Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

Comments

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Maddog I sorta agree on the composition of the factions.

Altmer / bosmer / khajit
    Redguard / nord / breton
    Imperial / orc / argonian

With dark elves as the villains working for boethia or something with Morrowind as the pvp area would have made more sense lore wise.

I really don't see nords and dunmer working together. I see argonian doing anything with dunmer even less, seen as dunmer are slavers in Morrowind and argonian have had their revenge and invaded Morrowind in skyrim.

Exactly I mean if they wanted 3 factions they could have done it to make more sense with the lore of TES, but they choose to just copy off of daoc entirely and set it 1000 years before oblivion.  Problem is reading through TES lore you see the hate between many of the races they pared up, often occuring before the empire was even formed.

Hell I was even watching an interview with the TESO lead developer and the interviewer ask if the Tsaesci were going to make an appearance because according to the timeline they should be trying to invade Tamrel in the time period they set and the developer looked clueless like he had no idea what the interviewer was talking about.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    Originally posted by Celcius

People love spreading doom and gloom about this game when barely any information has actually been revealed. There has been no indication that factions are "locked" and that you cannot play your character in other faction areas. The only thing that has been stated afaik is that there are 3 story paths for leveling, each taking place in the different faction areas. There has not been an indication that you cannot play with the other factions other then pure speculation.

The story could be based on what faction you select and you may very well still be able to play in that area if you are a member of another faction. There is no instanced battleground based PvP in the game and the focus of PvP will be in the central area. I doubt you will see factions fighting eachother in the story areas even if they allow you to go to other faction zones.

They did state as much in several interviews, including this one.  "The levelling portion of the game is segregated by Alliance, so you won’t be running into enemies while adventuring. They’ll be in their Alliance home zones and you’ll be in yours. When you do go PvP, you travel to Cyrodiil, the province in the middle of Tamriel where the Alliance War is taking place."

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Elder-Scrolls-Online-interview---Matt-Firor/tabid/418/articleID/284162/Default.aspx#ixzz2Jsurih6L

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I'm honestly less interested simply because im being forced to join a faction. I just want a small house in the wilderness where i can hunt some game and sell the meat to the cities. Unfortunately this game is looking pretty themepark so i've already given up on this dream.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

actually, nothing about TESO interested me.

I love TES. its my favorite game series by far.

no need to ruin people's idea of what Tamriel is by raping the lore and world in a horrid MMO platform.

to make it worse, so many people do not understand that Bethesda who made EVERY TES game, has NOTHING to do with ESO. so now, when the game launches and the hate train starts, we're going to have tons of misinformed douchbags cursing Bethesda for a game they had nothing to do with.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I'm honestly less interested simply because im being forced to join a faction. I just want a small house in the wilderness where i can hunt some game and sell the meat to the cities. Unfortunately this game is looking pretty themepark so i've already given up on this dream.

maybe the new EQ will suit this playstlye.

i can hope, at least.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

6 years ago i would agree with everyone saying open world pvp isnt needed as back then i was all about PvE...but i have hence grown up, PvE content get old FAST and what did i do? Went out into the world and PvPed....or took part in world pvp raids.

Now u mihgt say "that is what arena,battle zones are for!" i say this to that...there just as boring....same thing over n over. go here kill that protect this, capture that. Where as open world pvp offerd a new thing almost every time....plus i sucked at PvP battlegrounds cuz there was always one OP class. Where as in open world pvp i might run into that Op class and take him by suprise or call in firends to come help me....

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Dantae87

6 years ago i would agree with everyone saying open world pvp isnt needed as back then i was all about PvE...but i have hence grown up, PvE content get old FAST and what did i do? Went out into the world and PvPed....or took part in world pvp raids.

Now u mihgt say "that is what arena,battle zones are for!" i say this to that...there just as boring....same thing over n over. go here kill that protect this, capture that. Where as open world pvp offerd a new thing almost every time....plus i sucked at PvP battlegrounds cuz there was always one OP class. Where as in open world pvp i might run into that Op class and take him by suprise or call in firends to come help me....

Except...

No one here is crying about Open World PVP. People are complaining about the ridiculous and often contradictory faction lock being put in place on the races. Its a turn off to me, seeing as like a majority of the Elder Scroll games, your race never affected such things. Hell, if you wanted you could of joined the Rebels in Skyrim as an elf, despite all the racial tension there.

People want choice. There is absolutely no reason why the players can't create their characters, choose whatever race they want most, play throughout the world, and when it comes time to do the 3-faction PVP side with the faction they like best.

If you really "grew up", you'd of realized that off the bat.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Didn't even know there were factions, and still don't know what faction lock entails.  I'm remaining ignorant on this one, and will just enjoy it as I discover it while playing it.   
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

Except...

No one here is crying about Open World PVP. People are complaining about the ridiculous and often contradictory faction lock being put in place on the races. Its a turn off to me, seeing as like a majority of the Elder Scroll games, your race never affected such things. Hell, if you wanted you could of joined the Rebels in Skyrim as an elf, despite all the racial tension there.

People want choice. There is absolutely no reason why the players can't create their characters, choose whatever race they want most, play throughout the world, and when it comes time to do the 3-faction PVP side with the faction they like best.

This,

the problem isnt the pvp, its about choices, which in effect you have none. May seem like a none issue to some, but for others it is a deal breaker. The other thing, is that there will be people for whom the PVP is also not a draw to the game, Elderscrolls games do after all tend to be entirely without PVP after all, so regardless of the faction lock, they better have a very good PVE side of the game, because it will be a critical fail if they don't, but yeah, faction lock and 2/3 of the game map being locked off to the players.. epic fail, right there. image

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

note im not looking for hardcore massive gank everyone pvp...just the option to explor would have been appreciated.

You can.. you just need to make a different character.  I really don't see an issue.

I mean those American journalists were just exploring around Iran and bam in jail... seems realistic to me lol

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

Except...

This,

the problem isnt the pvp, its about choices, which in effect you have none. May seem like a none issue to some, but for others it is a deal breaker. The other thing, is that there will be people for whom the PVP is also not a draw to the game, Elderscrolls games do after all tend to be entirely without PVP after all, so regardless of the faction lock, they better have a very good PVE side of the game, because it will be a critical fail if they don't, but yeah, faction lock and 2/3 of the game map being locked off to the players.. epic fail, right there. image

We call everything an epic fail sooooo we're such drama queens on these forums.

PS- I don't think this is about "choice".. I think that anyone who says that has an axe to grind.

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138

I think it's pretty obvious why the developers of this MMO would choose to mold the geographical locations of Tamriel into the three distinct alliances we now have (pic related). Lore is much more flexible than game design in this case, so they had to make a choice and I would argue it was the right choice. You guys can whine about why one faction wouldn't do something, shouldn't do something, or might do something, but that's all secondary to an effective (and efficient) foundation. Slight lore meandering doesn't kill games, bad design kills games.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by jtcgs

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw.

Once I heard factions I knew it was downhill from there because if a company is willing to make one drastic change from the IP, they will be making others, and they have. Closed faction areas, Races limited to factions, PvP limited to PvP zones, Lore changes...this is just DaoC 2 in a TES skin.

Considering there is nothing in the lore that prohibts factions and multiplayer TES has never been done before then I would say you are wrong because we have no history of lore that far back (when the game is set) so for all intents and purposes ESO is crafting the lore that fits within an unknown time frame in Tamriel.

