Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo clone

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by davc123
    poe is great game better then d3 

i never said it was a bad game, i am actually liking it so far.

• MookzenMookzen Member Posts: 18
    It gets praise because its an improved version of what came before, thats progress and thats good.
  • S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19

"Diablo clone" is only a compliment to any ARPG. I mean Diablo2 ofc. Its an awesome standard which wont be passed any time soon or EVER.

I play Path of Exile myself and it indeed is good. Too bad it isnt a finished product but it truly is the Diablo 3 we really wanted.

Catch you on the planetside!

Originally posted by jpnole
    Originally posted by baphamet not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise? not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off. from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more) its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo. whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money? i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.    
    Because WoW doesn't have the universal praise that the D1/D2LoD franchise does. The pre D3 Diablo franchise is universally associated with positive gaming experiences. D1/D2 are the holy grail of ARPGs. WoW, meanwhile, is an EQ clone and despite being mostly liked, does not carry the universal praise that is always heaped upon D1 & D2.

what about when teso gets called a GW2 clone? or when all sorts of games used to be called D2 clones like dungeon siege?

i realize all games are clones of another game with added original features unique to that game.

i also have no problem playing any "clone" as long as i am having fun and like the game.

i am just saying that its odd every other newer game gets hated on for being a clone except this one apparently (and all sandbox games of course).

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by baphamet

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off.

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo.

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

Whatever you say or do , or how much you analyze , it all comes down to one thing . Is it fun to play ? PoE is fun , I like its depth and complexity , its atmosphere , its darkness , its inovation . They took some risks , took some new paths , and it payed off . Diablo started it all , yes , I do agree . But I also dont care . Because its fun :D

And wow is not original , its an EQ clone . Now thats odd , calling everything a wow clone , when wow is a clone :P My point is its a matter of success in the end . EQ and UO started it all , but only mmo oldtimers like meself know that , most people think of wow as the father . And it is as much talent and timing , as it is about standing on the shoulders of giants . Like EQ , or Diablo :D

Originally posted by stefanakisgr
    Originally posted by baphamet not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise? not only is this game a diablo clone, some of it is a direct rip off. from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more) its actually pretty funny how blatantly they ripped off diablo. whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money? i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.    
    Whatever you say or do , or how much you analyze , it all comes down to one thing . Is it fun to play ? PoE is fun , I like its depth and complexity , its atmosphere , its darkness , its inovation . They took some risks , took some new paths , and it payed off . Diablo started it all , yes , I do agree . But I also dont care . Because its fun :D

And wow is not original , its an EQ clone . Now thats odd , calling everything a wow clone , when wow is a clone :P My point is its a matter of success in the end . EQ and UO started it all , but only mmo oldtimers like meself know that , most people think of wow as the father . And it is as much talent and timing , as it is about standing on the shoulders of giants . Like EQ , or Diablo :D

i actually played diablo, diablo 2, and EQ for many years :)

if you remember, wow got hated on for ripping off Daoc and EQ (and other games as well) when it first came out, were those bad games at the time?

games like dungeon siege were labeled diablo clones and frowned upon by many at the time as well.

i see people complain about companies being original and that's why they don't like wow like games.

yet with this game and other sandbox games they are never mentioned as clones or frowned upon for being a clone, even though they are all clones of something.

its a double standard.

that said, i can see why people like this game as i am one of them so far lol

then again, i am not one of those that refuses to play a game that is a clone of another.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

not saying this is a bad game but why is it that if a game is labeled a "wow clone" its automatically hated on but this game being a diablo clone gets praise?

the thing is "WoW clone" isn't a complaint because it's a ripoff. it's a complaint because a lot of people don't like WoW. diablo 1+2 are awesome though. therefore if someone rips it off and slaps on nicer graphics, it's a win.

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by Shodanas
    Can you please elaborate on how PoE "...blatantly ripped off dablo."? The UI? Because the health / mana orbs are located left and right? And sure, character selection and the inventory panel define wether a game is good or bad. Are you for real? Why don't you tell us about the things who actually matter like the skill sysytem. Or the excellent active / support gem system which provides ground for tons of experimentation. Or the innovative barter system in place of the old currency one.

Remove your fanboy glasses and then you'll see that the F2P PoE puts the 60 euro DIII to shame.

the inventory pannel looks exactly the same, character selection looks exactly the same, the combat? so far its exactly the same.

fanboy glasses you say? umm i hate to break it you ya but i haven't played D3 in months and will not play it ever again until it has pvp and even then i may not.

its more likely that i will be playing this game actually lol

maybe you should take your "fanboy glasses" off and realize that this game is in fact a direct rip off from diablo.

like i said originally, i don't think its a bad game as i have not played it enough to make a judgment like that.

but just from playing it 10 minutes i can see that they haven't just made a game similar to diablo, they directly ripped it off.

which is not necessarily a bad thing but it damn sure isn't an indie game company being creative, which is why so many of you claim to like indie games.

it is indeed a double standard.

Lol, way to prove you havent played much of it, the first 2 are a given for any ARPG really.. why would you change something like that? The combat however... DRAMATICALLY more complex and different, Fail bro, fail.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

from character selection to the inventory panel to the UI (and this is just from playing the game for 10 minutes, there is probably much more)

whatever happened to these indie companies being more creative? isn't that why so many of you support them? or is it just because you hate the big companies like blizzard that make tons of money?

i am not trying to post flame bait, but the double standard just seems odd to me.

Because there has been quite a lot demand for D2 style ARPG, there's not that many of those, not even D3 with it's bright lighting and more colorful appearance.

However when it comes to wow clones there's a ton of them left and right, not only are there almost endless amount of them they also are very generic imo, which makes it even more worse to see one or two pop up every year, or a dozen pop up every year if you count every crap F2P wow clone no one's ever heard of.

At least I havent seen that many "big" diablo clones come out often, but it feels like there's an endless sea of wow clones.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Thanks for the suggestion but im fine making my own choices, i still play both.  They are both games that need a hell of a lot of improvement.

You statements are so ridiculous and naive.  If you need pointers, and/or understanding of game mechanics you can check out some streams here:  Kripp's Channel

D3 is completely broken and the fact they scrapped team pvp proves this.  D3 will never be as good as PoE because the designs are fundamentally different.  D3 is a casual game with no decision making, but a simple gear grind.   PoE requires players to make character choices, and offers unlimited content through ladders, maps, and engaging combat.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Point being, Just so you know, we are fully aware that the game is a diablo clone. Its why we like it. Basically PoE is something the genre needed, it was something that was missing after D3 left skid marks in everyones wallet. Blizzard thought that removing Progression customizeation was the best thing for the Diablo. PoE adds more and people like it more. so in my opinion PoE is exactly what D3 should have been.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Point being, Just so you know, we are fully aware that the game is a diablo clone. Its why we like it. Basically PoE is something the genre needed, it was something that was missing after D3 left skid marks in everyones wallet. Blizzard thought that removing Progression customizeation was the best thing for the Diablo. PoE adds more and people like it more. so in my opinion PoE is exactly what D3 should have been.

+1, A lot of use were hoping for a true successor to D2, this would be the game we were waiting for. D3 was terrible, but I grew up on D1 and D2, so obviously I am biased :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

After about a week playing my witch and hitting lvl 55 I uninstalled and reinstalled Diablo 3, I enjoy D3 more then I did before I tried PoE.

I found PoE just too dull for my taste, yes the item system is cool, but thats about it as far as I can tell.  D3 is a hundred times more visually appealing, killing monsters is more satisfying.  If Im gonna killl thousands of monsters repeatedly(which is what you do in PoE) than I'd like it to at least look pretty when I do it.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Path of Exile isn't a Diablo clone, in the same way most so-called "WoW clones" aren't actually WoW clones :)

The term "WoW clone" is more often a hyperbolic term. Just because one game shares broadly the same framework as another game does not make the former a clone of the latter.

Video game development is an iterative process, and if we are to boil games down to "clones"... then every game we play these days is a clone of another game in all practical ways.

The ONLY reason people are likely to call PoE a "Diablo clone" is due to the graphics. No one genuinely claims that Torchlight 2 is simply a Diablo clone; why? All three franchises follow precisely the same broad format. The only difference is that Diablo and PoE have similar art directions.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Actually Diablo 3 is so bad, Path of Exile makes up for it.
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

go away whit d3  p2p +pw2 they care only for money

poe ftw!

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Drolkin

After about a week playing my witch and hitting lvl 55 I uninstalled and reinstalled Diablo 3, I enjoy D3 more then I did before I tried PoE.

I found PoE just too dull for my taste, yes the item system is cool, but thats about it as far as I can tell.  D3 is a hundred times more visually appealing, killing monsters is more satisfying.  If Im gonna killl thousands of monsters repeatedly(which is what you do in PoE) than I'd like it to at least look pretty when I do it.

Personally, I'm a cerebral gamer. I like to think when I game, about what I'm doing, how I'm doing it, how I could do it better, etc, etc. Diablo 3 doesn't allow for very much thought; it does all of the thinking for you. It's patronising. Yeah, it's pretty... but that's a superficial pleasantry. I can see why Unthinkers would like it, but I'm not an Unthinker.

Path of Exile is the opposite. It makes NO assumptions for you. You have to make all of the decisions yourself, for ill or for good. Make the wrong decisions, and you will suffer for it. It's a cerebral game that encourages thought and consideration at all levels of play.

I will take a little clunkiness in exchange for a game that doesn't patronise me, I think... because I enjoy having to think.

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Diablo clone? Well yes, but it is a better clone than Diablo III :D.
  • marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I am not super impressed with POE yet.

Yes it has an extensive skill tree and it has that dark gritty look everyone seems to like, but to me the combat feels really clunky. It just doesn't feel right. The animations seem stiff and I don't feel like I am making contact when I hit a monster. 

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135
    All i know is id rather play POE than the steaming pile of horse **** that is D3, The End. =)
  • SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

The people claiming this is a Diablo clone really have no clue about the depth of this game.  There are so many things that set it apart.  Sockets aren't used for stats but for skill gems and support gems.  The classes are so customizable it is crazy, you can be a casting marauder if you so choose.  The attribute system is completely different with the skill tree. 

Every Action RPG isn't a Diablo clone and there is much more beneath the surface to this game than people are giving it credit for here.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Don't know about this cloning business but for me PoE is one great game. It has made an big contribution to restoring/maintaining my faith in the gaming business. Glad I spent the money to support it during the closed beta, probably will spend some more just to show my appreciation (after they fix the remaining crashes/disconnects;).

I normally loath f2p games. Normally.

Special mention for being able to turn off the noise^H^H^H^H^Hglobal chat.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

...So its an ARPG, so obviously its a Diablo clone... I hope at the very least your saying of diablo 2 and not of 3.  

No offense but its people like you who consider games 'clones' that are in the same genre that really diminish the quality of games out there. There is a difference between a clone and just following the same genre and Path of Exile is not REMOTELY a clone in any form. It fits into the ARPG frame yes but its no where near a clone. I'm quite curious how YOU would of done the game as an ARPG that would make it not a 'clone' cause it would be interesting to see what it takes to make an ARPG not a clone in that style.

The term "WoW-Clone" itself is to me the very definition of hypocracy as how it is often compared in ways is a mockery since with their very definition you could easily claim WoW was a clone of Everquest 1. Is it a clone? No. When someone says a game is a clone are they right? No, in most cases they are looking at it in quite an ignorant way which tarnishes their ability to really judge a game.  If you can view games as a 'clone' rather then being in a similiar genre or style, you are only setting yourself up for failure in being really able to make a sound judgement about a game and how it handles.

Originally posted by LuciferIAm

Originally posted by Shodanas Can you please elaborate on how PoE "...blatantly ripped off dablo."? The UI? Because the health / mana orbs are located left and right? And sure, character selection and the inventory panel define wether a game is good or bad. Are you for real? Why don't you tell us about the things who actually matter like the skill sysytem. Or the excellent active / support gem system which provides ground for tons of experimentation. Or the innovative barter system in place of the old currency one.   Remove your fanboy glasses and then you'll see that the F2P PoE puts the 60 euro DIII to shame.
      the inventory pannel looks exactly the same, character selection looks exactly the same, the combat? so far its exactly the same. fanboy glasses you say? umm i hate to break it you ya but i haven't played D3 in months and will not play it ever again until it has pvp and even then i may not. its more likely that i will be playing this game actually lol maybe you should take your "fanboy glasses" off and realize that this game is in fact a direct rip off from diablo. like i said originally, i don't think its a bad game as i have not played it enough to make a judgment like that. but just from playing it 10 minutes i can see that they haven't just made a game similar to diablo, they directly ripped it off. which is not necessarily a bad thing but it damn sure isn't an indie game company being creative, which is why so many of you claim to like indie games. it is indeed a double standard.
    Lol, way to prove you havent played much of it, the first 2 are a given for any ARPG really.. why would you change something like that? The combat however... DRAMATICALLY more complex and different, Fail bro, fail.

how is the combat dramatically different? its actually exactly the same type of combat.

the way you allocate stats and the skill gems are different but the combat itself is the same.

but you actually believe a successful ARPG must have the same exact UI, gritty dark feel and same exact type of character selection?

i disagree.

also, i think i mentioned i only played the game 10 minutes and was just pointing out all the things i seen in that first 10 minutes that they directly ripped off from the diablo series and was definitely not passing judgment on the game either way.

did you not read my OP that you quoted? or are you just trolling?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

there is a difference between a ripp off, and the same scheme.

this game has been made by some of the diablo devs.

so obviously they wont change the way they work just because they work under a new flag now.

uh, and btw, this game is what d3 could have been. 

(yes, d3's gfx engine is superior, but that's about it)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"