Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The long game

DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Hearing a lot of good things about the game, but I haven't seen anything that could be described as long term goal oriented progression.  

To me the game seems like Eve without the player corporation goals (whatever they may be), intricate economy, and nulsec warfare.  Sure, there are lots of neat little things you can do to tool around on a daily basis; but there doesn't seem to be any long term player community oriented goals.  

So when I get tired of random open world PvP, kidnapping people and stealing carts, etc... what's going to keep me coming back to this game in the long term?  In Eve is was chasing my corporations goals; whether they were nulsec aquisition, wormhole diving, massive manufacturing chains, etc... along with chasing my own personal goals like flying new ships.

Seems like a really solid game, but I'm not seeing any long term appeal.  Am I missing something?

Comments

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Takes about 6-8 months to max out crafting. That's my goal personally. You have world reputation that you could work on to have access to better mini-instances. With those you get new skills and can have an advantage in pvp or in the market for a bit. You have territory control, positions within the school, 2nd and 3rd inners, new skills.

I don't know what your moitvation is in a game but there are quite a few long term goals to shoot for.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Nice post OP. Remember this is beta, and we are playing only a portion of the game.

Outside of guild land aquisition, and building/protecting you land, you kinda have to make you own goals, group or solo, the game gives you room. For example Empress WU and her guild the Police Department, they really are the police department corrupt as they may be, this is what they are. They've made tons of money doing this.

Personally I have a plan of my own that I'm going to give a go at launch. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Draemos

Hearing a lot of good things about the game, but I haven't seen anything that could be described as long term goal oriented progression.  

To me the game seems like Eve without the player corporation goals (whatever they may be), intricate economy, and nulsec warfare.  Sure, there are lots of neat little things you can do to tool around on a daily basis; but there doesn't seem to be any long term player community oriented goals.  

So when I get tired of random open world PvP, kidnapping people and stealing carts, etc... what's going to keep me coming back to this game in the long term?  In Eve is was chasing my corporations goals; whether they were nulsec aquisition, wormhole diving, massive manufacturing chains, etc... along with chasing my own personal goals like flying new ships.

Seems like a really solid game, but I'm not seeing any long term appeal.  Am I missing something?

Long term appeal is really up to you,

Guilds can and do have long term plan, from upgrading guild teritory to eliminating enemy guild land ownership. I believe Goontang just took out sanguinemoons entire land, so now sanguine will either have to figure something else out or retake some land back.

You could attempt to become the school leader and turn your school into a powerhouse that steals the relics of the others, good luck because school politics in this game is already intertwined closely with clan matters...and some people don't like it that way.

...and don't underestimate the sheer amount of time it will take you to polish off your character, this isn't some rat race to the top where you are going to be level 80 in a month. Once meridians hit, tier 3 hit and the skill sets expand you are looking at months and months and months of skill growth. That is not even including any personal desires you may have to incorporate skill tree x into your own fighting style. Maybe you want to combine the tangman dart and dagger with the emei dagger tree, well this means hunting down  20 seperate emei skill pages...assuming someone has them and wants to sell them...or running school steal events against the emei on the off chance you pull one of those skill pages. The payoff might be something unique or unexpected that lets you come out ahead in your quest to become school leader though, or your desire to run the biggest extortionist ring in luoyang...whichever you prefer.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    You should gather all internal skills, lvl them, lvl meridians in future, "prepare" items, for instances at 4th mode, practice PvP for tournaments to win heavenly blade or dragon saber and for battleground 48v48 and who know for what else, game is still growing
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

As others have said, long term appeal is really up to yourself since there's no designated "endgame" where everyone does the same thing all the time. There are many options but you have to decide for yourself what to do and when to do it.

Refining your character's skill sets, developing your own skill as a PvPer, earning a ton of money on the market, farming instances, doing challenges, maxing out your life skills, going into the guild vs guild drama and wars, becoming an infamous murderer or a famous cop, etc.

Also, there's a lot of stuff coming that's not implemented in the NA version yet so there will be plenty of things to do for a long time.