Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Battleframe Changes Incoming

Comments

• Shredder420Shredder420 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Alka_Setzer

I think most people just use "beta" loosely as a way to say it's still in heavy development AND testing. Most bugs are pretty much ironed out, gameplay is stable and functional, therefore saying it's in alpha I really don't feel is accurate at all.

If it is in heavy development, then it's not in Beta. Just telling you what the terms actually mean. When you hear about a Beta test, you're assuming that product will be out very shortly. In gaming terms that means 3-6 months.  Right now it is in a  pre-Alpha state. It's not a bad thing, it's just very misleading to call it a Beta. Beta definately DOES NOT mean heavy development. 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Shredder420
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Why isn't this released already ? Defiance is just about to release and well I probably going to throw my money that way.

Because its not ready yet.  Red5 is taking their time with this beta. Keep in mind that this IS a REAL beta. Not a demo to hype up word of mouth.  As things stand, I suspect it will be late 2013 or early 2014 before the game is in its near final form.

Gonna throw this out there because I have the seen the statement "this is a REAL beta" said about this and other games and I'm not sure everyone here knows what a Beta actually is.

Alpha: Feature complete. This means every feature that will be in the 1.0 shipping game is already functional. It's not pretty but you can do it all; PvE, PvP, Open World PvP, Crafting, housing, whatever else you got...until you got all of that, you aren't in Alpha state yet.

Beta: Content/Art complete. Art/mission fixes are allowed but to get something new in is usually a pretty big uphill battle. In Beta builds, everything should be getting fixed not implemented.

Close Beta Tests for Online elements: This is a more for stress tests and network/graphics card compatibility tests. You should not be adding new features in this version of beta, you should only be testing/fixing your current systems. If your current systems are proven to need major changes, you take it offline, change it, put up another closed Beta.

Open Beta: Let's make sure this can funtion for an extended period of time (1-6 month period without too much pain) 

tl;dr - if open world PvP is still to come, then its not in Closed Beta, it's pre-Alpha. 

From the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Alpha

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black box or gray box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.[2]

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. The exception to this is when the alpha is available publicly (such as a pre-order bonus), in which developers normally push for stability so that their testers can test properly. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete.

[edit]Beta

Beta (in other words prototype) (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporatingusability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

The users of a beta version are called beta testers. They are usually customers or prospective customers of the organization that develops the software, willing to test the software without charge, often receiving the final software free of charge or for a reduced price. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a previewprototypetechnical preview (TP), or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta—where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

[edit]Open and closed beta

Developers release either a closed beta or an open beta; closed beta versions are released to a restricted group of individuals for a user test by invitation, while open beta testers are from a larger group, or anyone interested. The testers report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version. Examples of a major public beta test are:

Open betas serve the dual purpose of demonstrating a product to potential consumers, and testing among an extremely wide user base likely to bring to light obscure errors that a much smaller testing team might not find.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    read the blog= feels very much like itll be GW2 pvp system...and thats not a bad thing!- sounds fair.
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

I think most people just use "beta" loosely as a way to say it's still in heavy development AND testing. Most bugs are pretty much ironed out, gameplay is stable and functional, therefore saying it's in alpha I really don't feel is accurate at all.

If it is in heavy development, then it's not in Beta. Just telling you what the terms actually mean. When you hear about a Beta test, you're assuming that product will be out very shortly. In gaming terms that means 3-6 months.  Right now it is in a  pre-Alpha state. It's not a bad thing, it's just very misleading to call it a Beta. Beta definately DOES NOT mean heavy development. 

Imo labeling it as a pre-alpha is even more misleading than labeling it a beta. Pre-alpha means it's almost not even functioning or playable, just a prototype/bare-bones idea of the finished product and Firefall is leagues beyond that. All the gameplay mechanics for the most part have the polish of a finished product. And again, stability is pretty much as stable as it's going to get, not even close to being in an Alpha state.

By heavy development I mean there is still a TON of content and features they want to add before slapping a "release" title on it and it should not be labeled as a product in alpha, much less pre-alpha, just because of that. If you're really going to be strict about trying to label it something it would have to fall somewhere between alpha and beta because it has aspects from both stages of the development cycle. It's just a million times easier simply saying it's in beta because it has the polish and feel of something that is truly in beta or even fully released. The only thing Firefall is currently lacking is content, but they also want to add more to the gameplay. If it DID have a large amount more content it could easily qualify as a released MMO in my opinion. But like I said they want to add more to the gameplay in general.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by nepulas
    defiance is a piece of crap ...

If played both,and no.. Defiance is not.  I will say I think Firefall has more potential though.  But Defiance  knows what it wants to be, so right now it's the better game.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Simply having new features added is in no way indicitive of a game being in a certain stage of development, the only difference here is that Red5 is more than willing to add huge features that are often in expansion packs for other game/MMOs while the game is in beta, and completely change how something works if it's not working out (ex: PvE gear in PvP).

Honestly the sweeping changes that red5 has made are very much alpha level changes.  I've been in plenty of alphas and closed betas, and you only get core mechanic changes like this in an alpha.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I don't think this is going to fix the games main problem: its quite franjly boring, because all u do is shoot npcs all day, no gear to collect, the quests suck, everything gear wise is handed to you once you hit the exp needed. I found the game a major letdown when i was in beta, I lost interest in it really fast because the game was just that boring. Even a korean grinder is alot more entertaining than firefall was, and thats pretty damned sad.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I don't think this is going to fix the games main problem: its quite franjly boring, because all u do is shoot npcs all day, no gear to collect, the quests suck, everything gear wise is handed to you once you hit the exp needed. I found the game a major letdown when i was in beta, I lost interest in it really fast because the game was just that boring. Even a korean grinder is alot more entertaining than firefall was, and thats pretty damned sad.

No shit...you joined beta where it clearly shows this is the first phase of many for pve and you think there isn't enough to do ? That's like joining an mmo beta where they've only added up to lvl 10 of 60  and saying this game needs more lvls. 10 gets boring.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

Still waiting for  increased PvE content.  I could care less about PvP; wish they focused on the aspects of the game that are rare in the MMORPG scene (actual MMOFPSRPG instead of standard PvP garbage like tons of publishing companies try to quote their game as).

The last game to actually be a real MMOFPS was Huxley, and that never really made it to the market in the west, which sucked as I kind of liked what I played of it.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by nepulas
    defiance is a piece of crap ...

I agree

• Satyriasis6Satyriasis6 Member Posts: 2

If anyone still has some beta keys left I could use them.

This seems like a fun game me my gf and a friend would love to try it out.

I have some DOTA keys if you need :)

Thanks in advance.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Love this game, so much fun killin bugs XD but yes it does need a bit more PvE content, and I have no doubt they have it on its way!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    would love a key if anyone has one going.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    These changes are indeed needed.. as of now i'm going with defiance over this because I really wanna see how this cross story development plays out with the tv series.. Gameplay wise, they both feel solid but with firefall feeling that much smoother... the only reason I can think of why development is taking so long on this game is budget and staff size.. Trion being who they are can devote more staff to projects..
  • lugisimolugisimo Member UncommonPosts: 7
    i played during the beta weekend and loved it. if anyone can help me out with a perminant beta key, that would be awesome.
  • wenom73mwenom73m Member UncommonPosts: 22
    yes i dream hello to everyone from the great beyond than just a good game, but all games with all the PvP system in this game as I found was disgusting, though I wish I were two IRC can enjoy the steep pvp if the game would have been 100 years old in my eyes .. more than 18 hours for someone who is already in this review would be appropriate du online. (Note) I know that I am in the testing phase from the other games because I believe it would do even more beautiful soul .... Best regards la Venom you get the idea
    yes i dream hello to everyone from the great beyond than just a good game, but all games with all the PvP system in this game as I found was disgusting, though I wish I were two IRC can enjoy the steep pvp if the game would have been 100 years old in my eyes .. more than 18 hours for someone who is already in this review would be appropriate du online. (Note) I know that I am in the testing phase from the other games because I believe it would do even more beautiful soul .... Best regards la Venom you get the idea
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Imo labeling it as a pre-alpha is even more misleading than labeling it a beta. Pre-alpha means it's almost not even functioning or playable, just a prototype/bare-bones idea of the finished product and Firefall is leagues beyond that. All the gameplay mechanics for the most part have the polish of a finished product. And again, stability is pretty much as stable as it's going to get, not even close to being in an Alpha state.

By heavy development I mean there is still a TON of content and features they want to add before slapping a "release" title on it and it should not be labeled as a product in alpha, much less pre-alpha, just because of that. If you're really going to be strict about trying to label it something it would have to fall somewhere between alpha and beta because it has aspects from both stages of the development cycle. It's just a million times easier simply saying it's in beta because it has the polish and feel of something that is truly in beta or even fully released. The only thing Firefall is currently lacking is content, but they also want to add more to the gameplay. If it DID have a large amount more content it could easily qualify as a released MMO in my opinion. But like I said they want to add more to the gameplay in general.

As much as I like Firefall, lets be honest here.  Red5 is still not any where near feature complete with Firefall.  They are still working on even such basics as how PvP and PvE interact (look at the recent separation).  They may end up doing something other than tiers as well. Not to mention the crafting system.

I don't consider that a Bad Thing(tm) . That means they are willing to take their time, and at least listen to their players, and adjust core elements of the game, to get the results they are looking for.  We should all be so lucky that other studios would take that approach.

But what they have in place at this point is promising. I've had VERY few client crashes, and the game play itself is tight, and allows skill to be one of the main factors.  I'm quite looking forward to what the game eventually becomes.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • CalunCalun Member Posts: 2
    i have some invites as well if anyone needs
  • GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I also have some beta keys if anyone wants one.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

In case those neglecting FireFall beta are doing it because it's beta and they don't want to restart at release.. there is not going to be any more XP/character wipes.  Characters existing now will carry into release.

It's on their forums from a few months ago.

Just throwing that in there for those who don't know.

set up at one party and the party was in power, so it s quite familiar le chat with myself, because I personally do not have a chat party in the event that I spent like 10 minutes to write a s .. I spoke to party until the party exceed the pantry dag?t?lar / G needs to do is super but there were a way more understandable written içersimde du .. + game does not have to press enter, and hardly needs to follow the writing
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by wenom73m
    set up at one party and the party was in power, so it s quite familiar le chat with myself, because I personally do not have a chat party in the event that I spent like 10 minutes to write a s .. I spoke to party until the party exceed the pantry dag?t?lar / G needs to do is super but there were a way more understandable written içersimde du .. + game does not have to press enter, and hardly needs to follow the writing

huh?

• saigem4saigem4 Member Posts: 1
    Playing this during teh time i had was too damn good (even tho i didnt know what the hell i was doing) if anyone could hook me up with a beta key it would be greatly appriciated lol i really want to play some more
  • deadline527deadline527 Member Posts: 38

I have 5 keys, i sent out 3 e-mails already to people who asked on this thread for keys. if you havent received a key just send me a PM with your e-mail and as long as I have them available I'll gladly send an invite. If you happen to get a key after you send me an e-mail from someone else, please let me know so I dont waste a beta key on someone who already has one :) thanks much.

By the way, I really enjoy firefall, I just wish they had loot drops instead of the crafting system. I always hated crafting in MMOs other than everquest. I cant wait for bigger events, and some of the features they have lined up should make the game a blast. Just remember, its beta, so dont expect it to be feature-full, but its definitely going in the right direction.