Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another failure of a MMO brought to us by Marvel.

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Eleonel

I agree with the above post 100%, MUA was my favorite console game and Legends my favorite psp game. If this game is anything like it, which it looks to be, it will be epic. However,  I see some nit pickers on here complain about a few things that don't make sense.

1st - No character creation!!? Uhm, no idiots (I meant it in a nice way). It's a MARVEL game, why would they want you to create a totally random character in that universe for no good reason, there are so many characters in that universe to play and haven't even seen the light of day. Not to mention so many character archs and histroy to draw from. Add a whole bunch of random wannabe's into that and you get a bad story that won't be submersive because they'd have to generalize it for the thousands of players or not include you in it. I'm so glad Marvel had the balls to say no to what every mmo tries to do and make it all about them! I'm just getting started, hold up!

Most of the people who complain about no character creation, will go and create a Spiderman, Thor, Wolverine wannabe anyway!  Will the real slim shady please stand up? ughh...Only a few of you actually sit down and try to come up with something unique. Sure I love the idea of coming up with my backstory and creating a character from scratch, but I can play superhero mmo's like champions online for that. My main problem with DCUO is that I wanted to play Superman but had to create a kncok off instead. (With ice powers?) That $hit cray! See, even with a game with customization, you will not always get what you want. It's DCUO, why can't I be one of the many different Supermans they have? Or Batmans (BEYOND would have been awesome!!!). Do you expect to play a created character when you start playing Arkham Asylum? No, it's all about being Batman, you know his strengths, weaknesses, backstory, you don't have to play a nobody. Not to mention that when pvp is added to Marvel Heroes, because I know it will, you shouldn't be mad at all the Spidey's running around as long as you're the best. :) Compete to be the best Spidey? Isn't that more fulfilling than being the best sidekick6969?

I may be wrong and I'm open to opinions but I think a game like this will stomp DCUO because there is factual stories from the comics and actual heroes with a background being played. Besides, you get to spec into the powers you want and select your costumes so there will be diversity. one Storm might specialize in wind push back abilities while the other stuns you with lightning. (bad example but you get it) Like I said, there will be many copies but only one can triumph. :)

2nd - No open world!? My answer to that is play MUA. Tell me if it took away from the exploration or gaming experience. I rather have 10 detailed decently sized levels like the ones we've seen than going to Deepholm and questing in WoW. Sorry but it's just too much land for no reason, too many useless grinding and random quests. I rather have a focused story with cutscenes. The only thing I don't like is that levels are chosen at random, I hope you get to choose them in endgame just cuz you feel like going to Jurassic Park or w.e that level is called, you know what I meant...

Yeah.

1) I also think it is going to be good to actually play spiderman and ironman. I actually made an ironman look alike in DCUO .. and i would much rather playing the real one. No one says you have to design your own character in every RPG. In lots of Japanese RPG, you don't even get to pick your name.

2) Not every game needs an open world. I don't see how an open world can add significantly to this kind of super hero small group adventure. In fact, it would be odd to see 100 super heroes in a big war. It is much more conforming to lore to see a few heroes against hordes of enemies, and a few bosses.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I agree with the above post 100%, MUA was my favorite console game and Legends my favorite psp game. If this game is anything like it, which it looks to be, it will be epic. However,  I see some nit pickers on here complain about a few things that don't make sense.

1st - No character creation!!? Uhm, no idiots (I meant it in a nice way). It's a MARVEL game, why would they want you to create a totally random character in that universe for no good reason, there are so many characters in that universe to play and haven't even seen the light of day. Not to mention so many character archs and histroy to draw from. Add a whole bunch of random wannabe's into that and you get a bad story that won't be submersive because they'd have to generalize it for the thousands of players or not include you in it. I'm so glad Marvel had the balls to say no to what every mmo tries to do and make it all about them! I'm just getting started, hold up!

Most of the people who complain about no character creation, will go and create a Spiderman, Thor, Wolverine wannabe anyway!  Will the real slim shady please stand up? ughh...Only a few of you actually sit down and try to come up with something unique. Sure I love the idea of coming up with my backstory and creating a character from scratch, but I can play superhero mmo's like champions online for that. My main problem with DCUO is that I wanted to play Superman but had to create a kncok off instead. (With ice powers?) That $hit cray! See, even with a game with customization, you will not always get what you want. It's DCUO, why can't I be one of the many different Supermans they have? Or Batmans (BEYOND would have been awesome!!!). Do you expect to play a created character when you start playing Arkham Asylum? No, it's all about being Batman, you know his strengths, weaknesses, backstory, you don't have to play a nobody. Not to mention that when pvp is added to Marvel Heroes, because I know it will, you shouldn't be mad at all the Spidey's running around as long as you're the best. :) Compete to be the best Spidey? Isn't that more fulfilling than being the best sidekick6969?

I may be wrong and I'm open to opinions but I think a game like this will stomp DCUO because there is factual stories from the comics and actual heroes with a background being played. Besides, you get to spec into the powers you want and select your costumes so there will be diversity. one Storm might specialize in wind push back abilities while the other stuns you with lightning. (bad example but you get it) Like I said, there will be many copies but only one can triumph. :)

2nd - No open world!? My answer to that is play MUA. Tell me if it took away from the exploration or gaming experience. I rather have 10 detailed decently sized levels like the ones we've seen than going to Deepholm and questing in WoW. Sorry but it's just too much land for no reason, too many useless grinding and random quests. I rather have a focused story with cutscenes. The only thing I don't like is that levels are chosen at random, I hope you get to choose them in endgame just cuz you feel like going to Jurassic Park or w.e that level is called, you know what I meant...

