Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welp, uninstalling TERA.

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Well I don't have any motion sickness problems but sure hope they keep making MMOs without action style combat. Tera's wasn't to bad, but for the most part I am not paying any attention to any MMO that is promoting this form of combat. Really wish all you console gamers had stayed out of PC based MMORPGs. ;)

Hear, hear..+1

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Rough to the OP. Motion sickness is lame.

My wife doesnt watch me game because the random movement gives her headaches. My daughter has to sleep in a car that is driving for over 30 minutes so she doesnt get sick, ( an issue I myself had as a child).

Game on my friend there are, and will be other games for you.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Man. . . my face when people don't realize why Orlando Bloom is referred to as the "Whelp" from the "Onyxia Wipe Animation."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I've heard of people getting motion sickenss in FPS games. I wonder if it's something you can build upa tollerance to like sea sickness ( which is the same thing pretty much )

I can't read a book in a moving car because the motion outside the window while I'm reading the page makes me sick.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Senadina
    Well I don't have any motion sickness problems but sure hope they keep making MMOs without action style combat. Tera's wasn't to bad, but for the most part I am not paying any attention to any MMO that is promoting this form of combat. Really wish all you console gamers had stayed out of PC based MMORPGs. ;)

Hear, hear..+1

Right, because a combat system that's heavily reliant on gear is so much more complex and difficult. We all know that the time spent grinding for said gear truly represents a player's skill level.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by GN-003

Hear, hear..+1

Right, because a combat system that's heavily reliant on gear is so much more complex and difficult. We all know that the time spent grinding for said gear truly represents a player's skill level.

your obsession with skill is misplaced.

MMOs aren't a playground to test your skill. eSports are.

you're looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place.

I was being sarcastic.

Ahh yes evey mmo has to offer the same thing to everyone. That would make the market a better place. All of us that enjoy skill based games are simply wrong and the games we play should change to be like everyone else.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond
    I regret to inform you that a LOT of people want exactly what you don't want.

For plenty of reason.  Tab Targetting is so old school.....and not in a good way.

To the OP, why would you isntall a game without doing even a modicum of research in to its systems?  *boggles*

its called Matt Firor Syndrome.

"MMOs are MMOs"

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Hear, hear..+1

and you're just saying all the wrong things.

wrongfest up in there

Corpus Callosum    

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by cura

Hehe, i dont think its about console style but people falling asleep pressing sequences of keyes :-)

Because using your mouse to stay targetted while pressing a sequence of key's is vastly different. So different it falls into the OMG ITS SO NEW AND INNOVATING catagory.

The only thing the lack of tab targetting creates is character classes with a much smaller variety of skills to use. that was my only gripe with Vindictus, which is far better than Tera in every way other than Tera having an open world, stories are about the same quality, bland. Lack of skill variety = boring combat, aim targetting or not. Would rather have tab targetting with a class that has a ton of skills to chose from depending on the situation.

It is, otherwise older games wouldn't constantly bitch about twitch games.

Reeeaaaally?

I was coming here to say that I enjoy the game style and play of TERA immensely, but here you are spouting such mularkey I had to re-adjust my aim.

Older gamers helped invent what your playing today, we 'twitch' just fine, if not better than you. We have seen the scenarios/plots/battles/tactics in many forms over the years....or in pvp, we have faced so many opponents, we can guess how you're going to act, because of our experience and oh yes, memory.

Now get off my lawn before I vaporize you, sonny.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Ahh yes evey mmo has to offer the same thing to everyone. That would make the market a better place. All of us that enjoy skill based games are simply wrong and the games we play should change to be like everyone else.

there's plenty of skill-based games. Even skill-based MMOs. like Knights or w/e it's called.

we're running low on "virtual worlds" though...

they are not at all mutually exclusive.

the combination of the 2 is what's sorely lacking.

Corpus Callosum    

you don't see why ?

And if you want a skill based game and don't care about PvP ?

you don't see why ?

And if you want a skill based game and don't care about PvP ?

then you play Skyrim.

It's nice to know I'm talking to someone that's open minded and doesn't think everyone should be railroaded into his own limited scope of gaming.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Welcome to action combat! Don't worry though, I doubt they will drown out the standerd mmo formula either. Its a bit more skill based and involves a lot more attention, something not everyone wants in an MMo.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by Deerhuntah60
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond
    I regret to inform you that a LOT of people want exactly what you don't want.

Sadly true. If OP is that biased an unwiling to spend a little time getting use to a different movement system, its his loss and should just do himself the favor and quit.

"Camera Targeting" is not for everybody, but it's something that I think anybody can get used to.  My biggest issue with it is that I can't look behind my character while fighting.  On a PvP server it's a terrible disadvantage to always have to face what I'm hitting.

Not if everyone has that disadvantage.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Did not know it had Vindictus type movement.  Can't do that kind of game, it gives me extreme motion sickness.   I hope future games don't follow suit or I'm done online gaming.

You are the minority

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Blade & Soul has both Action combat and with the push of a button it switches to traditional controls.

THis dual system should become a standard, more options is always better. I prefer traditional controls in mmos but i like action mmos with gamepad too.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

I've heard of people getting motion sickenss in FPS games. I wonder if it's something you can build upa tollerance to like sea sickness ( which is the same thing pretty much )

I can't read a book in a moving car because the motion outside the window while I'm reading the page makes me sick.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree. They are pretty much the exact opposite of each other. Sea sickness is caused by your body perceiving motion that you are not visually interpeting. The nausea caused by movies/video games is caused by motions that you are visually perceiving but your body is not experiencing/interpeting. It's all pretty interesting really, a throwback biologic mechanism to protect us against neurotoxins.

• xanderxainxanderxain Member UncommonPosts: 19
    op, you may want to get some meclizine from your doctor.  Shouldnt let motion sickness ruin a game with fun combat.  seriously, ive fallen asleep raiding in wow before.  tap targeting needs to die.
    Originally posted by corpusc

there's plenty of skill-based games. Even skill-based MMOs. like Knights or w/e it's called.

we're running low on "virtual worlds" though...

they are not at all mutually exclusive.

the combination of the 2 is what's sorely lacking.

you don't see why ?

realistically, it's difficult to make an open world MMO where individual 1v1 is very skill-based, and that skill translates at 1000 v 1000 battles. because of obstacles like "what does it matter how well grunt #352 played when there's 200 healers on the field." and of course the "what if it's not 1000 v 1000 but 800 vs 1200.".

I can tell you eve 1v1 takes skill. eve 100 v 100 takes ability to follow orders.

individual skill fades in large groups and large groups are the predominant factor in MMOs.

the problem of translating INDIVIDUAL skill in large scale battles is a big one. because group tactics take over replacing individual decisions.

not only most developers don't have an answer here, but an answer might not exist at all. Historically looking at pre-gunpowder battles, who wins typically?

the guys with more troops.

the guys with better armor.

the guys who can keep formation better.

the guys with smarter general.

not necesarily the guys who had #1 and #2 best ranked soldiers in their roster.

The trojan war was won by the horse not by Achilles. in fact he died in that war. despite being 99.5% immortal.

so if you can find a way to translate individual skill at group-base level...we can begin seeing what you're looking for. But until this is answered...we can't.

so, in other words..... "massive amounts of players fighting can never be as skillful as 1 on 1 fighting"

keep 'em coming!

Corpus Callosum    

it can be AS skillful.

it cant be massively more skillful.

bring 99 more players and your skill accounts for 1% of the fight.

Dominating your 1% is not that epic.

You're 1% of your team by number not by skill. One player killing 20-30+ people on the other team would be pretty epic and a demonstarion that the totall skill pool of a team isn't always handed out in equil portions.

This is the classic fail argument of the bads on world of tanks that even though one player consistently gets more kills/damage/hits ect and wins more games it's still just luck because he's only 1 of 15 and can't effect the outcome of the fight.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

If anyone else gets motion sick try turning off some of the graphics settings like motion blur (and possibly depth of field).

Don't know if TERA has it in the actual options since I did my option editing through the .ini file, just google it. I turn off all the crap like bloom, ambient occlusion, motion blur, etc... (also try zooming out further or zooming in closer to see if it makes any difference)

Anyone else arguing about bullshit irrelevant to the OPs problem stfu and take it somewhere else. It's not their fault for getting motion sickness either, you can't do anything but you can try to minimize the issue if the game gives you enough options to change.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

It's just the opposite for me, once I got a taste of action combat in an mmo I was hooked. I find since playing Tera and Vindictus tab target combat in other mmos a bit boring for me to play. Action combat makes more sense to me, I mean who the hell stands there and gets pounded while fighting anyway. Leaving incoming damage you take up to gear math is dumb. Nothing beats blocking and hitting in real time it's more immersive. I hope to see more mmos out there with this style of combat.

With the issue of motion sickness, I find i get the same feeling when my video settings are set to high in games and you get that slight lag while panning the camera. I usually have to turn it down a bit. If you just don't like the actual combat then that's not the case.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

motion sickness in "shooter-like" (sort of) games is often related to FoV setting.

Tera has no "in-game" control to modify FoV, however being based on unreal engine you can easily edit one of the config file and set keys to reset fov to a proper value (16:10 screen should have a 95 FoV or something). Been changing FoV in U-based games for years, on suggestion by buddy who has serious sickness issues with shooters (i don't, but I feel a bit of eye strain if 4:3 screen FoV - usually the default in every game - is applied to my 16:10 monitor or 16:9 tv.)

Just sayin' - google a bit..