Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nerf POE Difficulty?

SibcoeSibcoe Member UncommonPosts: 61

Hey Exiles -

I have seen a lot of discussion about the difficulty level in Path of Exile.  It is something I feel strongly about and so made a video about it.  I tihnk you guys will enjoy it and find it an interesting perspective.  You can find it here:

Nerf Path of Exile

Give it a look and let us know what you think.  

Cheers 0/

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

I have a level 28 Shadow in ACT II, just so folks know where I am coming from...

This game is challenging, nothing more. I'm playing Normal difficult. I've done no research on builds or read any forum posts about strategy or anything else; I'm just winging it. Sure, there were a few spots towards the end of ACT I and the beginning of ACT II where I began to question my build and gear, so I just got in a group and leaned on other players in a few spots.

So, NO.  I don't think 3G should make the game any easier. 

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I enjoy the difficulty of the game, I've never been stone-walled, but I was never bored. Granted that was probably due to my style of play, where if I were to get hit I would die.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was how overpowered Multiple Projectile gems are, they literally triple your dps for a 50% increase in mana cost.

Currently I'm awaiting new content while playing "Space Ninjas Online" (Warframe)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It doesn't need a big nerf just a tiny one. I like the challenging play but I can see for some it might be a turn off if it starts to become too much of a chore. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    No way. The difficulty is perfect and there are ways to kite or trick your way out of really difficult situations when you really need to, expand your skill set and try new things, decoy totems are not just for fun. Experience lose is perfect as well, I like trying to properly avoid death and being punished when I'm making mistakes, overconfident or being reckless.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

I find the difficulty to be fun and entertaining.

Keep the way it is please!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Get res's up to whatever your having trouble against. It makes a noticable difference.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• crimsion2501crimsion2501 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    its fine where it is it doesn't need t be nerfed at all if you're good at the game you win if you suck at it then dust yourself of stop whineing and try again maybe your build is bad maybe u should try playing a different way games arn't ment to be interactive stories that u can just push a button to finish it they are ment to be chalengeing and thats half the draw of this game figureing out what works for you if it doesn't roll a new toon and try again 
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Good video, agree the difficulty is just right.
  • lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122

Nah, the difficulty is perfect as is. It's been a long time since I had to carefully analyze a boss' skill set and movement. Heck, even a pack of normal mobs can kill you easily. I'm at Act 3 normal now, can't wait for the other 2 difficulties.

I wish they can fix the random disconnection quickly though. Crawling through 3 floors of a dungeon and get dc the moment you see the next waypoint is extremely irritating!!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Game is fine as it is.. please dont ask for the game to be dumbed down.. tho im pretty sure the devs wont listen to a silly suggestion like that anyway..

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

NO!

So tired of dumbed down games [mod edit]

Theh arder it is the more attention you have to pay to it, the more attention you pay to it the more engrossing it becomes.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    I think the OP answered his own question in his video, dumbing down will remove the value of the game.  I think we all are needing a challenge in games again, and I think PoE executes it well.
  • mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

I have not had this much fun in a game since D2.. not as much challenge since Darkfall 1.0 40v120's :P

Great game! PoE needs to stay the same difficulty, makes it worth playing to me!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I think the difficulty is fine for the most part.  There are a couple of bosses, where being melee is a nightmare.  The final boss in act 2 with cruel difficulty can 1 shot a fully tanked out marauder with capped resist all at 85% and 78% armor mitigation...that's a little steep if you ask me lol.

Edit: It's more of a balance thing I think.  Evasion armored people will have no problem, as I also have a ranger at teh same level, killed him without breaking a sweat lol.  I didn't even get hit by him lol...

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I just finished it on normal, and I dunno.  Piety was insane, I can't even imagine how we could have beaten her without death zerging.  but now onto cruel difficulty, and I'm pretty much losing more xp than gaining.  I'm not ready to pass judgement, since maybe I built my character wrong, maybe its still a learn-to-play issue of some kind.. but I can see why people might have issues.  

It should be tough, definately, but I feel like I'm just getting one-shotted constantly - or more often, three-shotted by three mobs at the same time, so I do feel maybe they could at least do something about how easy it is to lose all shield and health at once.

So of course, I realize that maybe I need to build my character more defensively, but IMHO, even glass cannons shouldn't just get randomly insta-killed.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    no.  at least not yet.  give people time to adjust.  fuck all this instant gratification bs.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    It should stay right where it is... it's perfect that way, challenging and exciting.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vhaln

even glass cannons shouldn't just get randomly insta-killed.

Of course they should.. that's where the name comes from.

Anyway, the answer is don't go glass cannon.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

I enjoy the difficulty of the game, I've never been stone-walled, but I was never bored. Granted that was probably due to my style of play, where if I were to get hit I would die.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was how overpowered Multiple Projectile gems are, they literally triple your dps for a 50% increase in mana cost.

Currently I'm awaiting new content while playing "Space Ninjas Online" (Warframe)

didnt the game come out last week?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Nah, Hard is good. I remember the first time i went up against Girl boss thing in ACT 1 and i figured out i needed to go and get some Ice resist or else i wasnt going to be moving forward anymore.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365

I don't really go on the PoE Forums ever, just once to look at some builds. If people are complaining about this game being too difficult, they must be a bunch of carebears. This game is beautifully balanced for one that just came out a few days ago to open beta. 

People would complain about WoW being to hard, then Blizzard would nerf instances and Raids and afterwards people would complain that It was a game that was too easy. I feel that I wouldn't enjoy this game if the same thing happened to it, easy isn't fun. There is no sense of accomplishment in an easy game, not that PoE is particularly hard. 

DO NOT NERF THE GAME.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

Don't ask for nerf how L2P.

I had some problem with my first characters, but with my lastest character I am having a blast, I die sometimes but most times I just kill everything. You just need to balance your build and it seems that specializing is the way to go.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    The game's difficulty is fine. Let's not water the game down. I'm sure if it's too hard for anyone, there are other games out there with easier settings. There is nothing wrong with a game that challenges you, I  feel it is more rewarding in the end.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    PoE is cakewalk easymode after you try Torchlight 2 with Synergies mod on hardcore/elite
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Vhaln

even glass cannons shouldn't just get randomly insta-killed.

Of course they should.. that's where the name comes from.

Anyway, the answer is don't go glass cannon.

That right there is exactly the problem.  When the answer is don't even try to play that role, I think there's a balance issue.  

Glass cannons should be fragile, but that doesn't mean they should be one-shotted that often, or even ever.  They should die quickly, yeah of course.  Die instantly, no.  Not IMHO.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.