Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoE or D3

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I'm interested in Path of Exile and Diablo 3, but I only have time for one game.  Which do you suggest?  What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Torchlight 2

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    PoE, its what D3 shud have been...thourchlight 2 is meh. I never really liked TL1 or 2

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

D3 is steadily losing players, all the major streamers and high end gamers have left and the recently added "dueling" has shown that any hopes of players having PVP is a pipedream of unbalanced Blizzard mess.

PoE is the game that everyone above has moved to because it has the look and feel of Diablo 2, which was leaps and bounds better than Diablo 3.

Neither game is perfect, but one costs $60 for something that most consider inferior and the other is completely free to play.  I enjoyed D3 for a while, but it's just no where near what it should have been considering it's predecessor.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Play both. PoE is F2P, and you can try D3 for free until level 20. The only thing you'll lose is a bit of free time. Plus there's no law stating you can't play multiple ARPGs.

Of course, the haterrific internet hipsters and bittervets here will undoubtedly tell you that D3 is bad for all the same reasons PoE is good (I know, it's stupid).

This site isn't a good place to come for advice on games, TBH. Sad but true.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Play both. PoE is F2P, and you can try D3 for free until level 20. The only thing you'll lose is a bit of free time. Plus there's no law stating you can't play multiple ARPGs.

Of course, the haterrific internet hipsters and bittervets here will undoubtedly tell you that D3 is bad for all the same reasons PoE is good (I know, it's stupid).

We "bittervets" say D3 is bad because it's horribly made.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by vigg2004

I'm interested in Path of Exile and Diablo 3, but I only have time for one game.  Which do you suggest?  What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

I've played both. D3 has much better production values and is a much more polished game in every way.  However...

Path of Exile is more fun. Yes, it is beta software at this point and it shows, but the character development options are really mind-bending when you think about it.  You have one of the best skill trees I've ever seen in an RPG. You also have all the armor and weapons that typically drop in these types of games. You also have skill gems (red, blue, and green). You also have support gems. You weapons and armor have gem slots, some of which are linked. This allows you to customize the skill gems your support gems.

There are Orbs that can be used to change the color of a gem slot, add a gem slot, convert a normal item to a magic item, convert a magic item to a rare item, add a new property to a magic item, change the magic properties on a magic item...

Oh man, the options are great. Path of Exile really provides a great character development experience.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Aconsar

Edit: Fuck it. It's not worth it anymore. Enjoy your baseless, idiotic hatred.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Considering everything he's saying is free.....you can't really go wrong with the advice...and he's right about the advice on games, even though his was good :P

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Torchlight 2

Ha, that wasn't a choice!

D3 is worth owning, but for free there is no risk trying PoE.  I felt that D3 felt more fluid and had a more compellng story.  But PoE has a big up-side for customization and long-term viability.  I say try PoE for free and if you get bored, try D3 instead.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

PoE.  Heard lots of good about it.  Other than the occasional server crash, but given the amount of response to the game that's not unexpected.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Aconsar

Edit: Fuck it. It's not worth it anymore. Enjoy your baseless, idiotic hatred.

Yup. The anti-Blizzard hipster dufus people can yell louder and more often than sane people. Just don't bother.

Oh, and I agree with your original post. Especially the try both part. 

• I can't really stand looking at PoE. The artwork is terrible and so are the animations. But in other ways it's probably more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 is.

I would suggest checking out Torchlight 2. While its graphics are super cartoony, at least it looks professionally done.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Axxar

I can't really stand looking at PoE. The artwork is terrible and so are the animations. But in other ways it's probably more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 is.

I would suggest checking out Torchlight 2. While its graphics are super cartoony, at least it looks professionally done.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this... The game has somewhat ok graphics but the aesthitic is so damn bland. Just can't look at it for too long.... The overlay minimap (and corner minimap) are horrid...

Of course everyone thinks this game is the second coming of christ because it is free...

I am no fan of D3 but at least it was visually appealing.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Depends a lot on what you are as a player. Not the best split but basically if I had to do some little list. Probably missed some points on either game but meh.

Diablo 3

• More casual friendly (the class you play isn't limited to build)
    • Amazing Polish and clean looking combat
    • RMA can make you some money on the side or net you gear a lot easier
    • Fewer lag issues (PoE Desync issues)
    • Less 'dark' though still good atmosphere

Path of Exile

• 6 Player Party (D3 only 4)
    • Much more skill customization
    • Amazing Passive Tree creating a large variety of builds and replayability of new characters
    • Much more hardcore limiting passive tree resets making planning important for characters.
    • Races
    • Challenge without extreme cheapness (dangers can in some part be planned for )
    • Hardcore deaths simply move character to default league
    • F2P completely. Cash shop perks mostly cosmetic with stash tabs
    • Interesting currency system for trading (if you don't like traditional AH to trade on)
    • Darker tone behind it
    • No bad story forcing itself down your throat.
    • End game Map system to change things up
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Wighty

I can't really stand looking at PoE. The artwork is terrible and so are the animations. But in other ways it's probably more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 is.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this... The game has somewhat ok graphics but the aesthitic is so damn bland. Just can't look at it for too long.... The overlay minimap (and corner minimap) are horrid...

Of course everyone thinks this game is the second coming of christ because it is free...

I honestly wasn't sure at first with path of exile but gave it a shot and don't regret it. Its one of those things you come to actually enjoy and find some appeal. Not the best but by far when it comes to abilities and other effects it can actually look pretty nice and at times quite amazing.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    PoE can play over and over while D3 can only run through it so many times before getting sick of it. D3's actual combat is fine it's just everything else that sucks lack of stat choices, skill limitations, poor itemisation which you don't have to worry about with PoE since they got all that right.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I've played both to death. They are both worth playing and I think the D3 hatred is a bit over the top and unreasonable.. but each to their own.

I could list all the features and give specific details.. but there's a starter edition for D3 and PoE is free. Just try them out yourself.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Wighty

And I love PoE's aethetics haha.  To each his own.  But I really am enjoying PoE.  I bougt tL2 and played the D3 beta and I can say PoE stands out by a lot.  It is a different experience than those titles and definitely worth looking into. As someone who played d2 for a long time I have finally found an arpg worth spending time in again

• tomato_kwantomato_kwan Member Posts: 44

D3 if you like to buy and sell gears with real money.

PoE if you like/liked diablo/diablo2.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

No harm in downloading PoE since it is free, but the game IMO is utter crap. It offers a few unique things, but don't fall for the "deep" complex crap....once you've gotten over the awe of what the passive skills look like, there is nothing complex about it.

There are no races...I don't know WTH that previous dude was listing off...

Only thing is you will need to play it to make your own judgment....don't listen to the people are leaving D3 to play it either, anyone moving from D3 at this time and point had already been done with D3.

I thank the gods that D3 is not PoE!!!!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Neither game is an MMO.
  • razzashrazzash Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Grinnz

No harm in downloading PoE since it is free, but the game IMO is utter crap. It offers a few unique things, but don't fall for the "deep" complex crap....once you've gotten over the awe of what the passive skills look like, there is nothing complex about it.

Only thing is you will need to play it to make your own judgment....don't listen to the people are leaving D3 to play it either, anyone moving from D3 at this time and point had already been done with D3.

By "races" he meant league events where you have to achieve given goal faster than any other players playing. Those are 1-3 hours long events.

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173

POE is free to play, so you can expect all f2p features there: poor graphics, terrible community, cash shop (nobody knows what they will put there later on)

Diablo3 cost a bit of money, but brings b2p features: good graphics, good community and story.

I suggest you try POE because its free, you may enjoy it, but if you will not, buy Diablo3.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

PoE.

Cause i say so. <3

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Grinnz

Played both for a long time, avid fan of the genre. Diablo 3 gets old very fast, the itemisation is uninspiring (read - total crap), and when a gear-focused game has bad gear, there is not much left, despite the excellent production values.  On the other hand, PoE has worse gameplay (for my taste) but seems to have the character development complexity people are expecting from an ARPG. Unfortunately, after you play extensively and screw up 2-3 characters, you realize that, despite of the huge passive tree, the valid paths to take for each class are very very limited in numbers. PoE seems great on paper. Both are good games, neither is actually very good.