Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

Comments

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

Yes it did, but I've learned this game isn't  really for TES fans just for those who like daoc.

It probably still sell well just because of the TES ip, and then probably drop in active members like mad when people realize they're not getting a TES mmo

Then with the few million or so left who like the game will slowly leave one by one as they realize there is no endgame because Zenimax won't be making enough money to support rapid development of content.

And then it will fall to the way side just like the many other themeparks before it

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

No quite the opposite. Love the fact that they have races locked to factions. Makes them more distinctive.

Its far better when you know an enemy race is running towards you, rather than just looking for the hostile name tag.

Also locking the leveling areas is fine, just gives me reason to reroll other factions and see the world from their point of view.

• obake90obake90 Member Posts: 60

My question is why can't the make it both, have this mega server be PVE and PvP?

PVE everything is open everyone can run everywhere.... but if you want pvp you sign up for your faction (like SWG or old school EQ when return the book to be flag pvp) Once you sign up in your faction you will become flag as Pvp and can attack other flag Players, other faction citys guards will attack you ect...

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

As it is only 1 server and you can only be in one faction, yes that sucks.

Would be better with 3 servers, then you can play all three factions.

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138

No... If anything, it's piqued my interest.

The game is based around three alliances, basically racial alliances. Switching that all up at the character level is going against the point and creates a contradictory game story/world. Race has always been a big deal in TES games, and racism has always been a big deal as well. Cultures and races are very distinct and isolated geographically. It makes complete sense that the alliances would be phobic.

There is no middle ground for compromise for the developers, you either let everyone or no one cross-racialize the factions. They had to choose one of the extremes in character creation, contradiction and variation, or culture and limits. They definitely made the right decision, as min-maxing would definitely take advantage of the other and eventually destroy the overall story/lore from within, which is a huge part of any great game.

Faction lock made DAoC a great game. Faction pride, sense of belonging, distinct culture and ways of doing things as a group/faction, immediate recognition of enemies, consistent lore, etc. etc.

I guarantee you if you could play a troll wizard, lurikeen berserker, or a half-ogre bainshee,  DAoC would've been a complete and utter failure.

It's nice to see another game making a good decision for a change.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Ebonheart

No... If anything, it's peaked my interest.

I don't want to be a grammar Nazi, but I figured I should do a community service.

The expression is 'piqued my interest' and not 'peaked my interest'.

Pique means to excite or to arouse an emotion.

Originally posted by evilastro

No... If anything, it's peaked my interest.

I don't want to be a grammar Nazi, but I figured I should do a community service.

The expression is 'piqued my interest' and not 'peaked my interest'.

Pique means to excite or to arouse an emotion.

Either works actually.

Perhaps I meant that my interest has reached it's peak. Therefore this has peaked my interest.

Regardless, I changed it. You should be able to continue with your life now.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    If our guild is locked to one faction then yeah we likely won't be establishing here.  Back when DAOC launched it wasn't such a huge issue as you didn't have all these pre-existing guilds that had been playing together for years.   I played DAOC once there was a co-op server and was free to roam all territories, and our guild could group together no matter which area we were from.  Really wish they'd offer this option for those who don't care to pvp.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Has Guild Wars 2 made everybody anti-faction?  Factions have been a part of some of the biggest selling MMO's on the planet.  People act like they said there would be no WASD movement or something.

What's with the constant mud slinging at TESO?  It's blatantly obvious that there is a small, but loud, segment of players that simply want this game to fail, and fail hard.  I'm not saying that I think it's an awesome game or a bad game - NOBODY HAS PLAYED IT YET.  What if it's fun? 

Let's wait until we get a chance to beta this sucker before we crucify it.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

The game is based around three alliances, basically racial alliances. Switching that all up at the character level is going against the point and creates a contradictory game story/world. Race has always been a big deal in TES games, and racism has always been a big deal as well. Cultures and races are very distinct and isolated geographically. It makes complete sense that the alliances would be phobic.

There is no middle ground for compromise for the developers, you either let everyone or no one cross-racialize the factions. They had to choose one of the extremes in character creation, contradiction and variation, or culture and limits. They definitely made the right decision, as min-maxing would definitely take advantage of the other and eventually destroy the overall story/lore from within, which is a huge part of any great game.

Faction lock made DAoC a great game. Faction pride, sense of belonging, distinct culture and ways of doing things as a group/faction, immediate recognition of enemies, consistent lore, etc. etc.

I guarantee you if you could play a troll wizard, lurikeen berserker, or a half-ogre bainshee,  DAoC would've been a complete and utter failure.

Yeah your right racism has been a big thing in TES however why in the world would the Orcs be allied with Redguard or the Argonians allied with Dunmer.  I mean Blackmarsh is not that far from Elsweyr and the Argonians are natural born swimmers and sea folk.  The Factions were never about rasism or land locks its only about remaking daoc and then slaping a coat of TES paint over it.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Elder scrolls, a game known for its unbound unlimited freedom and exploration, is making an MMo which restricts both freedom and exploration.

Sounds like star wars all over again, these devs need to stop riding on the fucking names of popular games and actually take the time to play the fucking game, that way thye dont bastardize any adaptation they decide to make.

Ill just play neverwinter.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by cura
    Nope. Lack of open world pvp, housing and sand box features did.

Cyrodill is open and housing is first priority on the list after release.  Sandboxes suck ass and are a niche sub-genre.

As to answer the OP's question.........HELL YES.  I get the following:
    • Spiritual Successor to DAoC.  The best PvP game of all time
    • Open world exploration across vast swathes of Tamriel
    • open ended class bas system that lets me wear any armor and wiled any weapon I want plus I get to customize my skills and pick and choose which skills suit me more.
    • A return to non-Instanced dungeons

If devs always try to follow the path blazed for them by their predecessors they will never create their own path. 

Elder scrols has a chance to truly breakt eh mold, but they have made it clear that they dont want to risk it, this is star wars the old republic all over again.

Faction locked races - this comes from wow, its not an elder scroll thing, because there are no faction locks on races.

faction locked territory - i am alright with faction owning territory, but to be completely banned from entering it? thats a terrible idea.

I have no fuckng faith in this game, i expect it to go the route of swtor, flash in the pan, awesome for about 2 weeks, then who gives a fuck come end game.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Originally posted by maddog15a

Yeah your right racism has been a big thing in TES however why in the world would the Orcs be allied with Redguard or the Argonians allied with Dunmer.  I mean Blackmarsh is not that far from Elsweyr and the Argonians are natural born swimmers and sea folk.  The Factions were never about rasism or land locks its only about remaking daoc and then slaping a coat of TES paint over it.

The phobic nature of certain racial and cultural groups is pretty obvious throughout all of the TES games. There are deragatory names for pretty much every race. The Aldmeri Dominion was (is? we'll have to wait and see) basically an Elvish supremecy group, the high and wood elves at least. Don't forget the Stormcloaks and "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" either. Not to mention all of the N'wahs in Morrowind. Many of the races are also routinely and stereotypically regarded as untrustworthy (khajiit) or stupid (orcs). Saying that racism isn't a big deal in TES games or lore is ridiculous. Do you actually play the games or just run at things?

That aside, I wasn't saying these alliances (factions) are based entirely in racism. Although, one could make an argument that it's still a big part of the Aldmeri dominion. Regardless, being split into alliances as they are, it would only make sense for them to be identified by the cultural geographies which comprise them and the races that live therein. It's also a matter of practicality to only have the races from each alliance be playable within each alliance, both geographically and lore-wise. Many players are notorious for min-maxing and rolling the BoTM. It wouldn't make much sense for the Aldmeri dominion to be comprised of a bunch of Redguards and Orcs now would it?

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Personally what killed my intrest was the megaserver.  I have yet to play a game with a megaserver/single shard, other then eve, that wasn't full of trolls and soloers.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

As it is only 1 server and you can only be in one faction, yes that sucks.

Would be better with 3 servers, then you can play all three factions.

This isn't the case tho, you can roll alts on the oposing factions, they just get locked out of the pvp "campaign" that your main is on

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dessertfox

What I find amusing is you are going to play Neverwinter instead.

THAT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE A FANTASY SWTOR

Hell the devs have stated that the game is 50% instanced!
    Originally posted by maddog15a

The phobic nature of certain racial and cultural groups is pretty obvious throughout all of the TES games. There are deragatory names for pretty much every race. The Aldmeri Dominion was (is? we'll have to wait and see) basically an Elvish supremecy group, the high and wood elves at least. Don't forget the Stormcloaks and "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" either. Not to mention all of the N'wahs in Morrowind. Many of the races are also routinely and stereotypically regarded as untrustworthy (khajiit) or stupid (orcs). Saying that racism isn't a big deal in TES games or lore is ridiculous. Do you actually play the games or just run at things?

That aside, I wasn't saying these alliances (factions) are based entirely in racism. Although, one could make an argument that it's still a big part of the Aldmeri dominion. Regardless, being split into alliances as they are, it would only make sense for them to be identified by the cultural geographies which comprise them and the races that live therein. It's also a matter of practicality to only have the races from each alliance be playable within each alliance, both geographically and lore-wise. Many players are notorious for min-maxing and rolling the BoTM. It wouldn't make much sense for the Aldmeri dominion to be comprised of a bunch of Redguards and Orcs now would it?