Being a DAoC 2 is jsut more icing on the cake that this game is gonna kick ass.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by azzamasin

Originally posted by Dantae87 i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw.
     Once I heard factions I knew it was downhill from there because if a company is willing to make one drastic change from the IP, they will be making others, and they have. Closed faction areas, Races limited to factions, PvP limited to PvP zones, Lore changes...this is just DaoC 2 in a TES skin.
    Considering there is nothing in the lore that prohibts factions and multiplayer TES has never been done before then I would say you are wrong because we have no history of lore that far back (when the game is set) so for all intents and purposes ESO is crafting the lore that fits within an unknown time frame in Tamriel.

Isnt 1 thousand years ago the time of Alduin and the dragons?

If it was...Seems everyone was on a united front to put that bad boy back in his box..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Zairu

no need to ruin people's idea of what Tamriel is by raping the lore and world in a horrid MMO platform.

to make it worse, so many people do not understand that Bethesda who made EVERY TES game, has NOTHING to do with ESO. so now, when the game launches and the hate train starts, we're going to have tons of misinformed douchbags cursing Bethesda for a game they had nothing to do with.

In much the same way misinformed people rape the unknowns of an ancient past on an elder scrolls game.

You know I dont ever remember people bitching this much about WoW raped the lore of Warcraft 3.

I also don't understand how someone can complain about ESO when you are getting 3 TES games in each faction.  I dont ever recall anyone bitching they couldnt explore Morrowind while playing Skyrim.  Or throwing e-fits because you couldn't explore Hammerfell while playing Oblivian.  This just proves people will bitch for no apprent reason.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Dantae87 i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw.

Isnt 1 thousand years ago the time of Alduin and the dragons?

If it was...Seems everyone was on a united front to put that bad boy back in his box..

No that was more like 500 years ago.  The time which ESO is set in has very little lore which is why Zenimax went to Bethesdas Loremaster to craft Lore for ESO's time frame.  Fairly certain I will take Bethesda's Lawrence Schick (official Loremaster) word over some pissed off group of nobodies.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/18/reading-the-future-of-the-past-in-the-elder-scrolls

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Zairu

In much the same way misinformed people rape the unknowns of an ancient past on an elder scrolls game.

You know I dont ever remember people bitching this much about WoW raped the lore of Warcraft 3.

I also don't understand how someone can complain about ESO when you are getting 3 TES games in each faction.  I dont ever recall anyone bitching they couldnt explore Morrowind while playing Skyrim.  Or throwing e-fits because you couldn't explore Hammerfell while playing Oblivian.  This just proves people will bitch for no apprent reason.

Yep. And you prove that some people will even bitch about other people bitching. image

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw.

Actualy we have alot of lore that far back(thanks to many of the in-game books) its only 1000 years before Oblivion roughly in the 2nd era of the empire.  TES lore is pretty stong all the way till the Nords arive on Tamriel shores, only before that does the lore get alittle bit thin.

And while there is nothing that prohibts factions in the lore, the factions made in TESO make no sense and only serve to support the daoc pvp.  Its sad that ZeniMax didn't have enough faith in the TES ip to try something bold and new.  Instead they borrowed so much from daoc that it might as well be called daoc 2, just like swtor might aswell be called WoW in space.

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by maddog15a

Its sad that ZeniMax didn't have enough faith in the TES ip to try something bold and new.  Instead they borrowed so much from daoc that it might as well be called daoc 2, just like swtor might aswell be called WoW in space.

Borrowing from DAoC is something bold and new......

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    I'm glad there are three sides. So tired of these MMOs where all races are in bed with each other. Kills the whole world feel of the game. Let's get some pride for our sides and go to battle@!
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    I'm glad there are three sides. So tired of these MMOs where all races are in bed with each other. Kills the whole world feel of the game. Let's get some pride for our sides and go to battle@!

Yeah! Preach it!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It hasn't made me lose intirest. If anything I've gained more intirest it provides you with more of an attachment then just, hey I started out as this faction but it's fine if they are losing in pvp I'll just join this one instead.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Don't give a fuck.

Gameplay elements are far more important in MMORPG than some stupid RACE/GENDER/FACTION locks.

Those being locked does affect the gameplay.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

No

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!