Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Western devs bragging about what koreans already done

Every time a new western mmo comes out they would brag that its innovative and new, 

but makes no mention that koreans have been doing it for years.. a full blown console level real time action game like tera has been around forever and nothing in the west has come close in terms of gameplay and style of action..

yet games like guildwars and ESO start bragging about its dated combat..  I remember SWTOR bragging the crap out of its amazing innovative combat system.. when you actually see the game its the same point and click crap...

Why dont they look at the competition and see that they are inferior.. look at a kiddy mmo like dragon nest and watch a pvp battle and tell me what in the west matches that? its real time action with every action conducted by the crosshair aiming.. no auto aim crap....

Do western devs need a reality check? they are way behind in innovation/ style/ gamplay.. sure theres shitty korean games but there are amazing ones and they outnumber western games by alot

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

1. Tera's combat sucks, its a watered down version of Vindictus's REAL action combat which was FASTER...who calls being rooted while casting magic and a hotkeyed dodge skill, ACTION? Just because it isnt tab targetting? lol. Also, that game did not introduce anything NEW to the market.

2. Guild Wars 2 has far more "action" in its combat by freeing casters to move and making dodge a non-skilled ability...and they are doing it while giving far more skills to use where as Tera has vastly limited character classes along with combat that is paced the same as other MMOs.

3. Yes, Western game makers are getting a dose in reality now...that is why almost all of them are admitting F2P and B2P are the future, because they finally looked at why most Korean companies are making more money then they are, and have a larger playerbase.

4. Crosshair aiming does not = action. Fast paced = action.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by jtcgs

1. Tera's combat sucks, its a watered down version of Vindictus's REAL action combat which was FASTER...who calls being rooted while casting magic and a hotkeyed dodge skill, ACTION? Just because it isnt tab targetting? lol. Also, that game did not introduce anything NEW to the market.

2. Guild Wars 2 has far more "action" in its combat by freeing casters to move and making dodge a non-skilled ability...and they are doing it while giving far more skills to use where as Tera has vastly limited character classes along with combat that is paced the same as other MMOs.

3. Yes, Western game makers are getting a dose in reality now...that is why almost all of them are admitting F2P and B2P are the future, because they finally looked at why most Korean companies are making more money then they are, and have a larger playerbase.

guildwars is a click and auto aim game, no way around it, tera is action with real time blocks and dodge.. [mod edit]

ps. i used tera as an example, vindictus is an even older game thats been using real time action.. that is ALSO KOREAN 

and that was my point

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dwarflordking

guildwars is a click and auto aim game, no way around it, tera is action with real time blocks and dodge.. are you blind?

ps. i used tera as an example, vindictus is an even older game thats been using real time action.. that is ALSO KOREAN 

and that was my point

Can you link to the article where the western dev was bragging about one of the points you are mentioning so we have some context as to what this is about?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Infantry had action combat in an online game way back in the last millennium.  It's not new, though it is becoming a lot more common in MMORPGs lately.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

disagree, Tera's combat is far better than Vindictus. oh well to each his own.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Every time a new western mmo comes out they would brag that its innovative and new, 

but makes no mention that koreans have been doing it for years.. a full blown console level real time action game like tera has been around forever and nothing in the west has come close in terms of gameplay and style of action..

yet games like guildwars and ESO start bragging about its dated combat..  I remember SWTOR bragging the crap out of its amazing innovative combat system.. when you actually see the game its the same point and click crap...

Why dont they look at the competition and see that they are inferior.. look at a kiddy mmo like dragon nest and watch a pvp battle and tell me what in the west matches that? its real time action with every action conducted by the crosshair aiming.. no auto aim crap....

Do western devs need a reality check? they are way behind in innovation/ style/ gamplay.. sure theres shitty korean games but there are amazing ones and they outnumber western games by alot

As someone already asked, where is your supposed link to this? Blowing air our of your rear end does not do anyone any good, now does it?

