Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the Only One Who Thinks This?

Comments

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by cyrician

As you can only get into the beta by paying for a founders pack without even a free beta weekend to decide .

This is a lie.

Lots and lots and lots of ways to get into beta for free.

Liars should be banned.

I'm willing to bet everyone will get into beta before release.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Nope only complainers and crybabies think so.  For some of us this is a perfect opportunity to support Cryptic with the funds for an awesome MMO. 

Now if the price was mandatory you would have a complaint but this founders pack is for those who want the items and the guarenteed beta invites.  Nothing wrong at all because the company is providing the things players want and not what they need.

Well, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, I suppose and you're right, it's not mandatory. I still think though, that bearing in mind the incredible hype that often accompanies these MMO games, the number of the so-called WOW-killers that have gone 'free to play' in double quick time in recent years and the lack of lots of solid information about this game, it's crazy to consider spending this type of money at this time.

I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Realms and Drizzt  Do'Urden and all that too, but I wouldn't entertain this expense at this stage.

And PWE aren't dependent on collecting €200 from their players in orde to develop a decent game. They have plenty of resources already. Stop behaving like you 'owe' them this money as some kind of supportive 'slap on the back' for their efforts.

No matter how good or bad this game turns out to be, they are getting ready to milk you dry, sunshine. That's for certain...

Originally posted by gracefield

No matter how good or bad this game turns out to be, they are getting ready to milk you dry, sunshine. That's for certain...

Well if you think paying $60 up front for a game is milking you, I guess you never buy any games.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Arcona

Well if you think paying $60 up front for a game is milking you, I guess you never buy any games.

Yes because you simply cannot buy games after they have been released and *gasp* even after been able to actually try and see if they're any good.

I know. A shocking thought.

Well, no, I actually play quite a few. The point I'm making here is that based on PW's cash shop record you can look forward to lots of opportunities going forward to part with you hard-earned dosh. You don't need to rush in now waving your $200 dollars above your head.

PW know how to make money from a cash shop and they're being very coy about the exact format to be used here. I believe that restraint is advisable at this stage.

Well, no, I actually play quite a few. The point I'm making here is that based on PW's cash shop record you can look forward to lots of opportunities going forward to part with you hard-earned dosh. You don't need to rush in now waving your $200 dollars above your head.

PW know how to make money from a cash shop and they're being very coy about the exact format to be used here. I believe that restraint is advisable at this stage.

Well the $200 has been debated to death now. Yes it is expensive. No it is not representative of the cashshop after release we know nothing about.

Well the $200 has been debated to death now. Yes it is expensive. No it is not representative of the cashshop after release we know nothing about.

Well that's agreed and I hope PW will move more towards the Turbine/LotRO format for their paymat format - I think it works very well.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

It kinda is. Doesn't the "promo" say the value of the items included in the 200$ pack is over 500$, so I assume buying the mount, the background, the items included etc. individually would cost over 500$, which means osmething there will be quite expensive. 

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Well, the main issue here is that the customers don't know what they are paying for in the first place.

750k or 125k of Astral diamonds, it doesn't matter. How much would I pay for 1k of Astral daimonds when game goes live? What can I buy with 10k Astral Diamonds? Do I wan't to pay for anything really, until I've seen more gameplay videos?

There's too much questions left hanging in the air. I'm not even sure it's legal to sell something to customer, which is not clearly defined (e.g. there is no in-game to real currency converter available).

The expensive stuff in the $200  pack is probably

•   Exclusive access to ‘Menzoberranzan Renegade" race
    •    Unique ‘Armored Spider’ mount
    •    Unique ‘Panther Companion’

Maybe these are worth $100 each. But it's nothing gamebreaking, it's just visual flair. The $60 pack has a mount and companion too, and probably just as good.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Nope only complainers and crybabies think so.  For some of us this is a perfect opportunity to support Cryptic with the funds for an awesome MMO. 

