or player-run events with multiple possible outcomes that have direct bearing on the game's continuing evolution. The most important part of this is, to me, the gradient it creates: you could be a casual player looking to experience things from a touristic perspective, as one would explore a Minecraft server that had a biblical amount of work put into it, or one could take up the carpenter's plane and begin evolving the story itself.

I've written a lot about this in addition to actually doing the work. Check the Vendetta Online forums here on mmorpg.com if you want to see what I mean. It takes a lot of effort and energy, but hopefully someone finds it meaningful whether they keep playing or are just passing through.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    World of Warcraft's story has drawn me in more than any other game. I think the story/lore writers are absolutely genius when it comes to well written material.
  • birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    It is very interesting to see that most people like the picture book story lines. What i mean is some kind of movie or nice art that they can see to let them know anout the story, Eq 1 for mee btw.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Defenitly AoC for me, how suprised i was after i saw conan sitting in his chair:D
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    I honestly do not think I have played a compelling story in any mmo, even those designed entirely around the story (SWTOR). But then I've got single-player games, books, TV, film for that- I don't really log into an mmo for its story.  
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    I honestly do not think I have played a compelling story in any mmo, even those designed entirely around the story (SWTOR). But then I've got single-player games, books, TV, film for that- I don't really log into an mmo for its story.  

Exactly my thoughts.  I find every MMO to have kind of a hokey story, I play for the gameplay, the combat, and the collection.  These people usually aren't bestselling authors, you know.. and the more serious the attempt, the harder it crashes to me, ala TSW.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    None....The Players are the story not the game