Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: All Aboard!

Comments

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I have been saying pass on this game so far, but I will give it a chance.

I'm going to leave this one up to the community.

If the community can convince me to come play a month or two after launch, and the community is still growing at that point, then I will give it a shot.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• MuffloMufflo Member Posts: 30

Aw, and I was so hyped and all... This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sv160bre2og

Actually convinced me not to pre-order the game. The customization sounds great, but effects look shabby for todays AAA, the only thing that doesn't seem to be anything combat-ish is how npc villagers thank you for doing combat close to their town. 

WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE COMBAT? Why can't I just roll a villager making the best damn apple-pies in town? *rage*

Now the cg-trailer does look nice, fun and interesting. The three-way of pvp seem more popular these days, and the is fine and all. The gameplay stuff you find on youtube though isn't all too fancy, though I won't blame them, putting all this together and trying to amuse fans from both TES and mmo communitys might be more than they can pull off. At least it will be going down into the MMO-history books for being brave. 

I truly hope however that I will be able to spec in full stealth ninja one-shot-kill or a mage-3shot-sniper :DDD

The sylvari ordered Rice n chicken in a bar. The waiter asked him: "exploded or intact?" He angrily answered: "Intact of course! Do you take me for a fool?"

Those were his last words.

• NedeljskiH60NedeljskiH60 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I really like that it is going to be voice-acting :) I hope I will get beta to try the game:)
  • FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I really like TES.. if they can keep the free roam sandbox type feel I'll be happy.  I also hope they can keep player housing, I enjoy it in TES games and Fallout 3.  I was looking forward to it in GW2 and they kinda dropped the ball on it.
  • SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Color me interested in 3-way PvP fighting. I'm also very interested in more sand-box gaming.   I will not play another themepark PvE centric MMO ever again.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

The things that build my limited interest in TESO are few.  Matt Firor's involvement, and the fact that there is an actual attempt to convert some essence of Elder Scrolls into a MMORPG and catapult it into the MMO-sphere has piqued my interest, but I'm wary of plunking cash down for another clone of a formulaic MMO.

I was inducted very late into the SWTOR beta experience, so I missed out on high level content and all of the issues that entailed.  I contented myself at the time with NOT reading what other beta players were experiencing, because I wanted MY experience to be fresh and untainted by soured opinions.  Sadly, I saw what a mistake that was.  I would have known about all of the supposedly "known issues" (AKA bugs and crashes) as they related to raiding and piss-poor customer service.

This time around, there just isn't enough VERIFIED, eye-popping "I really want to get my hands on this game and try that out" content or features being demonstrated for me to bother with a pre-order, much less jump on any "hype-train" with blinders on.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by FistyMayhem

I really like TES.. if they can keep the free roam sandbox type feel I'll be happy.  I also hope they can keep player housing, I enjoy it in TES games and Fallout 3.  I was looking forward to it in GW2 and they kinda dropped the ball on it.

No player housing (It's too hard, acc to the devs), faction locked races, and race/faction locked 2/3 of the game world. All of that will be in TESO and was not in any of the ES SPGs. That is why many ES SPG fans are among the biggest critics of what is being done with TESO.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Burntvet

No player housing (It's too hard, acc to the devs), faction locked races, and race/faction locked 2/3 of the game world. All of that will be in TESO and was not in any of the ES SPGs. That is why many ES SPG fans are among the biggest critics of what is being done with TESO.

Do the SP TES games have a large majority of Tamriel world there for the players to explore? Nope. Thats why I dont care. And faction locked races is done to keep some balance. Is it perfect? No but its there and its going to keep it more fair for all players.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I'm still very skeptical about this game. The Elder Scrolls has always been about freedom of player choice above all else. Locking races to factions throws this out the window. I'll try the game and I've signed up for the Beta but my expectations are extremely low for this one. I have absolutely zero hype for TESO right now. The game itself may change my mind however whenever I finally get to actually play it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    So many sourpusses on this site.  I found the cinematic quite entertaining and I enjoyed it for what it is and not upset that it wasn't a frakking gameplay video.  You guys really need to loosen your sphincters every once in a while.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Do the SP TES games have a large majority of Tamriel world there for the players to explore? Nope. Thats why I dont care. And faction locked races is done to keep some balance. Is it perfect? No but its there and its going to keep it more fair for all players.

I never experienced not being able to go anywhere based on race or faction in any ES game. Also, as been mentioned many times before ES games are at their core about choice: playing the way you want to. With race/class locked factions and faction locked areas, there are fewer choices, and intentionally designed that way. Oh, and lots of other stuff not in there because the devs say: "It's too hard." Yeah.........

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22

the Repopulation and TESO are the only up and coming mmos I am looking forward to.  I wouldn't expect TESO to

satisfy my crafting needs however.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by FromHell

I think this will be a very solid title. Looking forward to the beta :)

I have concerns about this megaserver thing and phased story lines (please don't over do them and make it like swtor)

But I'm looking forwards to trying out the beta and making my own mind up.

Errm, "don´t overdo it like SWTOR" ?

SWTOR neither has single server tech like TSW and TESO, nor does anything you do affect your gameworld by phasing.

By reading the bullet points, TESO will be far, far ahead of SWTOR in all departments.

SWTOR is phased to hell and back, thats what all them little red doors you cant enter are.

Well..NO..Those are instances for your characthers main story. No one without those quests can enter unless you are in a group with you.

Phasing is when the world alters specifically for things YOUR characther did, burn down a village or steal some cows ..So..When another characther comes along, he doesnt see the burnt down village or the escaped cow's until he has done the same quests.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Im staying neutral til the end, the cinimatic looked great!, and like OP said CG's are mostly ment to drum up excitment for peeps that dont do a lot of digging on a game.

I found these 2 videos to be helpful..for me at least

Im not holding my breath or getting overly excited til the doors open (so to speak), but I will be keeping an eye on ESO til then.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Actually I believe the first TES game (Arena) covered the full continent of Tamriel (but I could be wrong, Daggerfall only covered both High Rocks and Hammerfel).

Still, considering the sheer size of the games nowadays, it would take quite a bit of HDD space to host all of Tamriel with the quality and content presented by Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Also, not all countries will be accessible in TESO. They did mention at one point that they planned to use certain countries to release them as Expansions, so probably only 4 countries will be accessible to host the 3 factions.

And as far as the faction goes, they could very well have allowed players not to be forced into a faction, and enter a faction of their choice after reaching 'X' level (or enter no faction at all). This just really limits the races and classes available to players based on pre-made factions forced on the player upon character selection.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Vesavius

'Would I be as excited if it wasn't for the TES brand?'

SWTOR flashback?

Don't worry, doom prophet. The odds (as demonstrated by the last nine years) are indeed in your favor.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Icewhite

LOL..

I also feel this should be called something else. But you know what, they are betting on Es fans and mmo players to at least buy it, so they recoup some of the costs.. They better have A f2p option back-up plan because this mmo market is more frickle than years past.

I have a friend at work who is a gamer that loves Skyrim. He doesn't do a lot of research on games like most of us here do so I kinda look at him as an "Average Gamer". He came in the other day all excited because he had just heard about TESO and wanted to tell me all about it. I told him I had known about the game since the announcement some time ago and he asked why I wasn't as thrilled about it as he was. This is when I told him about faction locked races and the 3 faction PvP system. His enthusiasm was instantly squashed and his only comment was, "What the hell are they thinking?". This is going to be the average TES/Skyrim fan's reaction to TESO. The real issue is that the vast majority of them are going to have that reaction only after buying the game. I'm glad I saved my friend some money as he would have bought TESO on brand recognition alone. Many others out there won't be so lucky.

Oh I forgot to mention he is also an avid EVE Online player as well so he's no stranger to PvP so that isn't what put him off TESO. What did it is the fact that his character will be locked to a faction at character creation which goes against everything he knows about The Elder Scrolls series. His same reaction is what I expect from about 80%-90% of the TES fans out there.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Brenelael

I have a friend at work who is a gamer that loves Skyrim. He doesn't do a lot of research on games like most of us here do so I kinda look at him as an "Average Gamer". He came in the other day all excited because he had just heard about TESO and wanted to tell me all about it. I told him I had known about the game since the announcement some time ago and he asked why I wasn't as thrilled about it as he was. This is when I told him about faction locked races and the 3 faction PvP system. His enthusiasm was instantly squashed and his only comment was, "What the hell are they thinking?". This is going to be the average TES/Skyrim fan's reaction to TESO. The real issue is that the vast majority of them are going to have that reaction only after buying the game. I'm glad I saved my friend some money as he would have bought TESO on brand recognition alone. Many others out there won't be so lucky.

