Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 6 years of WoW I finialy left the game for good.

2»

Comments

• micheanmichean Member Posts: 1

Yes, WOW can get boring.  I have been in it since the last year of vanilla and up until recently have played every night for hours.  Mists is pretty but when you come down to it we are still running quests which basically the same as every quest in every other area.  I tried making money farming things that are needed by others but that also gets boring.

I had a chance to try Rift both in Beta and after launch.  Glorified WOW with a small twist but still WOW. and not as pretty, in my opinion.

I, like one of the other posters, have tried to find something good but still no luck.  I have even tried XBox 360,  but it just is not that much fun.

So, I keep coming back to WOW only for the lack of something better.  It is still pretty and as long as I dont play every day for hours I can live with it.

I wish there was something out there that was as well done graphically but less boring.  One day I will find it and then it will be good buy WOW for ever.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Murashu

You...will....be.......back.

I have a bunch of long time friends who all swore they were done with WoW after WotLK and somehow got sucked in by those damn little Pandas. Take a break and enjoy your time away, but if you really played for that long I have a hard time believing you are gone for good :)

LOL nope I am done. WoW is past its prime for me. No reason to go back.

No you will. I was done for 1 1/2 years, and still bought MoP and played for 2 weeks.. You'll leave again, but you'll be back.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Like the OP I started WoW back in Vanilla with NE Hunter. Quit for good in March last year.

Last week I actually entertained the idea of going back. So I hopped on wowarmory to see how my old guilds are travelling (have toons in guilds on 2 different servers). Sadly it wasn't pretty, lot more people stuck at 85 than 90s, including many friends. So frankly there isn't much there for me to go back to. 

Still, if I got free/cheap Pandaland offer from Blizz, I might check it out for a while.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

are we gonna tell him bloodelves are not a class, but a race? :)

@topic:

playing wow since US closed beta 2 (had a minor timeout for lichking), and i still think it's one of the best PvE mmos out there.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

Originally posted by angzt

@topic:

playing wow since US closed beta 2 (had a minor timeout for lichking), and i still think it's one of the best PvE mmos out there.

It's the best hands down, not even close, and the PvP was great until they got rid of arena ratings for gear. Been there done that though, just not enough innovation for $100,000,000 a month...

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I have left WoW about 23 times in total, I don't make these post because I always go back. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with that. 

I really don't see why people have to "denounce" a game when they leave. I don't get why people become "bitter and sad". I have always just played a game until I found myself bored with it and then switched to another game. 

I get what you are saying, but I dont blame the people who do this. I mean, if the game would have followed more the lines it started with then I wouldnt understand, since you just would be bored and left because of that, but the deal here and for me personally is more the fact that the game has turned into something else.

I think evolution in these games that last for years is a good thing, but when you change too much instead of just developing and adding to the old the game becomes something else, and people like me have to leave because the game is not fun anymore because of these changes, I didnt technically become bored with Warcraft, I simply grew to dislike how it all works now beginning at Wotlk and getting the final nail at Cata.

I always hoped for more variety into the game, more ways to play and new meaningful activities. Instead the game has been simply molded more and more into a lobby game, and instead of opening the game more it has been boxed into a more themepark direction than ever before. It's less and less a world, and more and more a set of isolated theme areas for different things with queue and a mechanic to throw your self into that queue.

After lvl10 you dont have to move an inch anymore in the open world in order to get to max level. The open world is now just an optional leveling area. With the crossrealm zones it basically isnt even an open world anymore, but simply zones or instances with random people in them. I want mmorpgs to evolve, but this is not the way, for me the game has turned completely into something else, and I dont like it.

I dont hate the game or run around saying I dont like it, I dont regret spending all that time in it, I had fun for the most part and made some awesome friends on the way, I've played WoW the longest time of any game ever made, and loved most of the trip, but at the bitter end I had to accept I dont like it anymore for what it has become, and I understand everyone who feels the same.

Personally I find it interesting to listen what people have to say after all those years, I dont agree with bashing these games just for getting bored, but I'm interested to hear if it was simply out of boredome, gameplay changes, or what.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by angzt

@topic:

It's the best hands down, not even close, and the PvP was great until they got rid of arena ratings for gear. Been there done that though, just not enough innovation for $100,000,000 a month...

