Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P is not a sell out or Bad

12346»

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    @Gardavsshade soooo much politics over entertainment 0s and 1s. I doubt anyone is going to regret later in life they bought the iWin sword for 5 bucks.

Devs have found ways to get more money out of their product without forcing us to fund them. The nerve of their business...
  • WittekerWitteker Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by greenreen

Yeah F2P is bad. Frankly I've mentioned the reasons so many times in so many places I'm too bothered to type them all out again just to watch someone say - but it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *cracks neck*

If your game starts one way and you change it to be another way then yes, you sold out.

There's a general idea that people change about every 5 years. If a game hasn't been out for 5 years and they change before that, they are breaking down what we know as predictable behavior.

I will never, repeat never play any F2P game when it's known to me. Just changing your payment model to nothing doesn't drag me closer to your game to help save it, it only drives me further away. It proves to me that you don't value your own product. I don't purchase things in stores without knowing the price first either. I'm not a dolt and I know that you need money to run the game. Let's not play games in the interim about it. Set a price and shut up or I will never test your funky "free to stay away" game :)

Guess how much I spent in GW2 - zero, nunca, nodda, nothing, zip, zilch, diddly squat, and a big fat goose egg. I bought it, that was all I said I would do. No amount of events pressured me into entering one credit card number. No amount of boxes that dropped for me without a key I would have to buy to open them intrigued me into paying.

How long I pay my sub games is for years and I have purchased lifetime previously. No shady numbers for me thanks, I want a flat fee, that's my payment model choice and always will be.  

This is the perfect representation of what I do when a game goes F2P when I am subbed to it. (I'm talking about you LOTRO and Vanguard).

The game needs to have been designed with F2P in mind from the getgo.  If a game went from P2P to B2P, that is bad model. 

The thing I don't like about P2P is not the cost.  In fact, for entertainment value, it is very, very cheap.  What I don't like is the way they need to keep you playing, keep you addicted.  They don't want you to take a break.  It doesn't act like real life.  In real life you don't have vertical progression.  The rewards keep coming, and you expect it.  That makes people conditioned to be rewarded for every little thing they do.  People become dependent on the game.  And the game needs to do this, to keep you playing so you continue your subscription.

Originally posted by greenreen

Yeah F2P is bad. Frankly I've mentioned the reasons so many times in so many places I'm too bothered to type them all out again just to watch someone say - but it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *cracks neck*

If your game starts one way and you change it to be another way then yes, you sold out.

There's a general idea that people change about every 5 years. If a game hasn't been out for 5 years and they change before that, they are breaking down what we know as predictable behavior.

I will never, repeat never play any F2P game when it's known to me. Just changing your payment model to nothing doesn't drag me closer to your game to help save it, it only drives me further away. It proves to me that you don't value your own product. I don't purchase things in stores without knowing the price first either. I'm not a dolt and I know that you need money to run the game. Let's not play games in the interim about it. Set a price and shut up or I will never test your funky "free to stay away" game :)

Guess how much I spent in GW2 - zero, nunca, nodda, nothing, zip, zilch, diddly squat, and a big fat goose egg. I bought it, that was all I said I would do. No amount of events pressured me into entering one credit card number. No amount of boxes that dropped for me without a key I would have to buy to open them intrigued me into paying.

How long I pay my sub games is for years and I have purchased lifetime previously. No shady numbers for me thanks, I want a flat fee, that's my payment model choice and always will be.  

This is the perfect representation of what I do when a game goes F2P when I am subbed to it. (I'm talking about you LOTRO and Vanguard).

Arenanet doesn't care if you don't buy stuff from them.  They just want you to play at your free will.  There are plenty of people who never buy any gems.  I think more than 50% of players never buy any gems.  And Arenanet doesn't mind that.  They designed the game from the getgo with this in mind. 

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by VoreDock

I am sick of all you people saying free to play is a sell out or a bad

Tera , SWTOR , Aion  all for teas games went  F2P for one reason  to  give  sub players more people to play with

All had   good numbers but Dev’s can’t justify a games life to publishers on anything less than great numbers

So F2P was added  you can still sub and many do

F2P is a good thing after all without it publishers like EA would kill games and even the sub players would be left out

Or have we all forgot SWG   (Star Wars Galaxys )

It is bad, that's the thing. It not only shows that the business end wasn't sustainable or well planned, but shows a lack of interest in their game. The three games you mentioned had abyssmal reception and offered nothing worth playing. I can't imagine publishers killing games as a bad thing. They're a bad investment for many companies, and those resources could be better allocated somewhere else.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

it isn't that I play that many, it is that I have to PAY for that many if I want the ability to play anytime I want like in a f2p. I do not PLAY 13, I PLAY 5, but wife and kids still come from my pocket.

In order to play a sub game I have to be subbed. that requires a minimum of $15 a month on a month to month basis (not a batch buy). I have some friends that play 1 game, but not others, so If I want to play with my friend Bob for a few days that he has off. I have to be subbed to his game.

Oh wait, my wife and daughter hate that game, so If I want to play with them I have to sub for another $15. Darn, that is already $30 just to play with different people that I want to.

unless you are suggesting that there should only be 1 game that people sub to and damn the rest?

That pretty much exactly what he's suggesting. Your situation doesn't apply to him so he's saying that's your problem. Instead of looking at the big picture and seeing how the f2p system is a beneift to someone he looking at it through a very narrow window. Not that it really matters it won't be to long before most games if not all offer some sort of f2p or freemium model. He'll be eatting his own words then.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

quote above.

1. Too long to read.

2. It is not possible for me to find out how many don't buy gems.  But I know several people who don't, you being one of them.  50% is just a number I threw out there, but it's probably more than that.  I have no idea, but definitely and certainly you don't have to buy any gems whatsoever to play this game.  Money is easy to come by.  You would only buy gems just to get things going faster. 

3. The F2P model in some games take into account the fact that a lot of the people just won't spend any money at all on cash shop.  This is common sense.  This is obvious.  They also know that the moment they force people to use cash shop, they'll lose customers.  Why would they do this?  And they don't do this.  Those games that went from P2P to F2P behave differently though.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

'F2P' cash shop gaming *is* bad, whether you are sick of it or not.

It promotes transient uninvested playerbases that make incredibly bad and unstable communities, it corrupts core game design in order to manipulate the player into the shop, and relies on exploiting the vulnerable to support the industry. All these are bad things.

It is an unethical and obtuse (pricing wise) model that only in the end benefits the freeloader and conpany shareholder, neither of which I have any interest in helping.

The only reasons I have ever heard to support the model have been incredibly selfish ones that fail to look at any kind of wider picture.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

There is no point in talking about F2P on a website based in the western world, too many people that dont know anything about it other than their limited exposure and a massive opinion closed to what they dont know and completely unwilling to learn or change.

Best to just let their world slowly die around them and move forward knowing you are keeping up with the world evolving around you.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ArotonAroton Member Posts: 16

What is bad, is switching to f2p when your game has not been designed for it. But honestly, are you going to tell me that LoL is a bad game because its f2p? Absolutely not.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    If they created quality game in the first place most of these games wouldn't need to go f2p,  most f2p games are just a cash grab.  Milking players because players are to stupid and will pay any amount of money to be ahead, paying out hundreds of bucks for pixels you never will own is something I can never understand, or maybe I'm the stupid one to understand why those players do so.

This is untrue  it's publishers greed driveing F2P and our  bad ecomeny   

if you play a  F2P game and dont like it  What have you  Lost  ?

Don't talk drivel, has nothing to do with the economy, players dedicated to a f2p game will spend more money on that game in the cash shop than they would paying subs, whether the cash shop has fluff or p2w items.  I won't entertain any f2p as they never are really f2p, and in a lot of cases rather sub standard in quality.  I'd rather put money towards other luxuries like holidays, beer, and strippers.  Better than looking at a 50 buck pixel don't you agree?

I agree! Although fishing gear just don't really get it! lol :p

• ArotonAroton Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Aroton

What is bad, is switching to f2p when your game has not been designed for it. But honestly, are you going to tell me that LoL is a bad game because its f2p? Absolutely not.

it's a great game. 100%.

but it's not an MMO so it's not relevant.

hell, eve + plex = F2P also, but again it's a vare strong twist to the meaning of 'f2p' so it's also a great game but irrelevant.