Oh I forgot to mention he is also an avid EVE Online player as well so he's no stranger to PvP so that isn't what put him off TESO. What did it is the fact that his character will be locked to a faction at character creation which goes against everything he knows about The Elder Scrolls series. His same reaction is what I expect from about 80%-90% of the TES fans out there.

Bren

I don't know if players will react to this at all, well obviously some do react to it , but I do think it's a minority.

You guys only react because You know there are larger lands to explore and the lands is off limits..Do you have any indication just HOW large one factions land is ? There may be tons of exploring in "your" lands..

And yeah,,It's also somewhat unrealistic, but what isn't in games. but on the other hand..war is war..No reason however that someone coudnt sneak over the borders, but ..Ohh well..They planned this so..

Just like the dev's want , this will probably extend the games live , people will play alts etc

If they truly wan't a DaoC PvP setting well then they got to have it like this..

Yes Yes..The Elder Scrolls has little or nothing to do with DaoC , but this is what the dev's planned for their game, bold move I agree ...But they might succeeed with this, they wíll anger a couple of Elder Scrolls fans, but no matter what they do they would have angered the fans.. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by thark

Bren

I don't know if players will react to this at all, well obviously some do react to it , but I do think it's a minority.

You guys only react because You know there are larger lands to explore and the lands is off limits..Do you have any indication just HOW large one factions land is ? There may be tons of exploring in "your" lands..

And yeah,,It's also somewhat unrealistic, but what isn't in games. but on the other hand..war is war..No reason however that someone coudnt sneak over the borders, but ..Ohh well..They planned this so..

Just like the dev's want , this will probably extend the games live , people will play alts etc

If they truly wan't a DaoC PvP setting well then they got to have it like this..

Yes Yes..The Elder Scrolls has little or nothing to do with DaoC , but this is what the dev's planned for their game, bold move I agree ...But they might succeeed with this, they wíll anger a couple of Elder Scrolls fans, but no matter what they do they would have angered the fans.. 

Actually, im with Bren on this, i don't see anything in ESO that would draw me to play it, i don't like the faction locks, i don't like that you are limited on the races you can play if you intend to play with friends, i don't like that the map is segregated which will force players into having to role alts in order to fully experience the game, which btw, totally rips the heart out of the so called faction pride or whatever,  before making this game so PVP centric, they should have made a TES game for the PVE part of it at least, and they didnt. So don't be too surprised if players like myself, and other TES fans decide to give ESO  damned good ignoring.  This is not a Bethesda game, and it really does show.image

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Phry

Bren

Actually, im with Bren on this, i don't see anything in ESO that would draw me to play it, i don't like the faction locks, i don't like that you are limited on the races you can play if you intend to play with friends, i don't like that the map is segregated which will force players into having to role alts in order to fully experience the game, which btw, totally rips the heart out of the so called faction pride or whatever,  before making this game so PVP centric, they should have made a TES game for the PVE part of it at least, and they didnt. So don't be too surprised if players like myself, and other TES fans decide to give ESO  damned good ignoring.  This is not a Bethesda game, and it really does show.image

I have to disagree it plays and feels just like Skyrim.  I also love the way they have the PvP setup, it is perfect.  I loved DAoC's style and this mimics it and it will give it the best on the market.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Bren

This is the issue right here. They are going for a DAoC setting and The Elder Scrolls has taken a back seat to this. Sure they are trying to jam as many TES mechanics into the game as possible as long as it doesn't go against the overall DAoC theme. This game may play sort of like an Elder Scrolls game but the overall feel will be 100% DAoC. Don't get me wrong as DAoC was a great game but it isn't TES by a long shot. This is the major issue that the majority of TES fans will be put off by.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Bren

Hate to bring up WoW:MoP,but the fact that they can give the player the ability to choose sides after a certainn level does say something. then again locking races/factions to one another could be part of a balancing mechanic too, im not a programmer or work in the industry so who knows....also lore wise the pairings make sense,for the most part.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow is a raid grinder with a side order of pointless mini game pvp

TESO has a rvr endgame

So its easier for wow to do that, it has no meaningfull impact.
    Wow is a raid grinder with a side order of pointless mini game pvp

TESO has a rvr endgame

So its easier for wow to do that, it has no meaningfull impact.

True