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

guildwars is a click and auto aim game, no way around it, tera is action with real time blocks and dodge.. are you blind?

and that was my point

Your point is all about your own opinion, nothing more. We're still waiting for that link :)

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Robokapp

the player - character relationship is a concept you seem to have no knowledge of.

Why must the player aim when the character is the one on the battlefield ?

You just summed up what is wrong with all modern MMORPGs. The invasion of the "I'm a pro gamer with skillz!" set that have slowly turned virtual worlds into virtual arenas, completely removing the RPG aspect. Here's hoping the resurgence of the sandbox will herald the return of character-driven play.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Zod agrees, however Vindictus combat is more enjoyable...

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

As long as the customer based is getting worked up about 'innovation" expect companies to use the term to sucker you into purchasing the game.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I concur, Vindictus combat is a step back because it uses autolocking. That's like saying gaming in a FPS using aimbot is a superior playing experience than gaming without it. I guess it would be if you lack the skill to aim yourself.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    I agree with one thing, the western devs really need a reality check. We are starting to lose our specific MMO philosophy which gave birth to games with depth, great character customisation, planning, complexity, player reputation, sense of comunity. Instead we're gaining shallow games, with close to none RPG elements and this "action real time combat" crap which brings a ton of moro... errr "leet people" to the genre. These are not mmoRPG's, now we got FPS games with levels, even those levels being pointless, as your stat-points and everything are usually auto-allocated, skills auto-learned, auto-crafting etc. No wonder everyone quits after 2 weeks.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Action in western MMORPGs is still a fairly new concept for the greater part of the industry.

As for the bragging part, that's part of normal business operations, and has been for years.  When entering a market that's new for a company, treat your product as if your company invented the concept even if there are others already doing much of the same.  Consumers buy the hype and seldom question it.

For example, I have this great new concept I'm working on.  It's a green energy human powered transportation system, ultra light weight, very portable, and features low operating costs.  Various models will be introduced, custom fit for people of all ages.  It's truly innovative technology.

Now, this is transportation for the 21st century!

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

The only thing I liked about Korean MMO was the combat of Vindictus which was animated really well. All the rest has been pretty bad.

And even though the combat in Vindictus is fun for the first few hours, you quickly realise it's just a solo action game, it has nothing on gameplay of some MMO from the West.

I don't know where people are playing these "amazing" korean MMO. Aion and Tera? They're pretty bad games in my eyes. What else is there.

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Infantry had action combat in an online game way back in the last millennium.  It's not new, though it is becoming a lot more common in MMORPGs lately.

who cares about an obscure reference ... its not the norm

alot more common in korea not here, western devs brag as if they have it, but they dont.. go look at dragon nest and tell me what looks like that from the west?

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by jonrd463

the player - character relationship is a concept you seem to have no knowledge of.

You just summed up what is wrong with all modern MMORPGs. The invasion of the "I'm a pro gamer with skillz!" set that have slowly turned virtual worlds into virtual arenas, completely removing the RPG aspect. Here's hoping the resurgence of the sandbox will herald the return of character-driven play.

This.

Tera is a terrible MMO with little RPG value and depth. The combat is fun for a little while but it it is not an attention keeper.

Originally posted by Razperil

As someone already asked, where is your supposed link to this? Blowing air our of your rear end does not do anyone any good, now does it?

Do i have to get a link?? every time a new big western mmo comes out it makes a big deal about fake action... go watch ESO 9 min trailer right now,  they talk about real time action, the range attacks are all auto aim! deal breaker

go watch devs talk about GW2 before it came out, or STWOR .. they all talk and use action as a selling point, but really its the same shit since WOW came out.. 

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

And yet you manage to forget about certain things...

Vindictus combat - yeah, sure, decent spectacle fighter ocmbat but.. at cost of all the content being instanced. It's a lobby game, which means more freedom with fancy mechanics and lesser reliance on latency issues. 

Tera - similarly, rooting during combat animation is not exaclty fluid/responsive combat. If a spectacle fighter (DmC, GoW, Bayonetta,e tc.) would do this, they'd get laughed off. 

None of the MMOs yet comes even close to combat from singleplayer games even tho attempts at this been going on for years. The echnolgoys imply sin't possible just yet, it's damnc lose but still no cigar. 

Originally posted by dumpcat

This.

Tera is a terrible MMO with little RPG value and depth. The combat is fun for a little while but it it is not an attention keeper.

doesn't matter if a game sucks or not, the topic is western devs bragging about whats already been done, and done better... anyone who loves auto aim is apitomey of a lazy gamer who loves dice rolls and nothing more.

fps are exitcing because its action.. imagine how shitty teh game would be if call of duty was auto aim? the only reason we have auto anything is because of the limites of the internet.. 

Originally posted by Ezhae

And yet you manage to forget about certain things...

Vindictus combat - yeah, sure, decent spectacle fighter ocmbat but.. at cost of all the content being instanced. It's a lobby game, which means more freedom with fancy mechanics and lesser reliance on latency issues. 

Tera - similarly, rooting during combat animation is not exaclty fluid/responsive combat. If a spectacle fighter (DmC, GoW, Bayonetta,e tc.) would do this, they'd get laughed off. 

None of the MMOs yet comes even close to combat from singleplayer games even tho attempts at this been going on for years. The echnolgoys imply sin't possible just yet, it's damnc lose but still no cigar. 

i havent' forgot those points, and i know why most are point and clickers

its the audacity to claim its action when it clearly isn't.. which western devs loves putting out videos and talk up the false gameplay.. and as bad as vindictus is versus a console game (of course) its still better then anything in the west in terms of  combat

if we had 100MB internet of course games would play like god war, darksiders, zelda.. 

and that was my point

Yes and at no point did I say that better games were not coming out of Asia, just pointing out that Tera DOES have crap combat and judging from their big drop in playerbase, even in Korea...its true, it was their biggest selling point.

You can call a duck a dog, its still a duck, and you can say it barks all you want...it quacks. Auto aim or not does not make combat "action" based. And guess what, Guild Wars 2 has "real time dodge" also, only thing is in Tera you have to hit your dodge skill, in GW2, its double tap in the direction you wan to go...Tera is always straight back so even in that way GW2 has MORE OPTIONS making combat...even better.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Action in western MMORPGs is still a fairly new concept for the greater part of the industry.

As for the bragging part, that's part of normal business operations, and has been for years.  When entering a market that's new for a company, treat your product as if your company invented the concept even if there are others already doing much of the same.  Consumers buy the hype and seldom question it.

For example, I have this great new concept I'm working on.  It's a green energy human powered transportation system, ultra light weight, very portable, and features low operating costs.  Various models will be introduced, custom fit for people of all ages.  It's truly innovative technology.

Now, this is transportation for the 21st century!

The Koreans have done this already ....except their kid is wearing a leather half-vest and thong.

Originally posted by dumpcat

This.

doesn't matter if a game sucks or not, the topic is western devs bragging about whats already been done, and done better... anyone who loves auto aim is apitomey of a lazy gamer who loves dice rolls and nothing more.

fps are exitcing because its action.. imagine how shitty teh game would be if call of duty was auto aim? the only reason we have auto anything is because of the limites of the internet.. 

"here's why MMO's should have manual aim: because shooters would suck if they didn't".

I loved the use of the word "teh" in there though. I think it speaks of an era long gone when shooters WERE the pinnacle of gaming. Sadly DOOM is not what it used to be...

let me get this straight, you have a bow and arrow or magic missile... and instead of having fun aiming like you do in when you shoot anything in real life, you would love all your arrows to home in and hit everyone automatically and a dice roll telling you if you hit them or not???  WOW some people really love boring games, why even show them shooting an arrow? lets just see numbers pop up because thats what determines if you hit, not the visuals right?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

its the audacity to claim its action when it clearly isn't..

Who has claimed what and what is action combat to you?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

doesn't matter if a game sucks or not, the topic is western devs bragging about whats already been done, and done better...

Umm, so its ok to put out a crap game with decent combat and it is not ok to put out a decent game with crap combat.

Got it.