LOL ty how embaracing I knew BE is a race I just should of proff read my post better before I posted it thanks for the fix. image

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Personally I find it interesting to listen what people have to say after all those years, I dont agree with bashing these games just for getting bored, but I'm interested to hear if it was simply out of boredome, gameplay changes, or what.

The one thing it generally never is; simple burnout. They aren't willing to go that far, generally, until they've "left for good" a few more (or many more) titles. (Mmorpg.com Trivial Pursuit: Keep your eyes open for our three forum regulars listing 30+ ex-games!)

Not quite sure why people are so afraid of that one. Getting up from the computer and facing real life again is that scary? I've built my whole identity around "gamer" and never giving it up?

I'd have to find a brand new thing to tick away the moments that make up the dull day? Ah, there's mine!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I left after 7 years. How does it feel to be on the other side? Not so bad, right?

Now to find your next mmo fix...

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Kuinn

The one thing it generally never is; simple burnout. They aren't willing to go that far, generally, until they've "left for good" a few more (or many more) titles. (Mmorpg.com Trivial Pursuit: Keep your eyes open for our three forum regulars listing 30+ ex-games!)

Not quite sure why people are so afraid of that one. Getting up from the computer and facing real life again is that scary? I've built my whole identity around "gamer" and never giving it up?

I'd have to find a brand new thing to tick away the moments that make up the dull day? Ah, there's mine!

Like your Pink Floyd reference. lol ty

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Zeblade

Lol..its just a game. You seemed to have joined the group that does nothing but bash the game and those that play it.

Never understood why some have to do this. I wonder if its just they see others having fun in something they just could not so they will bash it and those playing.

So get over your self you quit a game.. key word GAME. You did nothing but now swapped some other GAME for World of Warcraft. Your still in the same boat.. 

Hahahaha!! yeah!! this seems like a helping party for ex crack addicts.

I have to admit, that i left the game a year ago, and i was there since day 1, at one point it did turn out like a job, lost my girlfriend on the process... meh just sharing my story with you ex-wow addicts, dont bash the game, we stood there because we loved it, even if you cry that was as much as a job, we loved that job, and those like me, did it for good, and were good, but thats it, its a game, and the only thing i miss is the "feeling" of the game, not the game itself, not the mechanics or anything, just the feeling of something new and exiting, something well done and polished, i miss the "adventure" that brought.

Cheers.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

I remember 2-3 day AV games...........that got nerfed all to shreds.

There was something magical back then the playerbase being such a big part of it. So wildly more sucessful than Blizzard ever dared to dream the only way to sustain it was to corrupt it over time from within.

There are memories deeply seated that I find enjoyment in. But alas the magic is gone for me and I have moved on to never return.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

/sigh

There will always be a part of my that loves WoW, yet I cannot play it any longer. I played in vanilla right up until the release of TBC then quit. I was probably quitting at the absolute worst time, that was when WoW was at its peak. But I ended up returning years later post TBC and WoTLK after Cata was released. Blizzard sent me a free 10 days, worst move ever. I quickly got sucked into my old server Dethecus and powered my Tauren Hunter up to 80.

I was a career hunter, no alts, just played him and had a priest I was leveling on the side. Every time I was relaxing on my priest, someone from my guild was like, "Yo, get on your hunter and ____" whatever we were rolling into.

I have to admit, all the new pets and mount they added to the game were cool and fun to tame and parade around with. But I felt as if I was flying last years flag. What was fresh and new to me was run-o-the-mill for most others. WoW is a surprisingly social game, so I picked up a good raiding guild very quickly. 

I did enjoy soloing most dungeons that it took a full raid to complete. I could just imagine the effort it took to kill most bosses that I was soloing with a turtle. My guild still could not understand my excitement when I picked up Chromaggus as a pet and named him Barney. It is different seeing things through the eyes of a vanilla player. 

Yet, the grind and the neverending gear on a stick chase wears me down after awhile. I cannot sacrifice real life for virtual stuff I really don't own anymore. Once again, I unceremoniously quit WoW and uninstalled the game. Looking back, I am yet to find another game like WoW that could suck me in that quickly.

