Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do MMO Players Really Feel That the Story Should Revolve Around Them?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

A good professional produced story gives a nice excuse for killing stuff. Much better than ... oh .. i need to level, so let's go grind mobs.

I think the idea is that you make your own reasons to kill mobs without the story.

Most of my LOTRO time was spent wandering the land and simply killing mobs and trying to avoid the quests as I had my own agenda and tried to play it more like an elder scrolls game.

Though at the same time I think there is a certain type of fun to be had by a specific demographic of people who are offered a world and then what fun they have is up to them.

This is not to say I don't like story but I find the start used in morrowind where you got a popup stating "ok, there is a tavern on the left and otherwise you are on your own; good luck!" very compelling.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

A good professional produced story gives a nice excuse for killing stuff. Much better than ... oh .. i need to level, so let's go grind mobs.

I think the idea is that you make your own reasons to kill mobs without the story.

That is the point. There is NO reason to kill mobs except to level and get loot. Whatever imaginery reason you cook up for yourself, does not interact with the context of the game world. You can imagine a orc killed you imaginary in-game father, and thus you are on a revenge rampage .. but no NPC will ever recognize that fact.

And for most gamers, MMOs are just games. They are not going to spend a second writing back stories. And their only interests is progression.

And it is much more boring to grind mob A because it is the most efficient, then questing all over the place because each quest gives me different mobs to kill. So at least there is variations.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I played EVE for almost 4 years, and in that entire time I can tell you there's 4 player races and each has some core creed behind them. That's as much of the storyline as I know.

However, in that time I read about the exploits of various players, heroes and viliians, tyrants and despots in many cases, and I loved the fact the stories were about the players, the player corps and the alliances.  Goonswarm, BOB, Northern Coalition, TEST, I fought with and against many of them, I was in fact an active participant even though I never acheived any real personal glory or recogition. (but the opportunity was there, if only I didn't have this damn day job)

That is the real story/lore that I want in my MMORPGs, not some artificial construct made up by Developers.

/Round of applause

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

Just ax the story driven junk and put in a alignment system that changes all factions view of my character based on my actions I choose to do. This way if i want to role play a advanced master crafter, who can make better weapons and on rare occasion make weapons not even in the recipes list, I can choose to do so. Also, if i dislike like my own NPC faction i can slowly work against them or just walk away and become neutral if I like.

Alignment in a fantasy world could also allow you to be blessed by certain deitys who are of the same alignment, it would open new classes and abilitys/feats. this is all basic dungeon and dragons stuff here and it has worked.

Cut-scenes with quest NPCs are the largest waste of development resources ever in my opinion. IF they intend to have scripted cut-scenes for class storys, then resources for that would be fine, just allow alignment in those class storys to make sense.

Not everyone wants to be a Hero.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It is hilarious and ironic to see a thread asking 'should an MMO game revolve around your character?' and see so many posts on saying 'The MMO game should revolve around what I want! And I want for the MMO game to NOT revolve around my character!'.

I am an MMO player and yes, for me, the whole MMO story should revolve around my character.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Most video game story lines are pretty bad, just see what happens when a video game is adapted to a movie.  The story is pretty much retarded every time.  MMORPG's invariably have worse stories than single player games because MMORPG's need to come up with reasons why you need to kill 10 wolves all the time.  I cannot recall ever having played an MMORPG that had a decent story line.  The best MMORPG's focus on creating a background rather than a storyline and let players make their own story.  There is a reason why people that don't even play EVE still enjoy reading about the happenings. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It doesn't make a difference to me if I'm the hero or not.  I've had fun doing both.  I'm perfectly fine playing Skyrim as an orc blacksmith and selling items I make with really no point other than just live out my meager existence lol (this character has more hours on it than any other haha).  I've also been the hero in many other games, or the anti-hero, it's all good.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by jpnz

It is hilarious and ironic to see a thread asking 'should an MMO game revolve around your character?' and see so many posts on saying 'The MMO game should revolve around what I want! And I want for the MMO game to NOT revolve around my character!'.

I am an MMO player and yes, for me, the whole MMO story should revolve around my character.

A lot of people find it pointless, seeing as how the story revolves around *EVERY* character.  You're going to save the world?  So is everyone else!  Big deal!

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Cephus404

A lot of people find it pointless, seeing as how the story revolves around *EVERY* character.  You're going to save the world?  So is everyone else!  Big deal!

And this is different from any other game?

A lot of people apparently do find some point in it since WoW is still the 'sub-number-king' and EVE still can't break 500k subs.

