Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your concerns about TESO?

DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

I have been arguably a huge skeptic of TESO. Hell back at announce I started the FB betrayal page. Ive cooled down but I still have some concerns.

1. Faction Lock. Now I know the PVPers will come in here and say its necessary for pvp but I ask you wouldnt 3 OPEN factions which you have the chance to join net the same thing? Hypothetically, what if there was 3 factions who are all race mixed but wanna rule Tamriel for different reasons? Why cant I as a Bosmer pick one of those three instead of being forced into one? Also this is terrible for a lot of guilds mine included, none of us can agree on which faction to roll.

2. If I remember correctly in one of the videos a dev said once you get to 50 the game really opens up. This implies that leveling isnt really all that important. Why cant leveling be jsut all relevent as cap? This is why I now support level less games.

3. What if RVR sucks? This is a PVP focused game after all and what if the RvR is abysmal?

4. Classes, now I know they are loose classes by why have them to begin with? Why cant you be like Skyrim allowing you to level up skills and mixing them together?

5. Announcement seemed more like Damage Control for the incoming Shit storm. If I remember correctly they said Player housing wasnt possible and neither was true action combat. Even though weve seen both work and work well.

6. Obvious wow clone worries. The western dev market has been pretty bleak the recent years. With either devs releasing to early or releasing blatant wow clones.

What do you guys think? What are your concerns? Now please be constructive with any feedback you have. I dont want this turning into a fanboy vs hater thread.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

My only real concern is that they release an unfinished product.

Also they need to have a pretty comprehensive end game, I am looking forward to the RvR but there needs to be a lot more than just that

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

My only real concern at the moment is if they read these forums. So many bad ideas, so little time.

Well that and a bad release version, that generally kills most MMOs before they get started.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    1 megaserver. They've painted themselves into a corner with this.

Traditional servers would address your first point. They could go the daoc route, most servers would have core ruleset with segregated pve and pvp to suit people who like both but not together or those that value realm pride. Ffa servers for those that want to go anywhere and fight anyone and claim keeps and what have you for their guild. Coop servers for those that want to go anywhere group / guild with anyone and don't care about pvp.

Your second point if its like daoc there will be months and months (heck years) of mainly horizontal progression one you hit level cap.

Your third point, having proper servers will make it better, you need tight faction locks to make rvr work. It's why planetside 2 works and is balanced its why gw2 and tsw don't / aren't.

4 well prior to skyrim the games had classes. I'm wary of use skills to improve them systems from all the macroing and afk leveling in darkfall. I would have preferred no classes and an eve or tsw type progression system. Or go the other way and go nuts with 40+ classes like daoc.

Point 5 I always took with a pinch of salt, seen as the two less devs worked on daoc and uo and both had good housing systems.

Point 6 nah not concerned its a wow clone. They've said several un wow things. E.g. equality of pve / pvp / crafted gear (rather than raiders first), no stupid separate pve/ pvp stats. No arena / bg style instanced pvp. No quest hubs. Exploring and compass from skyrim, oblivion style combat,. Daoc / EQ style dungeons, soul harvesting system etc.. I have one concern though, that they over do the "you are the hero" story stuff and it ends up with a swtor like cooprpg feel.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

No free roaming open world but rather faction locked zones is my main concern.

Then this megaserver thing is nonsense. No way a computer knows better than me which server crowd I want to play with. It is just a stupid cost saving "feature" when the inevitable drop of population occus so they dont have to merge servers.

Classes. Like you said, why have classes at all and not Skyrim skill based system?

Obviously the wow clone concern is there as for all ThemePark MMO's.

Not being Skyrim Online. This one is pretty certain at this point. Game will most likely resemble WAR/WOW and even DAoC rather than Skyrim.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

1. The Mega Server. If it ends up making the game feel disjointed and I'm just seeing random people in RvR rather than the same friends and foes, I will not be happy.

2. Endgame progression. I want to gain new abilities and/or customize existing ones by using PvP points (Alliance points, as they're calling it). If the only endgame progression is getting new gear, I'm not interested.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I'm just burnt out on this style of MMO. We don't need yet another one.

Joined - July 2004

Ogre they have alliance ranks, which from the description are like renown ranks.
    Remy how?
    The last mmos with these features were over 10 years ago.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    As pvpr locked factions as in true factions is fine picking faction later is great too. The problem is faction locked teritoy ala swtor. No Capitol raids... on top of that no wpvp, just Apvp. It puts a loooot of pressure on cyrodiil to be amazing. If not even the great looking combat and itemizarion wont save eso
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Remy how?
    The last mmos with these features were over 10 years ago.

People like this have already made up their minds. Best just let it go, ShakyMo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

4 well prior to skyrim the games had classes. I'm wary of use skills to improve them systems from all the macroing and afk leveling in darkfall. I would have preferred no classes and an eve or tsw type progression system. Or go the other way and go nuts with 40+ classes like daoc.

It's probably important to note that though there were classes, the classes derived from what skills were available.

It was more along the lines of "these are our skills; what types of classes can be made from this bucket of skills if we were to infer classes".

I think they were more suggestions for those people who had an idea of what they wanted to play. An easier way to lump together skills that might define a class that was in someone's mind.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

My biggest concern is that the game is not going to be able to capture that feeling of "wanderlust" that made Skyrim so great for me.

That instead it is going to feel far too derived and linear and predetermined.

That, and the combat is not going to live up  to the fun/thrill of melee combat in Skyrim.

There was just something so... epic about facing down a massive dragon with nothing but a Sword and a Shield.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well regarding the older games having classes, it was only in a loose sense. The 'classes' of older titles were assembled skill and progression bonuses that did not lock you into anything beyond  a matter of what your core leveling attributes were. Everything else was still entirely open to you progressing as normal.

I've made my complaint somewhat long winded before, it just doesn't seem to me that they are building a 'world' like Bethesda strives for in the single player games. I generally fear that the game is going to be too mechanical for me to enjoy.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by BadSpock

My biggest concern is that the game is not going to be able to capture that feeling of "wanderlust" that made Skyrim so great for me.

That instead it is going to feel far too derived and linear and predetermined.

That, and the combat is not going to live up  to the fun/thrill of melee combat in Skyrim.

There was just something so... epic about facing down a massive dragon with nothing but a Sword and a Shield.

This is pretty much where I'm at.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I share many concerns as the rest of you all.  Mega Server, I am 50-50 on.  I never wanted to roll on a pvp server, but some of my friends did.  So this does make it so I can play with any of them but, it worries me that  saying "This is a pvp server, have some respect" can not be a valid argument any longer.

My BIGGEST concern  is the community in it. We all know, every game has its bad eggs but quite frankly, those eggs are coming in bigger batchs now a days. There have been so many "quickly produced" MMO themeparks that cater to a more "dumbed down" mindset, it will product sub-par players intertwining with those who genuinely wish to enjoy the experience the creators have pathed out for us.  This is a big reason for many games now a days that I do not play an MMO currently. I for one have never minded PUGS, it made things different for me, new personalities and a chance to make a new friend or ally. Yet , with SW:TOR, WoW, TSW, and TERA -(dear god, the filth that spewed out from some there *shudder*)- , those new friends were far and inbetween.

Naturally it does come down to "its easy, just /ignore them", but that isn't the point of my concern. It becomes a virus of the mind that no amount of ignoring can comfort, it leaves me feeling sad for my future... of gaming and of life.

(on the subject, wasnt there a game that had a limit to how many people you could ignore? I think so, just can't remember) :) 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Province Lock.
    Combat.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

I have many concerns but I won't keep repeating them. it gets old hearing the same thing over and over. I would suggest, If they intend to be subscription based MMO at the start, intergrate F2P in early so that when it is shown the game is failing to capture the huge sales projected, they don't have to waste resources on a conversion. make it so a flip of a swtich and you can start printing money with cosmetics and XP boosters. it saves a lot of time in the long run.

Unless it's B2P right off the bat which would also save allot of time.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

PVP wise, I'm afraid that only form of PVP will be WvW zergs, similar to GW2, with no rewards or ranking system. No warzones, arena or any kind of competitive PVP whatsoever.

PVE wise, I'm afraid TESO might have maps similar to SWTOR planets, fully on rails, with lots of instancing and zoning, with no alternative leveling zones thus no replayability within faction. Also, quick leveling to level 50 and weak personal story similar to GW2.

My point being, people hype some new game thinking that obviously,  it will build upon best features of previous games (DAoC, EQ, WoW).  In reality,  recent history teaches us that new games rarely manage to reach quality of certain features of older games that they were building upon (Warhammer, SWTOR and GW2 to a certain extent).

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

That it'll be heavily PvP-focused.  Already a lot of emphasis seems to be placed on PvP in features and such.

The combat being done by the mouse looked a bit odd too, but i've not read much about that tbh.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• dynamicipftwdynamicipftw Member UncommonPosts: 206

As a PvPer, my concerns are PvP related:

1) How will we be able to progress in PvP? Kills? Keeps?

2) Will the game allow for many different playstyles like daoc? (8v8, zerging, soloing) Or is one playstyle going to be much more effective than the others?

3) Is defending keeps going to be more rewarding than letting your enemy take it and then taking it back? (keep trading)

4) How powerful will you become after doing PvP progression for 1-2 years? Will you be able to 1shot newbies (too powerful) or will you be barely stronger than a newbie (too weak)? It is difficult to get it right. I feel only daoc got it right.

