Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The formation of a megathread: "Are the Servers dying again?"

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I've been noticing the trend as well .. servers are dying again.  It's surely a little ways away from being completely dead like before the merges, but the fact that others are observing the lack of population is worth noting.

Are the Servers dying again?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=593298

hi guys, i haven't played this game for 7-8 days (computer problems) but i am still watching the servers and forums and i can see the servers are standars or heavy but never very heavy or full. also i've been watching Torstatus.net and it doesnt look good. my server prophecy of the fice was 2.20 12 days ago and now it's 1.93

what is going on? i've heard there are problems connections but i am not sure what is going on.
can you explain me this?

Perhaps the same old reused content isn't going to be very appealing, and EA should have listened when fans said they wanted mini-games, housing, and free-roam space flight.  Even the little details matter like day-night cycles, sitting in chairs, and chat-bubbles.

Yay, Makeb offers the same as before, just a new planet.  Whoop whoop...  >dub step<  Whoop whoop de whoop whoop (same beat over and over .. and over and over ..) ... (and over and over too)...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I gave up on SWTOR after being in on three Beta test and 30 days of subscription time, too much dishonesty from the developers.

Have fun those that are still playing.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Lol, thats all.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

Our server, Shadowlands, is still growing; I've seen no signs which support the charge made in the OP.  Also, I still see a lot of very heavy servers, and the occasional full server during peak times.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

The other week when they allowed more char slots, majority of the servers were all constantly FULL, and you could not miss it. Sevenstar posted screenshots of it. If it is rare to see servers FULL then populations are dropping again.

Trickling out content from time to time and more frequently, keeps more people interested more. If all same content is released all at once and then nothing for a long time that will lose more players as people just get bored and move on.

Some say they see no difference in game, and they won't really until there is only one instance left per area and that declines. Even if the populations increase by 1000 times you will not see any more people in game as they will just be split up into more instances.

If it does get FULL again post screenshots here. These forums allow you to upload images from your PC to your mmorpg profile, and then can link them from there, or if you have Xfire then link from there.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I played last night for a few hours. Fleet had 3 instances going for Republic, there were more than 80 people in Taris when leveling my JK and more than 150 on Tatooine when Leveling my Sniper. That's more than I've seen ever. So I don't think it's going down at all. Also my guild added 10 people this week, all brand new subb'ers  to the game.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The SWtOR play model (focusing on expensive to produce personal story and the like) can only mean a boom and bust performance for a MMORPG.

Let players tell their own stories, even if only to themselves in the heads. Your game will be better for it.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208
    Grumpy Cat 1 - NO JUST NO
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Nope, not biting.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

It all depends on what server you are on. A server may not be dying, but all servers overall are.

If you were on Starsider in SWG from the start you would not have noticed any difference either (unless you looked at the stats of all of them), but if you were on servers like Kauri you would notice that populations were dying.

Originally posted by Mesfenlir

This is not the screnshot you are looking for!

If that is is so then post a picture like this as at 13th Jan, taken recently (like today/tonight/tomorrow/later this week) that shows 5 FULL US servers (or more) instead of a cat

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir

This is not the screnshot you are looking for!

If that is is so then post a picture like this as at 13th Jan, taken recently (like today/tonight/tomorrow/later this week) that shows 5 FULL US servers (or more) instead of a cat

Grumpy cat approves your sense of humour.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Here is my theory...

I would assume that a lot of people do like I do by logging in and sending your companions out for crew skills. The reason I assume this, is that while I am doing it, I see a lot of other characters spawn for a few minutes and disappear. Now that my subscription ran out, I will not be doeing that anymore since I would only be able to use one crew skill as a F2P.

I too am on Shadowlands, and the majority of people you see are on the fleet...not on the planets. The last time I was on hoth leveling an alt, there were 13 people on the planet. SWTOR isn't the worst mmo on the market, but there are so many that are better.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Are the servers dying again? the answer is easy, NO. Just a normal drop of acitve players till the 1.7 update coming this Month, and that drop is really small and temporary.   
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Are the servers dying again? the answer is easy, NO. Just a normal drop of acitve players till the 1.7 update coming this Month, and that drop is really small and temporary.   

I'd say this is the most likely reason, but Bioware does need to step it up on releasing new content. Some of their competition is releasing new content on a monthy basis(TSW for instance) and players get bored of grinding the sames instances and zones every day. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Can't say I'm suprised with the amount of amnosity from the sub players against f2p players, chat was filled with anti f2p before and start of f2p going live.  I'm going to the starter area and kill all the quest mobs threats were common place.
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I'd say this is the most likely reason, but Bioware does need to step it up on releasing new content. Some of their competition is releasing new content on a monthy basis(TSW for instance) and players get bored of grinding the sames instances and zones every day. 

Yeah, even paying playing subbers, are realising that there has been no real new content since before June 2012, what I have been saying for months.

It has been proven that people left the game, and it went F2P, when last year it was still full of promise and hope, so why would people still stay with the game now, when they just keep living off the content created about a year ago with not much hope for the future?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5807480&postcount=21

Thread: Are the Servers dying again? View Single Post {C}{C}{C}{C}

{C}{C}

{C}{C}AshenK
    {C}{C}OldToday , 04:28 AM | #21

{C}{C}Quote

{C}{C}{C}

Quote: Originally Posted by Oggthebase View Post

well, the reality is that EAware has been living off content that was planned and created before the launch of the game. Everything we've seen so far, Makeb, Terror from Beyond, Ancient Hypergates, HK-51 was announced in june 2012 at E3, more than seven months ago. For them to announce it in june, it was probably being developped at least a few months before.

Since june last year, nothing NEW has been announced. No new flashpoint, no new operation, no new warzone, no new story content.

It's worrying that they've been living off what James Ohlen did, and done nothing since other people took over the direction of the game.

Well said.

Really this game doesn't have all that much in the way of new content. Players are leaving for games like TSW as it's sandbox and B2P. GW2 has new content coming out and is doing much more with the storyline stuff and again it's B2P. TOR really won't last much longer it's starting to look like the game will go back to the servers being light. Maybe if the Devs did more besides add in new over priced CM stuff this wouldn't happen.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Yeah, even paying playing subbers, are realising that there has been no real new content since before June 2012, what I have been saying for months.

It has been proven that people left the game, and it went F2P, so why would people still stay with the game now, when they just keep living off the content created about a year ago with not much hope or the future,  when last year it was still full of promise and hope.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5807480&postcount=21

Thread: Are the Servers dying again? View Single Post {C}{C}{C}{C}

{C}{C}

{C}{C}AshenK
    {C}{C}OldToday , 04:28 AM | #21

{C}{C}Quote

{C}{C}{C}

Quote: Originally Posted by Oggthebase View Post

well, the reality is that EAware has been living off content that was planned and created before the launch of the game. Everything we've seen so far, Makeb, Terror from Beyond, Ancient Hypergates, HK-51 was announced in june 2012 at E3, more than seven months ago. For them to announce it in june, it was probably being developped at least a few months before.

Since june last year, nothing NEW has been announced. No new flashpoint, no new operation, no new warzone, no new story content.

It's worrying that they've been living off what James Ohlen did, and done nothing since other people took over the direction of the game.

Well said.

Really this game doesn't have all that much in the way of new content. Players are leaving for games like TSW as it's sandbox and B2P. GW2 has new content coming out and is doing much more with the storyline stuff and again it's B2P. TOR really won't last much longer it's starting to look like the game will go back to the servers being light. Maybe if the Devs did more besides add in new over priced CM stuff this wouldn't happen.

Everything he said is true except the part about TSW being a sandbox. I'm sure quite a few posters here would have an issue with that statement ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Nope.  Haven't noticed any steady drop at all.  My server is still packed in all areas.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Ive said it before, ill say it again. Every single P2P game that goes F2P will see a big jump in players...for a while.

Even Age of Conan had a massive increase in players after going F2P, 3 months after doing so Funcom announced that 600,000 new accounts were created since going F2P...yet going into the 4th month the servers were very light, why? because, they game isnt all that good.

Going F2P does not make the game suddenly good and everything wrong with it go away. The things that drove paying players away are still there AND its a game that is not focused on the F2P crowd, just look at SWTORs cash shop and its crazy F2P limits for a prime example. Its a bastardization of F2P as much as a bastardization of an MMO. It would have been different if the newer new people in charge learned from the mistakes of the new people they replaced because the old people were clueless gits that didnt know what was wrong. Instead the game is being led by 3rd generation developers that still dont know why most people cant stand the game. F2P changes nothing, just a lifeline to keep the game alive a little longer.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I agree with this statement. I don't think that game is loosing subs, players just spend less time in SWTOR waiting for 1.7 and Makeb. Every MMO I played was going through the same cycle. Nothing unusual here in my opinion.

Low planets are still swarmed with new players. Every planet I was yesterday had at least 2 instances /shrug

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Nope, not biting.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

All one has to do is look at torstatus.net to see the answer.  Standard server line been on the increase the past week or so,  heavy is way down.

The fact is folks are tired of the same old thing.  The next patch will go out folks will log in and play until board to death again. 

Still the decline is adding up.  EA is just not doing what it takes to keep folks interested that much is a fact.

Originally posted by grimal

Nope.  Haven't noticed any steady drop at all.  My server is still packed in all areas.

Seriosuly even Sevnstar has noticed a decline.

Looking forward to seeing a screenshot later with it being FULL

No screenshots (taken since today) showing 5 FULL US servers or more = (temporarly) dying.

When 1.7 or Makeb hits and does not meet 5 FULL US servers, then it is definately dying

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by grimal

Seriosuly even Sevnstar has noticed a decline.

Looking forward to seeing a screenshot later with it being FULL

No screenshots (taken since today) showing 5 FULL US servers or more = (temporarly) dying.

When 1.7 or Makeb hits and does not meet 5 FULL US servers, then it is definately dying

Dying? Hardly. There were over 200 players on Tython on The Ebon Hawk yesterday, Alderan had 2 instances... my Jedi Knight is there right now, Fleet has multiple instances on both factions,

it's just a common sense that there is decline in time you spend in game between new content. Even I spend less hours in SWTOR now, as I am going through all Mass Effect games - starting from 1 in prepareness for Mass Effect 4. I am going to also go through all Dragon Age games, to prepare for Dragon Age III. That alone makes me play less SWTOR, but I stick with bioWare games, which I absolutely love. My guildies spend right now plenty of time in Minecraft... (I might even join them LOL) trying to build a Deathstar /grin. But they did not unsub, and we still have regular guild events, they just play less SWTOR waing fo new content. I bet though that servers will be full when Makeb hits.

There is nothing wrong in playing more then one game at the same time.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i doubt the game is dying but with any free to play game out there people come and go on a regular. This game pushes out content slower than even blizzard does so I would expect the games population to dwindle waiting for new stuff to release than come back. As far as new players coming in , hell even allods online still has new accounts and players coming into game and look at how bad that game is. I wouldnt expect SWTOR to die anytime soon or lose a lot of players . As restrictive as this game is on free players , most seem willing to play it regardlessly because of the Star Wars name and they seem to get more free passes than most other shady companies that are similiar