Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 Things you have to know in ArcheAge: A review and guide

rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80

Hi guys. rpg_gunner here with a gaming article for all you curious readers! I made some tips and insight for the new game, Archeage. It was released 2 weeks ago and is fairly new in South Korea. I was fortunate enough to try the open beta of the thanks to a Korean friend for she was able to provided me with an access code that allowed me to experience this game that I believe will be a hit in the coming months. Mind you, so far the only way I could play was because of some help with the language. As a foreigner, I needed the help of a translator to give me an idea of what I had to do and what the interface meant.

Another interesting thing news about ArcheAge it would be soon available in the West thanks to Trion. Hopefully, it gets release soon so that we can all enjoy this wonderful game.

So without further ado, here are some tips for those interested with the game: 

As a beginner in Archeage, starting out in this strange new world can be a difficult and taxing experience. So here, let me share advice on how to build a better character, increase your monetary gain, and maximize the fun you can get out of this unique experience.

1. Know what you want to do in Archeage
There are many ways to enjoy ArcheAge! You can do the usual routine of hunting monsters, the exciting path of hunting of other players, or even taking it easy by focusing on building your own house and garden. Not content with just fixing your own home? Then be a lord of a castle commanding over numerous homesteads and protect your local populace. Know what type of character you want to be and you will be able to fully enjoy the endless possibilities of this game. As of the writing of this article, I have not yet tested the PvP and house building options so I might get back to that soon! 

2. Selecting your capability considering the ‘linked effect’
In order to come up with your final job, you have to pick 3 out of the 10 possible capabilities. Upon character creation, you get to choose 1 with an additional at levels 5 and 10. I suggest picking a combat based capability first such as fight, wild nature, magic, or mission. Other abilities like love, witchcraft, and will are more of accessory traits and can be picked up later.
Don’t worry if you made a mistake with the capability you picked. You can talk to an NPC in the village and pay a specific amount to have it changed. It’s better to have it changed as soon as possible since your capabilities level up too! It would be an annoyance to start again from level 1 if you already have a level 10 ability. Also, remember that your capabilities are linked and can affect each other. For instance, Mission works well with Fight or Wild nature while Magic is harmonious with Death or Witchcraft. Find your own mix and see what works for you.

3. Select equipment regardless of your job
Unlike the convential role playing games that impose strict restrictions on armor classes, ArcheAge doesn’t follow that format. Warriors need not wear strong metal plated armor and wizards need not keep using robes. Dress yourself according to the function you wish to fulfill. For example, I use a Wizard class while wearing somewhat heavy armor to minimize the damage from the monsters I hunt. This can also go the other way with me choosing leather to increase magic resistance. This makes the game a better simulation because I believe that mages do not ALWAYS use light armor. It’s my own preference and that is something that you can apply too when you play this game!

Thanks for reading! This is only Part 1 though. Part 2 will come during the week. For the people who, like me, cannot wait for this game to be released here in the US. Let’s hope they make it happen soon!!!

I am an aspiring game reviewer and writer so please tell me what you think about both for the game and this article.  Thanks! :D

Comments

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    I so wish this would launch in a few months.  image

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Nice writeup/guide but I won't be personally playing this title.  I am not a fan of the graphics and animations.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

good review!

Please add more I

All Will Be Well.....

• NydornaNydorna Member Posts: 9

Thanks -- this gave me some insight into the gameplay!

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    THIS is the game i been waiting for, for almost 2 years now...I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! I was waiting for Elders Scrolls Online but that has gone to shit with the stupidity of locked factions so its off my list. Plus im a hardcore sandbox guy...

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Thanks,! Cant wait to get my hands on AA. Its goin to be crazy fun times.

• rpg_gunnerrpg_gunner Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by adderVXI
    I so wish this would launch in a few months.  image

Same here! I can't wait for it. Hopefully, they get to release this by the 2nd quarter of this year!

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Nice writeup/guide but I won't be personally playing this title.  I am not a fan of the graphics and animations.

Seriously? You wouldnt play a game simply because of its graphics and animation style? Theres a thing called content and mechanics.

Originally posted by Betaguy

Thank you for the praise! I'm trying to learn how to write articles properly.

Yeah I understand your point with the graphics too. I'm just pumped about having your own house, vassals, and some naval battles. Whatever floats your boat (get it?). Haha 

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by rpg_gunner

Same here! I can't wait for it. Hopefully, they get to release this by the 2nd quarter of this year!

I doubt it'll come out in the States before 2014.

Originally posted by SaintWalker44

good review!

Please add more I

Thanks SaintWalker44! I'm coming up with part 2 soon. I'll probably get to post after the weekend or something.

I can't play without my friend since I don't understand the language. I'll add more tips I discover while playing. Stay tuned!

Originally posted by Nydorna

Thanks -- this gave me some insight into the gameplay!

I haven't fully experienced the entire game myself. Just some bits and pieces. But it's looking good so far!

Originally posted by Dantae87
    THIS is the game i been waiting for, for almost 2 years now...I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! I was waiting for Elders Scrolls Online but that has gone to shit with the stupidity of locked factions so its off my list. Plus im a hardcore sandbox guy...

Hey same here! Been looking for a good online game. I was playing LOTRO but I didn't like how I needed to constantly shell out so much cash for premium items.

Let's hope it comes out soon!

So far it is looking great. Once I get to play it in English though, then that's where I'll totally go bonkers. :D
    Originally posted by VitaminK
    Originally posted by rpg_gunner

I doubt it'll come out in the States before 2014.

Hey there VitaminK! One can only hope right? :) 

But realistically, you may be right. Has there already been talks on who's really taking control of the rights for the game in North America?

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    I liked how you were concise with each point, so that it was easy to read while still getting decent insight.  A link to a skill builder would be nice for point 2, and some screenshots of your wizard wearing heavy armor and then leather would've been nice illustrations during point 3.  Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • hellokittypink17hellokittypink17 Member Posts: 5
    Nice write up. Your article gave me more insight about this game and honestly I can't wait to play this game. It looks fun and different from others. Show us part 2, I can't wait to read more about the game. Thanks and keep on writing. :)
  • firestarter017firestarter017 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for your insight. Been waiting for this game for a long time now. Where's part 2?
  • necredonnecredon Member Posts: 118
    I'm sorry but this is not a review nor an insightful post. You list 3 features and expand a little on it, no own experience included even.
  • SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by necredon
    I'm sorry but this is not a review nor an insightful post. You list 3 features and expand a little on it, no own experience included even.

Lighten up dude...

All Will Be Well.....

• firestarter017firestarter017 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by SaintWalker44

Originally posted by necredon

Lighten up dude...

You have to chill. The dude is an amateur writer. Give the person a break.
  • SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

The guy is asking or criticism. He got it. Necri is right.

i was thinking how could someone right an advice column for AA when they have neither pvpd or done anything with a house. Those r two huge aspects of the game.

it also annoyed me that the title said "10 things" yet I only got 3.

what was there was well written tho incorrect in some areas(calling names). 

As a first time writer I give 2 out of 5. Would have been 3.5 if there were actually 10 things

Originally posted by Sebali

The guy is asking or criticism. He got it. Necri is right.

i was thinking how could someone right an advice column for AA when they have neither pvpd or done anything with a house. Those r two huge aspects of the game.

it also annoyed me that the title said "10 things" yet I only got 3.

what was there was well written tho incorrect in some areas(calling names). 

As a first time writer I give 2 out of 5. Would have been 3.5 if there were actually 10 things

Hey there. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your comments. Just got excited in writing about Arche Age. I'm continuing with part 2 so I can reach 10 tips eventually. :)

Arche Age – 10 tips part 2

Hey guys. I finally got to finishing part 2 of the 10 tips. I only tackle a few at a time since I have been busy with some requirements. Hope that these next 3 things in the list help you out.

