Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Beta Keys Incoming

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by couponfork
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    I better get in first run considering I paid for the boxed copy back when the game was unplayable

Nice to see someone else realistic, be prepared to get torn a new one by the all the FF fanboys.

Remaking a game costs money.  If not for the people who stayed and financially supported the game, 2.0 might not be a reality.  SE could have done what other companies do.. either close up shop or go F2P.

SE isn't saying "FU" to the people who left.  It's just saying "Thank you" to the people who stayed and had faith in SE.  I'm sorry, but you're not entitled to anything just because you bought a game that was not up to your standards.  And admittedely, it was not up to anyones standards.

BTW, do you ask to see another movie because the one YOU bought SUCKED?!  And does a movie theater accommodate your demand? I think not.

Also, because you bought the game, 2.0 (even though it's a NEW game) will be an update for you, and will not require a new purchase.  You will also get one month free play time to determine whether it's worth staying or leaving.  That seems to be very fair, considering what you think you're "entitled to."

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    I better get in first run considering I paid for the boxed copy back when the game was unplayable

Nice to see someone else realistic, be prepared to get torn a new one by the all the FF fanboys.

That's okay, we are used to kids today and the I want it now! MEMEMEMEME crowd. And if defending a company for being nice to it's loyal customer is fanboyism, yea I guess I'm a fanboy.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I'm giving out free hugs and counseling for everyone that is crying about not getting into beta..

I can't wait for beta to start!  I'm ready..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

If you're butt hurt....

Remember a great quote from a very underrated movie (slightly modified)

"There's no CRYING in gaming!"

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I'm giving out free hugs and counseling for everyone that is crying about not getting into beta..

I can't wait for beta to start!  I'm ready..

Hi,

I will need a lot of those. The deception known as GW2 has left me with nothing to play. The MMO world is filled with nonsensical cash grabs, with everyone being coaxed into buying rather than playing. The EA empire is gaining ground and buying out all the companies that make good games and corrupt them with the power of the profits. Although we have great ideas, the playerbase is being ignored and corruption of quick profits has taken over most developpers and quality keeps on dying more and more every day.

Please, if you get in the beta, relay this message to SQEX :

"Help us SQEX! You are our only hope"

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Kind of ridiculous that not only did we have to purchase a complete piece of shit for a game but we had to subscribe to the peice of shit for 90 days for legacy status. I think the money I wasted just buying it should be good enough.

agreed! x2!

Thank god you think like that and hopefully don't play at all. FFXI was one of the best communities ever let's keep it like that for ffxiv also. What you call pos was main mmorpg for 2 years for few thousand of people who enjoyed playing instead of vomiting poison in forums.

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Kind of ridiculous that not only did we have to purchase a complete piece of shit for a game but we had to subscribe to the peice of shit for 90 days for legacy status. I think the money I wasted just buying it should be good enough.

agreed! x2!

Ok so you bought the game and it was crap. You knew that they got a whole new production staff, have heard about all the things they are doing to change the game. Then they ask for $9.99 a month to help fund the remake since they lost a huge amount of money on the release and, gosh, they can't magically conjur up money out of thin air! You chose not to help out in their endeavor to change the game from a piece of crap to something awesome and you're still getting the game for free with a free month of play, and you're complaining about not getting legacy status?

Deep down, he knows he's wrong given the forum response to his "WHAMMBULANCE."  But fear not, he will call us RAPID fanboys and sleep easy at night (or at least, try to).

Self-delusion is a helluva drug!

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Self-delusion is a helluva drug!

I thought Cocain was a helluva drug?

Originally posted by drivendawn

agreed! x2!

Ok so you bought the game and it was crap. You knew that they got a whole new production staff, have heard about all the things they are doing to change the game. Then they ask for $9.99 a month to help fund the remake since they lost a huge amount of money on the release and, gosh, they can't magically conjur up money out of thin air! You chose not to help out in their endeavor to change the game from a piece of crap to something awesome and you're still getting the game for free with a free month of play, and you're complaining about not getting legacy status?

Oh wow, what a stooge.

Hey look, that multi-million (if not billion) dollar company put out a shit product so we should give them money, because, POOOORRRRR THEM, they need some to remake the game so ONLY THEM will profit from it. That logic makes has absolutely no business sense. If they want investors, they better be ready to pay up. Obviously, that is unless they can get stooges to give their oh so unfortunate selves money.

Originally posted by neobahamut20

Oh wow, what a stooge.

Hey look, that multi-million (if not billion) dollar company put out a shit product so we should give them money, because, POOOORRRRR THEM, they need some to remake the game so ONLY THEM will profit from it. That logic makes has absolutely no business sense. If they want investors, they better be ready to pay up. Obviously, that is unless they can get stooges to give their oh so unfortunate selves money.

No one is saying Square Enix is poor, you're probably the first person to say that. The key point is simple:

Supply & Demand

For starters, SE is a company. OF COURSE they are in it for profit! When have games been a charity which give YOU money for playing them?

Their Logic DOES make business sense though, and assuming it doesn't just proves YOU have no business sense.

They could have easily just rolled over and gone belly up on the whole MMORPG. Closed it down, ended shop, and went home humilitated for their failure.

Instead, SE didnt want such a horrible stain to tarnish their image. So they fired the original crew, hired a new dev crew and released a battle plan which would cover 2 years of production until now, which would make the 3rd year of production.

But pouring in more money on ANOTHER and ENTIRELY different MMO was an expensive risk, even for a large company like SE who has been producing pretty much nothing by flops and horrible titles for years and years now.

So they created a campaign for players to show they WANTED a new MMO by giving SE more money. Yes it's silly, but it's kinda like Kickstarter. The Legacy Players showed their support and it won over SE to continue production. Players showed there was demand, now SE is supplying to meet that demand. Also, the current number of Legacy Players is already enough to compete with other profitably MMOs like Eve Online or Final Fantasy XI.

That's why they did what they did. Makes perfect sense. SE isn't poor, but they are losing money and wanted to see support for the title before proceeding as far as they have.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    bah-scrap the game-  make another  nice CGI movie= that intro film was EPIC!...would do well in theaters!
  • The game aint worth it at all.
    Originally posted by TemperHoof

Oh wow, what a stooge.

No one is saying Square Enix is poor, you're probably the first person to say that. The key point is simple:

Supply & Demand

For starters, SE is a company. OF COURSE they are in it for profit! When have games been a charity which give YOU money for playing them?

Their Logic DOES make business sense though, and assuming it doesn't just proves YOU have no business sense.

They could have easily just rolled over and gone belly up on the whole MMORPG. Closed it down, ended shop, and went home humilitated for their failure.

Instead, SE didnt want such a horrible stain to tarnish their image. So they fired the original crew, hired a new dev crew and released a battle plan which would cover 2 years of production until now, which would make the 3rd year of production.

But pouring in more money on ANOTHER and ENTIRELY different MMO was an expensive risk, even for a large company like SE who has been producing pretty much nothing by flops and horrible titles for years and years now.

So they created a campaign for players to show they WANTED a new MMO by giving SE more money. Yes it's silly, but it's kinda like Kickstarter. The Legacy Players showed their support and it won over SE to continue production. Players showed there was demand, now SE is supplying to meet that demand. Also, the current number of Legacy Players is already enough to compete with other profitably MMOs like Eve Online or Final Fantasy XI.

That's why they did what they did. Makes perfect sense. SE isn't poor, but they are losing money and wanted to see support for the title before proceeding as far as they have.

Reading comprehension 101: I wasnt talking about SE's business sense, In fact, my last sentence praises their marketting. I was talking about the one of those who gave them money as an investment where they will get 0 ROI. Learn to read, then respond.

Supply and demand isn't tested by asking people to pay for a non-existent products. I would like to see condo builders ask for money so they can build a condo, then, they tell the investor they get 0$ off of the sale of the condos. Would love to see how well that goes.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    i would love to test it, but it seems that there are no traces any european countries in the sign up, i guess we will have to wait for it.

Supply and demand isn't tested by asking people to pay for a non-existent products.

Check out: Kickstarter.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Sovrath

That's a backwards way of looking at it.

It's not there for people to pony up 90 days of sub money. It's for people who stuck with the game for 90+ days.

Your purchasing a "piece of shit for a game" is on you for not waiting around for reviews, opinions, etc. It's sad that it wasn't great but that's what happens when people jump in.

for those who did stick with the game they get a "thank you".

Exactly.

It's more of an admission that they screwed up big time than you will probably ever see SE give. They don't like to admit they were wrong. This is a way of saying "Oh my god we are so sorry please come back we fixed it promise!."

WTF are you smoking? SquareEnix has numerous times apologized and admitted they were wrong with FFXIV. You seem to be dellusional. They apologized more than we can expect any significant Western game company to do. You seem to be mixing up EA Bioware with SquareEnix. 

• RyvellaRyvella Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Varthander
    i would love to test it, but it seems that there are no traces any european countries in the sign up, i guess we will have to wait for it.

http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu 

Supply and demand isn't tested by asking people to pay for a non-existent products.

However, the essense of the site remains that it is in no way a test of the offer and demand for a product. Sure, 0$ in donations speaks for itself, however, in most cases, the demand is there already and in reality people prepurchase the product. Doing otherwise is ridiculous.

FFXIV had people buy their product, then they asked for more money so they could create a new product to replace the one their fans originally bought which was way below promises and expectations. That is beyond pathetic, however, I did not originally purchase so I am awaiting ARR which seems to be more like the kind of game I'd be interested to play. The box sale alone should make for enough of an investment.

However, the essense of the site remains that it is in no way a test of the offer and demand for a product. Sure, 0$ in donations speaks for itself, however, in most cases, the demand is there already and in reality people prepurchase the product. Doing otherwise is ridiculous.

FFXIV had people buy their product, then they asked for more money so they could create a new product to replace the one their fans originally bought which was way below promises and expectations. That is beyond pathetic, however, I did not originally purchase so I am awaiting ARR which seems to be more like the kind of game I'd be interested to play. The box sale alone should make enough of an investment.

Do you know how much of the extra costs for remaking FFXIV were paid by SquareEnix themselves and not though the fans?

FFXIV had people buy their product, then they asked for more money so they could create a new product to replace the one their fans originally bought which was way below promises and expectations. That is beyond pathetic, however, I did not originally purchase so I am awaiting ARR which seems to be more like the kind of game I'd be interested to play. The box sale alone should make enough of an investment.

SquareEnix released, what they felt, was a ready and finished product on September 2010. It sold several copies simply because of its namesake alone.

Not long after, reviews showed that the game was horrible. The public outcry was heard and SquareEnix refunded money to those who asked for it and made the game Free to Play for over a year.

In order to save-face, they decided to hire a brand new team of developers during the Free to Play term. Then after a FULL YEAR OF FREE TO PLAY they asked for people who STILL PLAYED the game to invest in the upcoming title. They rewarded the fans of the franchise with Legacy Status.

They did not force them to pay, no. The players who wanted to see a better Final Fantasy XIV gladly paid what they felt they owed. SquareEnix DID NOT HAVE TO GO FREE TO PLAY FOR ONE YEAR, no. They did anyway, as an apology. They did it so them asking for people to subscribe for just a few months wouldn't be pathetic at al.

I already played A Realm Reborn. My stance on this is not out of uninformed assumption. The new game is actually really good and shows just how much work the new team has put in.

Nothing SquareEnix has done to make up for Final Fantas XIV 1.0 sucking hasn't once been pathetic. They could have done far worse things. Like taken everyone's money who bought a box, ran the game for two months, then closed down and kept the money without offering refunds.

You can say it's pathetic, but it's not. All  isee is someone just trying to make an argument from something that isn't there.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    how do i know if i made legacy status?
    Follow the link in the main post to your SE Account Manager. Check your Services and for Final Fantasy XIV and look for the Legacy icon.
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Do you know how much of the extra costs for remaking FFXIV were paid by SquareEnix themselves and not though the fans?

[mod edit]

It is a relevant point, it is far worse if they paid nothing themselves and demanded all the money to be caught up by the fans.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Follow the link in the main post to your SE Account Manager. Check your Services and for Final Fantasy XIV and look for the Legacy icon.

thanks for the info.  i don't see any kind of icon so i am guessing i didn't play it for 90 days....bummer. i know it was close.

[mod edit]

*LAUGHS*

Get outta here. So far you're just hangin' round given me reason to warm up my fingers before  I do some serious writing on my articles. There are plenty of facts about the game here on MMORPG.com in columns and on the FFXIV forums. Check the Twitter page, the facebook page, the loadstone, check um all. Do some homework.

I PLAYED the NEW game. I KNOW it's a good game and I enjoyed it a good deal and look forward to Beta. You are welcome to play it upon release, until then everything you say, write, and do will be forgotten as my colleagues I enjoy the game we helped support.

I wouldn't even be here if the game wasn't good. I don't support games I THINK will be fun to play.