Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ability to vote on comments (a la reddit or youtube)

zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Have each comment start off at +1 and if it's gets upvoted above +1 then display it next to the comment.  If it gets downvoted below +1 then keep the score hidden from everyone including the person who posted it.  This way people will appreciate high voted comments but won't feel punished  if their comment gets downvoted to oblivion (whether by trolls or normal people).

We can even take this further and have the User Rank be affected by the quality of your comments.  A lot of high voted comments will increase your User Rank.  A lot of bad comments could decrease your User Rank.

I've been a member since 2004 and my rank doesn't really mean anything to me because I feel just because a post is long it doesn't necessarily means it's high quality.  Therefore I don't take the ranking system seriously at all.

Comments

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Some feedback on this?
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hi there,

We've discussed this in various forms in the past and not really sure where we're at with this right now. If we do it, we need to ensure that it isn't open to abuse. It's a valuble tool to be sure, but we just need to be careful about if it we do implement it.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    No. Please no. This is just asking for griefing. Look at the poison Metacritic has become to the entertainment industry. These systems of popular vote are too ripe for abuse. Even unpopular opinions deserve to be heard.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hi there,

We've discussed this in various forms in the past and not really sure where we're at with this right now. If we do it, we need to ensure that it isn't open to abuse. It's a valuble tool to be sure, but we just need to be careful about if it we do implement it.

Allow a person to turn off votes for their own comments and you have a winner.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    hmm, this seems really hard to do and NOT be abused.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Simple up vote and down vote number in the header line, signifying nothing, affecting nothing.

+1

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Hi there,

It sounds like an appealing idea at first, but I think all it would do in the long term is just cause more headaches for you guys on the moderating staff.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Nah this will do nothing but make anyone who likes themeparks get more downvoted and the trolls and haters become more godlike on this site.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    What about:
    You can't downvote or upvote unless you leave a comment of about x words length to the post in question?

It might deter people who want to abuse the system anonymously.
    It might be positive for the post(er) in question to know who voted him/her up/down and the reason why.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Simple up vote and down vote number in the header line, signifying nothing, affecting nothing.

+1

If it signifies nothing and affects nothing then why would it be done?

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    A place for opinions should not have a way to give ratings, it calls for mob mentality and squashes individual thinking.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I'd vote for this :P

Well I think it would be a good idea, but they do need to be careful in how to implement it.  I would say what others have said wehre you can only + or like something, no need for downvotes.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by RefMinor

+1

If it signifies nothing and affects nothing then why would it be done?

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

  --Macbeth A5S5

....cause it makes Bill Shakespeare happy? Seems vaguely appropriate to a lot of topics we see frequently repeated...

I dunno, Punish The Miscreants seems to be the primary development goal of voting systems. Attack dog without teeth that gums burglars?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Well I think it would be a good idea, but they do need to be careful in how to implement it.  I would say what others have said wehre you can only + or like something, no need for downvotes.

I'm more partial to this as well. Less room for abuse and griefing.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I think it'd be a great system if you could only +1 people.

Downvote would get abused and anything more serious you already have Report features.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Senadina
    No. Please no. This is just asking for griefing. Look at the poison Metacritic has become to the entertainment industry. These systems of popular vote are too ripe for abuse. Even unpopular opinions deserve to be heard.
    Exactly! Please do not allow posters who disagree or agree have any influence on others postings. 90% of posts are opinions. How does one rate opinions?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

+1 for this:).. i'd also re-adjust peoples titles to reflect their +1's sort of work it into the star system in some way

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

+1 for this:).. i'd also re-adjust peoples titles to reflect their +1's

Sounds good to me, prevents people from abusing the system.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I think it'd be a great system if you could only +1 people.

Downvote would get abused and anything more serious you already have Report features.

Yes I watched this happen in the LOTRO forums,  I seen folks get so called dog piled on who would saysomething negative.  I actually once got a downvote from sapience and got a pm message from him to as why.  

I would got +1   put not downvotes.    There are folks in these forums who would enjoy tearing certain posters a new one, and I think that would be a bad idea. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

No.

Because rep bombing would start with people having/making alt accounts.  Don't believe me?  Look at the World of Tanks forums where downvoting was taken off because of this reason.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm against a voting system.  People will be afraid to post unpopular ideas in fear of being downvoted to oblivion.  The ideas posted should be judged fairly without the influence of the "popluar" vote.  Leave that stuff to YouTube and Reddit.  Nobody should fear in sharing their opinion, or having theirs immediately decided by a post that is "popular".  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

+1 for this:).. i'd also re-adjust peoples titles to reflect their +1's

Sounds good to me, prevents people from abusing the system.

I like itas well and commented on another thread how that's the way it should be. It would actually be benificial to see others who do not like posting either way to participate in a discussion, even if it's only a vote for support on a opinion they happen to agree with. Negative nancys, on the other hand, are going to comment either way so there is no need to give them a easy way to dogpile someone.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I agree, + votes or likes will have the same desired effect, but without the trolling capacity.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by evilastro

I agree, + votes or likes will have the same desired effect, but without the trolling capacity.

If there was a +/Like feature right now, I'd give it to these posts ---^

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    We are ot sheep, we do not need to be herded by votes into thinking the "right way". Or perhaps there are those of you out there who think we do?