Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Questing is a lot like Mist of Pandara (phasing quests)"

zukster2k5zukster2k5 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Here is a video from someone who got to go to the zenimax studios and play and EARLY version of alpha. He goes on the say the questing is linear like Warcraft and even has phasing. This is what worries me most. I really hope they change this.

BUT KEEP IN MIND: This is from October with alpha and it is not set in stone. But still worrisome.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

i actually don't mind phasing.  how linear it is may irk me.  hopefully they go for a more ES feel than a theme park mmo feel with the quests and exploration. 

not sure why you would compare it with MoP.  WoW had phasing in WotLK (maybe before that). 

i'd say wait and see what questing is like before passing judgment.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Meh, just want to wander about and bump into stuff, this is worrying.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Phasing is not a problem if there is no Wpvp.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

The fact that Zenimax continues to try to build the game to cater to TES and MMO fans means we'll definitely see a lot of phasing and personal instances.

It's really the only way they can appease both types of players.

From the videos I've seen the game looks really beautiful and I'm still looking forward to it even though I'd like to see the genre shift back to it's "Massively Multiplayer" roots and stop trying to make every player the hero of the story.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I actually kind of like the phasing aspect. I just hope they do it justice.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

My problem is...

"Look at those ruins"

"What ruins?"

"The ruins of that inn that got burnt down during the Orc invasion"

"What Orc invasion? The inn is still there!"

As long as that kind of thing doesn't happen I am fine with phasing. I remember playing LOTRO and always seeing other players apparently afk at the same location in Rivendell. It wasn't till I got a high enough character I realised you had to talk to an NPC that only appeared when you hit a certain level or got the quest. That kind of thing really irked me for some reason but it was playable. Anything more is bad imo.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I cannot wait for this game, that was amazing.  It plays and feels just like Skyrim he said.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    I cannot wait for this game, that was amazing.  It plays and feels just like Skyrim he said.

it cant hagve phasing and liner questing and still "play and feel" just like Skyrim.

To have liner questing means that there will be level brackets for zones. One area for levels 1-10, next area for 2-20 and the like. This goes hand in hand with their stating that levels 1-50 are just to get you to the heart of the game, PvP. It means the faction zones themselves are meaningless even to the designers placing all their focus on end game PvP. Prepare for another MMO that places its focus on a small portion of the game creating a whole lot of meaningless content.

The game is not going to be like TES except for names of places and NPCs...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

it cant hagve phasing and liner questing and still "play and feel" just like Skyrim.

To have liner questing means that there will be level brackets for zones. One area for levels 1-10, next area for 2-20 and the like. This goes hand in hand with their stating that levels 1-50 are just to get you to the heart of the game, PvP. It means the faction zones themselves are meaningless even to the designers placing all their focus on end game PvP. Prepare for another MMO that places its focus on a small portion of the game creating a whole lot of meaningless content.

Everything you just said is made up on your own beliefs.  I heard the guy who actually played it and will take his advice over yours. I like factual information not your make believe BS.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by zukster2k5

Here is a video from someone who got to go to the zenimax studios and play and EARLY version of alpha. He goes on the say the questing is linear like Warcraft and even has phasing. This is what worries me most. I really hope they change this.

BUT KEEP IN MIND: This is from October with alpha and it is not set in stone. But still worrisome.

Hold on now.  Jesse Cox is a huge WoW fan and the majority of his followers are WoW players.  He uses WoW as a point of reference but don't take that to mean that the game is WoW clone.  You have to understand who the audience of this video is.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

"I don't know what that means but I am excited for the potentiol there..."

The guy is a blathering fool. Who really trusts anyone so obviously hyped to be in the pocket of the Dev enough to get excited by what he says at this point?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Meh, just want to wander about and bump into stuff, this is worrying.

Same here.  One of my favorite things about ES was just wondering around seeing what trouble I could get myself into.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Everything you just said is made up on your own beliefs.  I heard the guy who actually played it and will take his advice over yours. I like factual information not your make believe BS.

Go read the LATEST interview on this very site. And NO, you cant have liner questing without gated content unless that content is SCALED... With no SCALING content, it means that zones will have set level content, set level content means zones with level restrictions. Deal with it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Don't get me wrong I've at a latter date looked up quest chains and gone with stuff to rp a character. Like I'm on with my first evil character in skyrim now, so I'm playing him for seeking raw power, so I'm powering the vampire / daedric / mages / dark brother hood quests, with side stuff like the dwarven forge and guldars amulet.

But on your first are characters its always nice to just bumble about, play it by ear and just stumble into stuff, especially if your going with a anti hero / lovable rogue type character.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Its well known information its nothing like Skyrim and has linear instanced phased zones.

I like people who think for themselves and not believe someone elses bs. You shame your age imo.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related blog written by an ESO fan

http://eso-guides.com/elder-scrolls-online-vs-world-of-warcraft/

What’s will be the difference between ESO and WoW? There is a big fear among the Elder Scrolls fan base that ESO will simply become another MMO, another World of Warcraft with Elder Scrolls names and themes.

While the developers at ZeniMax are working their tails off to make sure this doesn’t happen, we’re going to take a look at some of the differences that we’re already aware of.

Bit fanish that article

I mean first line is about "unique and powerful megaserver"

No its not tsw and sto have same thing.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Go read the LATEST interview on this very site. And NO, you cant have liner questing without gated content unless that content is SCALED... With no SCALING content, it means that zones will have set level content, set level content means zones with level restrictions. Deal with it.

The queting isnt hub based like in most mmo's its exploration based, there are multiple paths to aquire the same quests, its not as linear as most themeparks

False

Originally posted by deakon

The queting isnt hub based like in most mmo's its exploration based, there are multiple paths to aquire the same quests, its not as linear as most themeparks

He doesn't understand...don't bother explaining it.  He has been ripping the game since day one.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by deakon

He doesn't understand...don't bother explaining it.  He has been ripping the game since day one.

Sure hes a hater, but is a fanboy any better?

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• I dislike phasing as much as the next dude, but I like that they're spreading indepent quest hubs around like in MoP so you don't have to follow the same questing path as everyone else.

In WoW I especially disliked meeting up with a friend and us being unable to locate each other because we were in separate phases of the zone. Along with people popping in and out of existence. It's very immersion-breaking.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Anybody know if you can join someone elses phase while questing or exploring?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I don't understand why devs still use this method of gameplay really. We've seen how successful the other methods of nonlinear automatic and remote question is when games are released with those methods. Even if people don't like other aspects of the games they like the ability to not have to run pickup tons of quests, do them all in sequence in a zone, then run back turn them all in rince and repeat. Haven't they learned by now that this is boring? And then there's the question of magic in the world, if there's truly magic then why do you have to run back to talk to someone to turnin a non material gathering quest? Where's the remote communication especially when you are a magic user yourself? It's like playing a scifi game and not having a remote communication device to turn in missions (cough SWTOR cough). smh weird.

It does look like they are taking some key mechanics from games to keep them from being bothersome like one giant shard, some public questing requiring no grouping everyone can participate in those, open world pvp zones. Hopefully it will be a mixture because what usually gives the most options turns out to be the best games.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    TBH ive never got what the problem with phasing is, as long as they actually mean phasing like wow and not swtor (when phasing actually just meant little instances) i really dont have an issue with it at all, in fact I like that my actions can have an affect on the open world