My moneys on TESO. If that doesn't do it for me, I am going to hang up my spurs forever. Good luck in your gaming future OP.

Originally posted by Inktomi

/sigh

There will always be a part of my that loves WoW, yet I cannot play it any longer. I played in vanilla right up until the release of TBC then quit. I was probably quitting at the absolute worst time, that was when WoW was at its peak. But I ended up returning years later post TBC and WoTLK after Cata was released. Blizzard sent me a free 10 days, worst move ever. I quickly got sucked into my old server Dethecus and powered my Tauren Hunter up to 80.

I was a career hunter, no alts, just played him and had a priest I was leveling on the side. Every time I was relaxing on my priest, someone from my guild was like, "Yo, get on your hunter and ____" whatever we were rolling into.

I have to admit, all the new pets and mount they added to the game were cool and fun to tame and parade around with. But I felt as if I was flying last years flag. What was fresh and new to me was run-o-the-mill for most others. WoW is a surprisingly social game, so I picked up a good raiding guild very quickly. 

I did enjoy soloing most dungeons that it took a full raid to complete. I could just imagine the effort it took to kill most bosses that I was soloing with a turtle. My guild still could not understand my excitement when I picked up Chromaggus as a pet and named him Barney. It is different seeing things through the eyes of a vanilla player. 

Yet, the grind and the neverending gear on a stick chase wears me down after awhile. I cannot sacrifice real life for virtual stuff I really don't own anymore. Once again, I unceremoniously quit WoW and uninstalled the game. Looking back, I am yet to find another game like WoW that could suck me in that quickly.

My moneys on TESO. If that doesn't do it for me, I am going to hang up my spurs forever. Good luck in your gaming future OP.

Thanks for your story on why you left WoW I agree the grind fest is the main reason why I will not go back. RL is more importent then WoW or whatever game anyone is playing. I read the post were the guy what the guy lost his G/F and job I can relate to the G/F part and many time I took off work just to play. So all who might say that I am or we are trying to make a sob story just to bash WoW apeantly they never will know what it is like to find a close net comumity of VR friends to achieve the imposible odds threw real rading back in BC days. Aperently these ppl who say that we are trying to bash the game prob never played vanilla.

Anyways thanks again for your post and good luck to you also. I will have to try TESO myself.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Something happened between wotlk and cata. Where BC felt like a new gae, wotlk felt like a new game, cata felt like the same old thing but less. Pandas felt better, but still too much of the same. They keep adding dungeons and battle grounds, but the systems either stayed the same or got trimmed. I think they are playing it way too safe. 

Is it possible for a game to be too polished, too streamlined? I keep going back to a quote from a gguy where he said "one guys frustration, is another guys game." 

WoW is still better than anything released in 2012, but I think people need new.

As far as Borecraft being "better" than anything released in 2012, that is just your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly, your taste in MMO's is something to be desired. Nonetheless, whatever rocks that carrot of yours. (Carrot-dangling humor incase it was above your head). :)

Originally posted by Razperil

Something happened between wotlk and cata. Where BC felt like a new gae, wotlk felt like a new game, cata felt like the same old thing but less. Pandas felt better, but still too much of the same. They keep adding dungeons and battle grounds, but the systems either stayed the same or got trimmed. I think they are playing it way too safe. 

Is it possible for a game to be too polished, too streamlined? I keep going back to a quote from a gguy where he said "one guys frustration, is another guys game." 

WoW is still better than anything released in 2012, but I think people need new.

As far as Borecraft being "better" than anything released in 2012, that is just your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly, your taste in MMO's is something to be desired. Nonetheless, whatever rocks that carrot of yours. (Carrot-dangling humor incase it was above your head). :)

Better is subjective, but I'm basing it off my time played/replay ability. SWTOR 3 months, TSW 4 months, GW2 3 weeks, PS2 2-3 months. WoW 5 years. The thing is in some way shape or form these games followed the WoW philosphy. The thing other thing is, after Billions of dollars WoW has that philosophy in spades.

I just got tired of those philosophies, and Blizzards steamlining paved the way for my exit. 

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    After 6 years you need to leave. There are other mmo's available now FYI. You have spent 1100 dollars on it, could have got a PS3, Xbox, Wii U and some fun games for each :( .
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by wowclones
    After 6 years you need to leave. There are other mmo's available now FYI. You have spent 1100 dollars on it, could have got a PS3, Xbox, Wii U and some fun games for each :( .

I have not been playing for a couple of months now, but when I would leave I'd do ONE thing NOT: start another MMORPG because so much other things to do in life then yet grind in another game with less polish and no RL friends in it.

Play board games, do some sports, read, catch up on films and watch the replay of Seinfeld and Frasier :)

Also the reason why I am not playing atm is because of all these things and I am in a switch mode. I stopped healing with my Paladin in that awful healing nerf in CATA, my rogue is doing awful in PVE and MoP PvP is not fun for a Rogue with all those extensive crowd controls.

So that only leaves the hunter and I am not in the mood of playing a hunter in a China setting.

All the rest of the video games is kind a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No shooters, I dislike SC2 and its old resource strategy, I don't play computer wargames and Diablo 3 was fun for a while but very hallow after a few months.

IPads are not really good either to play games on. Perhaps one or two times a week a game of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne and that's it.

I think most WOW players who leave have a very hard time to find something else and frankly I just wait for the next Blizzard game to launch (outside of SC2 which I don't like).

But I am no fool either, I am not going to waste 4000 hours in a hollow MMORPG after having played the Blizzard quality of things like real open worlds to walk, run and fly in.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Actually snapped the authenticator off the key ring yesterday (plastic just got old & brittle). Brief nostalgia moment, but quickly passing...."Dammit! Oh, haven't used this thing in years, anyway." Still generated a code though, not bad after...six? years since I bought it, can't complain about the durability of the little gizmo.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Murashu

You...will....be.......back.

I have a bunch of long time friends who all swore they were done with WoW after WotLK and somehow got sucked in by those damn little Pandas. Take a break and enjoy your time away, but if you really played for that long I have a hard time believing you are gone for good :)

LOL nope I am done. WoW is past its prime for me. No reason to go back.

No you will. I was done for 1 1/2 years, and still bought MoP and played for 2 weeks.. You'll leave again, but you'll be back.

REALLY! I left WoW mid cata...now MoP is out and i still havent bought it....GF has it and plays it like its her life asides from that ill never get back into WoW again...as OP said its past its prime and can only go downhill from where it is now.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

Good job. it's hard to let go of toons you spent countless hours playing and building. but when it stops being a hobby and starts sucking your life and more like a job, it's always time to walk away go find some real people to be friends with. I never considered people I meet in a video games as 'friends'. But glad you got out. I had a good run in WOW. to the point I never needed quest helpers I grinded so many max level toons i could have done it blindfolded.

Gratz.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Agreed. There's a bonus to getting rid of the wow habit too when the next wow expansion comes along you have the option to really enjoy the levelling experience and end game until you get bored and without the pressure/gear trap. For the price of an expansion you get that wonderful feeling of nostalgia and amusement at watching those trapped in the next gear cycle :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

What's the point of declaring "I AM DONE WITH THIS GAME FOR GOOD!!!". Do you guys seriously play this game nonstop and then when you do stop you vow to never return? That's such a weird playing cycle.

Personally I can only stand to play WoW for about 1-3 months at a time before I have to take a year or more off from the game because it just simply gets really dull after a while. But I never go "Hmpf, I shall never play this again, ever!" because what's the point of that? Instead I figure if they release cool content in the future I might just have a look again.

Originally posted by Zzulu

What's the point of declaring "I AM DONE WITH THIS GAME FOR GOOD!!!". Do you guys seriously play this game nonstop and then when you do stop you vow to never return? That's such a weird playing cycle.

Personally I can only stand to play WoW for about 1-3 months at a time before I have to take a year or more off from the game because it just simply gets really dull after a while. But I never go "Hmpf, I shall never play this again, ever!" because what's the point of that? Instead I figure if they release cool content in the future I might just have a look again.

I guess you never had the family and friends expierince with WoW? Would you delete your toons then? Or to much time of your RL invested? I deleted my toons for good. Just to keep me from going back. No way in hell im going to grind anouther toon.