Yeah.

1) I also think it is going to be good to actually play spiderman and ironman. I actually made an ironman look alike in DCUO .. and i would much rather playing the real one. No one says you have to design your own character in every RPG. In lots of Japanese RPG, you don't even get to pick your name.

2) Not every game needs an open world. I don't see how an open world can add significantly to this kind of super hero small group adventure. In fact, it would be odd to see 100 super heroes in a big war. It is much more conforming to lore to see a few heroes against hordes of enemies, and a few bosses.

I don't think this game will be fun for me, I like open worlds with things to do in them

• EleonelEleonel Member Posts: 15

It's more like open levels, you still get to explore them and fly around. You know how you can't go and fly from Metropolis to Gotham in DCUO? I think that's how the levels will be set here, you won't be able to fly to these locations but once you're teleported there you can still explore. You might even get more area overall to explore when you add all the maps together. They already have like 5 or more and they must have a few others in the works.

Think of it this way, in DCUO you get to see Metropolis and Gotham, nice. In Marvel Heroes you get to see Hell's Kitchen, Dino Land(?), Avenger's Tower, Manhattan, The prison for naughty villains (name leaves me) and I bet a few more by the time the game is released. I think with new expansions they will add a few more areas to explore as well so if exploring is a main concern it won't be an issue. I guess if you want a big sandbox than this isn't for you though.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Failure?

I think the idea is great.

I'ts your typical Diablo clone with constantly adding new classes/content.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Failure?

I think the idea is great.

I'ts your typical Diablo clone with constantly adding new classes/content.

Plus playing as Marvel characters. That is a big plus.

It's more like open levels, you still get to explore them and fly around. You know how you can't go and fly from Metropolis to Gotham in DCUO? I think that's how the levels will be set here, you won't be able to fly to these locations but once you're teleported there you can still explore. You might even get more area overall to explore when you add all the maps together. They already have like 5 or more and they must have a few others in the works.

Think of it this way, in DCUO you get to see Metropolis and Gotham, nice. In Marvel Heroes you get to see Hell's Kitchen, Dino Land(?), Avenger's Tower, Manhattan, The prison for naughty villains (name leaves me) and I bet a few more by the time the game is released. I think with new expansions they will add a few more areas to explore as well so if exploring is a main concern it won't be an issue. I guess if you want a big sandbox than this isn't for you though.

Aren't they going to have random levels like Diablo?

Yeah they said something about random levels, I wish I knew more about Diablo gameplay as it would give me a great idea on what to expect but I don't.

From all the video's i saw the levels aren't exactly small and there are little instances you can access while in those levels.

They said someting about the same level changing around each time you enter it? In order to keep players from knowing where everything is in each level after they've played it through a few times.  

I'd have to look up the video where they mention this.

Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFW5JguKE1Y&feature=player_embedded

Go to the 7 minute mark, they talk a little about zones. But I hope some of you watch the whole video as a lot of questions will be answered. There are 4 parts to that video and that is the first, there is a lot of gameplay footage. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is with David Brevik who answers many questions. 

Yeah they said something about random levels, I wish I knew more about Diablo gameplay as it would give me a great idea on what to expect but I don't.

From all the video's i saw the levels aren't exactly small and there are little instances you can access while in those levels.

They said someting about the same level changing around each time you enter it? In order to keep players from knowing where everything is in each level after they've played it through a few times.  

I'd have to look up the video where they mention this.

Try Diablo 3. Some don't like it .. but i think it has great combat, and very diverse build variety. The game is very polished.

Have you played other isometric ARPG before? They are more or less the same ... quests are excuses to kill lots of stuff. The game is in progression, build, combat style, and getting items.

I am playing D3 and PoE now. Both are good in different ways. Torchlight 1 & 2 are also good entries although i like both D3 and PoE more than TL2.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

TL2 would be great if it had  closed online play.

At the moment is only decent :/

No sadly I haven't played any aarpg unless MUA and X-Men Legends are quialified as one. I've played wow soo long and had no time to look into any other games. I hear Diablo is fun and my friend enjoys the 3rd one a lot. I have no doubt I would enjoy that type of gameplay.

I just don't know how I feel about the clicking to move and attack in Marvel Heroes. Might take away from being able to move and attack at the same time cuz from what I see you can't do both? It's either move then attack or attack and then move. Not a big deal but just curious as to how it'll play out

I hope I get used to the clicking. I'll probably play it with my razor naga with 17 extra buttons on it, might not even need to use my key board if I find it more comfortable that way. 

No sadly I haven't played any aarpg unless MUA and X-Men Legends are quialified as one. I've played wow soo long and had no time to look into any other games. I hear Diablo is fun and my friend enjoys the 3rd one a lot. I have no doubt I would enjoy that type of gameplay.

I just don't know how I feel about the clicking to move and attack in Marvel Heroes. Might take away from being able to move and attack at the same time cuz from what I see you can't do both? It's either move then attack or attack and then move. Not a big deal but just curious as to how it'll play out

I hope I get used to the clicking. I'll probably play it with my razor naga with 17 extra buttons on it, might not even need to use my key board if I find it more comfortable that way. 

Move & attack at the same time is quite common in Diablo. Examples. In D3, the Barbarian has a whirlwind attack and you spin around and move over mobs to hurt them. The Wizard can kite by move, shoot, move, shoot. Now there are channeling attacks the requires you to stand around .. but not all attacks are like that.

I am sure MH will have both types of attacks.

BTW, i also played MUA & X-men Legends ... they do qualify and they are great games.