This sounds more like you think the implmentation of most f2p games is bad. Which IS valid, but f2p does not automatically make the game bad.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    If they created quality game in the first place most of these games wouldn't need to go f2p,  most f2p games are just a cash grab.  Milking players because players are to stupid and will pay any amount of money to be ahead, paying out hundreds of bucks for pixels you never will own is something I can never understand, or maybe I'm the stupid one to understand why those players do so.

I agree with this 99.9%... the other .1% goes to "It depends on the type of F2P model" and whether it was designed to draw the "whales", as the greedy bastards peppering the industry put it.  *cough*scumbags*cough*

Personally, if I see "Free To Play" on STEAM, I avoid it like the plague.

• DireLionDireLion Member Posts: 9

Tera , SWTOR , Aion  all for teas games went  F2P for one reason  to  give  sub players more people to play with

All had   good numbers but Dev’s can’t justify a games life to publishers on anything less than great numbers

F2P is a good thing after all without it publishers like EA would kill games and even the sub players would be left out

Ive played Eq2 on and off since day one (  and yes I messed up my dragon egg aswell) So I went back a week ago and what did I find...  The best interface Ive ever seen or used and Ive used most of them. Tweeking out an interface  to the extent they perfected blew me away.... Im back playing Eq2.  For a bit.

What Im getting at is Yes I agree with the free to play model but it has its draw backs.  Look at SWTOR. I Beta tested, preorder, Big Starwars fan....  4 months latter borred to death.  Look its free now, wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot stick.   Its a one player game made into an MMO.  Now if you put SWG back online I would pay 15 a month.  Pre CU  20 a month. Wow is so done I beleave they should have moved on in a better direction instead of trying to milk any and all cash out of china with Panda ville. Played Pandoria and loved it...then the same old again.  Most of the free to play models are crap, but to a first time player to an mmo it might be the greatest game they have ever played and will never forget it.  My Ac1 will allways stay in my heart and I still talk about the good times there once in a while with friends like the end of Beta ect...

I beleave its more then just pvp or Leveling ect... for most people , but a place to call home away from home. Now what do we do in our homes? We place stuff we found bought  experienced and given.  Safe place for our Loot we work so hard for and to display it and not shoved into Vault.  All and all its all about the money  and we know this. Not enough scrips to make payrole or bank even with investers, F2P if they can to keep most still working and keep this baby alive.   And no I will never forget what SOE did to SWG. Not just CU, they didnt listen to the players.....at all.                                                                                                               

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve regardless of how many times you may have failed in the past or how lofty your aims and hopes may be.”
    -Napoleon Hill-

• rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80

I have played lots of F2P online games. It starts out as fun in the beginning but for most, I have trouble around the midlevels since even new players who are funded are able to buy boosts and premiere items from the cash shop.

It becomes sad to follow someone 10 levels lower than you just because he has badass armor and can tank while you have to stay with in-game items.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Old games that go F2P in order to squeeze more money, are almost always trash.

New games built around the F2P concept, with a CS, can be good games. Look at LoL and PS2.

B2P has ALWAYS been around, dont understand why people talk about it like its something new.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Wrong, free players of SWTOR cannot enjoy the same content that the Sub-Players are playing.(SOUND LOGIC)

Also, in yellow you just contradicted yourself very hard.

You may want to compose your butt-mad before posting, in hopes of ever getting your point across, or even making sense.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    A sub game goes F2P because not enough people are playing the game.  The OP actually makes this point by saying that it gives paying players someone to play with.  I don't think a conversion to F2P is a sell out, I think it's a matter of survival.  If the game had tons of sub players, it would have no need to go F2P.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Onomas

Its not. . Anyone with a decent job can easily afford a 15/month fee. depends on the country, right now decent work in some countries means u have money just to live yourself. dont forget and the phone / internet fee.

Only a handful of games that went F2P did it well enough to actualy feel free. The rest are bottom feeders trying to suck as much money out of us and our kids to keep an already bad game going. true

Going F2P doesnt make the game any better. also true

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN