Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: What would you choose: P2P, B2P, cash shops?

2»

Comments

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Subscription - It weeds out the turd and beggars of F2P games. 

Though I do like cashshops a bit too. In sub games the devs keep pushing out patches and some new content every now and then, but cashshops bring new stuff in faster (vanity stuff etc.), since they need to come up with new ideas more often to keep the money pouring in. 

If the cashshop turns into pay-to-win shop, then it's of course completely another story. I loathe games like that.

Edit: I really like EVE's concept. Subscription - but an option to pay the sub with ingame currency too.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by Findariel
    Didn't we do this a week ago? http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/375389/Poll-Which-payment-model-is-ideal-for-ESO.html

Oops you're right! :x

Disappointing though that people actually want cash shops.

I find people wanting subscriptions (the grim reaper of MMOs) more disappointing. B2P is the way to go for ESO.

Sorry but i disagree, B2P is nothing mre than a glorified F2P game. Because even B2P games have cash shops, dlc's, and stores to buy extra's. Another illusion you people fall for. Sorry but i dont want to be part of the community tiers of who has more cash to spend. Paying a 15 month fee then not having any worries is better option than waiting around for the next cash shop update or it doing play to win.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Subscription only. F2P just makes people multibox and the balance of who pays for the game gets fucked and makes for a shitty community. That also means there should be no cash shop of any kind - like they do in WoW with their retardedly overpriced pets and mounts... bad, bad Blizzard.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Return the subscription, if the game is of any quality then players will pay.  f2p, b2p just sucks money from players to keep up with the jones's, or they try to ply you with lottery items.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Didn't we do this a week ago? http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/375389/Poll-Which-payment-model-is-ideal-for-ESO.html

I find people wanting subscriptions (the grim reaper of MMOs) more disappointing. B2P is the way to go for ESO.

Sorry but i disagree, B2P is nothing mre than a glorified F2P game. Because even B2P games have cash shops, dlc's, and stores to buy extra's. Another illusion you people fall for. Sorry but i dont want to be part of the community tiers of who has more cash to spend. Paying a 15 month fee then not having any worries is better option than waiting around for the next cash shop update or it doing play to win.

P2P is dead. Time to face the truth guys. What was the last game that launched with P2P and was successful? WoW in 2004. It's been 9 years of catastrophic failures. It's time to move on.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

P2P is dead. Time to face the truth guys. What was the last game that launched with P2P and was successful? WoW in 2004. It's been 9 years of catastrophic failures. It's time to move on.

You are correct, but has nothing to do with the pay model. The games themselves suck and thats why no one sticks around to any one game as long as we use to. Older games had longevity and feeling to them. Since WOW all games look, feel, and play the exact same. And there are plenty of p2p games still going and many more on the horrizon. F2P games are just a crutch to try to get the bad game some more life, period. Because if the games were out of this world good, then 30 cents a day is not a problem.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    B2P + CS for me.  GW2 never makes me feel like I'm trying to squeeze in my money's worth like WoW did.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

exactly

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

You are correct, but has nothing to do with the pay model. The games themselves suck and thats why no one sticks around to any one game as long as we use to. Older games had longevity and feeling to them. Since WOW all games look, feel, and play the exact same. And there are plenty of p2p games still going and many more on the horrizon. F2P games are just a crutch to try to get the bad game some more life, period. Because if the games were out of this world good, then 30 cents a day is not a problem.

It has everything to do with the pay model. A P2P MMO has set its bar incredibely high. It pretty much has to be the WoW killer to survive.

A B2P's bar on the other hand is set way lower. Imagine if GW2 was P2P. It would be considered as much of a failure as SWTOR or TSW, TERA.

Also let's not forget that most ESO players are TES fans (81% according to a poll on this very forum) and they are used to B2P. P2P would alienate most of them.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

so you're saying P2P games don't have cash shops? 

Look at them more closely, every single one of them offers you micro-transactions where you can transfer servers, change name, change gender, change look, get a mount, get a super awesome looking pet, it's all there, right next to the P2P mark.

So why not have B2P with the exact same things offered in the cash shop? We do have it, it's in GW2 but people tend to crap all over the place when they read "B2P" because most of them have no idea what the shop actually offers and how it affects your gameplay.

P2P is overrated and overpriced. It can not justify the price of a monthly sub with it's slow content updates and when they actually do get an expansion, look at that, you have to PAY for it in most P2P mmorps! I remember someone saying something about payed DLCs in f2p? hmm..

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

F2P games are just a crutch to try to get the bad game some more life, period. Because if the games were out of this world good, then 30 cents a day is not a problem. 

That is Freemium not F2P.

One of the first F2P games ever made, Nexus: Kingdom of the winds released back in 1996 is STILL RUNNING TODAY and it was THE game that made Nexon the powerhouse company it is today...powerful enough that last year they dump near 150 million on Ndoors and 100 million more on 2 other buyouts. In fact, there are more F2P games with over 1 million people playing it thats over 5 years old than there are P2P games, total. That smacks of a high retention rate, higher consumer base and a higher potential to make more money than P2P games...and many of them do, that is the reason why so many major MMO companies are saying P2P is a thing of the past, it no longer makes any sense business wise.

Anyway, your 30c a day comment is used to defend a price given based on a lie, one that more and more gamers are no longer buying into. Smart consumers learn and evolve and force industries to change...people defending P2P remind me of those that were still using candles and oil lamps 20 years after their towns got electricity, cause, you know...they are hand made, natural and good quality and people have been using them for 100s of years....its the norm. Well, it WAS the norm.

P2P is a thing of the past, in its death throws and its about damn time.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Subscription.

I don't want cash shops. Not even for "cosmetics". I want everything to be earned through game play, not "pay to win it". Furthermore, as said by the OP, I want the game to work on real game features instead of boosting cash shop sales.

And I suspect that with every quarterly report there will be incentive to make the cash shop "more" and let the game become "less".

But I'm not buying this game anyways. It's not really any different than what's come before, as far as game play.

Once upon a time....

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i actually chose the game being most fun. no matter which business model it'S running.

does it matter how you pay em for their work as long you have fun with it?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Subscription.

I don't want cash shops. Not even for "cosmetics". I want everything to be earned through game play

Well don't look now, but the biggest subscription game EVER has things in it that you can't get through gameplay (ie: WoW).  People seem to think P2P is so great when if a game is popular enough, we've already seen evidence that a company will add a cash shop ANYWAY.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    B2P + CS for me very few if any MMOs i felt gave enough content or support to warrant the $180 bucks a year...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Box
    Eve isn't a wow killer. It does perfectly well with a sub model.

The reason I don't like cash shops, is devs design the bloody game around them. E.g. gw2 massive gold sinks in WvW, so you have to either grind the boring pve or buy gems. And then there's the issue of devs working on vanity crap to put in cash shops when they could be working on the actual game
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
This discussion has been closed.