Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR rating as a single player RPG?

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805

What would you rate SWTOR if it was billed as a single player game with some co-op type features?

I got into closed beta, played a few hours, and quit. I could tell it wasn't going to be the MMO for me, but I was thinking I'd come back to play it as a SRPG, and I didn't want to ruin the story.

If you appraoched SWTOR as a single player RPG, what would you say? As good as Skyrim? Better? Worse? Not worth playing?

And, can you play it as a single player game with F2P and still have fun?

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lower than both kotors

Lower than any mass effect

Lower than tsw if you rated that as a sprpg

Higher than dragon age 2

Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as classics like morrowind, skyrim, Planescape and fallout.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    In my opinion the ONLY reason mmo's are fun is because you can play with others, if you take that out then you just have a really boring and redundant experience not worth experiencing.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    In my opinion the ONLY reason mmo's are fun is because you can play with others, if you take that out then you just have a really boring and redundant experience not worth experiencing.

I'm assuming that SWTOR is not a regular mmo, based on all the posts about it. Instead, I was thinking of just playing it like a SRPG, for the story. Would SWTOR be considered a good SRPG?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by olepi

I'm assuming that SWTOR is not a regular mmo, based on all the posts about it. Instead, I was thinking of just playing it like a SRPG, for the story. Would SWTOR be considered a good SRPG?

It would be mediocre. It gets a 7/10 for story from me after 2 max level characters, everything else is 3/10 or lower though, just abysmal. Like an earlier poster said, better than DA2, but not as good as either KotOR

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

If you want to play a mmo like a sprpg, tsw just does it better than swtor imo.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Both SWTOR and TSW are great games to play solo through the story for different reasons. 

IMO SWTOR has some storylines that are up there with KOTOR 1 & 2, though some aren't as good as the others. 

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93

This is really a shame.

SWTOR is a regular MMO. The posts you've read are just haters. There are a lot of people that hated it based on many reason including but not limited to:

1) The wanted GW2 to succeed and look good

2) They are ex-SWG fans, imagined a different game despite being told it was not, and then got upset when they were dissappointed.

3) The normal Debbie Downer mmorpg poster who can't find a game they like so they have the most posts on here hating on all games while they float around trying to find a "gaming high" that felt like the first time. (which will never happen)

4) They actually played the game and eventually moved on. This last category is usually the least vocal, but many of these players generally felt as though they definitely got their money's worth in this game.

At this point the game is free. It is an MMO and there is no doubt of that. In my opinion it offers some aspects like a group finder and the ability to queue warzones with friends which the supposed king GW2 doesn't even have (at least when I played it). Yes there are story lines which voice acting like a single player game, but the whole time you can group and there's thousands of people playing it. 

It's just such a shame people get the wrong info about this game.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

single player game with coop features? 10/10

current state? eatshit/10

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

What would you rate SWTOR if it was billed as a single player game with some co-op type features?

Without the redundence of the MMO features it has and just on story, planet design, graphics, music, combat...I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 for a single player game.

With the redundency of the MMO features, slower leveling, and "having to" co-op quests to complete them...I would give it a 7 out of 10, if the co-op was optional that gave increased difficulty based on co-op, I would go as high as 9 out of 10.

As an MMO like it is, maybe a 5.5 out of 10 thanks to vastly limited MMO features, bad crafting system, no RPing features, poor armor visuals, unbalanced PvP, limited PvP, limited raids/instances, small worlds, segregated faction zones, heavy instancing, lack of things to bring the community together...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

SWTOR is not a single player game.

Every MMO can be single player if you choose not to play with others. You have plenty of things to do with other players in SWTOR and it qualifies it as MMO.

Enuf said.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by dwarfus

This is really a shame.

SWTOR is a regular MMO. The posts you've read are just haters. There are a lot of people that hated it based on many reason including but not limited to:

2) They are ex-SWG fans, imagined a different game despite being told it was not, and then got upset when they were dissappointed.

3) The normal Debbie Downer mmorpg poster who can't find a game they like so they have the most posts on here hating on all games while they float around trying to find a "gaming high" that felt like the first time. (which will never happen)

4) They actually played the game and eventually moved on. This last category is usually the least vocal, but many of these players generally felt as though they definitely got their money's worth in this game.

At this point the game is free. It is an MMO and there is no doubt of that. In my opinion it offers some aspects like a group finder and the ability to queue warzones with friends which the supposed king GW2 doesn't even have (at least when I played it). Yes there are story lines which voice acting like a single player game, but the whole time you can group and there's thousands of people playing it. 

It is an MMO but is in no way in the same league as other MMORPGs. SWTOR to other MMORPGs is like the Sinclair C5 is to an everyday normal car/motorbike!

SWTOR is what it is, and that is not hating on it. If you treat it like a traditional MMORPG then you will hate it more, and that is a shame, because it just does not fulfil you in the same way. If you treat it as an online SRPG from the start then the game will be more acceptable and enjoyabe, and if you want to view it as an MMORPG then fair enough, but to get more people playing it then it is best to advise it be an online SRPG

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

SWTOR is not a single player game.

Every MMO can be single player if you choose not to play with others. You have plenty of things to do with other players in SWTOR and it qualifies it as MMO.

Enuf said.

About 90% of single player games these days have multiplayer modes, even the new soon to be released Tomb Raider game, but they are not classed as MMOs. Even Lego Star Wars Complete Saga allows friends to drop in and out and do missions with you, but it is not listed on this site as a MMO. The same for Red Dead Redemption or Borderlands 2, which are MMOish

It is the reason why millions of people stopped playing the game, and did not want to keep paying a sub fee, and it then went F2P.

This is really a shame.

or

5) they are neither GW2 or SWG fans they bought it (for more money than most pc games) found it was shit and only got a couple of weeks play out of it.

If this game didnt have the star wars ip it would be dead.  the only people playing it are playing it because its star wars,.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Right now in the state it is in SWTOR is a good game say 7.5 to 8 ish, bring in a really good space game and it is a 10 easy
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

There are many good SP RPGs that you probably haven't played. Just play one of them instead of TOR.

As a SP experience, I'd rate it 6/10. The main storylines are decent and can be pretty good, but all the padding in-between is awful.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

This is really a shame.

or

5) they are neither GW2 or SWG fans they bought it (for more money than most pc games) found it was shit and only got a couple of weeks play out of it.

If this game didnt have the star wars ip it would be dead.  the only people playing it are playing it because its star wars,.

Your post is quite funny. I have to admit I got a very good laugh out of it. Here I thought I was playing it because I found it fun. You must have alot of friends, since you know everyone playing TOR.  Well enough to state that like you know it to be true.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

It wasnt umtil i approached it as a single player game that i started to enjoy it.

After laying any ideas of a regular mmo aside, and looked at it as a single player with multiplayer possibilities it became playable.

And as a SRPG, its not that bad, its great value for money if you play F2P.

The downside, as a SRPG, is that its extremely monotonous.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This is really a shame.

This explanation is a shame.

1) There was a stupid thread war between the two games pre-launch. Both games were over-hyped, both games have their critics.

2) This is wrong. SWG players knew SWTOR was not going to be SWG. What they didn't know was that it was going to punch you in the face with how bad it sucked.

3) Nice, unhappy posters are addicts.

4) They bought the box, subbed for an additonal month and left. These are the good citizens of the SWTOR experience?

SWTOR is a sub-par MMO on most counts. It has crippling design flaws and suffers from a lack of depth on many levels. The endgame vacuum is horrendous, and will make you regret playing unless you are the most casual of MMO users, have no real need of horizontal progression or non-combat activities, and love repetitive dailies.

Dwarfus your attempt to villify anyone who objects to this game is wrongheaded and boorish. If you're going to defend SWTOR why don't you list what you think it does well instead of trying to make out critics as ill-informed trolls.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I got into closed beta, played a few hours, and quit. I could tell it wasn't going to be the MMO for me, but I was thinking I'd come back to play it as a SRPG, and I didn't want to ruin the story.

If you appraoched SWTOR as a single player RPG, what would you say? As good as Skyrim? Better? Worse? Not worth playing?

And, can you play it as a single player game with F2P and still have fun?

Good questions. Now that it's F2P, I think I'll revisit it and see how it plays out when I approach it that way.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Draron

Both SWTOR and TSW are great games to play solo through the story for different reasons. 

IMO SWTOR has some storylines that are up there with KOTOR 1 & 2, though some aren't as good as the others. 

Yep, TSW and SWTOR are the two MMO's I'm currently playing.

TSW has the more fun combat and skills system in my opinion.

SWTOR has the edge when it comes to dialogues - your character in TSW never talks, you have no companions with their own story in TSW. Though aside from the lack of interactivity when it comes to dialogues, TSW generally does a better job of pulling you into the story with its missions.

Compared to actual SRPGs it loses to KOTOR and its likes of course, some of the reasons being;

- Dialogues are spread out across all the classes and their unique companions, which leaves most of the companions very underdeveloped - and even the "main" (romanceable) ones pale compared to their single player counterparts (Don't expect a Bastilla, Carth, Leliana, Alistaire, etc...)

- Due to its MMO nature some content is plain padding as already mentioned above, to achieve the timesink that all MMO's strive for, some of that padding is decent, like some "filler" episodes of a good anime series.

Every class has their unique class story and companions, so you could view it as a SRPG whose main story changes depending on the class you pick, while all the generic/side quests remain the same.

A bit like DA where you had your origin story and it impacted the whole thing, except on a much larger scale - where the main story and the "ending" changes based on your class, and you don't all go after the Arch-demon/dragon/darkspawn - instead each class faces their own nemesis in the end.

TL;DR : Give it a try if you enjoy stories, especially if you're a fan of Bioware's games.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

"IF" SWTOR was a SPRPG?

I didn't realise SWTOR had multiplayer...

Oh wait, is that what those other models walking around my screen were when I was playing it when it released? I thought they were just annoying bots who kept tagging my quest mobs...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

SWTOR is really bad as an MMO.

It should have been made as a single player RPG and then it would have been a success.

The vast majority of people here that have played it also say it sucks and there are the very few minority die hard fans (or fan) that can see no wrong in their game (that went from sub to F2P in record breaking time) that will tell you it is the best game out there.

I always tend to listen to the majority. If you ask the audience in 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire', you are not going to side with the only person in the audience that tells you Paris is the capitol of America.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

First time through with a character probably a 8.5 to 9 of 10.

Second time through 7 to 8.

Third time through...4 or 5

Fourth time through, sorry couldn't make it.

But seriously I think the game was quite fun to play through a few times.  I'd tell anyone to go ahead and play it, why not since it went f2p.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

I'm not sure how broken, bugged and shallow features start to get good just because one does ignore players around him.

- The space game doesn't get better just because you have no guild or other players in the space station.

- The limited weapon choices shoehorsed into classes, the lack of romance arcs for certain class / sex combinations, don't get better because you ignore other players around you.

- The generic kill 10 imps (rats) quests don't get more interesting because you ignore the 2 other players in your area which you might didn't even see anyway.

- The lack of consequences for your Light / Dark choices don't suddently start to matter because you ignore the 100 people on the space station.

I'm not saying SWTOR is unplayable or rightout that bad that you can't enjoy it for 20$ (quality of live upgrades for F2P account), i'm just saying "acting like it's a SRPG" is not going to make all the negative points and design issues of features go away.

Actually i would say, playing it like a SRPG is making it worse because some design moronities can be redeemed with other players, and some flashpoint stories aren't that bad if you want to see the story to be concluded (Illum).

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I found SWTOR to be a good SRPG with co-op game play. I played through, had no interest in the end game content (or lack there of) and moved on. As an mmorpg, it is just too shallow  - - it lacks too many features that I expect in an AAA mmorpg.