Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 of all time

12346»

Comments

• Aimee46Aimee46 Member Posts: 11

top 5:

1. gw1
    2. aion
    3. gw2
    4. tera
    5. aoc

Playing: GW2 & Tera.
    Played: Lotro, Lineage, Lineage2, GW1, WoW, CoHV, Tabula Rasa, AoC, Aion, Rift, Allods and several other f2p but of minor importance

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

1. AC1

2. UO

3. DAoC

4. Shadowbane

5. EQ1

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96

1. Ultima Online

2. Everquest

3. World of Warcraft

4. Guild Wars 2

Thats all i can think of, and GW2 barley makes the list.  

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

1) City of Heroes

2) Hellgate London

3) Age of Conan

4) SWG

5) Tabula Rasa

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

1. WoW

2. GW2

3. FFXI

I haven't played significant enough time in any other MMO to include them on a list.  I've played less than 2 months of Rift, Aion, WAR, and AoC, and I've beta tested many others.  From what I've played of each of these, I'd personally rank most of them above FFXI on my list, but like I said, still not enough time in them to make a complete assessment.  

FFXI was my first MMO and second longest-played.  

WoW is my longest played by far: about 6 years on and off, from 2004-2010, over which time I probably had an active subscription for about 65-70% of the time.  

GW2 easily has the potential to eventually surpass WoW for me.  Many things need to change still, but the foundation for the game is far better than vanilla WoW's in my opinion, and that kept me for 6 years.  If WoW didn't require a subscription, I'd probably still log in every now and then and then possibly get hooked again.  With GW2's b2p model, it will always keep me logging back in and, therefore, has the potential to keep me even longer than WoW did.  

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

1) EVE

2) Shadowbane

3) LOTRO(pre-free to play)

4) EQ2

5) City of Villains  

I would like to note that the bottom 3 would be way down on the list under a list of single player games.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I dont think its fair to judge older games against newer. First it was a different generation, different tech, different gameplay mechanics... So i'll be posting two top 5 lists. One will be of the golden era of MMOs which ended with WoW imo and the other will be Post Wow Era stuff.

Golden Era: 

1. EVE Online

2. SWG Pre-CU

3. Everquest 

4 DAoC

5. Ultima Online

Current Era:

1. WoW

2. GW2

3. Lotro

4. Rift

5. SWTOR

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

1. Lord of the Rings Online
    2. World of Warcraft
    3. Dark Age of Camelot
    4. City of Heroes

LotRO wins by a small margin due to the kinship (guild) that I was in.  Early WoW was so much fun but the community and guilds didn't match LotRO (pre f2p).  DaoC was the first MMORPG I spent a significant amount of time in -- I don't think I could grind levels today like I did back in the early days of DaoC, but there are good memories there.  Not a big PvPer today but I really enjoyed RvR and the loyalty to the side you chose (alliance vs horde doesn't even come close).  CoH (pre f2p) is for the many, many characters I created though I ruined the game for myself by making so many and redoing the early content over and over.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    1. SWG
    2. DAOC
    3. EVE
    4. Saga of Ryzom
    5. EQ-OA

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

1: SWG pre-curb

2: Planetside 2

3: EvE Online

4: Darkfall online

5:Face of Mankind

1&2: My first two are SOE games despite having boycotted them for many years until the release of PS2, it just goes to show they can make a decent game when they want. I'm currently playing PS2 now that the cheating has died down (not saying it's gone it never will be), the game is alot of fun to play in an outfit.

3:As for eve I left after they changed the war dec system because too many people were crying about being attacked in empire.

4: A great game with excellent pve and PVP opportunities, it was just the horrible grind that turned me off.

5: What a game, great idea with an excellent faction system and so much going on. Unfortunately there was only one dev running it from his basement in Berlin and a bunch of s**t GM's that were utterly corrupt to the majority of players detriment. The company which published the game seemed to have no idea what was going on or just didn't care. This game could have been one of the most popular MMORPGs of all time but it was just left to rot in the gutter.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

1. Ultima Online

2. Asheron's Call

3. Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE)

4. Eve Online

5. meh

For 5, there are dozens of game tied due to one or two outstanding mechanics or systems..unfortunately aside from those innovative systems the rest of the game tended to suck.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• spoononespoonone Member UncommonPosts: 40

1.  EQ

2. RO

3. Lineage 2

4. UO

• DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326

1- The Secret Wrld

2 - Lord of the Rings Online

3- Tabula Rasa

4 - Vanguard: Saga of Heroes 

That is it I guess.

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

Ragnarok Online

World of Warcraft

League of Legends

for now thats it :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Lets start counting
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Well, once again we have another Top MMORPG threaad :-D

1. WORLD OF WARCRAFT:

There are no exceptions to thisTOP PERFORMER. During its first two years World of Warcraft had over 22 milion subscriptions at one time. This title to this day has a strong following.

This title is also the only mmorpg to be the number 5 reason for divorce in the U.S. The highly addictive quality this game had in its initial years caused much havoc among our citizenry. Including leaving a spouse for another person who plays world of warcraft. Losing your job,home,wife from calling in too much, just to play WOW. These are just small things that a WOW player endured.

Because of WOW obesity incresed in most countries in the West. WOW is the only game to actually crush its competition litterally! I remember the EQII vs WOW thing from back in the day!

This is also the only MMORPG that my wife banned me from playing. Forthright,"ME or that game".

2. Dark Age of Camelot(DAOC)

This is the true grandfather of a pvp mmorpg. Or in DAOC's term Realm vs Realm or RVR. Other games claim to have pvp but none has shined so bright than during DAOC's first three years. With a large fanbase and unprecedented memories from ex-DAOC players. This game revolutionized pvp in a mmorpg as we know it!

During its high point it boasted 4.5 million players.  Those old DAOC players are for sure watching Camelot Unchained :-D

To this day developers still look at DAOC for ideas and implimentation of some things DAOC had going for it!

3. Everquest(EQ)

While others may claim being a mmorpg first before EQ. None of them offered the fulfillment, excitement, and fear than the GRANDFATHER of modern mmorpgs. Even after 15 years players still return to this title. With multiple expansions, depth and incredible characters,loot, and bosses. This title will always be in the top 5.

4. City of Heroes/Villians(COH)

While this title is no longer around. The memories and fun this game brought is bar none. Besides being the first fully implimented Super Hero/Villian mmorpg. It had some of the best character customizations of any title. Probably the best for its time! COH had a very strong and active fanbase during its peak. It was also one of the friendliest game communities one could ask for. Those things above is why COH/V is number 4.

5. Final Fantasy XI: While not big in the U.S. It is big in the rest of the world. This title has always had a huge fanbase. But then again you are talking the number one game title franchise of all time. What more can one ask for than to play Final Fantasy as a mmorpg. To this day Final Fantasy XI has a strong following. This was also one of the few cross-platform mmorpgs to come out during its peak. This title is truly deserving of being in the top 5.

Runnerups: Rift, Lord of the Rings Online, Star Wars the Old Republic and Star Wars Galaxies!

Hope you enjoyed!

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228

THREAD CLOSED!

1.World Of Warcraft ---90

2.Everquest--47

3.Dark Age Of Camelot-45

4.Star Wars Galaxies-37

5.Eve Online-32

6.Ultima Online-29

7.Guild Wars 2--27

8.Lord Of The Rings Online-25

9.Rift--21

10. Everquest 2-20

Thank you very much, if  i made some little mistakes sorry:)

• ptifouptifou Member UncommonPosts: 31

1- UO

2- Eve-Online

3- SWG (pre-CU)

4- DAOC

5- CoX's character creator

no 6th, 7th, etc...

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by zomard100

THREAD CLOSED!

1.World Of Warcraft ---90

2.Everquest--47

3.Dark Age Of Camelot-45

4.Star Wars Galaxies-37

5.Eve Online-32

6.Ultima Online-29

7.Guild Wars 2--27

8.Lord Of The Rings Online-25

9.Rift--21

10. Everquest 2-20

Thank you very much, if  i made some little mistakes sorry:)

I think this survey summed it up quite nicely. The top 5 all have a reason to be there. EQ the first massively played PVE game, DAoC the pinacle at the time of RvR, SWG I suppose before they wanted to make it a WOW clone and of course EVE On Line, niche in theme and design, but those who play it love it as it is the closest one can get to a player driven economy.

The latter half of the votes are mostly games with a strong following, but not nearly as popular as the first 5. UO because it was still a very niche market, GW2 is too still young and was launched as a non sub based game (the only one on that list), Lotro never made it into a second Azeroth despite its beautiful surroundings (probably due to the character animations and no factions), Rift as a WOW clone for those wanting more WoW ...and EQ2 as a testimony of "you can only have a megahit MMO once".

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The results are actually pretty realistic.  Go figure. lol 

Every one of those games belongs on a top 10 MMOs list. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Suprised coh and ps1 didn't make top 10 to be honest.