Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a damn shame...

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Man I REALLY want to enjoy this game... It has such a great skill system and so many awesome sandbox elements that I am really interested in.

I figured with it's releaunch it would be a fresh start and I can sink my teeth into the game on a level playing field.

Holy crap though... This has got to be the most toxic community in any MMO... Global chat is nothing more than a 4chan chat room with elitist epeening all over the place.

I ventured out of the new safe area to beat on some higher level mobs and people are just out there lying in wait to prey on you.. I am still in total new player gear and while still a full loot game I had nothing to gain on me... this was just griefing at it's worst.

I get it, wah wah ... QQ, L2play and all the other cliches that forum warriors and anons will spout.

There is zero civility and no consequence for your actions...  This game seems like it was designed for basement sociopaths, or at least that is who's flocking to it.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I have deep roots in open PVP with games like UO (at release), Shadowbane, DAOC in both normal servers and also Andred and Mordred servers...

The kicker is just how shitty everyone is... I mean in all the previous games mentioned people were at least respectful to one another... and while yes there were a chosen few douchebags people would go out of the way to admit a clean kill.

I don't even understand why a game like this should even have a Global chat... it just peretuates this asshat attitude.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

Hmmm, you're either remembering UO through rose-colored glasses or you played a different game than I played way back when.

My understanding is that Darkfall is supposed to be a successor to UO, and it sounds like they hit the nail on the head.  You've got your noob ganking, macroing, and easily bugged/trapped mobs.

I think the only think they're missing is the item-lag when you get near a house, and the innocuous "join the adventure" crap on the game box to lure an ever unsuspecting stream of noobs to the meat-grinder.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The heart of man is evil. This game just allows people to be what they really are.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Wighty

I don't even understand why a game like this should even have a Global chat... it just peretuates this asshat attitude.

So players can ask in public for PvP when the population drops too low again.  ;)

As far as the community goes, I think it has more to do with the fact that the game appeals more to a PvP audience than it does with Sandbox audience. DarkFall's main focus has always been PvP, whereas PvE and Crafting has lacked a lot of development in comparison to other actual sandboxes (old sandboxes like UO, or newer ones like ArcheAge).

Since the players who seeked a Sandbox experience gradually left DarkFall leaving mostly PvP-oriented players, it turned the game into more of a giant PvP arena than a Sandbox. PvP 'competitive' games don't exactly have the 'best' community of the bunch. And if DFUW is anything like DF (which I'm pretty sure it will be down the road), given the lack of incentive for players to go to war, it's that trash-talk/pissing contest that will stir battles between clans once again.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

So players can ask in public for PvP when the population drops too low again.  ;)

As far as the community goes, I think it has more to do with the fact that the game appeals more to a PvP audience than it does with Sandbox audience. DarkFall's main focus has always been PvP, whereas PvE and Crafting has lacked a lot of development in comparison to other actual sandboxes (old sandboxes like UO, or newer ones like ArcheAge).

Since the players who seeked a Sandbox experience gradually left DarkFall leaving mostly PvP-oriented players, it turned the game into more of a giant PvP arena than a Sandbox. PvP 'competitive' games don't exactly have the 'best' community of the bunch. And if DFUW is anything like DF (which I'm pretty sure it will be down the road), given the lack of incentive for players to go to war, it's that trash-talk/pissing contest that will stir battles between clans once again.

Then why not just turn it into a MOBA... I mean when you watch some the of the Dev videos they are putting so much into an immersive PvE world... why bother with this when you are solely appealing to the Leage of Legends crowd.

Shadowbane, DAOC, UO was never this bad...

I really want to like the game but man what a bunch of fkn dicks...

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Then why not just turn it into a MOBA... I mean when you watch some the of the Dev videos they are putting so much into an immersive PvE world... why bother with this when you are solely appealing to the Leage of Legends crowd.

Shadowbane, DAOC, UO was never this bad...

I really want to like the game but man what a bunch of fkn dicks...