Thanks to those who took time to read part 1. If you enjoyed it then I am thankful. To those who found it problematic, I’ll do better in my writing. I’m far from being great but we all have to start somewhere. J

4. Save colored / special equipment

As with most MMO games, monsters and quests give you both valuable and junk equipment. You can distinguish such by the way their names are colored. These can be highlighted with green or other colors depending on their rarity. Be sure to save some of these items even if you don’t plan on wearing them later on. You see, you can get an archium material through a disassembly process. This material is needed to make luxury equipment later on. So be sure to save them. Sell the other items you don’t need to ensure that you get some cash inflow for your character. I snagged some green level robes from a monster hunt but I don’t think I’ll be wearing them anytime soon since I’ll put it through disassembly later on. Gotta learn how to do so first.

5. Acquire resources quickly and use labor points aggressively

The game has a labor component that is used as the primary option for accumulating resources. By expending labor points, you acquire resources from trees, ores, and other places. Labor is then recovered at a rate of roughly 1 per minute, For instance, if you see an ore patch or tree while roaming the map, just collect from them. It’s similar to that in Skyrim where you get to chop logs and get ore from mines. Also, logs and ore are important minerals that can be traded and used later on.

At level 1, you have 1000 labor points. Cutting a tree down gives xp too, so fighting monsters isn’t the only way to level up. It regenerates even when you are logged out of the game, I believe. That’s even more reason why not to skimp on using it.

6. Take your pet and always train it

In this game you get pets which can be used for movement purposes (mount) and combat. Depending on your pet and how you raise it, you get to learn and assign skills as it too levels up. Be sure you always have your pets with you so that they too gain experience and level up. I’ve heard that you can use them for battle but I’m not sure if this means they aid you in monster hunting or if you get to use them Pokemon style. Take note that while you can use your mount to attack, it is significantly weaker than your battle pet. You get pets at different quests. So far, I only use a basic mount and have no battle pet.

Here's a sample of a battle pet I saw on the internet. Hope I can get one too.

See you again next time when I get to the next part of this series. Have a great week guys!

Arche Age - 10 tips Part 3

I’ve finally come to finish the remaining part for the ten tips I was trying to accomplish since a while back. It has been an experience trying to write and express myself. I have learned from those who commented and give tips on what to improve. So here is the last part. Please comment and tell me how to improve myself. Thanks!

7. Aim to exceed quest requirements for bonuses
    Quests require you to turn in some items obtained from monster drops or based on the number of monsters killed. Once you speak to an NPC, he will mark the quest as done and give you the appropriate rewards. You will then be compensated for your efforts. However, it might seem like a paltry sum compared to the amount of travelling and hunting you have done. There is a way around this though. Give around 150% of the requirements and you can enjoy higher returns on your questing. I suggest doing this since you travelled far to kill monsters anyway. Might as well get an extra feather, pelt, or two. Doing quests this way makes it faster to level up and will help in the long run. 

8. Focus on quests for livelihood
    In ArcheAge, the livelihood element is a big part in increasing your character’s strength. There is limit in training a character by means of combat since you would need to take part in siege warfare or PvP. You must produce weapons for either defending or attacking a castle which means that emphasis should be put into production and manufacturing. As such, resources are needed and these can be obtained either by foraging in the world map or by tending your own farm. Foraging is limited since you will be competing against other players for scarce resources. Having your own farm means that you have a steady supply of materials at hand. The only downside is that players can invade your garden to either vandalize or steal your hard work. Make sure you take care of your home as it is one of the vital parts of leveling and gaining resources. 

9. Visit a priest or sister after your character dies 
    After level 10, a penalty is applied every time you die. You lose some of your experience points when this happens. This is extremely annoying especially after spending time trying to level your character in the first place. To solve this, make sure you visit a temple and talk to the priest or sister there. You can recover up to 90% of the lost experience by using your labor points. This will be a definite lifesaver once you reach the higher levels and get killed aggressively by any PvP players.

10. Increase move speed when you can.
    Once you reach level 5, you gain access to abilities that can increase your speed. This ‘speed’ ability is like sprinting which drains your stamina while in use. You can use this skill repeatedly in order to travel from village to village. This is especially important for early players who do not have access to pets or mounts yet. While traveling, you may find tonics that restore stamina and help you continue on running. Make use of this skill as early as you can in order to get a lot of things done.

So far that does it for the 10 tips I have discovered in the game. I will try to make more updates when possible. Hope you enjoyed what I was able to write down. Have a great week everyone!