Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swg..

2»

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Honestly didnt mind the NGE so much. Sure it killed some professions i loved, but the core mechanics in what i liked werent all that bad. Still a good game before and after.

Do wish they would have made SWG F2P grrrrr.......I play now but not with my 8 year old vets :/

• HexcaliberHexcaliber Member UncommonPosts: 171

Heh, at one point I had three active subs to SWG to support my guild and its city, had near 200 active members before the NGE, and overnight it became a ghost town, a damn shame it’s gone.

In response to the Eve comments. EVE is completely unlike SWG, I have played off and on since Beta and while EVE is adding content it doesn’t have nearly the same depth. This myth about a steep learning curve is just that, if you are challenged by EVE you are probably challenged by every game you play. It’s cold and sterile by comparison, it is fun if you like pvp, but that’s its primary focus, be it small roaming gangs, gate ganks, piracy, to large scale alliance warfare, but it’s all pvp in spaceships with no character. Crafting is largly monotonous, churning out identical copies of the same crap day after day with no player interaction once you set the factory slot on its way, and no chance to produce better gear than the next guy. As a game it has its place but its nothing like SWG.

If anyone is interested work continues on the SWG emu, and while progress is slow it is a playable game with all the old professions now working as they should. Creature spawns are toned down to reduce server load, which is unfortunate, but it is playable, they have even sorted out random resource spawns and most of the pre cu crafting is as it was. There is a server cap of 3000 and is always near full.

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Onomas

Honestly didnt mind the NGE so much. Sure it killed some professions i loved, but the core mechanics in what i liked werent all that bad. Still a good game before and after.

Do wish they would have made SWG F2P grrrrr.......I play now but not with my 8 year old vets :/

I couldn't have said it better myself. I ended up really liking the NGE. The devs toward the last days were amazing. They took the NGE mess and made the game rally nice. The Beastmaster was one of the most complex systems that I have ever tried. If you wanted a perfect combat pet, you had to do some serious work,

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

Amen to you OP!

If The Repopulation is even close to what SWG was, I'll be one happy man.

Nothing seen so far indicates that it will be, it may end up being a good enough game eventually, but, its not a game i'm looking at any more, and i've been searching for a SWG replacement for a long long time. image

Almost everything I read about it compares aspects of it to SWG.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Yeah, if only there was a way to play it still..

Anyway, it's one game I never got into.  Was too busy with the others.  I see that as a blessing now.  It's not easy when a game you love gets put down.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Hexcaliber Crafting is largly monotonous, churning out identical copies of the same crap day after day with no player interaction once you set the factory slot on its way,

try building supercapitals in 0.0 secretly and alone.

EVE rocks as a sandbox game, and yes, you can play PVE and do your own PVE stuff outside of PVP, but no, you can't compare it to SWG.

I love EVE, I loved SWG when it was released till the point I found out SOE only cared about the $$$ solely and completely ignored the playerbase and they got served for it rightly.....however, it was a blast to play it till they pushed 99% of the playerbase on the jedi powergrind.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

It was a great MMO that needed another year in beta. it got rushed to compete with WOW. in the end even those vets left the game left in a massive exodus to World of Warcraft to spite sony for the combat upgrade. It's was the boost that made WOW the maaasive fluke it has been all these years.

I'm still holding out my verdict for the repopulation. They have one guy who's a coder that loved SWG but the main guy never played SWG, and is a everquest fan. so until they allow everyone to be able to be off duty and are allowed to travel without being flagged in certain zones, it will be just another niche hybrid. not saying they won't do well, but they really need to make all the game accesible without having to be flagged for PVP if you cross into someones contested territory. I could be dead wrong on my information but it seems thats the way it's going to play out.

If indies are going to ever be able to compete with the bigboys they need to muzzle that one coder, who is obsssed with making the MMO FFA PVP full loot.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Phry
    Amen to you OP! If The Repopulation is even close to what SWG was, I'll be one happy man.

Nothing seen so far indicates that it will be, it may end up being a good enough game eventually, but, its not a game i'm looking at any more, and i've been searching for a SWG replacement for a long long time. image

Almost everything I read about it compares aspects of it to SWG.

I will believe it when I see and play it. Until then, it is more hype for an unreleased game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

SWG did indeed get some things really right, particularly player made stuff and player owned stores.

It sadly lacked some other parts (or the game would still be running with a good population) but I hope someone takes all the good parts and put them into a new game. EQ Next for example...

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Stimz

I miss alot of things from SWG, it was probably my favrite MMO  I had played... havnt found a substitue yet...

