Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well thanks to SAO I'm looking for a new MMO

OmenatiOmenati Member Posts: 6
Hey I'm looking for a new MMO. I just finished this anime called Sword Art Online and i'm not going to be unrealistic and ask for an MMO like a virtual MMO in a fictional anime, but it did respark my love for MMO's. Like many I played WoW and like many now I don't. I also played and reached end game level in Swtor and Gw2 but it just didn't hold my interest once I reached the level cap in both games. I'm pretty open to any suggestions, whether it's released or due for a 2013 release just to keep my eye on. Like I said open to all suggestions but something with an interesting combat system would be nice, I'm not sure if there's a term for what I mean but something not so easy and boring of like just auto-attacks, maybe not so gear based like WoW, and as far as pvp only thing I can compare to what I like is Dark Souls, like small battles to the death between 1-4 players. These are pretty specific but I guess they're more preferences than standards. But anyway all suggestions are appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    SAO! Yes yes YES! I've absolutely loved it. I hope they continue the anime. I've also been looking for a new MMORPG, but sadly nothing suits my needs out of what I've found... Absolutely nothing :(. The only upcoming one that I've heard of that may fit what I want is Black Desert Online, and it won't release in the USA for another few years.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Ugh, yeah you might be out of luck.  Mmorpg stories are falling behind and there is ZERO challenge to any of them.  Exciting battles to the death are non-existant from what I know.  Everything is spam 4 skills for 6 seconds and if you survive then just get insta-healed and do it all over again.  Stupid.

Have you looked in to Ni no Kuni for the PS3?  It's single player but I heard it's got some challenge to it and is quite a surpise actually.

I'm going to pick it up this week.  Other than that I've found a lot of what you're looking for in single player RPG's going all the way back to PS1 titles.

• OmenatiOmenati Member Posts: 6
    Thanks guys. Hopefully I find something soon.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Loved SAO.

That said, hmm, TERA.

I'll check it out.
    I do plan on reading the light novel. Just also want to play a new MMO.
  • CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

SOA made me love MMO again!!

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Man, if something like SAO was made available in the real world, I (and many others) would probably die from playing it too much. It doesn't matter if it's horribly grindy, I'd find it hard to believe that you would get tired of kicking mob butts when it feels like you're using an enhanced version of your own body to fight.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Maybe Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine would be a good fit as an MMORPG.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Have you tried out Wizardry Online? There's even a SAO union (guild) made up of fans of the TV show.

http://wizardrythegame.com

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I felt the same way after watching SAO :)

Im keeping my eyes on Phantasy Star Online 2, check it out :)

I checked out Wizardry and just got a little into the tutorial so I guess I can't judge it so far. I'll read into PSO2 and Imagine. Thanks guys.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I'm trying out wizardry online because of dark souls and sword art online.

It's no were near sword art online but it's the closest thing we have from perma death, pvp (Better say pks most of the times) and tough dungeons in my opinion.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    while playing Age of Wushu, someone told me about sao lastweek. they said it reminded them sao. because of that, i plan to check out sao when i have time
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    try 3DS Fire Emblem Awakening. Its not an MMO but there is permadeath. As the story unfolds, you have to lead your friends into battle and risk losing them. Just like tackling the dungeons in SAO. A wrong mistake could cause yr friends life. :)
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Get Age of Conan, make a char on Deathwish/Rage Servers with Blood&Glory ruleset. Prepare for tons of hardcore pvp fun.

Forget the rest and thank me later.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

now u shall despark your wanting to play mmos with the pay to win trash out there with zero skill complete gearfests

hallo ~_~

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    SAO was a great anime. The virual world presented there actually harken me back to my UO days a little. I swear every new mmorpg developer should be forced to watch SAO before they even think about making a new mmo. Not saying that I want a anime virtual world inspired by SAO verbatim (although that would be nice!image). But the sheer number of ideas and inspiration some devs could draw from their experiences after watching SAO could go a long way in correcting the mindset that has long been poluted by dreams of potential monetary gains instead of potential long term players.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Its sad how an anime can get it right, somone who isn't in the gaming industry created a gamers masterpiece. Yet the actual gaming studios are still playing dumb. 

As for finding an MMO akin to SAO. Right now I think the closest would be TERA because of the combat. Later on you might want to take a look at ArcheAge and possibly Black Desert.

The thing that SAO did well was how community driven it was and how difficult. We haven't had a game like that in a long time, where the entire community needs to try and work together to progress the game further on. 

/sigh I wish we could get SAO. . . BRING ME VIRTUAL REALITY NAOW!#$@#!

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Couldn't agree more Ramonski
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I enjoy alot of anime, and SAO is one where I have regularly rewatched (ep1-12) again and again, if you haven't seen SAO yet, be prepared for ep 3 and 4 for a mega crit of 'DA FEELZ' and a complete redefining of Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer. Forever changed that for me, but I'm definitely ok with it. Probably next christmas going to be weird how I may have to excuse myself when people start singing it, lol.

That said, yes, it's amazing how well SAO tapped into the hearts and minds of what MMO Gamers really crave, even though the premise was so dark, that we would actually consider playing it. They really do know us better than our developers, or is it they are choosing to go where devs fear?

• LE4u5LE4u5 Member Posts: 6
    loved SAO. you should check out Black Desert :
  • DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103

The dungeon crawling aspect of sao reminded of wizardry online.

They are also releasing an sao game, to bad it's not an mmo :/

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I recommend watching the .hack series and playing through the PS2 games. Single player, but they make the world look like an MMO and would probably be the closest thing to SAO.