Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Trek Online: Things Are Great in Roddenberry's World

2»

Comments

• siuko_uksiuko_uk Member UncommonPosts: 37

I've looked and been interested in playing this as its Star Trek...

But I just dont want any of the Space Battles.

If I could level solely on away missions I would probably try it :D

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Space combat nowhere near to the level of EvE and ground combat nowhere near to WoW. However it is a free to play game and although it may be a master of none, it is a Jack of trades between them.

I would not say that this is a game for everyone, with how people are groomed into the MMO universes, but it is quit ea deep and rich experience if you are playing it in leisure rather than looking to 'tick' off content visited.

There is a lot of reading in the game, which I know traditional MMO players will just skip and get into the content, which is to their folly. Getting involved with the game, reading the missions and interacting with the characters can be a joy and something that only harms your experience if you are not playing along with it.

As a Star Trek fan it is nice to have these regular throw-bcks to the original series to it. Such as Q or the dominion etc. However I know that Roddenberry would of hated his IP being used in this manner, but to be honest I don't care, Roddenberry also disliked DS-9 which was one of my favourites of the franchise.

Personally myself, I log in every now and then to do the new content and then pretty much leave, I just consider it like picking up a book, or getting involved with an interactive tv episode. So, if you are bored with nothing to do I would say give this a go, you might really like it and keep playing, you may hate it and wish to avoid or you might be like me, like the content but only want to invest only so much time to it now and then.

What harm could it do you, after all your on MMORPG because you are looking for something interesting to enjoy. Heres an opputunity for you.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Geez ozmodan is there ANY game out there that you don't criticize harshly? Every game post I went to and you complain about everything!

Anyways, that's cool the game changed played afew months after beta was fun but at that stage did all I could do. Might have to check it out again!
  • WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

Star Trek Online is NOT Roddenberry's world, as stated in the headline of the article. It's currently DStahl's world and ham fisted decisions on his watch resulted in some unforgiveable changes pushed to live servers.

After 33 months of uninterrupted subscribing to STO (3 measly months short of my third anniversary), Season 7 was shoved to live servers and wholesale changes to the game basically ruined it for me and I quit subscribing and haven't been back, since.

STO has become become a mindless grindfest, ruined the in game currency by nerfing ways of earning dilithium and continued to push pay-to-open lock boxes down everyone's throats. The devs work on ships to be sold in the Cryptic Store or to be found in said lock boxes, but actualy story line content all but disappeared except for stuff that loyal subscribers created themselves (good foundry missions to crap ratio is about 1:100 so good luck finding good ones).

I thought it was ironic and sadly fitting that no Star Trek series ever went past Season 7, and with Online's horrible S7 patch, the trend continues (at least for me).

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I remember when ther ewere puzzle quests you had to solve to progress. after being away for a few months i came back and almost all the quests I had done previously that offered any fun challenge were removed. I couldnt believe it.. The Tholian Misson Chain was nerfed and i almost cried.

The game hasnt gotten better.. Its more expensive than a subscription model if you want to stay competative, The maddening number of lock boxes you recieve are more than pften a bigger headache than anything else, and for the keys to open them you can spend months converting dilithium to zen or just penny up 1.5 million creds for one.

The foundry is the one thing i have enjoyed because it lets playes release thier creative side. I encourage that. the rep system on top of working on buulding up the fleet is very time consuming and very expensive.. undecided if I like it yet.

Over all STO is a decent game to get involved in if your primary game is down for maintenance.. but for a main game I think its missing too much and has allowed the greed engine to control its developement.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
     Wanted to get back to the game after a 3 month hiatus and launcher says my accounts banned :(. Have a ticket in, but who knows how long before I get any kind of response. Man that sucks :(
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by BadSpock

People who want a "true" Star Trek MMO seem to think that every Starfleet officer lives the life of Kirk, Picard, Sisko, or Janeway.

99% of them spend most of their time surveying gaseous nebulas and transporting VIPs and science teams.

Oh, and the other 1% of the time they are getting blown to hell by Borg/Klingons/Romulans/Dominion etc. for the 4 "hero" captains to come investigate/save/avenge.

STO must be set in the "Mirror" universe that your BadSpock Avatar is from. In the "Mirror" universe 99% are the captains are war mongers who kill everything in sight just like the MMO.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Space... The small instanced box...

These are the voyages of the starship 3nterpr1se...

On her 30 minutes at a time mission...

To find strange new worlds (and kill them)...

To seek out new life and new civilizations (and kill them)...

To boldly go where everyone and their uncle has gone before...

(Queue Star Trek Theme music)

If that was Roddenberry's world than yeah... STO nailed it. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Space... The small instanced box...These are the voyages of the starship 3nterpr1se...On her 30 minutes at a time mission...To find strange new worlds (and kill them)...To seek out new life and new civilizations (and kill them)...To boldly go where everyone and their uncle has gone before...(Queue Star Trek Theme music) If that was Roddenberry's world than yeah... STO nailed it. image Bren  

LOL and QFT!
  • Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

Finally there are people giving actual comments on the travesty that season 7 was. MMORPG this was a failure by you and by reporting in general. I guess you wanna match the majority of the media out there and being utterly epic failures.

Season 7 was pushed down everyone's throats and people who realized it for the SCAM that it was got out of the way. If season 8 does not fix matters this game is not going to make it to 9. Far too many solid games out there for a true trek fan to enjoy rather than this piece of garbage.

Believe what you will but this only further shows MMORPG being a softball.

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Hyperion5182

Finally there are people giving actual comments on the travesty that season 7 was. MMORPG this was a failure by you and by reporting in general. I guess you wanna match the majority of the media out there and being utterly epic failures.

Season 7 was pushed down everyone's throats and people who realized it for the SCAM that it was got out of the way. If season 8 does not fix matters this game is not going to make it to 9. Far too many solid games out there for a true trek fan to enjoy rather than this piece of garbage.

Believe what you will but this only further shows MMORPG being a softball.

I, like numerous other worried players, posted concerns on the official STO forums around the time of the test server weekend before the launch of Season 7. The many problems that everyone posted were met with...

Silence. Complete and total silence, from the developers, or from management. No one on that side of the game seemed to care (or had the power to do anything about it). That was the first time I'd seen that attitude from the developers of STO. It's like they didn't care that a large amount of people had problems with quite a few decisions being pushed live in Season 7.

I knew then that the handwriting was on the wall (for me at least) and my days were numbered with this game. The devs made a couple of knee-jerk token changes not long after launch, but few addressed any of the problems that Season 7 created and dstahl took a victory lap claiming that he had listened to the players and made changes but that was all spin (as usual) and no substance.

I really wanted to be a part of the game during the third anniversary celebration, I put so much time (and money) into the game over the 33 months I subscribed -- I'm no sour grapes f2p person griping about some free content they didn't like. I was there on day one of launch and remained a subscriber, uninterrupted, until a week or so after Season  7 went live.

Cryptic and Perfect World are more interested in quick cash grabs: They reduced the price of life time subs and made 1000 day veteran rewards instantly available at the swipe of a credit card, guess what? I was 3.5 weeks short of 1000 days at the time they pulled this stunt, so all of the new lifetime sub people got their "free" 1000 day ship as soon as the credit card cleared, I went almost a month waiting on my non-stop-since-lauch subscription cycle for 3.5 more weeks before I got my ship. There was widespread complaints about the grandfathering of LTS at the time, but Crypic/PW made a fortune that month. Way to reward long term loyalty for short term cash grabs.

I wont even go into the lock boxes and pay-to-open key cash grabs and the dwindling amount of REAL content (not cash shop items).