Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by muffins89
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jan/29/elder-scrolls-online-characters

Interesting.

That's a good number, but it's not going to be nearly enough if everyone's all on one server.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by aesperus
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jan/29/elder-scrolls-online-characters

Interesting.

That's a good number, but it's not going to be nearly enough if everyone's all on one server.

there is more than one instance of Cyrodiil.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Interesting.

You get assigned to what they are calling "campaigns" when you enter cyrodiil and those campaigns basically act as your home server when pvping

• stiz4shizstiz4shiz Member UncommonPosts: 14

Interesting.

From what I understand the whole "Mega-server" isn't actually one server. It's instanced like many other games, but it will just auto-place you in a server with your guildmates or people on your friends list. At least that's how it sounded to me.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    im pretty excited now , he finally confirmed that the game will have realm abilities through pvp and realm point system just like dark age of camelot had and what really screwed guild wars 2 for me. I know this isnt DAOC 2 but man if they nail the pvp like DAOC had with a more refined feel they can hit it out of the park with the old DAOC and WAR crowd for sure. Im looking really forward to more info on their exact system for pvp for sure. I love skyrim and oblivion for sure but long term pvp I think DAOC had the best and its good to see they are designing their pvp system around DAOC.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by cronius77
    im pretty excited now , he finally confirmed that the game will have realm abilities through pvp and realm point system just like dark age of camelot had

Yeah, I was glad to see that too.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    I still find this very funny. They're using a modified Hero Engine, not an in-house engine. 2k players will be instanced by area. the most is going to be around 200-300 before another area instance spins up. Go play swtor to see how this works. click on world map and see how many instances are up. Pretty funny how reporters never ask them anymore, because the back lash of using hero seems to blind many that it's great tech now. swtor is the old tech which is why they have had so many darn issues, and that not counting the training they have to provide new engineers.

Strange they would have to hide the fact. still 200-300 is pretty good for a battle. Not like this game is EVE with time dilation.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Interesting.

That sounds a little problematic.

If the idea is to have everyone playing on 1 server, and the pvp is supposed to be persistant; how is that going to work w/ it being instanced?

Originally posted by NC-John

I still find this very funny. They're using a modifief Hero Engine, not an in-house engine. 2k players will be instanced by area. the most is going to be around 200-300 before another area instance spins up. Go play swtor to see how this works. click on world map and see how many instaces are up. Pretty funny how reporters never ask them anymore, becuae the back lash of using hero seems to blind many that it's great tech now. swtor is the old tech which is why they have gad so many darn issues, and thats not counting the training they have to provide new engineers.

Strange they would have to hide the fact. still 200-300 is pretty good for a batlle. Not like this game is EVE with time dilation.

Its 2k players per instance of cyrodiil 200 players on screen and they are using an in house engine not the hero

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

I still find this very funny. They're using a modifief Hero Engine, not an in-house engine. 2k players will be instanced by area. the most is going to be around 200-300 before another area instance spins up. Go play swtor to see how this works. click on world map and see how many instaces are up. Pretty funny how reporters never ask them anymore, becuae the back lash of using hero seems to blind many that it's great tech now. swtor is the old tech which is why they have gad so many darn issues, and thats not counting the training they have to provide new engineers.

Strange they would have to hide the fact. still 200-300 is pretty good for a batlle. Not like this game is EVE with time dilation.

yeah but i got a feeling that blaming the hero engine for how shitty SWTOR is , is going to just show you how bad bioware and EA was with SWTOR instead. WAR had gamebyro engine which is a pretty damn terrible engine as did rift and look at all the players they could get on a screen for pvp before it lagged down completely. I honestly think the horrible devs at bioware and EA are really to blame on why that terrible game is so heavily instanced. But I could be wrong with this as I do not know of that many multiplayer games that use this engine.

Interesting.

If the idea is to have everyone playing on 1 server, and the pvp is supposed to be persistant; how is that going to work w/ it being instanced?

You get locked to a campaign, each campaign is persistant

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by deakon

Its 2k players per instance of cyrodiil 200 players on screen and they are using an in house engine not the hero

Still using it. They changed the renderer and client server tech. you can do that with Hero source and time. it's pretty dumb to all of a suden throw away years of work in hero prtotyping then scrap it for a new engine. read between the lines.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

Originally posted by deakon

Still using it. They changed the renderer and client server tech. you can do that with Hero source and time. it's pretty dumb to all of a suden throw away years of work in hero prtotyping then scrap it for a new engine. read between the lines.

Did you read it?

"so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind"

and

"There are no compromises with the technology that we’re using – everything in the game’s engine was written for this game, with no extraneous code, features, or tools."

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Interesting.

it's instanced.  each instance is persistant.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by stiz4shiz

Interesting.

From what I understand the whole "Mega-server" isn't actually one server. It's instanced like many other games, but it will just auto-place you in a server with your guildmates or people on your friends list. At least that's how it sounded to me.

Correct, its still basic servers but the technology allows them to be all networked together.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Interesting.

it's instanced.  each instance is persistant.

Its zoned and each zone is persistant.  Big difference between instances and Zones.  Instances are like WoW Battlegroudns and Dungeons.  Zones are like GW2's Queendsdale or WoW's Northrend.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Hopefully the setup of the game will require players to constantly spread themselves out so that all players moving about in giant zergs will be detrimental to the war effort.

One thing I fear is that they may choose to have the climax of the RvR campaign to be a massive assault on Cyrodil. Every player converging in the same spot would be disastrious since either the server will crash every time or under so much stress the battle won't be enjoyable for anyone.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why is this big news
    Planetside 2 handles 2000 players per continent.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Interesting. Hopefully its not just one huge zerg but multiple battles happening all over the zone.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not hero engine

It's a "custom engine" in the same way skyrim is a "custom engine"

E.g. a heavily modified version of gamebryo.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    hows is it going to work if you want to join a campain that your friends are in that is full? will there be a transfer/que system? haven't really looked into it much

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    hows is it going to work if you want to join a campain that your friends are in that is full? will there be a transfer/que system? haven't really looked into it much

Apparently you can transfer Campaigns with pvp points you accumulate. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Originally posted by cronius77 im pretty excited now , he finally confirmed that the game will have realm abilities through pvp and realm point system just like dark age of camelot had

Yeah, I was glad to see that too.

Same here! Much better then just pvp armor or pvp just for fun...wich is not all that fun without char porgression.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• Originally posted by Aerowyn

First it will probably be a good idea to coordinate to get into a campaign that has space for you and your friends both. But if you do somehow end up in the wrong campaigns anyway, you can transfer to another. But they don't want people bouncing back and forth through campaigns so there'll be a cost... possibly accumulated PvP points in the campaign, or a portion of it.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

So campaign = large instance.  2k is an impressive number but I'm doubtful about performance. 

More importantly, how long do they expect to keep pvpers attention in the same zone?  I'm having a really hard time seeing any longevity in this game if people are limited to one zone for pvp and can't leave faction zones for pve.  After 2-3 months this will grow tiresome. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube