Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Celebrating Six Big Years

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Meridion
    ida played this game since release if they had more people in it

That's what everyone said... and why no one played it.

That's an amusing truth for several games.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

heh yeah that gave me a chuckle for sure. Vanguard just isnt going to do all that well even if you give it all away for free. Its a buggy mess still to date with a very dated combat system. People always talk about what a gem it is and how it was going to have SO many new players and servers when it went free to play . SOE make it free to play people screamed and screamed , now look at it 6 months after free to play.... still only  1 medium population server and thats about it. Its not the restrictions as this game is not restrictive at all , its the game is just not in any way modernized for a polished Triple A mmo of this day. At least the guys that do pay for it monthly get content updates regularly finally.

• lantesh1lantesh1 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Wish I could get back into this, but besides the fact that I wouldn't want to reward SoE for letting the game languish to death intentionally and then bringing it back to milk it for some fresh microtransactions on it's way out the door, I don't think I would want to get invested in it now with newer sandbox titles on the horizon.
  • birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    It a great game and the pop is better than most server u find  i log in and  almost alway have a group. I think people are coming back just slowly  cause it failed hard at launch. Every day i see new guild recruiting  and chat always full so something must be right. There are alot of troll on this game cause it is hard, not a easy game to play you have to think. Which in today games is almost like seeing a unicorn in rl.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

...and, like someone else said before, 'big years'? Hardly.

What has been done to VG over the years is a disgrace, even down to the final carpetbagging of it through F2P that we are seeing now when a free client/ trial + expack + sub 4 years ago would have served it so much better (and gained it a ton of new players).

They tried the free trial ages ago with the Isle of Dawn. And guess what? It didnt work.

Thats why this game got put on the shelf by SoE, only to be revived once F2P worked on their flagship games.

Vanguards problems are in its servers and optimisation. The graphics themselves are OK, but its impossible to have smooth gameplay out of it, which is a shame because it ruins the game. It takes 5 seconds for mobs to actually show that they are dead. Not to mention the clunky UI. If they fixed those, even the dated graphics wouldnt bother people that wanted a more hardcore experience.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I don't play games for the people. Yes, it is good to play an MMO with massive amounts of people. But if you are part of a community already, then you just need a decent party setup to have fun. Whats that 3-5 people to get through most content? 

• ChuChuTrickChuChuTrick Member UncommonPosts: 27
    No, I don't want everything free, in fact, all other areas could be more restrictive, however, I feel like restricting items is a way of bullying players into paying for stuff, which means it is not, in fact, free to play.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    The biggest problem for this game is the awful performance. I am using an i7 processor and a video card with capabilities never even dreamed of at the time of development, and the game STILL runs like shit. On top of that, I get 400+ ping at all times, so there is a discernable lag between my input, and my character's actions. Mobs warp around... it's a mess, and the official forums will echo my sentiments if you read them. This game was DOA, and I have no idea how it has held on for as ling as it has. It's a shame, because there are a ton of great ideas in there that are ruined by poor execution.
  • ChuChuTrickChuChuTrick Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    They should of done this 5 years ago, now the game is just terribly dated in terms of looks and mechanics but it really doesnt matter because of the duppers and hackers.

Game is hardly dated in terms of looks....and still looks amazing for a 6 year old game.  Post some screenshots of any 6 year old game and i will post Vanguard screens to show how wrong you are.

Originally posted by ChuChuTrick
    They're still restricting items F2P players can use, that enough for me to say no.

I really really hate freeloaders. You guys want everything for free. 

No, I am not in fact, a feeeloader, I played vanguard beta, preorderd the game, and subed for 8 months, I quite WoW when it was still in it's prime to come play this game, the only reason I posted in the first place is because I consider Vanguard to be the most disapointing game of my mmo experiance...because I wanted to love that game...I really did.

Honestly, if anything, Sony owes me for my 8 months of sub during a period where you couldn't walk 10 feet without encountering a bug.

And like I said in my pervious post, I simply dont like item restrictions, thats one area that a F2P model shouldn't mess with.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I'm not sure why Vanguard has a fanbase at all

it's clearly not how Brad Mcquaid had intended it to turn out, SOE undid most of that work (and no SOE rehiring him isn't going to bring back his original vision)

when you take that away you just have the game mechanics, which are pretty standard in the most boring way possible

why do you fans enjoy it so much? is the community amazing? 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Inktomi

I don't play games for the people. Yes, it is good to play an MMO with massive amounts of people. But if you are part of a community already, then you just need a decent party setup to have fun. Whats that 3-5 people to get through most content? 

The number of people a person needs with them is irrelevant. The point is that, whether it's an MMO or a local bar, the personal thought or small group conversation that commonly happens matches Meridion's statement.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

The number of people a person needs with them is irrelevant. The point is that, whether it's an MMO or a local bar, the personal thought or small group conversation that commonly happens matches Meridion's statement.

Agreed, but that is the fallacy that most people fall into when  thinking in terms of online play. My comment was to display that you really don't need a server full of players to enjoy a game. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I don't know, I've spent an awful lot of time in some extraordinarily niche titles. I've no doubt there's a fair number of gamers who can't enjoy a game unless the Herd validates their choice. At the same time, it's kind of a stretch to assume that's a universal.

How much of a community do I need? At least one partner, historically. A guild to chatter with, or raid with. Possibly an enemy guild, to compete with.

The rest of the players in any game are largely inconsequential; at best, consumers of my auction products. So my server needs...roughly 50-100 players?

I think perhaps it's a psychological effect, do I see enough players "running around and doing stuff", or does it feel like crickets chirping tumbleweed ghost town. Which suggests traffic control might be more important than actual populations.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    I play vanguard on a 2 year old wal mart computer and get 12 ping, if zone is full like a city 34 tops so many troll,  People get use to playing easy click and finish games. Well ill enjoy it till another great mmorpg comes.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Vanguard will never get good population, they have to revamp so much for it to draw a wider audience. The problem is the optimization, low FPS, Graphics and slow combat.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by evilastro

What has been done to VG over the years is a disgrace, even down to the final carpetbagging of it through F2P that we are seeing now when a free client/ trial + expack + sub 4 years ago would have served it so much better (and gained it a ton of new players).

They tried the free trial ages ago with the Isle of Dawn. And guess what? It didnt work.

Yep, I am aware of that, but to be fair the free trial was only a part of what I said would have been good for the game. On it's own I am not suprised it didn't work.

Vanguards problems are in its servers and optimisation. The graphics themselves are OK, but its impossible to have smooth gameplay out of it, which is a shame because it ruins the game. It takes 5 seconds for mobs to actually show that they are dead. Not to mention the clunky UI. If they fixed those, even the dated graphics wouldnt bother people that wanted a more hardcore experience.

Yep, I agree.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I don't play games for the people.

This makes me cry.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Thats why this game got put on the shelf by SoE, only to be revived once F2P worked on their flagship games.

Did you play it on your mobile phone?,because the 5 seconds for a mob to show die is just a downright lie,at least  on my pc.

Originally posted by Fangrim

Did you play it on your mobile phone?,because the 5 seconds for a mob to show die is just a downright lie,at least  on my pc.

No, my computer is probably much better than yours. And I have a 30 mbps internet connection.

My PC runs pretty much any MMO available at max settings with zero lag. Except Vanguard. So yeah, its not me, its the game.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

No, my computer is probably much better than yours. And I have a 30 mbps internet connection.

My PC runs pretty much any MMO available at max settings with zero lag. Except Vanguard. So yeah, its not me, its the game.

ah I see where this is going but my dad would beat your dad in a fight.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

The game is still a bug filled mess and most the dev time and resources are just being funneled into the cash shop items. The ftp restrictions arent too bad anymore, you can even buy unlockers and p2w keys on the broker for in game gold and never spend a single rl penny. I enjoy the classes and combat but i never understood some people claiming this to be the best game ever. Vanguard has such horrible coding and lack of technical support that it isnt uncommon to see a wide range of performance variation with different hardware/computers.

Overall vanguard is still a subpar game not worth a sub filled with bugs and on my computer at least horrible performance. The so called "depth" and "difficulty" were removed long ago and there are much deeper and more difficult games out there, eq1 for one.

• mizrolistmizrolist Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    They should of done this 5 years ago, now the game is just terribly dated in terms of looks and mechanics but it really doesnt matter because of the duppers and hackers.

Game is hardly dated in terms of looks....and still looks amazing for a 6 year old game.  Post some screenshots of any 6 year old game and i will post Vanguard screens to show how wrong you are.

Originally posted by ChuChuTrick
    They're still restricting items F2P players can use, that enough for me to say no.

I really really hate freeloaders. You guys want everything for free. 

I only want to be able to use the items I can craft...

Signatures are boring things.

ah I see where this is going but my dad would beat your dad in a fight.

That wasn't where it was going. I was just pre-empting any stupid 'upgrade your PC' or 'get a better ISP' comments. As someone who has raided in Vanguard I can't figure out whether you are blindly white knighting them or have such bad reflexes that you don't notice the combat lag. The game is poorly optimized and has a clunky ui. That isn't an opinion, it's just how it is. The developers have widely acknowledged this, but there is only so much they can do about it. 

• YakCastYakCast Member Posts: 59

I agree man plus it's just buttion mashing with tab target WOW clone.

Yak Cast | MMO Podcast: http://www.yak.mmoSmackTalk.com
    Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk
    Follow me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/YakCast

I don't play games for the people.

This makes me cry.

Now that you point that out, I realize how sad it does sound. But I am great with with other people online-sometimes. Other times I just want to kick back and unwind with a fun game. I am putting all the marbles on TESO. I think that is going to be the next game to draw me in. When I get drawn into a game, and its fun, the personal relationships just seem to form naturally.

Thanks for pointing that out though, I need to take a look at that.