Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Livin storyline blog post

QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-living-story-in-guild-wars-2/

Sound super exciting. After all those years maybe we will have an mmo which actually changes over time.

Comments

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Even though I'm a fan of the game overall. They have totally lost me into buying the hype and vision their marketing spews. Whatever you read there, divide by 10 and then see if you are still excited.

Now the idea is very good and what they have brought to the table in GW2, some of this should become standard MMO fare, so that is good as well.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Now THIS is what we've been coming to expect with the "changing the world"... true, large (or small) scale permanence. This is... dare I say it... innovative to say the least.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    sounds like phasing quests in WoW(only it changes wether you participate or not).  closer to what was promised with DE's then they launched with though.  nothing revolutionary here.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

^ Wow, you did great. "Just like WoW", "ANet lied about DEs" and "nothing revolutionary", all in one post!  image

This is pretty much a modern version of in-game events old MMOs had. Certainly a welcome change.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Now THIS is what we've been coming to expect with the "changing the world"... true, large (or small) scale permanence. This is... dare I say it... innovative to say the least.

It's not really innovative, older MMOs used to do stuff like this all the time to progress the story of the game world. If anything they're reviving something that was lost in the rush to copy WoW for the last decade.

Given how ANet's blog posts and attempts to hype their game have been dangerously close to lying on several occasions though I'd recommend taking anything said with a pinch of salt. The events during the Karka patch were part of this same thing and look how lame they were...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by QSatu

Sound super exciting. After all those years maybe we will have an mmo which actually changes over time.

I'm still reserved on this one.

As per usual w/ Anet, I really like the idea behind what they're trying to do, but the implementation seems a bit lacking. I'm hoping this is just because it's the start of the event, but Anet is so unbelievably inconsistant w/ their updates it's hard to hold that hope.

Thing is, GW2 has been getting changed fairly regularly from Anet already. However, the presentation is such that it's difficult to appreciate it. So far the event plays out mostly like a bunch of NPCs telling about how unsettling things are, and how something's coming. However, we're long passed the days when text is enough to convey such a situation. The atmosphere needs to reinforce the story they're trying to tell, and at the moment it doesn't.

Originally posted by Alberel

It's not really innovative, older MMOs used to do stuff like this all the time to progress the story of the game world. If anything they're reviving something that was lost in the rush to copy WoW for the last decade.

Given how ANet's blog posts and attempts to hype their game have been dangerously close to lying on several occasions though I'd recommend taking anything said with a pinch of salt. The events during the Karka patch were part of this same thing and look how lame they were...

DId they now? I'd love to see examples simply because I'm not familiar with a lot of these games... it would be an interesting comparison.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by QSatu

I'm still reserved on this one.

As per usual w/ Anet, I really like the idea behind what they're trying to do, but the implementation seems a bit lacking. I'm hoping this is just because it's the start of the event, but Anet is so unbelievably inconsistant w/ their updates it's hard to hold that hope.

Thing is, GW2 has been getting changed fairly regularly from Anet already. However, the presentation is such that it's difficult to appreciate it. So far the event plays out mostly like a bunch of NPCs telling about how unsettling things are, and how something's coming. However, we're long passed the days when text is enough to convey such a situation. The atmosphere needs to reinforce the story they're trying to tell, and at the moment it doesn't.

That's by design from reading the blog. Right now it's in the "raise an eyebrow and wonder what's going on" phase. They said this part of the content could last a couple months with new things slowly being added... new buildings, outposts, NPCs... things that begin to lede into what's actually happening. 

This month, you’ll be playing through a light preamble, a teaser intended to whet your appetite for the rest of the story. This content will stick around for a couple months, so you have plenty of time to play it before it goes away, and we’ll be adding to it as well.

Threat from below... Destroyers? Karka? They said no dragon is involved but never said no minions... could be a dredge thing, could be something we've yet to be introduced to... I have to admit, I already have the achievement and went back to those zones yesterday just to see what was up.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I don't know about the next steps, but their opening to this amazing story was the most boring shit I've seen in a while.

Also it's still a preset story and players cannot change it in any way. For that to be possible, they would have to have a single server for all players or then allow diverging stories on different servers.

Originally posted by tom_gore

I don't know about the next steps, but their opening to this amazing story was the most boring shit I've seen in a while.

Because everything has to happen at once, right?

This month, you’ll be playing through a light preamble, a teaser intended to whet your appetite for the rest of the story. This content will stick around for a couple months, so you have plenty of time to play it before it goes away, and we’ll be adding to it as well.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Becau everything has to happen at once, right?

As I said, I don't know about the next stage, but why begin with something like that? If that's supposed to whet my appetite it's analoguous for putting a stale loaf of bread on the table in a restraurant to "whet my appetite".

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Also it's still a preset story and players cannot change it in any way. For that to be possible, they would have to have a single server for all players or then allow diverging stories on different servers.

No, it's a good pre-event. It makes the zones feel more living and the zones get explored by players that wouldn't go there normally and it's only a small update.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

No, it's a good pre-event. It makes the zones feel more living and the zones get explored by players that wouldn't go there normally and it's only a small update.

Once more. I'll reserve my judgement when they take the next step, but the start was definitely a letdown. An intern could have sone that in 2 days.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Scalpless

This is pretty much a modern version of in-game events old MMOs had. Certainly a welcome change.

Yep.

I love it. Brings a whole lot of spice and flavor to a game when things are constantly changing.

I'd rather have these frequent updates with small chunks of new game play than wait 6-7 months for a "mega-patch" or 12-14 months for a full blown expansion.

Still though - I feel like I'm STILL waiting for the kind of one time world events they had in Beta.

Like, I want to log in one day and see Lion's Arch on fire and overrun by baddies and spend my evening retaking the city.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Becau everything has to happen at once, right?

As I said, I don't know about the next stage, but why begin with something like that? If that's supposed to whet my appetite it's analoguous for putting a stale loaf of bread on the table in a restraurant to "whet my appetite".

Personally, I liked it. I went into those zones, saw a bunch of elementals dancing around and helped some refugees out. Al

This is not a game.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Yep.

I love it. Brings a whole lot of spice and flavor to a game when things are constantly changing.

I'd rather have these frequent updates with small chunks of new game play than wait 6-7 months for a "mega-patch" or 12-14 months for a full blown expansion.

Still though - I feel like I'm STILL waiting for the kind of one time world events they had in Beta.

Like, I want to log in one day and see Lion's Arch on fire and overrun by baddies and spend my evening retaking the city.

That was one of the reasons why I liked the Asheron's Call series as much as I did. In both games, they had evolving storylines that would play out over the course of months, and each part was delivered on a monthly basis. It's amazing how seemingly minor changes can have such a huge impact on a game. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I hope the devs play the villians like they did in older  MMOs when devs really played with their community.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.