Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Founder Packs

There seems to be a trend towards hugely expensive founder packs that in return give you some pretty pixels.  Does anyone actually buy these and if so why? 

Assuming you get double the value of the cash shop and some pretty little tinsel to wear and a weeks early access on a triple A, how much would you be prepared to spend?  Remember, despite the hype, the hypothetical game is 'unknown' to you.  

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Your poll is missing the 0$ option for those who aren't willing to spend anything.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'm sure some will disagree with me. It's perfectly fine.

Personally, I get a little angry when I see a company offer some "exclusive" virtual item or costume for purchasing a $100+ "Founder Pack".

I play MMOs as an adventurer, explorer, and collector. I personally enjoy taking the time to earn the hard-to-get items. As a father of two very young children, it's my duty to invest every spare dime towards education & savings. Thus, forking over $200 to play as "Black Spider-Man", which happens to be my favorite Marvel costume, really upset me. I can afford to do this, but I refuse to.

I avoid games that offer this type of incentive. This is why I won't even entertain the idea of playing a Cryptic game.

I miss the games that reward good items through in-game deeds. Cosmetic or not, as a collector, I feel that I'm missing out on some part of the game because of these expensive "Founder Pack" rewards.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I dont buy things up front any longer. No founders crap, no kick starter stuff, and no paid beta. The game industry is so rocky and filled with bad games, i would like to save my money for a sure thing.

So 0 (zero) is my vote. If the game is worthy i will support the game and pay. But wont pay for broken promises and a half-a$$ game. Too many times i bought into the hype and not again!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    I'm in the don't pay anything extra up front camp, especially pricy preorders or packs. I haven't enjoyed a modem day MMO for more than 3 months so just not worth it to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    To be honest, I tend to look at any sort of founder/veteran reward system as a net negative value because every form of special snowflake reward is also a reminder to all potential future players considering the game that they will *NOT* be a special snowflake and long-term viability is one of the things I look for in a game.
  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    I say $0. Majority of the time you can get all the items if you are patient and wait a few months. 

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    $50 especially since most of these "Founders Packs" are on games that are F2P or "failed" and went the F2P way.
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    kickstarter...internet panhandeling.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Why is buying pixels a rip off? We pay for pixels every time we buy a game lol.

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    $0.  The way games are being made now nothing is a sure bet and I'm tired of sending the wrong message to developers with my wallet.  Founders packs seem like a sure symptom of a troubled game to me, where the focus is on trying to squeeze money from often very weak products instead of making money by developing an excellent game that would sell itself.