Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misunderstanding founders packs

stiz4shizstiz4shiz Member UncommonPosts: 14

I feel like a lot of folks are getting the idea behind founders packs wrong.

It's not meant to be a way into an alpha or a beta test. Sure a lot of them offer this as an incentive to purchase one but, that's not why they're there. Founders packs are there to give people the option to help support a game or company that they like...and that's all, nothing more.

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Agreed.

However i do think it makes perfect sense to give every single supporter access to the beta. 

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• stiz4shizstiz4shiz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by monstermmo

Agreed.

However i do think it makes perfect sense to give every single supporter access to the beta. 

So do I. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by stiz4shiz

It's not meant to be a way into an alpha or a beta test. Sure a lot of them offer this as an incentive to purchase one but, that's not why they're there. Founders packs are there to give people the option to help support a game or company that they like...and that's all, nothing more.

Might want to pass that info along to the marketing people for Neverwinter Online.

"Begin your adventure to defend Neverwinter equipped with all the benefits of a Founder! Neverwinter Founders will receive exclusive in-game perks, guaranteed beta weekend access starting February 8, and much more! Want to be a the ultimate hero of Neverwinter? Check out the full features list."

No mention at all of support the game.  The pitch looks clearly like a pay for beta and game perks.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

People are "misunderstanding" because it's the usual wailing about haves and have nots.

Let's face it, the game is completely free and PWI/Cryptic haven't seen a cent in returns on their investment yet. It makes absolute and perfect sense for them to now monetise something that will bring them early returns - beta access, headstart and founder items.

Either you want to pay for these things because you want cool stuff and/or to support the game, or you don't. How is it different to backing a game on Kickstarter?

Originally posted by XAPGames

Might want to pass that info along to the marketing people for Neverwinter Online.

"Begin your adventure to defend Neverwinter equipped with all the benefits of a Founder! Neverwinter Founders will receive exclusive in-game perks, guaranteed beta weekend access starting February 8, and much more! Want to be a the ultimate hero of Neverwinter? Check out the full features list."

No mention at all of support the game.  The pitch looks clearly like a pay for beta and game perks.

Well, I'll agree that their marketing folks should have pitched that a little better.

Originally posted by Vonatar

People are "misunderstanding" because it's the usual wailing about haves and have nots.

Let's face it, the game is completely free and PWI/Cryptic haven't seen a cent in returns on their investment yet. It makes absolute and perfect sense for them to now monetise something that will bring them early returns - beta access, headstart and founder items.

Either you want to pay for these things because you want cool stuff and/or to support the game, or you don't. How is it different to backing a game on Kickstarter?

It's no different at all in my opinion. I know most game have rather large dev costs and I can understand why they may want / need some early returns.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Well, I'll agree that their marketing folks should have pitched that a little better.

Maybe thats the best they could come up with, sometimes the simplest interpretion is not just correct, but the only interpretation possible. And, this is after all PWI.. if they'd tried to spin it in a different fashion, then they might have been open to accusations of lying etc, at least they are being up front about what they are offering, even if i don't agree with the principle.image

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

The Founders Pack is just another name for "investing without the possibility of any return".

The only reward you get is just mindless fluff, e.g., aesthetic cape, pet, costume, or forum title. When people purchase a Founders Pack, it's generally because they want to stand out. Pretty sad, really.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    A founder's pack is nothing more than a f2p game's version of a preorder with the incentives to go along with that.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    A founders pack or "collectors edition" is a IQ test of sorts, the more you pay for one the dumber you are.

I miss DAoC

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

Right now it is.

I'm starting to think in the next few years, we'll be seeing more and more "founder's" and closed beta packs, along with a big increase in kickstarter funding.  It'll become the norm.  Since F2P took away the initial purchase price, the companies need another form of revenue.  Guild Wars gave them the idea. 

But unlike GW, the companies can say they are still F2P since they aren't forcing people to buy but I'm guessing it'll come to a point where you have to buy a Founder's pack of some sort to be relevant in the game.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

If a company wants me to support their product then I would look at it as being an investor. I you want me to invest my money and interest in said product then pitch it to me from that basis. It is obvious to most that this is an attempt to take advantage of the hype of the game and take in some extra cash before launch. What they are offering for the amount of money spent does not make me want to spend my money on it. Now if they approached it from the "invest in the game" then it may have sat better with me.

I will sit this one out and wait probably until launch to see how the dust settles. I am a little discouraged with the vanity pet system being in a D&D world setting. I don't recall any characters from my Forgotten Realms games ever walking around with a cute vanity pet.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

Normally I would agree with you but that is not really what is happening.  There's a thread about this in game forum I frequent and many claim they only buy these packs to support the game because they believe in it and because these companies need to make money somehow.

Yet in some other thread about the founders pack peeps claim they want the items to be permanently exclusive, Many agree with this and this to me shows the hypocrisy and lie of it. These packs are more of an elitist thing where peeps want to be part of an exclusive club where peeps can only join it in a very time limted fashion.

Some few foundry buyers don't care if the items are sold in the cash shop at some point becuase THEY really are only trying to support the game and my hats off to them unfortuentely they are the small minority.

My idea is that every item in these packs should eventually be in the cash shop, that's just good business. If it's really about supporting the game what does it matter whether you buy these items in a "package deal" or piece by piece if you can't or don't want to buy the pack.

This way both groups get to "help support" the game in they way they feel able to.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.