Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe it's because practice Wing Chun in RL...

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Maybe it's because practice Wing Chun in RL...

...but I have to say that I am really digging this game so far.  I'm only several hours of play into the game, but it's such a breath of fresh air.    The martial arts setting and everything is a great change from the same old high fantasy we are bludgeoned with in MMO games.

It didn't take long to get used to the UI and basics of the game.  The game is great looking with all settings maxed.  It could be better looking, but performance is silky smooth good on my system. What's I've seen of it reminds me of Lotro's graphics on DX10, though this is clearly better in some ways.

I still need to join a guild, get into grafting and do some exploring to get a clearer picture of the game as a whole, but it really has grabbed my attention quickly.  Few MMORPG do that these days.

Interesting notes:

• I don't know if it is intentional or not, but I left my character logged in all night, and when I came back to the game this morning, he was still standing right where I left him.  There doesn't currently seem to be an inactivity timeout.
  • I have a dual monitor system, and one thing I hate about some games is that my other monitor often becomes useless while I'm gaming in one of them.  That's not the case with this game.  I can run it Windowed on one of my monitors and move seemlessly between them just like I would with any other app.  That may not seem important, but if you have dual monitors, you know how annoying it can be otherwise.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    What's I've seen of it reminds me of Lotro's graphics on DX10, though this is clearly better in some ways.

I thought the same thing.

I thought LOTRO did some landscapes really well..I remember riding around breetown the first time thinking this is a step above some mmorpg's in landscape design (I know that sounds odd but I noticed it).

I had the same feeling riding around certain parts of Wushu.

They both also have some bland areas but I suppose all games have that.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    • I don't know if it is intentional or not, but I left my character logged in all night, and when I came back to the game this morning, he was still standing right where I left him.  There doesn't currently seem to be an inactivity timeout.

Surprised you survived. I guess it depends on where you AFK though.

Just today, I was playing the mini-game with my crafter (Chef) and some random killed another lower random, standing next to me, forcing me out of the game and into combat. I almost killed the bugger, but he flew off, and I wasn't expecting/prepared for slowing him down (Tangman)/combat in the first place. Right after that someone ran infront of me with a kidnapped victim, so I took that character out at range with my daggers :)

When I first started on a trial account, I remember someone taking me out real fast while I was talking in tutorial. Seems to always be stuff/people out for Kills going on around me.

Probably not an inactivity timeout, because when you log your character just goes and works or is left at stall (if you set that up). So there isn't real leaving of the world.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I am SO freaking intrigued by this game, and I've heard differing opinions.  I played it for a little bit, but felt that the 1 hour at a time thing was going to make me keep checking the time to see what I had left.  So I rushed through, and missed information I think.  Then I read some stuff on mmorpg that kind of made me iffy.  But dammit, it seems like such a freakin' cool game...I think I might just bite the damn bullet.

A quick question or two while I re-download: I saw on the AoW website that it's possible to buy the game for $20ish, but it's also possible to get VIP buy paying gold - I'm guesing this is the in-game currency?  Is one option preferable over the other?  Do I buy in-game gold and convert it to play time/VIP status?  I'd look, but my lack of coherence after today severely limits my ability to comprehend even the simplest of things, so I'm throwing the questions out to the mmorpg crew...

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I am SO freaking intrigued by this game, and I've heard differing opinions.  I played it for a little bit, but felt that the 1 hour at a time thing was going to make me keep checking the time to see what I had left.  So I rushed through, and missed information I think.  Then I read some stuff on mmorpg that kind of made me iffy.  But dammit, it seems like such a freakin' cool game...I think I might just bite the damn bullet.

A quick question or two while I re-download: I saw on the AoW website that it's possible to buy the game for $20ish, but it's also possible to get VIP buy paying gold - I'm guesing this is the in-game currency?  Is one option preferable over the other?  Do I buy in-game gold and convert it to play time/VIP status?  I'd look, but my lack of coherence after today severely limits my ability to comprehend even the simplest of things, so I'm throwing the questions out to the mmorpg crew...

gold is the real money currency you spend in the cash shop. Like turbine points if you ever played that.

The Deluxe edition is the better deal while you can get it because for the price of two months of ViP you get two months of ViP and a horse and some gold to spend however you wish and some bags and the like.

Roger that, and thanks.  Deluxe it is.
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Its one of the few that is worth giving it that extra time to get to know the game before you make any decision. Fans of drunken master, seven samurai, crouching tiger hidden dragon or hero will love the combat styles offered in this game. Hell I got a kick out of just sitting near the duellers playing my music.

Just dont get caught out by the rush or ready reward mentality and you will find a real gem in this one. Information is starting to come out on the systems which does help as the game can be obtuse at times. This is just translation problems and getting to know some people or join a guild will make things much easier.

Having timers on bags or some items is a little offputting but as I thought about it I realised this only affects casuals that log in once or twice a week. People that play often will always have enough money to cover what needs to be replaced.

Oh and cash shop. I ignore it. Some people cant and equate it with the presence of Satan. They are missing a good game not me.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I have not been able to switch it off since I got my beta key from this site.  I am totaly loving it.  I can't see it beeing for everybody but as the op states, I found it a breath a fresh air. The game needs some work and no mistake but I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy it.
    Originally posted by spookydom
    I have not been able to switch it off since I got my beta key from this site.  I am totaly loving it.  I can't see it beeing for everybody but as the op states, I found it a breath a fresh air. The game needs some work and no mistake but I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy it.

As you are a level 50 Batman, I respect your opinion. 

And as I'm pushing 40, I'm more inclined to enjoy the ride than to rush to get something done.  Like I said, the hour-long time period was wearing on me, and I wanted to get as much in as possible.  I really started to enjoy myself, but I forgot half the stuff that was going on.  I'll go deluxe (almost finished extracting now) and pace myself.  Just have to do some guild research, which should take a bit of time as well. 

Thanks for the input, folks.