Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Western devs bragging about what koreans already done

1235»

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

This is from someone that has played GW2 to cap and unfortunately played TERA to cap due to a friend enjoying the game. 

Well the class matters as well...

Also TERA will infinitely be faster than games like WoW or Rift where you can macro/stand still for entire encounters, GW2 is argueable because they have a dodge so there's some twitch skill needed. 

If you want slow or fast paced in TERA it just depends on the class.

[mod edit]

I've played all four games I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mWJ0JuIEOo

You don't need reaction time remotely close to the person tanking in this video to do any content in WoW or Rift, you've always got to be watching the actual mobs animations and be ready to react to what it does, rather than hotbar spam things off CD to maximize dps/threat. 

That's all WoW and Rift are, it's setting up macros/rotations that maximize dps/threat, there's nothing remotely interesting about it.

This is from someone that has played GW2 to cap and unfortunately played TERA to cap due to a friend enjoying the game. 

Also TERA will infinitely be faster than games like WoW or Rift where you can macro/stand still for entire encounters, GW2 is argueable because they have a dodge so there's some twitch skill needed. 

[mod edit]

You don't need reaction time remotely close to the person tanking in this video to do any content in WoW or Rift, you've always got to be watching the actual mobs animations and be ready to react to what it does, rather than hotbar spam things off CD to maximize dps/threat. 

That's all WoW and Rift are, it's setting up macros/rotations that maximize dps/threat, there's nothing remotely interesting about it. 

[mod edit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKz1UF57Qw

Oh look, a standing still encounter in WoW? Thought that's not what it was like according to you, 4 minutes without taking a step.

Some people like that I guess, after playing TERA I could never go back to WoW, TERAs animation locking sure looks more actioney in that video I posted over this WoW video where you have free movement while casting.

Just because a game has free movements or rooting doesn't make it  action or not, it's how the game plays and it's clear which one is actioney.

I've been hearing the same thing for 8 months, rooting = not action combat, free movement = action combat. And it's just plain annoying.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by dwarflordking

yet games like guildwars and ESO start bragging about its dated combat..  I remember SWTOR bragging the crap out of its amazing innovative combat system.. when you actually see the game its the same point and click crap...

you know SWTOR was the 1st game that has weapon collisions and its attack anims are very impresive so yes still is innovative.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Oh look, a standing still encounter in WoW? Thought that's not what it was like according to you, 4 minutes without taking a step.

Some people like that I guess, after playing TERA I could never go back to WoW, TERAs animation locking sure looks more actioney in that video I posted over this WoW video where you have free movement while casting.

Just because a game has free movements or rooting doesn't make it  action or not, it's how the game plays and it's clear which one is actioney.

I've been hearing the same thing for 8 months, rooting = not action combat, free movement = action combat. And it's just plain annoying.

[mod edit]

Obviously some mechanics make you move once and a while, but really, outside of the few mechanics that target you or the ground near you, you almost never need to move. He moves for a mechanic every few minutes, whereas in TERA if you're standing still for more than 5-6 seconds you're doing something wrong.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Obviously some mechanics make you move once and a while, but really, outside of the few mechanics that target you or the ground near you, you almost never need to move. He moves for a mechanic every few minutes, whereas in TERA if you're standing still for more than 5-6 seconds you're doing something wrong.

just because you have to jump around like an idiot does not mean the boss mechanics are cool in any way.

what i saw of tera was rather boring, the need to move was more important than knowing why or where to move. just move.

if that's what "action combat" is about for you, you could also play a f1 game. at least you have a way to follow there.

seriously. tera cannot mess with wow in any way.

oh wait, it has boobies :)

gotcha now.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

just because you have to jump around like an idiot does not mean the boss mechanics are cool in any way.

what i saw of tera was rather boring, the need to move was more important than knowing why or where to move. just move.

if that's what "action combat" is about for you, you could also play a f1 game. at least you have a way to follow there.

gotcha now.

Why to move? Because the boss actually takes swings at you that you can actually dodge, the reason to move is to avoid damage and take stress off the healers or to avoid getting hit by one of the stronger almost one shot attacks.

Where to move?  Out of the bosses attack, so you don't get hit.

Lol...[mod edit] If you dodge randomly, youll die by leaving yourself exposed to a bosses attack btw, you dont just move, you watch the boss at all times to look for tells that give you an idea of what attack hes about to do.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

This thread and many like it are why we can't have nice things.

When the players themselves can't agree on what constitutes "action" or "sandbox", how on earth are the devs going to?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

gotcha now.

Why to move? Because the boss actually takes swings at you that you can actually dodge, the reason to move is to avoid damage and take stress off the healers or to avoid getting hit by one of the stronger almost one shot attacks.

Lol...[mod edit] If you dodge randomly, youll die by leaving yourself exposed to a bosses attack btw, you dont just move, you watch the boss at all times to look for tells that give you an idea of what attack hes about to do.

yea, thats why we move in wow too, i know it sounds shocking to you, but we evade moves just like you.

and my pounts were as useless as yours about wow, at least you seem to begin to understand now, tho i doubt you WANT to.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

gotcha now.

yea, thats why we move in wow too, i know it sounds shocking to you, but we evade moves just like you.

and my pounts were as useless as yours about wow, at least you seem to begin to understand now, tho i doubt you WANT to.

I played WoW to level 85 back in Cata, there's nothing I need to understand lol. I used to think it's combat was fun and exciting too, then I played a game where combat actually was fun and exciting and reliant on player skill rather than gear score/rotations to maximize DPS while standing still 90% of the time.

Looking back at WoW actually is making me appreciate GW2 more, while it was tab-target at least you had to be active, since there were no tanks or healers you had to move around to avoid the boss and heal yourself when hit on top of dpsing rather than just standing still going through your dps rotations while someone heals you and a tank keeps the boss away from you.

GW2 is an ideal tab-target approach to combat that creates active gameplay, WoW is not. Still neither feel as rewarding as TERAs combat to me though.

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190

I guess this is pointless but here goes my input anyway, having played Tera I found the combat better than anything wow/gw2/rift and so on brings in terms of combat. You actually feel the weight of combat and it forces you to be careful when using a skill and how, much like most fighting games, eg Street Fighter/Tekken and so on. Use the wrong skill at the wrong time and it leaves you vunerable, that is the point of it and all these fighting games that share the same concept. Play Street Fighter and use a strong skill at the wrong time, you wil become exposed to attacks during the animation.

Having said that a Warrior in Tera with end game gear is way faster (in terms of active skills per second, auto attack does not count) than anything in wow/gw2/rift. I will have to agree with the people here that have played it far above the low levels, it is not slow at all and the pace of combat is totally different later on and for me a lot more fulfilling. Another thing is the lack of auto attack.

Generally speaking I would say asian mmos games are actually faster than western. For example compare Aion to WoW and the likes, while in WoW your rogue, cat druid, monk or DK are using a 1 second global cooldown between skills in Aion an assassin will just carve at least twice as many runes than those classes.

Finally, the first action rpg that I recall (not saying it was the first) was diablo and it has always been considered an action rpg. Well diablo also has animation locks, much like fighting games or Tera and so on. I am not saying animation locks define what is acton combat, but I will say the action games have been using this type of combat for ages, way before mmos were born.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by DamonVile

One of the great things about tera is how much effort people put into telling everyone it's bad. I don't know if it's because it's Korean and they hate it for being Asian or because it's got a lot of sexy costumes and it makes their bible hurt.

Either way..it's funny.

Its also funny how some of the same people say SWTOR went F2P, proof the game is bad are the same people saying TERA going F2P has nothing to do with it being good or not, its just to allow more people to play a good game...

Sorry, good games dont go from Subscription to F2P in such a short time unless they are PoS's...but then, most people already knew that about TERA by its poor reception in Asia a year before hitting the west. BTW, loved the Bible reference...very fitting your mentality. Guess someone should now say that Tera was made for pedo's because of the Elin race...

Your argument boils down to if it's not wow it sucks. Just about every mmo launched in the last 2 years has gone free to play. If you want to sit here and say they all suck...that makes you just one of the burnt out morons that sit on this site complaining about everything and playing nothing.

Games don't suck because you don't play them. " suck " is an opinion not a fact like you seem to be trying to use it.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Novusod

The original poster makes a really good point. The western developers have been copying KOREAN games for ages but this has been going on forever.

Vindictus came out a few years before GW2 and has far superior combat.

But Vindictus also uses peer to peer technology for parties.  Now while that may work for a small country like Korea, which has some of the best internet infrastructure in the world, its not something that works nearly that well for NA. 

I've played Vindictus a LOT more than I did GW2 (only made it to level 60 in GW2), but they are both targeted at diffferent audiences.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Alders

This thread is a special kind of thread. Here's his previous one.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by simmihi
    I agree with one thing, the western devs really need a reality check. We are starting to lose our specific MMO philosophy which gave birth to games with depth, great character customisation, planning, complexity, player reputation, sense of comunity. Instead we're gaining shallow games, with close to none RPG elements and this "action real time combat" crap which brings a ton of moro... errr "leet people" to the genre. These are not mmoRPG's, now we got FPS games with levels, even those levels being pointless, as your stat-points and everything are usually auto-allocated, skills auto-learned, auto-crafting etc. No wonder everyone quits after 2 weeks.

This is what I've been trying to say for awhile now, though not quite so concise and well said, bravo!

• ClaudelClaudel Member UncommonPosts: 51

nothing new about this shet, just read any label nowdays

designed in USA, Made in China.

anyways 90% of any games whatsoever are either made in asia or coded/design/developed by asians, plus 50% of the nowadays games are just copy pastes with dif names, but dont quote me on this one...

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

So basically.....he's a Asiaphile....is that a word? But basically him going Asian mmos are better, boo to Western mmos?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Kendane
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

So basically.....he's a Asiaphile....is that a word? But basically him going Asian mmos are better, boo to Western mmos?

Great detective work. Digging up a topic that's 3 years, 4 months old.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Oh how I would love a GW2 with TERA's combat and animations, SWG's crafting system and a touch of Eve's sandbox system. I am sure a game like that would cause a major recession in most western countries.

As for you RPG people: You have your tab targeting RPGs. Please understand that we action oriented players have yet to recieve a TERA-style AAA game from a western company. It's very frustrating. Thats why a lot of threads like this come into existence.

As for you FPS people: Just get over it that some people do not want to have a challenge in their games or an online match with other people. They just want to chill out in a different way than you do.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.