They couldn't justify the box + sub in that case.

I can't speak for SB and DAoC, but UO gave more power to the players and the skill cap also limited what players could do and be which in turn made interacting with players that would fulfill the areas you are lacking much more important. Since in UO we had Dedicated crafters, developing a good relationship with them was pretty important because you couldn't take care of that yourself (technically). In DF, players could learn all the skills including crafting skills and were heavily encouraged to do so because of the additional stats gain they would acquire from it as well as the ability to become self-sufficient.

Taking strictly housing as an example. In UO you could place your house where you wanted (provided the area was wide enough and no annoying single patch of herb would be in the way) and you could put a lot of variety of crafted item inside your house (Tables, chairs, etc). For the most part, a house would require a deed and a large amount of ressources.

In DarkFall, you need to drop a Deed which could be randomly found at a fairly low rate from Chaos Chests, and then you had to visit developer-made villages where you had to find a pre-made home that fit your type of deed (so for a Cottage Deed you could only get a Cottage house). As far as what you could put to customize your house, all items were dropped from Chaos Chests and were limited to a handful of Tapestry (2-4 different ones max) Guest Furniture to add an extra bind-point for a friend (to teleport to), an Herb patch, and an NPC Vendor. Nothing could be crafted, it all had to be dropped from a Chaos Chest which only dropped at a very low rate.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Robokapp

OP, it's normal.

what you describe is WHY people come together to form guilds/clans for mutual protection.

out of the cesspool you describe shall be born great alliances. Otherwise if everyone was happy and friendly, there'd be no need for alliances.

necesity drives invention not the other way around.

It's normal at such an early stage. Once the alliances begin to form, the game will be divided among power blocks and things will be a lot more ... civilised.

And don't diss the basement sociopath. While you're confortable in your bed, he's the one defending your keep so you actually have a place to play once you wake up.

That sounds really great on paper, but nothing you spoke of solves the problems hes referring to.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Welcome to Darkfall!

You either get good at the game, good at starting drama, learn to deal with it or leave.

Your name means everything, if you dont give people a reason to think twice about attacking, you will just end up getting killed over and over. So all the shit talk is really just for show, few actually take a single word of it seriously/personally outside of the confines of PvP in game.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Even bringing up the term sociopath to talk about a pvp centric game or any game for that matter is absurd.  Obviously you are taking things a bit too personal and blowing what is essentially a 1st world leasure product out of proportion in terms of importance.

1. turn off general chat ...nothing  good takes place there in any mmo

2. this is a bad game to play if you don't have a guild, that's your community not the small percentage of morons who talk in chat all day rather than play the game.

3. people are gonna be jerks in pvp either get used to or don't do it. Personally i think totally ignoring them is the best tactic, the really good players are gonna be too busy finding their next target to bother typing somehing in chat.

Any game that markets itsself as a hardcore pvp game is gonna have jerks and trasn talkers tune them out,.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    You might be happeir in Age of Wushu.  The community has actually turned out to be pretty great.  Once you get past the weird differences in the game compared to other MMO's.
  • anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119

Man I REALLY want to enjoy this game... It has such a great skill system and so many awesome sandbox elements that I am really interested in.

I figured with it's releaunch it would be a fresh start and I can sink my teeth into the game on a level playing field.

Holy crap though... This has got to be the most toxic community in any MMO... Global chat is nothing more than a 4chan chat room with elitist epeening all over the place.

I ventured out of the new safe area to beat on some higher level mobs and people are just out there lying in wait to prey on you.. I am still in total new player gear and while still a full loot game I had nothing to gain on me... this was just griefing at it's worst.

I get it, wah wah ... QQ, L2play and all the other cliches that forum warriors and anons will spout.

There is zero civility and no consequence for your actions...  This game seems like it was designed for basement sociopaths, or at least that is who's flocking to it.

The whole nothing to gain on me part...so many memories from War Z...

"ALL I HAD WAS A FUCKING FLASHLIGHT."

"Maybe I wanted a flashlight."

"Did you want a flashlight...?"

"No."

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Robokapp

OP, it's normal.

what you describe is WHY people come together to form guilds/clans for mutual protection.

out of the cesspool you describe shall be born great alliances. Otherwise if everyone was happy and friendly, there'd be no need for alliances.

necesity drives invention not the other way around.

It's normal at such an early stage. Once the alliances begin to form, the game will be divided among power blocks and things will be a lot more ... civilised.

And don't diss the basement sociopath. While you're confortable in your bed, he's the one defending your keep so you actually have a place to play once you wake up.

protection for what?? the game has absolutely "0" point to it..... it has to be the absolute WORST game/beta/alpha game I have ever... EVER played .....

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

People are strange, when you're a stranger
    Faces look ugly when you're alone
    Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
    Streets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain
    When you're strange
    No one remembers your name
    When you're strange
    When you're strange
    When you're strange

People are strange, when you're a stranger
    Faces look ugly when you're alone
    Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
    Streets are uneven when you're down

----------------

Its a different game when you guild up, its like being a part of a football team, you are in day 1 of the tryouts

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

I played DF for a bit and what Op's talkin about, though i say he's a lil excited, is somewhat revelant and true.

first off, PVP comes in all shapes and sizes, though it seems most of the "PvP" crowd finds killing somone who can't/has very little chance of being an equal opponent a very good fight.  I've always wondered at this logic of thnking.  Sure i can kill a baby seal, an infant, a 5 yr old etc etc etc, but I prove nothing, well except the fact I need to be slaughtered like a rabid beast(now some will play this part to generate pvp action for themselves or thier guild, though i still despise those kinda people, i understand thier motive a lil better)

Secondly, the trash talking???  another thing I didn't understand(when it came from someone who you can't possibly beat).  

Out of the meriad of deaths i had in DF, 2 really stood out.  The first one I was in a clan, but i went back to the starter cities to finish the proffession quests, some dude in no clothes and a battle axe figure 8 me like it was nothing.  I mean this gent basically killed me before i knew what hit me.  I find him again, and now i'm ready, but this time though it took a smidgen longer, he still killed me.  After that, i said screw it, and went to hit rocks and trees.  he saw me 2 or 3 more times but didn't screw with me, in fact he told me about the "figure 8" method.

Second case.  real new, and I'm at the newbie areas killin goblins like it's cool.  Some dude jumps me while mobs r hitin me.  doesn't take me down, so he runs.  Now i'm watching for him.  don't see him, so i goto another place, and sure enough ole dude shows up again.  this time he finishes me off.  for the next half hour he's constantly ranting in(can't remember exactly which chat it was) chat at how a noob I was and yadda yadda yadda.  It got to the point some vets came in and ran him outta town.  but he would just come back hour/day later and start the whole process over again with some other new jack.  I would like to believe this guy is tryin to drum up something for himself, but the guy could never win in an actually "fair" pvp match(happened 3 or 4 times).  It honestly looked like he was laggin or what not.

finally, i'm a healer at heart, and making that a fps style for healing is just wrong, mmmkay :)

my 0.02$ worth

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

AV fosters the asshattery of the community by allowing their forums and in game culture to be "anything goes".  Competitive smack talk is one thing. The YouTube-like verbal cesspool of DarkfFall is another.

EDIT:  To each their own.  While this type of community is a turn-off for me, others enjoy it.  The question AV should be asking is whether or not it hurts sales and whether they care. I'd say it does hurt sales, clearly.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    If you play a PVP centered game hoping there isn't much PVP you're not going to have a good time.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho
    If you play a PVP centered game hoping there isn't much PVP you're not going to have a good time.

I enjoy PvP, especially open world... In Darkfall it is the community that makes it horrible... The obvious bullying and steamrolling of people from which you will recieve no gain from is just ridiculous.

Take Age of Wushu, PvP has meaning and purpose, and while 100% open world PvP the players are not running around like social misfits attacking players simply because they can. in AoW you have PvPsentric events like kidnapping (attacking kidnappers), script stealing events, patrol/spy, as well as PvP in what would normally be PvE instances where you get called in to attack players in an instance attempting to kill a boss.

On the upside I did come across some decent people in Darkfall, but for the most part it is mainly the douches and asshats prevalent in the game. Ironically enough these are the same people complaining that the population of the game is low....

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32

Darkfall....I love it and hate it.

As to being based on UO.....no...not so much. There was SO much more to do in UO other than PVP. And Darkfall seems to be heade away from non-combat activities to focus on PVP even more.

Honestly, if you want a game that is like a 3D UO with a decent community (outside of the capitol city) give Mortal Online a shot. You can try it for free now.

Honestly, Darkfall kind of seems more like an FPS/TPS with territory control than anything else now. Kind of a shame.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I have deep roots in open PVP with games like UO (at release), Shadowbane, DAOC in both normal servers and also Andred and Mordred servers...

The kicker is just how shitty everyone is... I mean in all the previous games mentioned people were at least respectful to one another... and while yes there were a chosen few douchebags people would go out of the way to admit a clean kill.

I pretty much started my MMO life in Shadowbane. I played a little EQ prior, but Shadowbane was the first game that I really got into. I remember just making in onto the mainland and walking out of the 1st city. I kept getting one-shotted by some dandy fuck who I couldn't see...lol. It didn't get much friendlier until I fould a guild and was within the city walls. After that, things were more political.. which is one of the reasons I absolutely loved that game. We had alliances with certain cities and others were KOS. There was a mutual repect due to the Nations/guilds, not so much because the players were any different that in Darkfall. I remember that folks would go errant all the time, just so they could go around and fuck faces... and take your gold. There were A TON of striaght up shitty assholes in that game too.

I do agree that global chat is worthless and shouldn't be there. 

Originally posted by Praetalus

I pretty much started my MMO life in Shadowbane. I played a little EQ prior, but Shadowbane was the first game that I really got into. I remember just making in onto the mainland and walking out of the 1st city. I kept getting one-shotted by some dandy fuck who I couldn't see...lol. It didn't get much friendlier until I fould a guild and was within the city walls. After that, things were more political.. which is one of the reasons I absolutely loved that game. We had alliances with certain cities and others were KOS. There was a mutual repect due to the Nations/guilds, not so much because the players were any different that in Darkfall. I remember that folks would go errant all the time, just so they could go around and fuck faces... and take your gold. There were A TON of striaght up shitty assholes in that game too.

I do agree that global chat is worthless and shouldn't be there. 

Shadowbane was truely one of the greats... way ahead of it's time... I often wonder how a game like that would be if launched today. 

The community was different back then as well... Asshats were globally hunted, well they must have found a cave and multiplied like rabbits because now it seems the level of douchery is too damn high... All the repressed kids are taking their frustration out in games.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Welcome to Gankfall.

Any game with open gank-fest style PvP that does NOT have a system of checks and balances that severely punishes continual griefing will only attract a**hats. You're the prey, enjoy.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I have been debating over and over if I want to try DF again. I played Euro and NA DF at release and the community for this game is terrible. I like the idea of DF and the potential it has but the thought of dealing with these types of players again makes me hesitate to spend my $15 to preorder or whatever it's called.

I just really find it ironic that they are putting so much effort into PvE content as satated multiple times in dev videos and interviews.

Darkfall is like putting Michael Vick in charge of an animal shelter. Two things that clearly don't make sense together.

Why emphasize so much on PvE (dungeons, landscapes, towns, immersive world then unleash the xbox live call of duty crowd on it. You can make a beautiful painting with shit... but in the end it still stinks.

It's this OMFGWTF has to be soooooo hardcore and EXTREME attitude people have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

• Its a shame
  • ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100
    Darkfall:Unholy Wars is simply for the hardcore PvPer with low reasoning skills and way too much trust. Because why would anyone else support AV?