Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the Only One Who Thinks This?

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
That $200 dollars for a free to play game's foundary pack is a bit expensive? I could understand if that included a lifetime subscription, but this is going to be free to play. I think $100 would be more of a reasonable price, but maybe I'm just crazy or something and this is normal.

Smile

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

None of the pre-orders are worth the money.

Having the first pack valued at 50$ gives reference of an insanely expensive cash shop PW-style.

Considering the dungeon master tool needs to bought aswell there probably won't be a massive community in creating adventures, which becomes their downfall. Unless they change their stuff this game is going to sink.

• ChadiwickerChadiwicker Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Considering the dungeon master tool needs to bought aswell there probably won't be a massive community in creating adventures, which becomes their downfall. Unless they change their stuff this game is going to sink.

From what I have read, the Froundry is free to everyone after they reach level 15 (founder pack buyers get the Foundry earlier).

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Non of the beta access packs are  worth it ..unless you realy realy want that spider mount, but hey its PW they will try anyting to make  a few bucks by offering things a few players may want coz like it or not some gamers will buy it and the production cost are near 0 (its mostly goodies that are slight visual change of other ingame assets or items not used during production)

Next up are the chest of shadows, buy them now and get a black spider mount almost like the founders one! loot chance 2% , cost only $5 per chest! get them now!!!!!!!

Self restrain is needed when playong PW/cryptic games :P

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Perfect World has nothing to do with the founder offers...these things have been around since Asherons Call 2 and City of Heroes.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

BTW, no I am not buying one of those packages, not unless I can get into beta and see this "action" combat in play...I will not get suckered into an action combat MMO if there is a chance it will be like Tera's craptastic action combat that isnt action at all. Locked in magic casting and a dodge on a skillbar is not action packed. Vindictus was ACTION packed...hell, Asherons Call was action packed...Tera was crap, pure crap with few skills on top of it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Perfect World has nothing to do with the founder offers...these things have been around since Asherons Call 2 and City of Heroes.

Yeah but they had those when both of those games were P2P and they were subscriptions for lifetime. This is a lot different so I find $200 to be kind of steep.

Smile

• ArotonAroton Member Posts: 16
    I may be mistaken, but don't these packs come with a shit ton of the cash shop currency? Like 750k of it for the 200 dollar version.
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Yeah but they had those when both of those games were P2P and they were subscriptions for lifetime. This is a lot different so I find $200 to be kind of steep.

it isnt a lot different, you are getting 750,000 of their cash shop credits to spend thus making up for the $15 a month you are saving from a lifetime sub...going by Perfect World coins or whatever they are called it looks to be worth over $400 worth of cash shop credit.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Aroton
    I may be mistaken, but don't these packs come with a shit ton of the cash shop currency? Like 750k of it for the 200 dollar version.

Sure, but we have no idea what 750,000 astral diamonds means.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I wouldn't be so quick to agree with the op if maybe they would give us some more dang gameplay footage or something.  I mean actual video of someone sitting down and playing the game recently.  I will definitely be playing this game and hope to enjoy it and use the cash shop, but it's just too much of a risk at this point, especially with an MMO when even something like the game not "feeling" right when you play it can cause you to hate it.
  • ArotonAroton Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Saerain

Agreed, thats a terrible PR move, honestly without an open beta I dont know how anyone could buy that pack. Only point being, it IS more than just mounts, and chests.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

The founder's offer is more a Cryptic thing than a PWE thing.  I found it absurd though that were only only offering those items for a $200 edition, I'd expect something more like a traditional founder's pack where you receive monthly currency to spend and benefits other unlocks you'd get normally as a "subscriber" like having expansion content automatically unlocked for you.  Throwing in a bunch of items especially when we haven't played the game with no future benefits seems a bit strange to me.

The trailer was amongst the cheesiest I've seen in a long time.  It's like they aren't taking this seriously.

I'd personally value the items like so:

$10 - New Race

$10 - Armored Spider Mount

$10 - Panther Companion

$5 - Golden Moonstone Mask Set

$5 - Armor Aura

$5 - Bag

??? - Dungeon Master Unlock (I thought this was going to be a normal feature in game)

$5 - Treasure Box

$5 - Adventurer's Helper Pack

$2 - Respec Token

$5 - Legacy Weapon

$5 - Robe of Useless Items

??? - 750,000 Astral Diamonds (they should give us an idea of how much this actually is)

3 extra character slots - ~$10

Bundling it all together: At least 50% off since we are essentially preordering it.

So I'm only looking at $38.50 in value here and 2 unknowns, for $200?

I wasn't a fan of Cryptic's business practics in the past and Perfect World cash shops have always been expensive, but managable (especially since you can buy most of the items from the PWI from other players with a bit of grinding anyway); however unless those 750k Astral Diamonds are something like $300 worth of in game currency their current cash shop model isn't looking very good at the moment.  Remember PWE and Cryptic it's "MICRO"transactions

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    When cash = prestige, there is a problem yes.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Originally posted by chaintm
    When cash = prestige, there is a problem yes.

Agreed. Also I think it's wrong to charge for races but that's probably just me.

Smile

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Saerain

People on the official forums compared it to STO and CO stores equivilent.  Pretty much once it's converted to Yen tthe American dollar worth is sitting round $43 to be used in the store I assume.  Yeah you would think 750k would be like $80or $120 worth but really it only comes out to $43 if those who did the calculations were right, it comes out to $43.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    That $200 dollars for a free to play game's foundary pack is a bit expensive? I could understand if that included a lifetime subscription, but this is going to be free to play. I think $100 would be more of a reasonable price, but maybe I'm just crazy or something and this is normal.

The fanboys will tell you no, but the normal MMO crowd would say fuck yeah it's a bit expensive.  I reckon only the Drizzit/Drow fan cluib is going after this, or the blind citing that they are supporting Cryptic.  I would condsider $200 if it had that value but all you get is that drow race (yes race since you get a whole new racial ability which consitutes being a different race), panther companion (again with the Twarpzit marketing), and a armored spider mount that I can care less for all of these.  The rest are minor things that will be common commodaties in the cash shop.  Even then they should have went with $90 or $120.  GW2 you had a lot of fan  merchandise like the Grimlock statuetes, pet, artbook, OST.... now THAT is a collectors edition and not this Closed Beta sales pitch crap.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Even $100 for what is on offer is excessive. The base pack is garbage.
    I will wait for free launch as I am sure most will.
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Even $100 for what is on offer is excessive. The base pack is garbage. I will wait for free launch as I am sure most will.

Yeah, I'm a bit mistified with free to play titles trying to cash in on overly expensive foundary packages for people to get into betas. It's starting to turn into something normal which I consider bad.

Smile

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Nope only complainers and crybabies think so.  For some of us this is a perfect opportunity to support Cryptic with the funds for an awesome MMO. 

Now if the price was mandatory you would have a complaint but this founders pack is for those who want the items and the guarenteed beta invites.  Nothing wrong at all because the company is providing the things players want and not what they need.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Chadiwicker
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

From what I have read, the Froundry is free to everyone after they reach level 15 (founder pack buyers get the Foundry earlier).

I play STO and I am so happy PW bought sto i really am. The only issue I have had with STO is that whomever was in charge of the accounts before PW came along didn't pay attention didn't send out receipts and lost most of my ship purchases after the change over. Ever since PW took over the game it has become very well balanced. It doesn't take any time at all to build rep, it doesn't take much to get currency, it doesn't take anything at all to get the items you want from the Exchange. I like how they've changed this game. I hope Neverwinter takes many things the way STO is handled right now.

I have yet to see a sample of the store items, so I'm not really sure how that will play out but if it's anything like STO's items (items that make it mildly more fun but not necessary to play the game and in game currency gathering that can be converted to the store currency for free) I'm not worried.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

It is expensive, unless the Astral Diamonds are worth $400. It seems like a kickstarter.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

No, you are not. Personally, I think anyone shelling out $200 for a F2P game before trying it out is a god damn idiot, but maybe that's just me.

I have no problem paying $100-200 per year for playing a quality MMO. Frankly, I just don't see NW entertaining me even for a full year so paying up front would be pure madness.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

If this is what they are willing to ask for a few items and perks *before* launch, imagine what they are going to try and skin you wth once you get invested into your character down the road....

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They have 3 price options, 200 is the most expensive one.

Is it more than I would pay? Yes. Does it bother me? No.

People will pay this, I am not one of them. Why make a thread about it? There is nothing in the pack that is Pay to Win. Its just optional fluff stuff. The game is free for those that dont want to invest beforehand.  

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

From all I have read PW seemEd to be cash grabbing from word go .  I am so disappointed in the way they have approached the game so far.

But it's a shame the I.p needs better then the floored cryptic engine .

Based on all current information as of the 2nd of feburary you can only get into the beta by paying for a founders pack without even a free beta weekend to decide .

This acasionan I am giving this one a miss and remember some wise words I heard recently. " Neverwinter by PW is not going to be like the vest game ever made ..... Neverwinter Nights!!   

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall