Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Games open-world FFA PVP centric

XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,911Member Uncommon

I know of Ultima Online, Darkfall and Mortal Online.  Are there other games where non-faction open-world free-for-all PVP is central to the game design?

I don't know of any other western market games that fit this.  I've looked at some (not many) of the Eastern market English translations, but all I've found are race locked factions.

Any suggestions for gamed I could look at?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,903Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I know of Darkfall and Mortal Online.  Are there other games where non-faction open-world free-for-all PVP is central to the game design?

I don't know of any other western market games that fit this.  I've looked at some (not many) of the Eastern market English translations, but all I've found are race locked factions.

Any suggestions for game I could look at?

Age of Wushu.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,911Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Distopia

Age of Wushu.

Thanks.  Downloading now.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • StizzledStizzled Springfield, MOPosts: 1,264Member Uncommon

Haven & Hearth and Seatribe's newest MMO, Salem both feature non-faction, open-world, FFA-PvP. However, unlike the games you mentioned (or atleast DF and MO) FFA-PvP is not the central focus of these games.

Both are F2P (especially H&H, no cashop) and don't require a download, just Java. Salem is still in closed beta, but I believe that MMORPG still has quite a few keys left.

It should be noted though, that since PvP is not the main focus of these games it does take a while before you can actually experience it. Both games require you to learn a special skill before you can attack another player, and another before you can actually kill them (which is nice since both games feature perma-death).

Because of that, they may not be the best games to research FFA-PvP, since I assume that your doing research for WaC. I will say though, having played several games that feature FFA-PvP, that I think these games have done it the best. If however, your just looking for a fun FFA sandbox experience, then look no further. You've got nothing to lose but your time.

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,903Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAPGames
    Originally posted by Distopia

Age of Wushu.

Thanks.  Downloading now.

NP: Make sure you read up on it a bit, if you haven't. It's main focus is PVP which you can start out in basically right after the tutorial. But be warned, FFA has it's consequences, such as jail time. There's a bounty system in place as well, so if you're looking to kill Pkers, this is your game. Combat and most systems are a tad different than your typical MMO, there are some intereting things to do, like kidnapping members of or spying on rival schools.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,911Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Because of that, they may not be the best games to research FFA-PvP, since I assume that your doing research for WaC. I will say though, having played several games that feature FFA-PvP, that I think these games have done it the best. If however, your just looking for a fun FFA sandbox experience, then look no further. You've got nothing to lose but your time.

Fun would be great.  Insight into designs is great too.

What I'm looking at mostly is the differences between open world faction PVP and open world FFA PVP.  What I think I'm finding is that most of the FFA PVP is based upon rulesets where PKs become criminals making them legal to kill.

If I'm correct in my understanding (doubtful?) most of the faction PVP games dont have such mechanics.  Other faction is always legal, and there is no such thing as becoming a criminal (except in consensual PVP realms where attacking another player flags the attacker, like a WoW "normal" realm).

Thanks for the tips.  Will check them out.