Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or has MMO games in general become boring and stale with nothing new to offer?

124»

Comments

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Marcus-

What is it you want to do?

Also, calling SWG a quality game may be a stretch...

I just want a MMO game to jump and me knock me off my chair and say ok Im yours for the next few years. I just dont see that anymore.

SWG inovation was its crafting system. Very fresh for the time.

Sorry to say, but you're never going to get that feeling again.  It's like first love, it's always stronger and rosey colored that first time.  After that, the more you do it, it can be old hat.  MMO's now especially since they can't cater to a single player and instead have to appeal to a mass, which means it's HIGHLY likely that there are going to be features in a game you don't want and there will be features lacking that you do all in the name of a compromise to give just enough of a little bit of everything so more people will play.

You mention SWG as your opus of sorts, well enjoy those rosey colored memories.  I know my first MMO experience will be just the same (SWG as well).  Yes it was a flawed game, immensely so, but you know what, I loved 'er.  Every game since has just missed the mark more and more as I play more and more.  At some point I had to accept that first time feeling doesn't come back.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

I just want a MMO game to jump and me knock me off my chair and say ok Im yours for the next few years. I just dont see that anymore.

Sorry to say, but you're never going to get that feeling again.  It's like first love, it's always stronger and rosey colored that first time.  After that, the more you do it, it can be old hat.  MMO's now especially since they can't cater to a single player and instead have to appeal to a mass, which means it's HIGHLY likely that there are going to be features in a game you don't want and there will be features lacking that you do all in the name of a compromise to give just enough of a little bit of everything so more people will play.

You mention SWG as your opus of sorts, well enjoy those rosey colored memories.  I know my first MMO experience will be just the same (SWG as well).  Yes it was a flawed game, immensely so, but you know what, I loved 'er.  Every game since has just missed the mark more and more as I play more and more.  At some point I had to accept that first time feeling doesn't come back.

People keep going on about this "first love" thing, yet it doesn't stack up with any other genre, you don't hear FPS fans going on about Wolfenstein, or platformers saying they want everything back like Donkey Kong was. MMOs have changed and in my opinion, despite technically improving, the gameplay has not improved, they have lost a lot of the things that I like, that isn't rose tinted glasses, just sadness. Happily a lot of the new games coming out are looking better in those regards.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I think the nature of risks is that you don't know if it is going to pan out. If it is a sure thing, it is not a risk.

So we won't know .. until the risk pan out, and the next WOW arrives. Before that, everything just look .. risky.

And the risks are almost universally rejected by existing players...why can't we have Vanilla back? This was a great game before ToA. Damn them and their NGE.

MMO players talk a good game with regard to wanting innovation. But they don't walk the walk.

So what you want is not dev taking risks .. but going back to the old way?

If you want innovation, embrace new ideas. People who want the old days do not want innovation, by definition.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    There are not 50 million Massively Multiplayer Online gamers in the United States.

Specially when there are only 300m in all of US. One out of every six people in the US dont play MMOs.. lol. They might play video games, or have played an online game, but none of that has to do with MMO.

If you wers truely into statistica, you would understand how errent the numbers are you are trying to toss around are. But then again, you are always trying to skew #'s.

Link aside... do u really believe there are 50 million people playing MMOs in the United States..? Note.. I diidnt ask you about your source, only if u believe what u read.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

People keep going on about this "first love" thing, yet it doesn't stack up with any other genre, you don't hear FPS fans going on about Wolfenstein, or platformers saying they want everything back like Donkey Kong was. MMOs have changed and in my opinion, despite technically improving, the gameplay has not improved, they have lost a lot of the things that I like, that isn't rose tinted glasses, just sadness. Happily a lot of the new games coming out are looking better in those regards.

Maybe other genre's of games don't have people becoming as  emotionally invested in them. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    The new MMOs are crap. I wouldn't say it's because they don't offer new things. Most MMOs do offer something new. The problem is that the new features they offer are only created so that the general crap fest of the last seven years can continue.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Have Devs ran out of fresh idea's?

Anets with GW2 DE system is quite fresh take on the themepark model.

That maybe but then what? Sorry its a good step but it dont contenue to allow GG2 to grow?

It will never be good enough now wil it?? (be honest here, no company can make content as fast as players can run trough it so it will NEVER be enough for the gamers).

imho, the only way to realy succeed is in a sandbox where players are able to make the content....players CAN make more content then a dev team can i one single day.

but like i sayd, just mho.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Well ive been playing almost every mmo since 10 y. All i can say now is that i dont have the time or want to spend the time in a virtual world like before. I like insant gratification. Its the right decision made for todays age. 

Back then there were huge jumps between technologies, and since there were nothing similiar to the ones before it looked insane and thats why we loved them so much. The games that come out now have been already in development for 5 years maybe and are already old before hitting the market. Besides taht they dont provide new stuff, except they provide more to do because the devs have a variety of choices to steal from other mmos.

I dont know if anyone knows the anime "Sword Art Online". That Anime provides already a small glimps what a real next gen mmo will be: you set up your helm, sit somwhere, and jump into a lving mmo world where all your movments will be navigated by your brain alone.

All we see now is recylced trash. Titan? pha Blizzard can make whatever they want, as long as there is no new technology jump- there will be no next gen. WoW got only favorised because they hit the market in the right time, when that technology with good graphics started to grow and many had a pc already.

Next gen begins with new technology.