Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck on CPU choice for budget rig.

KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58

Hey guys, its me again and ive made many topics asking what cpu to get. But after doing some research, ive finally come to a choice between 4 amd FX cpu's.

http://www.ebuyer.com/409191-amd-fx-6300-3-5ghz-socket-am3-14mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-fd6300wmhkbox

http://www.ebuyer.com/350194-amd-bulldozer-fx-6-6200-black-edition-3-8ghz-socket-am3-8mb-l3-cache-fd6200frgubox

http://www.ebuyer.com/287682-amd-fx-6-6100-black-edition-6-core-3-3ghz-socket-am3-8mb-l3-fd6100wmgusbx#

The 6300 priced at £103

6200 £100

And the 6100 £84

Motherboard i will be pairing with: 

http://www.ebuyer.com/349910-gigabyte-ga-970a-ds3-socket-am3-7-1-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-970a-ds3

So i just need to know the difference of them all in performance and you guys could maybe help me save a few quid. I would also want to be overclocking to 4Ghz so which any one can do that easier would be good. thank you guys!

Comments

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

You should really go Intel instead.

http://www.ebuyer.com/254978-intel-core-i3-2120-3-3ghz-socket-1155-3mb-l3-cache-retail-boxed-bx80623i32120

Intel Core i3 @ 3.3GHz for £88.70

Edit: I don't know if it's Google Chrome or mmorpg.com who doesn't let me hotlink so sorry about that.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The 6300

The 6100 is bad, its actually slower on games than the 4100 and high end phenom 2s.

The 6300 is the new piledriver core and is plenty good enough. It benches the same as an I5-2400 only its unlocked and you can clock it if you wish. Which is plenty good for any game, providing your gpu is fast enough.

Don't know about the 6200, but its a bulldozer core like the 6100 so not much cop.

You don't need to go Intel. If we were talking the old bulldozer cores I would say yeah get Intel, bit the piledriver are competative mid range chips.

You can play every current game on max settings with a 6300, your limiting factor will be your graphics card.

The motherboard you picked is fine. You will need to upgrade the bios though.
    There us a reason to get Intel though, and that's if you plan to upgrade the cpu in a few years time (although that's a gamble as Intel could be on a new socket by then too)
    Oh I see queen recommended an i3. No I would get the 6300 instead its a much faster chip than an i3.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh I see queen recommended an i3. No I would get the 6300 instead its a much faster chip than an i3.

Don't tell lies on the internet.

The Intel Core i3 is the faster one.

• Brooksy-BoyBrooksy-Boy Member Posts: 2

No he shouldnt go intel at all. Fanboys are gonna love this post.

I use intel myself but also use AMD in my other PC's and from the choices YOU have made for your budget i would defo go with the 6300 piledriver chip, easily overclockable to 4GHZ, but you will need a new air cooler as the stock is pants. (with AMD i would always buy new coolers anyway cause of the temp these chips can get too).

Motherboard is also ok i have one of these and it does the job pretty well.

If you can stretch a little more and want to stay AMD you really would be doing yourself a favour to look at the 8350. That chip is really, really good and well worth saving for another couple of weeks maybe ? It keeps up with Intels i5 and i7 chips and also beats them sometimes where GAMING is concerned, but really its down to your budget and how long you want your build to last before upgrading again.

Goodluck in your build :)

• KaraminalKaraminal Member Posts: 58
    The 6300

The 6100 is bad, its actually slower on games than the 4100 and high end phenom 2s.

The 6300 is the new piledriver core and is plenty good enough. It benches the same as an I5-2400 only its unlocked and you can clock it if you wish. Which is plenty good for any game, providing your gpu is fast enough.

Don't know about the 6200, but its a bulldozer core like the 6100 so not much cop.

You don't need to go Intel. If we were talking the old bulldozer cores I would say yeah get Intel, bit the piledriver are competative mid range chips.

You can play every current game on max settings with a 6300, your limiting factor will be your graphics card.

The motherboard you picked is fine. You will need to upgrade the bios though.

Okay thank you very much then :)

And what do you mean by upgrading the bios?

• Brooksy-BoyBrooksy-Boy Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Originally posted by Brooksy-Boy

I use intel myself but also use AMD in my other PC's and from the choices YOU have made for your budget i would defo go with the 6300 piledriver chip, easily overclockable to 4GHZ, but you will need a new air cooler as the stock is pants. (with AMD i would always buy new coolers anyway cause of the temp these chips can get too).

If you can stretch a little more and want to stay AMD you really would be doing yourself a favour to look at the 8350. That chip is really, really good and well worth saving for another couple of weeks maybe ? It keeps up with Intels i5 and i7 chips and also beats them sometimes where GAMING is concerned, but really its down to your budget and how long you want your build to last before upgrading again.

[mod edit]

No not at all.

Please check this video if you can save a little more fpr the 8350 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyT-pgl1vZ4

• Deerhuntah60Deerhuntah60 Member Posts: 10
    Dancing queen is purely biased. AMD vs Intel on a budget build AMD is far better bang for your buck. Just go to tomshardware or do alot of other searches comparing AMD and Intel counterparts in comparison for the same dollar amount and all the results show the same.
    Originally posted by Brooksy-Boy

[mod edit]

Should i be taking this kind of abuse just because i think AMD is better for me because of my budget?

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Karaminal

Should i be taking this kind of abuse just because i think AMD is better for me because of my budget?

Just ignore it.

ShakyMo and Brooksy-boy have both given you sound advice. At present (depending on it's planned use) intel is generally the way to go if you are spending £160+ and upwards for the 3570K and higher but that's not your budget. i3's used to be the mid range chips to go for but that was when all AMD had to offer was Bulldozer which quite frankly was a complete failure. Now they have Piledriver and i'd buy a 6300 over an i3 any day, it's not bad for gaming and if you do other things like video encoding it can be faster than an i5 2500k.

By upgrading the bios. With your motherboard you will get a dvd with some software on it. One of which is a bios upgrade tool.

After installing windows make a backup.
    Then install the bios upgrade software on the dvd and run that.
    It will then upgrade your bios over the internet.

The bios on the motherboard by default is a bulldozer bios, so its well worth upgrading to a newer version to take advantage of the piledriver architecture.

It doesn't cost anything money wise.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Get the 6300 for sure. And yes it is better than an I3, anyone who says different is an intel fanboy/girl. I run intel I5. If you can afford to go intel i5 or i7 then sure, if not get the 6300 and you will be just fine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Definitely don't get an FX-6200.  It's essentially the same price as an FX-6300, and the basic idea of the FX-6200 is that the "stock" speed overclocks the chip nearly as far as it will go.  They have the same max turbo boost clock speed, and the FX-6300 is the newer Piledriver cores that will perform better at a given clock speed than the older Bulldozer cores.

If you really, really, really want to save money, you could justify getting an FX-6100.  But don't plan on overclocking it.  Bulldozer cores are power hogs, and you're looking at a budget motherboard that really isn't built to feed a ton of power to the CPU.  The FX-6300 will use considerably less power at stock speeds, so you could give it a modest overclock without using any more power than the FX-6100 or FX-6200 will use at stock speeds.

Don't tell lies on the internet.

The Intel Core i3 is the faster one.

A Core i3-2120 might be a little bit faster than an FX-6300 in single-threaded performance at stock speeds.  But if you can push three cores, the FX-6300 will likely win, and if you can push four, the FX-6300 will win handily.  And if you can push all six cores?  Well, the FX-6300 has six, and the Core i3-2120 only has two, so the real question is whether or not the FX-6300 will double the performance of the Core i3-2120.

And that's all at stock speeds.  The FX-6300 can also be overclocked, though don't get carried away with that on that motherboard.  The Core i3-2120 won't let you overclock it at all.  The Core i3-2120 is on the verge of being obsolete already, so you could pick up a new game reasonably soon where two cores just isn't enough anymore.  The FX-6300 will last you for years to come, as it's ready for a future in which games that need a lot of CPU power get it by using a lot of CPU cores.

The Core i3-2120 isn't just a Core i3 processor.  It's an older Sandy Bridge processor, too.  So it's not even a recent Core i3.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Definitely don't get an FX-6200.  It's essentially the same price as an FX-6300, and the basic idea of the FX-6200 is that the "stock" speed overclocks the chip nearly as far as it will go.  They have the same max turbo boost clock speed, and the FX-6300 is the newer Piledriver cores that will perform better at a given clock speed than the older Bulldozer cores.

If you really, really, really want to save money, you could justify getting an FX-6100.  But don't plan on overclocking it.  Bulldozer cores are power hogs, and you're looking at a budget motherboard that really isn't built to feed a ton of power to the CPU.  The FX-6300 will use considerably less power at stock speeds, so you could give it a modest overclock without using any more power than the FX-6100 or FX-6200 will use at stock speeds.

Okay say if i were to get the 6100 what speeds could i overclock with this motherboard:http://www.ebuyer.com/436858-biostar-ta970-socket-am3-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ta970 ?

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

AMD-8350

Google some tests, you all gonna be shocked by the results.

Don't get the 6100 it is really really shit. Get the 6300 your paying like £10 more for something that's much much better. 6100 will struggle on some games like planetside 2, 6300 won't.
    Originally posted by Karaminal
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Okay say if i were to get the 6100 what speeds could i overclock with this motherboard:http://www.ebuyer.com/436858-biostar-ta970-socket-am3-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ta970 ?

If you get a very cheap motherboard from a cheap junk brand, then I'd say that overclocking at all is a bad idea.  If you can get it to work right at stock speeds, fine, but don't press your luck.

You've now been asking about parts since last December.  Prices constantly change, so even if you found some great deals a few weeks ago, they might not be good deals any more after your dithering.  At some point, you have to make a decision and buy it.

My recommendation would be to get an FX-6300 together with an AMD 970 chipset motherboard from a decent brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or AsRock) if you're willing to pay that, and to drop down to an A10-5800K with integrated graphics and no discrete video card if you're looking to save money.

Yeah stick with original gigabyte motherboard you posted.
    Although you won't need to overclock a 6300 or 83xx anyway.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Try to go for the FX 8350 Vishera and if you cant get that one just get the Phenom II X4 965 for now and upgrade to the FX 8350 Vishera when you can.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284