Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Impressions...

tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

So i got my hands dirty at last with Poe. Registered,installed,made 2 toons.Marauder (Barbarian for x-diablo players) and a Ranger. For those that maybe dont know me or read any threads in the past i play rpg's over 15 years fro eye of the beholder series ,black crypt in amiga ,till like every rpg that launched till today brand names or indie . Very few excpetions.And i ll try to be as much objective as i can here.

Yesterday i found myself playing an rpg over 7 hours str8 after along with me loosing the sense of time. And that says something. The game has that sweet little poison Diablo 1+ 2 used to had. Dark tempting decadence atmosphere,dark graficks and setting music that stacks and adds to atmosphere. Animations are good. I didnt liked much the highlight an enemy with your mouse effect it kinda spoils the good job they did with graficks designing on the enemies.The effect they made once u highlight an enemy with your mouse Its kinda too intense but thats something they can fix and after a period of playing u forget it.The whole designing of the areas i witnessed so far is very good.GJ from the fellas that made them.

Gameplay.Its good.Better than Diablo series,makes some sense after all these years to evolve some things. You have skill gems that lvl up along with u with xp enhancing the abilities they give.That was cool. When it comes to rpg freedom in matter of choise on what build u are going to make is a huge factor for every rpg mmo or not.And here in Poe they handled this thing very well. For those that didnt happened to check the talent tree maybe they should out of curiocity. Its really huge. The options on what path to follow with your toon are indeed mind blowing.I realised i can make a ranger playing with loads of differrent ways. It means i make 35 rangers look play and feel different than each other depending what talents i picked what gear they have, what sort of gems and abilities they have and what type of damage they do,frost poison,fire lightning,or physical -phocus. Thats something i never met in almost any role playing game before.Bravo to the devs they excelled on that .

Combat gives u a fewling its easy sometimes but there are plenty situations that if u get arrogant u pay for it.There were some really impressive bosses i putted down with me using several tactics and flasks in order to survive the battle.

Is it a Diablo clone? If u mean its an action-rpg yes . If u mean its a bad copy-paste game of diablo? Hell no. Perhaps the opposite.Poe is an advanced over the years Diablo series with better graphs animations and much much much deeper character development.Gear drops are tousands of random pool drops generated like the diablo series.

Now to a big point of poe. Is it an mmo? I see loads of players in the settlements but none inthe game zones,in the wilds or in dungeons. Everything is instanced. Its not like wow or eq2 or aoc, u cant meet a player outthere and party with him or pvp with him in the wilds.Game is more like gw1 or ddo if u prefer. U party in the cities and run dungeons for loot.Now, as i play the game i wonder whats the scope?

In wow there was the vision of arena, battlegrounds rated or not, for my toon to satisfy my pvp thirst. I dont know whats its gonna be here or what its gonna play and feel like and thats a question needs to be answered. Also in most of the other mmorpgs there was end game dungeons and raids.No clue whats going on here on that either. All i can answer is that im playing an addictive good action rpg and its entertaining so far.

As to the question that some ppl setted here and in other forum sites : Are all those ppl that payed some good money to buy and play Diablo 3 suckers? (meaning poe is free to play and no sub) I dont know .I leave that answer to the players that bought Diablo 3 and out of curiocity played at least 4 hours POE.

As a last notification, from what i ve seen so far from the game i must congratulate those fellas that made this game,which after all they managed to deliver a competitive product with good standards of qualityand without the need to pay a single dime,not much bugs (havent encountered any serious one after playing it 4 days),my connection is quite shitty here and only dc from the server was at day one, 2 times,and 1 yesterday but i immediately logged in asap. 

The game Launched recently, i dont know howit will look in a few months from now but i guess it can only get better with the right desicions from the devs.But if u look for example at wow how it looked at launch and how different was 1-2 years later you can only guess.

P.s. Excuse bad writing and syntax errors was typing fast got a bad headache.

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

not bad

to answer, endgame

In POE there are maps, and map fragments you find, these make up endgame dungeons/zones, I havent done any yet, but they are completely randomized, have varying levels and offer the top loot in the game. They also come in rarities

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

yes poe is a diablo clone lol

people are in such denial about that and its funny.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Diablo clone or not, PoE is a brilliant game, better than D3? subjective but I'd say yes it is definately better.
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by baphamet

If u tell wow is an eq clone i would say yes it is. Only the clone is better in this case.Same goes with poe and diablo.And i can say this cause i really liked diablo and finished 1 and 2 of the series.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by tazarconan

Now, as i play the game i wonder whats the scope?

In wow there was the vision of arena, battlegrounds rated or not, for my toon to satisfy my pvp thirst. I dont know whats its gonna be here or what its gonna play and feel like and thats a question needs to be answered. Also in most of the other mmorpgs there was end game dungeons and raids.No clue whats going on here on that either. All i can answer is that im playing an addictive good action rpg and its entertaining so far.

As someone pointed out there are maps for hardcore and scrubcore ladders.   The other aspect will be the time limited ladders; solo, party, cut-throat, turbo, and other specific game mechanic ladders.  

• phoenix_genma_kenphoenix_genma_ken Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by baphamet

clone or not its WAY better than diablo and thats a simple fact diablo fanboys wont accept