5) How will they marry the mega-server tech with PvP? Will you fight different opponents and have different allies each day? Will you be able to change "teams" easily? It will lead to no rivalries like in GW2. But then again you have no option to leave your team you may be stuck in empty zones/matchups.

Originally posted by arieste

That it'll be heavily PvP-focused.  Already a lot of emphasis seems to be placed on PvP in features and such.

This I sort of agree with, its made me somewhat nervous too.

I'm looking forward to the RvR, don't get me wrong but I do want plenty of PvE to do at end game aswell and we have so far seen nothing on what pve will offer at cap and I for one am fed up with having no pve end game in new releases (looking at you swtor/gw2)

Originally posted by dynamicipftw

As a PvPer, my concerns are PvP related:

1) How will we be able to progress in PvP? Kills? Keeps?

2) Will the game allow for many different playstyles like daoc? (8v8, zerging, soloing) Or is one playstyle going to be much more effective than the others?

3) Is defending keeps going to be more rewarding than letting your enemy take it and then taking it back? (keep trading)

4) How powerful will you become after doing PvP progression for 1-2 years? Will you be able to 1shot newbies (too powerful) or will you be barely stronger than a newbie (too weak)? It is difficult to get it right. I feel only daoc got it right.

5) How will they marry the mega-server tech with PvP? Will you fight different opponents and have different allies each day? Will you be able to change "teams" easily? It will lead to no rivalries like in GW2. But then again you have no option to leave your team you may be stuck in empty zones/matchups.

5. has been answered, you get assigned a campaign and that will act like your server would in other games, its perminant, will cost allience points (pvp progression) to change and you cant be in the same campaign as an alt on a different faction

rest i'm not sure on tho

A good site for info is tamrielfoundry.com, especially their dev faq section

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by dynamicipftw
    As a PvPer, my concerns are PvP related:1) How will we be able to progress in PvP? Kills? Keeps?2) Will the game allow for many different playstyles like daoc? (8v8, zerging, soloing) Or is one playstyle going to be much more effective than the others?3) Is defending keeps going to be more rewarding than letting your enemy take it and then taking it back? (keep trading)4) How powerful will you become after doing PvP progression for 1-2 years? Will you be able to 1shot newbies (too powerful) or will you be barely stronger than a newbie (too weak)? It is difficult to get it right. I feel only daoc got it right.5) How will they marry the mega-server tech with PvP? Will you fight different opponents and have different allies each day? Will you be able to change "teams" easily? It will lead to no rivalries like in GW2. But then again you have no option to leave your team you may be stuck in empty zones/matchups.

Why not: "Do i need to PvE to PvP?"

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    my only concern is that its nothing like the elder scrolls.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

I have been arguably a huge skeptic of TESO. Hell back at announce I started the FB betrayal page. Ive cooled down but I still have some concerns.

1. Faction Lock. Now I know the PVPers will come in here and say its necessary for pvp but I ask you wouldnt 3 OPEN factions which you have the chance to join net the same thing? Hypothetically, what if there was 3 factions who are all race mixed but wanna rule Tamriel for different reasons? Why cant I as a Bosmer pick one of those three instead of being forced into one? Also this is terrible for a lot of guilds mine included, none of us can agree on which faction to roll.

2. If I remember correctly in one of the videos a dev said once you get to 50 the game really opens up. This implies that leveling isnt really all that important. Why cant leveling be jsut all relevent as cap? This is why I now support level less games.

3. What if RVR sucks? This is a PVP focused game after all and what if the RvR is abysmal?

4. Classes, now I know they are loose classes by why have them to begin with? Why cant you be like Skyrim allowing you to level up skills and mixing them together?

5. Announcement seemed more like Damage Control for the incoming Shit storm. If I remember correctly they said Player housing wasnt possible and neither was true action combat. Even though weve seen both work and work well.

6. Obvious wow clone worries. The western dev market has been pretty bleak the recent years. With either devs releasing to early or releasing blatant wow clones.

What do you guys think? What are your concerns? Now please be constructive with any feedback you have. I dont want this turning into a fanboy vs hater thread.

OP I agree with your list, they are on my list also which includes the massive change to the look of the Elvish races to that of the typical fantasy elf look, its a slap in the face to long time TES fans...and then comes the changes to the lore being done to match their DaoC clone game, factions are segregated and their zones are cut off from others...and the PvP zones which all factions are trying to take over during a time when IT WASNT HAPPENING. Races were not just living in their homelands at the time of the 2nd era.

The first 430 years of 2E was peaceful under the rule of the Ayleid, that year the last leader of the empire is assissinated with no heirs and the empire fell...and the FIRST attack against Tamriel was in *572* but was stopped at Morrowind, nobody took over the old empire during this time, there were no massive wars between three factions and Tiber Septim came in at the end of 2E and united the lands.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson