Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would the Fallout IP lend itself better or worse to the alleged DAoC 2 Mashup?

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Title Says it all..

Would the Fallout IP work better or worse instead of the Elder Scrolls IP for this alledged DAoC style game that Zenimax are trying to Make?

How Would you feel about the current surrounding 'issues' If it were a fallout game were talking about?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Not sure what you are talking about.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by waynejr2

Well, When zeniamx decided to make an mmorpg, They had 2 popular IP's to chose from: Elder scrolls and fallout....

I'm asking if they chose the fallout IP instead, How would you feel about how the current team planned to make it.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Fallout would be better as a FFA full loot PvP game or at least a game with open ganking an PK possible. open pvp, no area pvp.  not themeparked up with dungeons and phasing and stuff.(not saying i hate themeparks, just won't fit the IP well)

Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Fallout would be better as a FFA full loot PvP game or at least a game with open ganking an PK possible. open pvp, no area pvp.  not themeparked up with dungeons and phasing and stuff.(not saying i hate themeparks, just won't fit the IP well)

Do You think a 3 faction system could actually work tho? Say Enclave, NCR, Legion?

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

My thoughts are that IF TESO is a hit, they will probably make a Fallout MMO. All depends on how much cash they make on TESO.

Im looking forward to TESO right now. Not hyped, but its looking good. Even with all the things bein said about it on these forums.

Now you have me thinking of about a Fallout MMO...geeze, thanks. :P

Originally posted by Daxamar
    My thoughts are that IF TESO is a hit, they will probably make a Fallout MMO. All depends on how much cash they make on TESO.Im looking forward to TESO right now. Not hyped, but its looking good. Even with all the things bein said about it on these forums.Now you have me thinking of about a Fallout MMO...geeze, thanks. :P

Well, They actually Dropped the plans for the Fallout mmo that was in the works....

And years later came out with TESO.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by waynejr2

Well, When zeniamx decided to make an mmorpg, They had 2 popular IP's to chose from: Elder scrolls and fallout....

I'm asking if they chose the fallout IP instead, How would you feel about how the current team planned to make it.

Tough question for me.  Not sure if I really want either of them.   I personally would rather see original IPs.  IF I had to pick just one of them, TESO would be the pick.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Fallout wouldn't fit a mmo at all imo. It's hardly traversing an apocalyptic wasteland if you bump into hundreds of players.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Fallout wouldn't fit a mmo at all imo. It's hardly traversing an apocalyptic wasteland if you bump into hundreds of players.

Have you not played that fallout 3 mod that adds tons of people to the wasteland? Its very believable?

Fallen Earth Seems to of made a populated wasteland also, So imo i could be done.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

Do You think a 3 faction system could actually work tho? Say Enclave, NCR, Legion?

absolutely not. 

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    A fallout MMO would have to be a sandbox in order to get the feeling of it right.  Seeing a dozen people all running quest trains in a wasteland would not be acceptable.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I prefer the fantasy setting of ES. Fallout doesn't interest me.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Title Says it all..

Would the Fallout IP work better or worse instead of the Elder Scrolls IP for this alledged DAoC style game that Zenimax are trying to Make?

How Would you feel about the current surrounding 'issues' If it were a fallout game were talking about?

Yes, a thousand times yes.  I would've been perfectly fine with Fallout being skinned over DAoC2.  I would actually be excited to play that game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    IMO fallout would work as mmo the way Defiance and Firefall are heading instead of an actual mmorpg. I was never a fan of fallout single player so i would stay with TESO, but i would definitelly be intrigued by a fallout mmo. The more different to the single player the more interested i would be in a fallout mmo, but thats because i never liked Fallout (except for the open world and rpg elements which was good)

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    A Fallout MMO should be open world FFA, and super sandboxy. If the devs or carebears can't handle that it should just be left alone.
  • EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138

TESO is a good first step. Better to leave the Fallout IP alone until someone can do it right.

A legit Fallout MMO wouldn't be limited to 3 factions anyway.

It would also have be ridiculously large, seamless, and sandboxy as others have stated, in order prevent crowding in the post-apocalyptic wasteland. Something along the lines of all the Fallen Earth maps combined... multiplied by 3. Full looting and perhaps full death would also be something a Fallout MMO would need to stay true to itself. Of course this would require non-unique names (account based like CO and STO) so everyone could continuously make new characters. Survival needs and an FPS format would be required too, if they wanted to make it believable.

It would be like the DayZ of MMOs.

Maybe someone will pull it off one day... maybe...

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Originally posted by wordiz
    A Fallout MMO should be open world FFA, and super sandboxy. If the devs or carebears can't handle that it should just be left alone.

Here we go with the full-loot FFA PvP vs "carebears" debate again.  

So far, no MMO has done it in a way that creates a highly-profitable game.  Two fantasy games (DF, M:O) with a third one in beta are struggling to attract players.  One sci-fi game (Earthrise) tanked within months of launch.  It is safe to assume the style of game either can't be done right so that it attracts a healthy population (aka, very small market for such a game), or nobody has hit the mark.  My guess is the former.  With three attempts and a fourth one in limbo, the odds that a healthy market actually exists for a full-loot, FFA PvP game is near zero.

My personal problem with those types of games is that they bring out the worst people our planet has to offer.  A game is fun when it is a challenge, but when an end-game person goes on a noob killing-spree just for fun, it is the equivalent of someone bringing a gun into a school.  The person with the gun might be having fun, but the rest of us are just trying to not lose our hard-earned progress.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Fallout would work even worse than TES. At least TES isn't known for it nonlinear quests or morally questionable content.

Of course, Beth's FO3 had neither and people seemed to like it.

• Vorgarag109Vorgarag109 Member UncommonPosts: 14

IMO Fallout would make for a Way Worse DAoC 2 Mashup. 

Don't even know where to begin on why it shouldn't be done with 3 locked factions in a Apocolyptic Wasteland Usually Built Upon Player Choices. Specially with only 1 Race. Human. and how would a Class Based(Specialization) System even work in Fallout. Not to Mention a Fallout Game without much Player Choices just wouldn't seem right.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It would work out just fine if they did it right. A huge world like vanguard had would give lots of areas of wasteland with no one around for miles. 

Factions pvp and sandbox/theampark all come down to the quality of story and game mechanics not the IP.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I think the path that Bethesda has chosen is brilliant.