Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Battleframe Changes Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a new post on the Firefall site, the team lays out plans to make significant changes to the battleframe system. The issue at hand is the difficulty in balancing battleframes in both PvE and PvP and how the team aims to solve it. 

Create Balanced “Regulation” PvP Gear 

To solve the crafted gear problem, we’re creating “regulation” versions of everything that will automatically be equipped when you enter a PvP instance.  It’s important to note that in the open world, which includes future open world PvP, you will be wearing your unlocked/crafted gear.  We’re strictly talking about instanced PvP when we refer to “regulation” gear.  In the world of Firefall, “Holmgang” is the competitive sport that the battleframes engage in, so it is conceptually fitting that only regulation gear is allowed.  This will be even more pertinent in our upcoming competitive game modes, as both in the game and out of game, they are treated as a sport.

Read the full post on the Firefall site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

Neat, now give me a beta key or open this game to the public already.... sheesh

i see adds all over the internet saying free 2 play, play now!! go to website and it asks to register for a beta key.... *sigh*

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Lentech

i see adds all over the internet saying free 2 play, play now!! go to website and it asks to register for a beta key.... *sigh*

Give me your email and I'll invite you :P

• Ace328Ace328 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I have had access to this game for a long time, it has gone through many changes but I havent been playing alot in the past few months. Anyway, I have 5 beta keys at the moment , send me email and I will hook the first 5 up.

UPDATE: 2/3  All out of keys for this round will be back with more once I get them.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

It's humerous because all you've ever had to do is ask.  People are more than willing to give out keys.

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Draemos

It's humerous because all you've ever had to do is ask.  People are more than willing to give out keys.

Yeah, pretty much everyone that's in the beta is willing to give one away. We get 5 for just being in it, lol.

On the topic of these new changes, they look good, and I can't wait to check out how they work when they patch them in.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Why isn't this released already ? Defiance is just about to release and well I probably going to throw my money that way.
  • nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    defiance is a piece of crap ...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Why isn't this released already ? Defiance is just about to release and well I probably going to throw my money that way.

Hasn't been released yet because it's no where near finished, lol. At the moment there isn't any content other than a few story missions, PvP, and wandering the world for Thumping. It's stil fun as hell, though, and I can't wait until they add the "Chosen can take an entire shard" thing.

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218

i still don t know why this game needs pve , when i was supposed to be a competive esport shooter...

same mistake like they did in global agenda...

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by nepulas

i still don t know why this game needs pve , when i was supposed to be a competive esport shooter...

same mistake like they did in global agenda...

I'm glad Firefall has PvE. If it was strictly PvP, it would be just like the tons of online FPS (match-based/lobby-based) games out there.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    The PvE aspect is hardly a fail. It definately doesn't feel tacked on as in GA.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The PvE in FireFall was so much fun, well the little it had. But I lost my old account's password and email. Can someone send me a beta key if they don't mind?

Smile

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

oh ive asked all over the place haha

now to sit and hit refresh while i wait for Sarariels email haha.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Because its not ready yet.  Red5 is taking their time with this beta. Keep in mind that this IS a REAL beta. Not a demo to hype up word of mouth.  As things stand, I suspect it will be late 2013 or early 2014 before the game is in its near final form.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    The PvE in FireFall was so much fun, well the little it had. But I lost my old account's password and email. Can someone send me a beta key if they don't mind?

pm me your email if you still need one

The pvp changes for firefall are much needed, good call by r5.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ill be playing Defiance while Red 5 studios take their time to make an awesome game whenever they decide its ready for release. One buy 2 play, the other free to play. Cant ask for anything more ;)

• LollipopkingLollipopking Member Posts: 3
    I see a few people that have extra Beta keys and I was wondering if anyone would care to spare me one. I loved the fast pace combat when I got a chance to play over the open beta weekend just recently.
  • bilstefkelbilstefkel Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Ok guys add me to the list of people wanting a beta invite!:)
  • Ace328Ace328 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by bilstefkel
    Ok guys add me to the list of people wanting a beta invite!:)

The way to get Firefall invites is by e-mail only, If you message me your e-mail I will send you one.

• LollipopkingLollipopking Member Posts: 3

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    yeah at the current rate of progress this game will be fully realized when the graphics are dates.........seems line only 2 people are working on it
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

Getting a beta key is extremely easy, look in the offtopic section of their forums since people constantly give them out or just participate on the forums, act nice, and eventually someone will give you one.

As for the actual changes, it is probably the best solution they could have come up with in my opinion. The instanced PvP, which is the esport part of Firefall, will have "regulation" gear so people who spent hundreds of hours in PvE grinding for amazing resources don't get large gear advantages over the truly skilled players/teams.

But the open world PvP will not be regulated so you will retain your crafted gear. It is literally the best of both worlds and I feel like it caters to all three types of players equally and in the best possible way, something I'm sure many developers wouldn't have thought to do and come up with, much less implement it effectively.

Right now there's not info on open world PvP and how it will be implemented. I'm guessing it will mostly be armies fighting against each other but there is literally no information yet.

• Shredder420Shredder420 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Because its not ready yet.  Red5 is taking their time with this beta. Keep in mind that this IS a REAL beta. Not a demo to hype up word of mouth.  As things stand, I suspect it will be late 2013 or early 2014 before the game is in its near final form.

Gonna throw this out there because I have the seen the statement "this is a REAL beta" said about this and other games and I'm not sure everyone here knows what a Beta actually is.

Alpha: Feature complete. This means every feature that will be in the 1.0 shipping game is already functional. It's not pretty but you can do it all; PvE, PvP, Open World PvP, Crafting, housing, whatever else you got...until you got all of that, you aren't in Alpha state yet.

Beta: Content/Art complete. Art/mission fixes are allowed but to get something new in is usually a pretty big uphill battle. In Beta builds, everything should be getting fixed not implemented.

Close Beta Tests for Online elements: This is a more for stress tests and network/graphics card compatibility tests. You should not be adding new features in this version of beta, you should only be testing/fixing your current systems. If your current systems are proven to need major changes, you take it offline, change it, put up another closed Beta.

Open Beta: Let's make sure this can funtion for an extended period of time (1-6 month period without too much pain) 

tl;dr - if open world PvP is still to come, then its not in Closed Beta, it's pre-Alpha. 

I think most people just use "beta" loosely as a way to say it's still in heavy development AND testing. Most bugs are pretty much ironed out, gameplay is stable and functional, therefore saying it's in alpha I really don't feel is accurate at all.

Simply having new features added is in no way indicitive of a game being in a certain stage of development, the only difference here is that Red5 is more than willing to add huge features that are often in expansion packs for other game/MMOs while the game is in beta, and completely change how something works if it's not working out (ex: PvE gear in PvP).