Speaking from my perspective, yes, I want to save the world.

Are the thousands of others going to? Maybe. Why do I care?

I just care that this plot seems to revolve around my character.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• rawwraww Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Probably 99% of games ever made, including MMOs, have revolved around a player hero.  It's the exact opposite of a new trend.

Moo

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by jpnz

Exactly. Why on Earth would I want to play an MMO where everyone is Superman? Pointless, indeed.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I could care less about the story in an mmorpg. All I want is a fun sandbox or sandpark to play that keeps me entertained and having fun with other likeminded people. If I wanted story, I'd read a book or watch a movie. I couldn't give S*&%$ about story in an mmo. I play Mmorpg's for the interaction with people from all over the world.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by fat_taddler

... I may be in the minority here but I prefer to be a citizen of the world where cool stuff is happening that I can take part in but I certainly don't need to have my ego stroked regularly through personal stories and phased quests that declare me to be some great hero.

But that's what the millions like. You already said it: you (and me!) are in the minority here.

The mainstream studios make games for the mainstream, they don't make games for "MMO players", they make games for a mass market. The mainstream player plays an MMO today and something completely different tomorrow - but that doesn't matter as long as they buy the games.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I really don't care whether my avatar is the hero to save the world as long as there's a story and its a good one. I've played tons of games where I am merely playing along with some NPC as the protagonist. I could easily play a follower, and think so would anyone else. Its not about stroking anyone's ego its about the story. The story!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    It ticks me off actually.  I'm sick of the "you are a hero" story telling.  I just want to be a butt fuck nobody warrior that bashes skulls in, perhaps a few towns know of my name for my hammer swinging skills...but as for being a world saving hero..that shit's getting old 

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I don't care if the game is centered around me at all in an mmo.  If I was allowed to pick, I would have a world based solely around dynamic event chains, where you can take part with what is happening, not play out a storyline.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Honestly I do not need to be the Hero. I kind of like when the story starts out and I am not destined for great things but rather it seems I have just stumbled into such a role. As most very good fantasy books start out as well. The formula to be chosen as a hero right away is getting old in games.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

I played EVE for almost 4 years, and in that entire time I can tell you there's 4 player races and each has some core creed behind them. That's as much of the storyline as I know.

However, in that time I read about the exploits of various players, heroes and viliians, tyrants and despots in many cases, and I loved the fact the stories were about the players, the player corps and the alliances.  Goonswarm, BOB, Northern Coalition, TEST, I fought with and against many of them, I was in fact an active participant even though I never acheived any real personal glory or recogition. (but the opportunity was there, if only I didn't have this damn day job)

That is the real story/lore that I want in my MMORPGs, not some artificial construct made up by Developers.

You think Eve is the only game with stories like that?

Please...

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Please...

Did he say EVE is the only game like that? Weirdo.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Please...

Where in his post did he say EVE was the only game that can provide that kind of experience?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

Where in his post did he say EVE was the only game that can provide that kind of experience?

Point is: Almost any PvP game has stories like that.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I liked the rogh concept of "phasing" when it was introduced in Wrath of the Lich King, but not from a "I'm the hero" standpoint.  I enjoyed it more from a "progression of historical game lore" perspective, because it was enjoyable to travel through an area that I had watched transform from a hostile environment to one filled with new structures and allies.

I guess if people go into it with a "stroking the ego" mentality, then there is something being lost in the translation, either due to the story teller, or from a narrow mind set of the player.

I'm not opposed to another MMO borrowing a concept like Phasing as long as the delivery and approach are unique, but if it's just a "Plug Feature X into Formula A for Proven Commercial Success"--- well, then I'd have to say I'm not entirely surprised that it's more of the "Same Ol' Thing".  However, I'd be a bit disappointed that people with the funds and talent to create something fresh would waste their time on such drivel.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Maybe I'm old school, but when I play an MMO I just want to be in that world.  I want to create my own story.  I dont want scripted this or that, I'm the hero of this or that (unless I feel I've earned it, earn it)

I've always just prefered the MMO's (which are are) that let me 'live' in the game world not feel like I'm the narrator of a book.

/shrug  Meh...

edit: noticed my "Brick" moment.. but leaving it in there lol

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Uncle Owen died a horrible death. I don't want to be Uncle Owen.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Point is: Almost any PvP game has stories like that.

Naw, you won't get stories like that from LOL or some other small scale PVP model.

Legends are built from legendary games, DAOC, Lineage 1, 2, EVE of course, even Darkfall.

Guess you know what sort of titles I favor.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon