Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter Gameplay

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

This is from Gamescon with commentary that expains alot about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNMqSWF1aU

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Thanks for sharing.

Hm, visually it looks good, and I am a real fan of Faerun.

However, the action combat sounds like it would get a bit dull doing the same 3-4 attacks over and over through all the game. And... is there anything else but shooting mobs? Looks more like Diablo or something.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Elikal

Thanks for sharing.

However, the action combat sounds like it would get a bit dull doing the same 3-4 attacks over and over through all the game. And... is there anything else but shooting mobs? Looks more like Diablo or something.

I agree... but i'm sure it has skills.. afterall it is an mmo.. He stated that the "basic skills" were mapped to left and right click.. which would imply that there are more... how many more is left to be seen.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Thanks for sharing.

I tend to agree and the first thing that came to my mind was GW2 with it's limited attacks.  That got boring fast.  I'll give it a go though, they might pull it off.  /shrug.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    They are supposed to have dozens of skills and also different daily skills too.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

.. He stated that the "basic skills" were mapped to left and right click.. which would imply that there are more...

There seems to be some confusion here. Left right click is not skill but attacks.

In 4e you get powers (called spells for mages, prayers for clerics and tricks for rogue) which are basically various types of deadly attacks.

So for example, for a mage, the powers would be Magic Missile, Fireball, Slow, Sleep etc. while for cleric it will be Cure Moderate Wounds, "Some holy beam of light spell", Blade Barrier etc...

There are two at-will Powers which are low dps and you can use them anytime. For example, for a mage it can be magic missile, for fighter it can be simple attack, for cleric it can be cure light wounds etc. That was what he was talking about - Two At-Wills.

Regarding skills (Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery etc.) nothing has been revealed yet except snide comments by a few devs that "they should be there, shouldn't they?" or something.

I am guessing they do have skills in game but are not yet allowed to tell. So they laugh at us inside whenever we ask them.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Thanks for the link - hadn't seen this before.

Looks like a lot of fun!  Been looking forward to this for a while.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Bump!

Gamescon video.

Loads of great info here. And confirmation on open world PVP imageand arena PVP!!image (see 27:10 for this info).

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Mannish

old news

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• adkenneradkenner Member Posts: 18

Ive been reading about the game for a few days now, and the way Im interpreting it is that your 2 most basic attacks are mapped to your mouse buttons. I'm not sure if you can switch those out or not. 

Then your "skills" are mapped to Q, E, R, and maybe some other keys. There are sort of the standard MMO type hotbar skills that have cooldowns and such. Those can be swapped around since you will have tons of skills and only a few on your hotbar at a time. 

I agree it could get boring if you are only using the same 3-4 attacks all the time and are able to faceroll through damn near everything like the dev in the video. 

However, if they make the skills varied in their usefulness against certain mobs, and you have to think about your skills and swapping them out then it could be pretty fun. 

Also I hope that the Dev's toon is either overpowered because they don't want to show him dying, or that the game goes through some extrmeme balancing...because it looks WAY too easy. 

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Athene played the game, and he got in trouble very fast :)
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    It actually shows you a glowing trail to follow for every quest lol..  Hand holding continues to get worse with every MMO that comes out.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Latronus

Thanks for sharing.

I tend to agree and the first thing that came to my mind was GW2 with it's limited attacks.  That got boring fast.  I'll give it a go though, they might pull it off.  /shrug.

You are thinking of Tera not GW2. There is no class in Tera that has near as many skills as a GW2 class, and Tera's classes are limtied even more by sticking to the Holy Trinity, which GW2 is not handicapped by.

Anyway, the combat in Neverwinter looks like its masking Vindictus's combat which is the best action combat in the MMO genre.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It actually shows you a glowing trail to follow for every quest lol..  Hand holding continues to get worse with every MMO that comes out.

Its optional, like every other MMO that had that option.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

Tera's classes are limtied even more by sticking to the Holy Trinity, which GW2 is not handicapped by.

Anyway, the combat in Neverwinter looks like its masking Vindictus's combat which is the best action combat in the MMO genre.

Guild wars 2 handicap was that it had no holy trinity.

I think the combat looks awesome too, the #1 reason i will try it,  #2 reason is the Foundry.

When you remove holy trinity you create chaos :)

Nobody is very good at healing, tanking, etc

To each their own, I welcome the holy tinity in Neverwinter.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

Does this game have crafting? 

I wonder....

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

could be so much worse it could actually make your toon walk to the quest location by clicking on the quest icon on the map

but it doesn't

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    I think this should also be mentioned this gameplay is nearly a year old.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    "Nobody really wants to worry about where they gonna go next."

Um, okay...
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

You know it might have been done 7 months ago but that's still pretty recent in the view of things it's not one of those horrendous "preview" vidoes where they only explain how it looks not the functions and you really don't get any idea how the game works as a whole.

Thanks for posting this I have not seen a video with this much detail.

those that want more videos

The foundry

Gameplay

interviews

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Looks like Champions Online dressed in a fantasy setting...nooooo, I had such high hopes.

this video has a world map, and lots of other juicy info

it start with the old Neverwinter games

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/previews,18/neverwinter,68736.html

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Mannish

thanks for the video. Nice gameplay ive been looking forward to the control wizard since they first announced it. But that audience is hell boring.... were they afraid to ask questions?..... pffff. They were all sitting there like muted robots

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

I chuckled at the golden quest trail. Not because I am against or for glowing quest trails as long as it is optional, but because there was no need for it. It really looked pretty discernably linear to me.

I don't know how I feel bout the whole 'console action rpg' thing though. That doesn't sound very D&D to me...but I'm willing to give it a chance in the interest of trying not to be too presumptuous in my prejudging.