Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my personal experience of ArcheAge Open Beta

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Yizle
    Well the game is not what I was hoping for or expecting. I thought it was a sandbox not a themepark till the endgame content.

Would like to learn more about the pvp.

You don't have to be at endgame to experience the content. You can build, craft anything you want at any lvl, you can start a farm at any lvl, you can explore at any lvl. Heck you don't even need to be at endgame to enjoy the pvp.

There are videos from Bcfido, the german who helps anyone in the game. Through his good deeds, he already has a small fortune, and becoming famous. He is already famous with AA fans here in the west. He built his house, farm, and ship, and built up his crafting. Guess what he is only lvl 35.

Here is a video of him doing seafare trade, exploring and finding a nice island to build his farm on. Look at this video, he is lvl 16 in this video, along with 2 friends that are lvl 35 and lvl 26.

http://youtu.be/d8AzLDNJx6k

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Damn it...quest hubs...FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I don't digg em but eh well. This is a good review though it isn't biased, no bitch ass secret agenda, just pure honesty lol.

I'll still keep an eye but not as excited as I was before reading this review.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The lvling process sounds like an extended tutorial...a few weeks to max lvl?? I can see why some would call it very very casual. Thankfully after the tutorial seems to hold promise. Smallish zones and a couple weeks to lvl sounds more casual than recent releases.

Edit: Quest hubs make me want to club baby seals.
  • SritSrit Member UncommonPosts: 2
    how do i get into the open beta? or in this game aat all?
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Srit
    how do i get into the open beta? or in this game aat all?

Open Beta ended last week. The game is now in retail. But it is in retail in South Korea only. So unless you know a nice Korean, you won't be able to play...:(

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Great review, I'm looking forward to trying this game out for myself as well and I haven't read/heard much about it yet so this was a good read!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• This was a great review!! I'm pretty excited for ArcheAge. Char creation looked pretty sweet, as did those ships! I think this and Neverwinter are the two games I'm most excited for in the coming year.
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Zierrity
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Why oh why do all the "sandbox" activities have to be reserved for end-game?

This saddens me. Will have to wait and see for myself in a hopefully English open beta at some point, but man...

How hard is it for these devs to understand that most people are tired of grinding boring stuff to get to the good stuff?

Themebox / Sandpark is a valid idea - but it's not "themepark leveling than sandbox end game" that we want - it's a fusion from the very start with NO FINISH.

My guess is that it's hard to try to please two different type of playerbases, and therefore they chose keep the themepark in the beginning, and the Sand box elements at the end to keep player longevity, as themeparks usually fail to keep players playing their games when they can access the end game.

But for what it's worth, I do agree with wanting more of the sand box elements earlier than at the end game.

December 2009. EVE Trial.

day 1: look around, do some quests tutorial gives me. explore the UI. ask for help in newbie channel with UI etc. Get lost, have no idea what autopilot actually does etc.

day 2: AGAIN KILL RATS GO ALK TO AGENTS AND DELIVER STUFF? No. No. Enough of this. I just want to mine. That was the last quest I did.

Day 3 I subbed. to fly an industrial ship. Fast forard to this weekend. I mined about 14 hours total between friday and present.

tl;dr: "Sandbox" and "endgame" don't go in same sentence. It will hurt them badly if they try. If I go there for a sandbox and you give me 100 levels of themepark first, we'll have a problem.

edit: not claiming mining is all I do. it's just what I mostly do :). And its what I wanted to do since I first saw a mining belt full of newbies with their iny lasers and a hulk mining like a boss from much further away with much more serious lasers.

If this level of freedom isn't viable until gendgame, a player might rush through if he wants sandbox...or be turned off by the 'lack of pve oriented endgame' if he wants themepark. If feel the fusion between theme-sand is not done right.

I suggest you go play darkfall UW, its has major combat issues and balance issues but it has some of the best harvest / crafting out there and you can join a guild build your city etc people would love to have an extra hardcore miner around :P

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

Well at least now I know I won't bother with this game whenever it's available for 'Merica.

Asian grind fest until endgame and that is when I can participate in the sandboxy elements... no thanks.

erm, have you ever played "An asian grindfest?"

Historically you go out in a field or dungeon or cave and just grind mobs until you log off. There really isn't any questing. And certainly, as has been stated several times in this thread, no xp for finding things or doing "whatever" as well as what seems to be copious amounts of xp for doing quests. In an asian grind fest you "just grind mobs". That's it.

So "no" this would not be considered an asian grindfest.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

Well at least now I know I won't bother with this game whenever it's available for 'Merica.

Asian grind fest until endgame and that is when I can participate in the sandboxy elements... no thanks.

erm, have you ever played "An asian grindfest?"

Historically you go out in a field or dungeon or cave and just grind mobs until you log off. There really isn't any questing. And certainly, as has been stated several times in this thread, no xp for finding things or doing "whatever" as well as what seems to be copious amounts of xp for doing quests. In an asian grind fest you "just grind mobs". That's it.

So "no" this would not be considered an asian grindfest.

naknaknak. I don't think companies bother releasing asian grindfests here anymore, they've learned we expect more then that nonsense so they just don't bother. I've heard from several people this game is mostly quest based for progression, and very quick to level....And that the quests are much better than "TERA", and that was really my biggest concern when it came to leveling...TERA's quests were the worst, most boring things ever. I want to get into the sandbox elements of AA the most, and while I'm not a fan of being ganked relentlessly, which apparently happens at the moment, I think I can deal in order to have a game that's as rich in features and atmosphere as AA seems to be. I'm sure the game is being prepared to be "western friendly" where it may not be...I hope that ganking feature is the only thing that gets changed though. I don't understand why they often feel the need to completely rewrite quests or lore, I'd like to enjoy a game that keeps it's original lore.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    So each race only has 3 skin tones to pick from?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Bumer/goga

I'm actually glad that there are no customization options for a body. I never liked mini-people running around in Aion. Plus it was a good call to reduce face feature options so there will be less ugly chars. But I hope they will add more hairstyles. It's disappointing to hear that AA has same problem Perfect World has: char creation and game world char doesn't look the same. :(

I've never understood this outlook. Instead of having a wealth of options, you'd rather have a limited CC in order to reduce to risk of running into an ugly character? There are some pretty messed up looking characters in Aion, but for every freak there are countless "normal" looking characters. I either laughed at them or thought to myself, "damn, this guy is creepy looking." Then I moved on. I'm not playing their character, I'm playing mine. The more unique and personalized my character is, the more enjoyable my experience will be. I don't want to be a carbon-copy of everyone else.

I suppose you'd prefer it if you could place a restriction on what type of clothing people wear in real life, that way you'd never be offended. Then there are the people who claim too many options are pointless or overwhelming, as they don't want to worry about sliders for the bridge of their nose. Don't want to tweak your character to that extent? Fine, but don't prevent me from doing so. No one is forcing you to spend an hour in the CC. Variety is the spice of life.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Yes, Ferre has 9

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    I read this a few days ago and just haven't had the time to respond, I wanted to thank you OP, great info and I appreciate all the time you took to write it up and answer questions that really is top notch! Thnx again ;-)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• DakirasDakiras Member UncommonPosts: 3

Good review looking forward to playing this game. And no it wasent to long, but i guss thats because you put in some good screenshots between the text :)

Im in on the freezing if you find a good place Distopia.

• PinturicchioPinturicchio Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Im really thankful about your post. It made me want to play Archage even harder.

Thanks again :)
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I love resource gathering too. But more as an excuse to go exploring. Perhaps someone can answer this question.

Does Archeage use the (tired old, crappy, and incredibly boring) system of static nodes along with unchanging resource stats like WoW's? Or are resources and their locations/stats dynamic. Finding out only this much will probably tell me all I need to know about Archeage's crafting system.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Am I understanding this right? Basically you level up via themepark on rails questing and then once you reach max level, you have access to the sandbox elements of the game because there is essentially no progressive end-game content?
  • Originally posted by Pynda

I love resource gathering too. But more as an excuse to go exploring. Perhaps someone can answer this question.

Does Archeage use the (tired old, crappy, and incredibly boring) system of static nodes along with unchanging resource stats like WoW's? Or are resources and their locations/stats dynamic. Finding out only this much will probably tell me all I need to know about Archeage's crafting system.

Their crafting system so so dynamic that if you want pearls to make jewelry you can place clams out on the ocean floor when you scuba dive down there. Then come back to collect the pearls. 

From the chart, you can see that clams do best when 'farmed' in a certain climate. 

So, not only can you place a rather extensive amount of crops/livestock/underwater stuff etc - you have to keep track of what animals eat, which plants need to be watered when - and WHERE you place them.

Then there's the aspect of stealing. You leave footprints behind when you steal anything. Other players can come 'collect' the evidence. It will appear in their bags. If they choose to right click on it, it accumulates criminal points on you.

If you have enough criminal points, you are given the option of either going to jail or going to court.

If you decide to go to court, your 'sentence' could be reduced or extended - based on what the jury votes.

The jury consists of the first 5 players to accept a court invitation. You are all ported to the trial.

If you can convince/bribe/threaten them into voting you are innocent, then you are free to go. 

The time sentence ranges based on how many people vote you are guilty.

Within jail, you can do a number of activities - including playing soccer or killing rats for a chance at an escape key.

Once you escape, you are allowed ONE glider without controls to move it left or right so you must position it exactly as you want to go. It's by the ocean - so you must glide over the prison walls and then summon your boat. Sail away to freedom! 

If you go to court enough times, you become a pirate. It changes your faction and interaction with NPCs throughout the game world, but opens up new factions/quests/a pirate island etc. 

Crafting in ArcheAge = detailed as all hells. All of the above is the nutshell version. I won't even go into underwater treasure hunting.

• Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    Am I understanding this right? Basically you level up via themepark on rails questing and then once you reach max level, you have access to the sandbox elements of the game because there is essentially no progressive end-game content?

Not true at all. I've seen people building homes on youtube videos with their characters being around lvl 20-something. 

There is progressive end-game content, such as world bosses. The sandbox aspect of the game means there are no instanced raids. Honestly, I don't want them. Instanced PvE is SO dreadfully boring. I want to pvp my way to the right to take down a boss. 

They do, however, have instanced dungeons for the usual smaller groups. But anything epic in ArcheAge involves PvPvE elements. 

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Not sure about waiting to max level to sandbox it. The battle on sea with the kraken is on youtube, it looked pretty amazing. still with any MMO I will need to try it myself. But like any game i'm sure we will see dissenters it's a natural thing these days. As long as Trion is in charge of NA version I will be interested in seeing how the game turns out.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Here is a YT playlist of Character Creation

The 3 skin tones limits was like 2 years ago and pre-CBT3.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Most Excellent 'Review' :)

Can you craft boats?
    Can you actually use the boats for inventory transport or does AA use a magically deployed ah system?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Thanks for the preview. I think I will remove this list from my most hyped list. Seems to be a ThemePark at its core with some sandbox elements thrown in. Not the virtual world experience a lot of us are waiting for.
  • Originally posted by Nitth

Most Excellent 'Review' :)

Can you craft boats?
    Can you actually use the boats for inventory transport or does AA use a magically deployed ah system?

Yes, you can craft a variety of different boats.

Some designs drop off bosses. 

I know there are types of cargo ships so I'm assuming you need to physically navigate your goods to the other continents, but I'm not sure what the details are at all. Or what happens to your cargo if another player destroys your ship. Does it float to the bottom of the sea? Can the other players pick it up then?

Still looking for that information. I know that if you are carrying a backpack and another player kills you, they have access to whatever was in the bag. Perhaps it's the same for ships.