Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is this a lobby game?

VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
no towns, just meet up with groups in a lobby sort of like mechwarrior online or more akin to a FPS ?

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    It is a full fledged persistant MMO with an emphasis on action combat, running instanced dungeons with friends (and a dungeon Finder woot) and collecting loot.  The game according to the develoeprs is about 50% persistant and 50% instanced.  SOme may not like it but for those of us who are looking forward to a style of combat that promotes skill set in the ever amazing lore of Forgotten Realms with the undoubtedly most innovative feature to keep a themepark rolling in content (The Foundry UGC) then this should be an amazing game.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    sounds good. For some reason I was under the impression that there would be no form of persistant world.  You would basically log in to the game and join groups delving straight into dungeons with them from a lobby.

• drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28
    Just a heads up, but the Foundry is not a unique or new concept. The first MMO to incorporate it that I know of was City of Heroes/City of Villains. Key words there: that I know of...
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by drebian
    Just a heads up, but the Foundry is not a unique or new concept. The first MMO to incorporate it that I know of was City of Heroes/City of Villains. Key words there: that I know of...

Made by cryptic - which they continued using in STO - and its new iteration is to be placed in NW.

Each better than the previous one.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Hahahaha made by the same developer.... so what was your point again?

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    star trek online uses cryptics foundry system also. some of the player made content blows cryptics away

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa
    star trek online uses cryptics foundry system also. some of the player made content blows cryptics away

it's also Cryptic Studios game :p

http://crypticstudios.com/

ah, read it wrong, the player made is better than Crypic's own content. That's very cool.

They said they will work with top Foundry users to make the Cryptic content :p

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    It is a full fledged persistant MMO with an emphasis on action combat, running instanced dungeons with friends (and a dungeon Finder woot) and collecting loot.  The game according to the develoeprs is about 50% persistant and 50% instanced.  SOme may not like it but for those of us who are looking forward to a style of combat that promotes skill set in the ever amazing lore of Forgotten Realms with the undoubtedly most innovative feature to keep a themepark rolling in content (The Foundry UGC) then this should be an amazing game.

[mod edit]

Cryptic create second rate ultra-instanced MMO's with zero depth. There is no reason to think this game will be different.

Originally posted by Yamota

Cryptic create second rate ultra-instanced MMO's with zero depth. There is no reason to think this game will be different.

You could watch some of the videos with lots of open world Quests

instanced content doesnt bother me, even the biggest open worlds consist of 100's or 1000's of small instances linked together. It's all an illusion.

PC Gamer preview they say the world seems huge.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa
    no towns, just meet up with groups in a lobby sort of like mechwarrior online or more akin to a FPS ?

Wow... How is that we've talked about this game so long, and this has never been asked. I never thought that it might be a lobby game, but now that you ask, I can't remember seeing any of the world image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    50% instanced!

Thanks for the heads up,one for me to avoid then.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I would go check the release dates but I dont care that much...so...I do know that Asherons Call 2 had a lifetime subscription offer which is basically the same thing so im not sure which came first.

Anyway, I see the founder offer as being for someone that really wants to take advantage of the foundry because you will only get to use to a FEW times for free and will have to buy unlocks from the cash shop, the $200 founder offer comes with 750,000 cash shop credits or whatever its called, while we have no idea if that is a LOT yet, im sure its not a LITTLE, got to be at least $50 worth...I would hope.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

[mod edit]

I was thinking the same thing, wow, way to take a straight up statement (which is posed as a question) and twist it around to make someone believe its something different.  Just a paragraph of marketing spin.

Its a lobby game yes, like all of cryptics games and a large majority of F2P games.  open world games are hard  to pull off, so developers take  the easy way out, just making a series of smaller maps like a single player FPS or RPG, liking them together adding multiplayer and calling it an MMO.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    don't really care either way(although nothing i have seen in any way indicated this to be a lobby game ie GW1 or Vindictous) if i can make some fun encounters with the foundry and share them with my friends ill be happy:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    50% instanced!

Thanks for the heads up,one for me to avoid then.

Odd for me any MMO without instances would be one to avoid as they are laggy as hell, especially when too many players are in one area. I don't need 100 players running through the secret long lost dungeon me and my groups doing, to kill steal and train on us, nore do I need to wait hours in line behind other groups for a boss mob spawn to have fun. YMMV.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by snapfusion

[mod edit]

I was thinking the same thing, wow, way to take a straight up statement (which is posed as a question) and twist it around to make someone believe its something different.  Just a paragraph of marketing spin.

Its a lobby game yes, like all of cryptics games and a large majority of F2P games.  open world games are hard  to pull off, so developers take  the easy way out, just making a series of smaller maps like a single player FPS or RPG, liking them together adding multiplayer and calling it an MMO.

Umm so uh link please to proof of your statement that its a Lobby game? I'd hate to think your just posting opinion or misinformation.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/pax/807-neverwinter-online-pax-12-preview

A 50/50 mixture of open-world content and instanced areas, both of which are playable in groups or alone, but being D&D, groups are encouraged for maximum fun output.

so its not a lobby game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    don't really care either way(although nothing i have seen in any way indicated this to be a lobby game ie GW1 or Vindictous) if i can make some fun encounters with the foundry and share them with my friends ill be happy:)

This here. People get so hung on on whether a game fits their definition of MMO that they completely forget that games are supposed to be for fun. It's the number one thing to take into consideration. 

Originally posted by kartool
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

This here. People get so hung on on whether a game fits their definition of MMO that they completely forget that games are supposed to be for fun. It's the number one thing to take into consideration. 

yup so many other games coming out that will hopefully satisfy my other "wants" in a MMO.. but none I see with the D&D universe and a full foundry type system.. ill take what I can get and if it works well and is fun ill play it:)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

CoH/CoV used the foundry? now that's a new info.

thought STO was the first

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Neverwinter has several "open" leveling zones, not just the city and a few instances.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by mmprime
    Neverwinter has several "open" leveling zones, not just the city and a few instances.

Correct. I actually don't mind the high number of instances. So you zone into a dungeons.......big deal, don't we do that in everything now? Vanguard , Daoc were the only ones to really get open world dungeons right anyway, in my opinion. EQ worked great also but I doubt many people enjoy camping rooms anymore.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Thane

CoH/CoV used the foundry? now that's a new info.

thought STO was the first

That is a spectacular bit of misinformation there your right.

CoH/CoV used The Architect introduced in early 2009 and developed by Paragon Studios not Cryptic

The Foundry appeared in STO late 2010.

5 zone videos

Chasm zone

Blackdagger ruins zone

Helm's Hold zone

Ebon Downs zone

Vellosk zone

As seen in the videos, there are open world bosses in each zone

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Arcona

5 zone videos

Chasm zone

Blackdagger ruins zone

Helm's Hold zone

Ebon Downs zone

Vellosk zone

As seen in the videos, there are open world bosses in each zone

Good to see.  I'm still very wary of anything made by Cryptic.  Hopefully they have broken out of their old habits of zero depth heavily instanced games.