But a alliance between the Orcs and Redguard makes even less sense as the two have been in and out of war over racial hate even before the empire began.

And Hello I said racism has been a big thing in TES, but apparently you skipped over that just like the developers skipped over the history the races they allied have with one another.

The only alliance that makes even a lick of sense is the Aldmeri dominion between the high elves and wood elves.  Thats only because the High elves believe that all the Mer races are superior compared to the Human and Beast races.  Its funny but the Orcs(or Orcmer) would be more accepted by the high elves then by the Redguard.

I'll say it again the factions were only made to push the lead developers 3 faction pvp system from daoc into the game.  The lore of TES was adjusted or ignored to facilitate this system

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Dantae87

note im not looking for hardcore massive gank everyone pvp...just the option to explor would have been appreciated.

So you can't create 1 character for each faction then explore?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Maddog I sorta agree on the composition of the factions.

Altmer / bosmer / khajit
    Redguard / nord / breton
    Imperial / orc / argonian

With dark elves as the villains working for boethia or something with Morrowind as the pvp area would have made more sense lore wise.

I really don't see nords and dunmer working together. I see argonian doing anything with dunmer even less, seen as dunmer are slavers in Morrowind and argonian have had their revenge and invaded Morrowind in skyrim.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I don't mind it at all. It worked in DAOC just fine.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Dantae87

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw.

Once I heard factions I knew it was downhill from there because if a company is willing to make one drastic change from the IP, they will be making others, and they have. Closed faction areas, Races limited to factions, PvP limited to PvP zones, Lore changes...this is just DaoC 2 in a TES skin.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• george99george99 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    It worked in DAoC and I loved it so going to say this is an improvement over most games with pvp...
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485

There's this odd notion that in order for an MMO to be an MMO it has to have "certain" mechanics and restrictions put in place.

It's just nonsense.

There's no need at all for, for example, players to be restricted to certain areas of the game because of their faction. It stands to reason that certain factions would make it difficult for those of other factions to simply roam around their territory, but to put in place a "hidden wall" or code-based block to prevent (for example) a Wood Elf from going into Dark Elf territory is at once immersion breaking and further stretches the suspension of reality to a point where you're constantly reminded that you're playing a game and not, as The Elder Scrolls tries (and largely succeeds) to do, expriences another world.

Matt Firor is a clueless man indeed. He, like Mark Jacobs and other such "veteran" MMO developers, buys into this notion that there is only one way of laying the foundations for an MMO. That is a fools notion indeed. He simply lacks imagination. He's been tried and tested, and now he's outdated.

The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be an unmitigatable failure in the grand scheme of things. It is unapologetically aiming to make the same mistakes that titles like Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars The Old Republic have made. The post-release schedule for TESO will be thrown out the window - like it was with SWTOR - as ZeniMax Studios scrabble to mount a robust agenda of damage control. The ONLY hope for the title is that it doesn't carry a subscription; that is clearly what Saved" Guild Wars 2 from total failure.

When I talk about "failure" here, I'm not talking about having a few hundred thousand people playing it. I'm talking about the fact that it will fail to sustain a mass market player base. That is the aim and ambition they have, and it is the sole reason they are copying the basic "current gen" foundation for TESO. The irony is that it's also the reason they will fail to succeed in those terms.

I'm sorry, but the more I hear from Matt Firor - and apologetic nonsense from the salivating fan base that has formed around the game so far - the more confident I am that the game is destined to tank. And I WILL be saying, "I told you so." So many people are deluded about the MMORPG genre as a whole; the nonsensical blithering and misguided hope you place in "the next big title" has only ever ended in disappointment for the bast majority of you, so why do you do it?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

You people need to get your DAOC crap out of my Elder Scrolls. 

Faction lock pisses me off and goes against the entire Elder Scrolls universe.  What's worse, they've paired up factions that don't even LIKE each other as a way to have even-steven teams.

That's bollocks!

DAOC was ok for what it was.  Make up a new IP call it dark age of atlantis and BAM done.  Screwing an IP's history for money is exactly why Square Enix is epicly failing right now. (not to mention ToR and all the stupid WoW-wannabe-copycats)

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

People love spreading doom and gloom about this game when barely any information has actually been revealed. There has been no indication that factions are "locked" and that you cannot play your character in other faction areas. The only thing that has been stated afaik is that there are 3 story paths for leveling, each taking place in the different faction areas. There has not been an indication that you cannot play with the other factions other then pure speculation.

The story could be based on what faction you select and you may very well still be able to play in that area if you are a member of another faction. There is no instanced battleground based PvP in the game and the focus of PvP will be in the central area. I doubt you will see factions fighting eachother in the story areas even if they allow you to go to other faction zones.