Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] The Repopulation: The Games of 2013: The Repopulation

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Part of our ongoing effort to keep our readers informed is to make sure they have the knowledge they need to be excited about a game. We've reached out to every developer releasing a game this year to have them talk a bit about why their game is special. Next up in this ongoing series is The Repopulation. Read our mini-interview and then talk about it in the comments.

MMORPG: What does 2013 have in store for your game?

Josh Halls: 2013 will be a very important year for us as we enter Private Beta in the Spring and look forward to an end of the year launch timeframe. As we continue to ramp up to these important milestones, our focus is shifting to getting information out about game features. A lot of hard work has gone into getting to this point and we are excited for 2013 and what it will bring.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Repopulation: Games of 2013 - The Repopulation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Can't wait for this one :)

Often lurking, rarely posting

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    The key to this game for me is how they handle the AH and player shops.  As of now they don't have enough information on what way they will go. Lets hope for a more SWG system. If it goes with a more Wow type of AH I will pass.
  • Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    The key to this game for me is how they handle the AH and player shops.  As of now they don't have enough information on what way they will go. Lets hope for a more SWG system. If it goes with a more Wow type of AH I will pass.

I agree this is important; in order to generate real value for the non-instanced housing as well as increase emersion for crafters/merchants and shoppers I beleive an AH would be a terrible way to go.

If they do AH's, I hope they keep it localized, not server wide, and make the fees discouraging so that player properties will be where the majority of transactions take place.

AH's kill socialization and emersion and arrive-in-your-mail systems discourage exploration and reduce the rarity of regional goods/resources.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Personally i'm also in the "SWG style bazar+personal vendor" camp,  but a long running discussion on the repopulation forums shows that there are als many people in the WoW AH camp :)

Feel free to chip in and input your ideas. Can't keep 'm all happy , but maybe there are solutions that can please both.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Yes a much needed addition to the sandbox sci fi world! Bring it on!
  • UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Much more important than local AH is local bank-account / warehousing. This way you have to transport your goods and a full blown logistic-system develops. And logistics in PvP zones is a rather challenging job. Just look at EVE.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    My most anticipated game of 2013!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I haven't been this excited for a game release in a long time. If they can pull off what they are promising, it should be a major hit for us sandboxers.

And, I would love to see the ability to place vendor tents in the game world like we could in SWG.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Muerte_X

I agree this is important; in order to generate real value for the non-instanced housing as well as increase emersion for crafters/merchants and shoppers I beleive an AH would be a terrible way to go.

If they do AH's, I hope they keep it localized, not server wide, and make the fees discouraging so that player properties will be where the majority of transactions take place.

AH's kill socialization and emersion and arrive-in-your-mail systems discourage exploration and reduce the rarity of regional goods/resources.

I don't remember where I read it, but I believe they are leaning towards a system where people place bids, and producers try to fill them competitively.  Don't quote me on this.  going from memory.

I self identify as a monkey.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

God if large MMOs could pull-off what these guys have done, we would see some pretty amazing virtual worlds. I do have a few issues with some of the concepts about how PVPs handled but it's still shaping up to be something pretty amazing.

Still a handful of guys making a sandbox with limited funds with no source code and using hero engine is inspiring to nub developers like me.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Very much looking forward to this one. Tempering my excitement so I'm not disappointed... but I'm hoping it fills some of the voice that SWG left in my MMO enjoyment when it left us. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just fun and as sandboxy as possible.

• LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36
    It's my only hope. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Only MMORPG im looking forward to this year.. now that DF:UW sucks lol..

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    If this game doesnt get "Game of the year" award 2013/2014, depending on release date, i dont know what will.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Nope,  the key will be how they handle the pvp and deal with the gankers.

That will make or break this game.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    This game will survive just from the crafting...PvP won't even matter.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by xNIAx1
    yea you're all REALLY REALLY looking forward to this game! just like you did the last game the failed, and the one before that one and the one before that! Ever think it was YOU that was the problem? these games suck and so do you

Lol, I said GW2 would suck and it does, I said PS2 would suck and it did, I said TSW would suck it did.  I think this game will be good enough to play longterm and much better than the titles I previously mentioned.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    There are only two games I have any interest in   The Repopulation and The Elder Scrolls Online.
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    registered on their web, let's see what brings :-) looks good so far. 
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I really don't like Sci-Fi mmo's but this one has enough sandbox features to interest me a little. I may have to try it, depending on how other mmorpg games end up being this year.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56
    #1 on my list of most anticipated for 2013.
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I'm a backer. So far the dev team is just outstanding as well. I don't believe JoshuaHalls sleeps- he seems to be a machine... The parts of this game I'm looking forward to the most are the ones that smell similar to SWG. Especially the crafting system and player housing. Definitely check out the official website, tons of good info there.

No bitchers.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

This is another open world ffa pvp game, nothing for pveers to do accept sit inside city and craft.

This is another game to please those less then 10% of gamers.

I bet that this game is going to stop taking care of bugs after few month due to low income.

But anyway, eventualy game developers would learn the hard way from their loss.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by znaiika

This is another open world ffa pvp game, nothing for pveers to do accept sit inside city and craft.

This is another game to please those less then 10% of gamers.

I bet that this game is going to stop taking care of bugs after few month due to low income.

But anyway, eventualy game developers would learn the hard way from their loss.

You apparently know a lot less about this game than your trying to lead on. It is not a FFA PvP game. It features a complex generated mission and engagement (similar to events in GW2) system, as well as a boss system that generates special abilities when mobs spawn and which are spawned dynamically through a Den system.

• CeleberegCelebereg Member Posts: 38
    Withdrawn, devs addressed my concerns with recent newsletters and interviews.  Thank you.