1. I miss the Citys... The player citys, How you could find them on almost any planet, and go into almost any building.

These were awesome. I remember running behind Bestine and stumbling upon a level 4 city with statues and everything. Then a big title came up on screen saying "CITY OF AZURE" and the mayor was there to welcome me in. Thanks to him I ended up joining a quild and understanding the professions more.  That family of Twiliks was the biggest thing I missed when the NGE destroyed the game. 

2.I miss Space. Even thought i personally didnt do much space combat, i still miss it, just because i havnt seen anything like it yet. being free roam, yet beign able to hop outa youyr seat and decorate your ship( some of them anyway.) it was jsut perfect.

I didn't do it much either, but it was a REAL expansion to the game and a lot of players liked it. 

3. Agian, housing, i miss sitting for hours trying to make my multiple houses look perfect, then comign in a week later, and changing everything agian. It was probably whati enjoyed most in the game.

I didn't mess with this much, but I did appreciate a well built city.  You could tell by the various cities who the real building designers of the game were. Not only outside by inside. I'd see things displayed that I hadn't seen before. 

5. As the population wound down, I miss just sitting the whole day in mos eisley talking to people. Eventually you knew everyone that spent time there, and everyone was always there, chatting it up. I know, for some people that is boring, but i loved it.

6. I even miss hte crafting. Ever since i played SWG, i have tried crafting in every game i have gone to, and SWG by far had the best crafting/collection system that i have tried. in my opinion anyway, I loved it.

7. Classes. I miss the classes so much, i know, they wherent that amazing, but just being able to switch them whenever i watned for a small fee?( though i had gotten it pretty high over hte years) one week I would be a smuggler, the next,  Maybe i felt like hunting down some bountys, so i could switch, It was amazing.

The classes would have been better had SOE spent the time needed to fix them. It was a good design concept that wasn't allowed to flourish. 

Im sure there is more, it was my favrite game, and I miss it with every game that comes out. I know it wasnt the game for everyone, but for me,  it was perfect.

I miss Kashyyk. A lot of the old schoolers didn't like it because it was the first planet in game with instances and not being allowed to go where you want.  But I thought the planet was gorgeous and since it was the first real infusion of questing for the game I ate it up. 

I loved Kashyyyk too. I used to hunt veractyl there a lot. The only thing I didn't like about Kashyyyk was the falling through the world bug there.

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Unofficial Servers
    • Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.

Please respect the house rules on Unofficial Servers.  Thanks.

Originally posted by Surfrider

Unofficial Servers Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.

In the case of SWG however, since the game is closed, it "costs" the publisher/developer nothing (as no one can pay the publisher to play it, even if they wanted to), and as original copies of the game disks are required to theoretically play on a theoretically emulated server, that falls under the "fair use" doctrine as applies to physical media, and is legal. So in this particular case, I don't see the beef, aside from it being against the blanket rule at this site.
  • SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Correct; as you stated Burntvet, the issue is simply a matter of respecting the house rules.  Anyone interested in litigating the matter, please email Mike at [email protected].

Have a great weekend, and remember to cheer for the Ravens!

and remember to cheer for the Ravens!

Will do! image

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Unofficial Servers
    • Discussing or advertising unofficial servers or emulators for MMOs is not permitted on the MMORPG.com forums. These servers are against the Terms of Service of the original game, and violate the intellectual propriety rights of the game's publisher and developer.

Yet MMORPG produced an article recently about a free shard of Ultimate Online, a currently active game.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    In most points you are right but pvp was the main reason why people left swg. It was most laggy  and unpolished combat ever made in one mmo. I had only Star Wars feeling on Tatooine all other planets didn't gave me that feeling
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by zomard100
    In most points you are right but pvp was the main reason why people left swg. It was most laggy  and unpolished combat ever made in one mmo. I had only Star Wars feeling on Tatooine all other planets didn't gave me that feeling

Naboo didn't give you that feeling? I used to love the music that would play when you wandered that planet. Plus you got to shoot gungans.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Naboo didn't give you that feeling? I used to love the music that would play when you wandered that planet. Plus you got to shoot gungans.

Not as good as going on an ewok rampage on Endor... stupid Ewoks. And what's even more funny is that in the pre-CU times the ewoks were TOUGH. Kill you just for your shoes....
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Not as good as going on an ewok rampage on Endor... stupid Ewoks. And what's even more funny is that in the pre-CU times the ewoks were TOUGH. Kill you just for your shoes....

Remember when back in the day a silly womp rat or toad could kick your butt? Good times. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

Remember how tough Tuskan Raiders were?

So freakin EPIC...