Now if the price was mandatory you would have a complaint but this founders pack is for those who want the items and the guarenteed beta invites.  Nothing wrong at all because the company is providing the things players want and not what they need.

Gullible new to the mmo market gamers like yourself, are what Cryptic's marketing department are after. The majority of mmo players know only to well how this game will turn out.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by cyrician

As you can only get into the beta by paying for a founders pack without even a free beta weekend to decide .

This is a lie.

Lots and lots and lots of ways to get into beta for free.

Liars should be banned.

I'm willing to bet everyone will get into beta before release.

[mod edit]

As it stands founders packs (paid for), RaiderZ elite pack (paid), and TL2 pre-order (again paid for) all are paid access to the CB.  The only exception is the lifetime menbership of CO and STO but those too were paid as numerous people bought it specifically for Neverwinter access.

While yes there are other opportunities but nothing is released and for all we know it will be the very last weekend right before open beta or they will just be open beta access for all we know.  And Cryptic singed this "other opportunities" before with the TL2 promo, and what was those oppurtunities?  2 friggin alpha keys (really crap if you ask me especially since only a month later the CB is starting), the PC Gamer code (again was a marketing manuver to sell PC Gamer magazines), and possiblely the RaiderZ elite founders pack (don't recall if that was before or after TL2 pre-order debaticle on the forums).

The expensive stuff in the $200  pack is probably

•   Exclusive access to ‘Menzoberranzan Renegade" race
    •    Unique ‘Armored Spider’ mount
    •    Unique ‘Panther Companion’

Maybe these are worth $100 each. But it's nothing gamebreaking, it's just visual flair. The $60 pack has a mount and companion too, and probably just as good.

So in other words you like being ripped off then?  Well good for you, others here are financially responsible and won't be.

Originally posted by sibs4455

Gullible new to the mmo market gamers like yourself, are what Cryptic's marketing department are after. The majority of mmo players know only to well how this game will turn out.

The gullible indeed.  Neverwinter amzaes me with how quickly some are willing to part with their money and not even question the value of the product.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    That $200 dollars for a free to play game's foundary pack is a bit expensive? I could understand if that included a lifetime subscription, but this is going to be free to play. I think $100 would be more of a reasonable price, but maybe I'm just crazy or something and this is normal.

What's even worse is that Cryptic values that virtual crap at $549.00.  Unfrakking believable.  I don't consider the package worth the 199 bucks, let alone the fact that Cryptic has priced the whole thing to normally sell for $549.00.  I'd say that is quite the indicator of how they are going to run the cash shop, expensive and bloated.

Originally posted by Razeekster
    That $200 dollars for a free to play game's foundary pack is a bit expensive? I could understand if that included a lifetime subscription, but this is going to be free to play. I think $100 would be more of a reasonable price, but maybe I'm just crazy or something and this is normal.

It is expensive, unless the Astral Diamonds are worth $400. It seems like a kickstarter.

Try like $43, thats was the last evaluation of the worth was in a comparison to STO and CO comparisons.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Just as a FYI, even as a F2P they still have the same money needs as a P2P game. To me it makes as much sense to do the foundary version at the same cost other games seem to do it even as a F2P game. Its a price model that seems to have been around for a while with the "$200 foundary pack" though I have seen cases where its been higher as well.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I think we need a new acronym: C2P... conned to play.

I specially liked the PC Gamer beta promotion. Their site doesn't include those "lucky people" in any of the announced beta weekends.

PS. In case you didn't know what they said in the official forums about the PC gamer beta access this was posted by their community manager "cmpinpointerror" on January 9 around the time the magazine went on sale and before they had announced their beta schedule:

"Whoa! I apologize for all the confusion regarding PC Gamer and Beta access. Here is the word:

Redeeming the unique key code will grant you one of two horse mounts at random PLUS Neverwinter Beta access. However, we will reveal more official details about our Beta plans once we are closer to it and you will find out when and how you can access the Beta.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion you may have."

No they didn't say explicitly ALL beta weekends access, but they also didn't limit it with words like "some" nor "later"... misdirection accomplished.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50

I'd definitely pay the 200$... in small monthly payments for around 13-15$

i assume its expensive because, from what i've seen from the information available, the game is rich in lore and looks very well done and possibly in need of a bit more funding to make it what they believe it could and should be, and with that being said I see no problems with this. But lets all be honest, that 200$ pack is a rip off.

This new era of pay to play, without calling it pay to play is getting out of hand. Nothing is "Free"2play, but theirs hundreds of free2practice&purchaselaters.

it is free to play, and you can get into beta for free in 5 million ways.

you can play level 1-60 with no restrictions.

They have just launched a Founder Pack giveaway on their homepage.

People just whine because they cant afford the $200 pack.

They should make a $1000 pack. Then the forum would explode with envy.

Don't lie and say it's pay to play etc unless you got proof.

Deal with it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Deal with it.

lol i agree.. on a side note anyone wanna buy me a founders pack?:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Deal with it.

Wow 5 million ways so does this mean you'll ban yourself this time?

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28

Just curious here, but where are you guys getting your information? The game is in ALPHA testing and all testers agree to a NDA. Part of that NDA is that they cannot disclose information about the game. Furthermore, do you think they have the cash shop up and running already? If so, ok I can understand the estimates about how much the Astral Shards are worth. If not, why are you speculating how much the worth of the shards will be?

Personally, I'm not going to get any of the Founders Packs, but I'm not going to bash on anyone that feels the need or desire to do so.

I've said this on almost every post I've made in the last month, but people please STOP SPECULATING...

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by drebian

Just curious here, but where are you guys getting your information? The game is in ALPHA testing and all testers agree to a NDA. Part of that NDA is that they cannot disclose information about the game. Furthermore, do you think they have the cash shop up and running already? If so, ok I can understand the estimates about how much the Astral Shards are worth. If not, why are you speculating how much the worth of the shards will be?

Personally, I'm not going to get any of the Founders Packs, but I'm not going to bash on anyone that feels the need or desire to do so.

I've said this on almost every post I've made in the last month, but people please STOP SPECULATING...

It's not speculationw hen the company itself says that the 200$ pack has value of 549$. It just becomes math to figure out which is the most expensive item. It's 14 items + 3 character slots + 750k astral diamonds + title.

In comparsion the 60$ pack has supposedly 149$ worth of stuff in it and that's 6 items + 1 char slot + 125k astral diamonds + title. 

That's a 400$ difference in value between the two packs. What is so expensive is the question. 

• adkenneradkenner Member Posts: 18

I may be totally wrong, but here would be my guess on the packs. 

The reason the "Actual Value" is so high on the $200 pack is that they will not be offering the Race, The Spider Mount, and the Panther in the cash shop at all....at least not for quite a long time. To me those seem like the most expensive things (or the things certain players would pay the most for). We are trying to put a cash shop value on them...but if they are not available in the cash shop, then they get a big bump due to their limited availability. 

The stuff in the $60 pack will probably be availabe in the cash shop right away. Founders will most likely be getting a discount, but there is not that huge bump in "actual value" because anyone will be able to get them at any time. 

As far as the currency...maybe I'm being silly but I think that they will want people that shell out money in advance to feel like they got a good deal and be the early users/promoters of the cash shop. I don't think its crazy to think that founders would get a significant amount of thier initial investment back in currency. The 200$ pack might even be more...sort of a bonus for shelling out that kind of cash. (~125$ for the 200$ pack....~20$ for the 60$ pack)

I don't think Im going to buy any of the packs...but if you got back anywhere from 33% to 50% or more of  of your money in currency, plus all the other items...I don't think it ends up being that bad of a deal. Again...the people they are targeting with the 200$ pack are people that want and are willing to pay for highly exclusive items.